First Avenger Why Does Everyone Want a Body-Building Captain America?

Anybody who wants DiCaprio as Cap is stupid.

I want Leo for Cap and I'm actually quite intelligent.

I'd rather have an completely capable actor as Cap than a piss-poor actor.

Thanks. Some people, like Arc, have more push for look than talent. And his look isn't far off at all.

How would you feel if Wolverine was played by Ryan Reynolds? He can act, but doesn't fit wolverine at all. And Dicaprio looks like a little boy, Cap doesn't

How would you feel if Wolverine was played by Ryan Reynolds? He can act, but doesn't fit wolverine at all. And Dicaprio looks like a little boy, Cap doesn't

Ryan Reynolds can act? HAH.

He's a very average actor, whereas Dicaprio is among his generation's finest actors.

Comparing Leo's acting ability to Ryan Reynolds is like comparing Freud to Dr. Phil in terms of credibility.

Wasn't Smokin' Aces a universally bashed Tarantino rip off?

I'm not sure. I haven't read the critics reviews.

If it was its the best Tarantino rip-off I've ever seen. If you're a fan of Brian Michael Bendis you'll love it.

Dicaprio is filling out with age and no longer looks like a boy, but an adult. He's even filling out his frame, go check out some of the set pictures from Shutter Island.

Yeah, he's not physically perfect, but he's a very talented actor and certainly he's been choosing roles which have required him to be more physical lately. He's certainly believable as an undercover cop or mercenary. And Body of Lies and Shutter Island are continuing that trend.

Heck, we don't know how much he could buff up as he's never been asked to do that before.

I'm not saying that he's an ideal choice, but he's certainly a lot closer to ideal than any bodybuilder and he most certainly could hold his own against Robert Downey Jr. and Edward Norton in a movie.

Edit: I know this isn't the best, but does this photo look like a skinny boy?

ashecliffe2.jpg

Well no actor is going to devote 75% of his time to lifting & 25% of it to the skill of acting, if they do, I can assure you they won't be a good actor. Actors study the art of acting to be as good as they can be, so you're never going to find a 'roided out one who can act, including Arnold. He got catapulted into acting because he was huge, he's gotten better over the years, but not close to being an Oscar worthy actor. So if you want a 'Dark Knight' style movie for Cap, forget about getting a muscular guy. You want the movie to be good? or do you just want to look at a guy?

Exactly.

I don't want some crappy popcorn flick I'll never watch again.

I want this to be a fine piece of movie. That requires a fine actor.

Thank God, someone with a little sense,lol.

So many people here would be completely satisfied with a Captain America flick on the quality level of Blade or Daredevil. I don't want an average movie.

Captain America deserves to be as good as Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, Richard Donnor's Superman and other comic movies that were actually taken seriously as films; people don't realize that the average comic book movie is objectively a p.o.s. and that the only reason they enjoy them are that they are fans of the characters.

This board is full of people who have pigeon holed Cap as a bland, jigonistic 1 dimensional hero, that can easily be played by a d-list actor. Cap is just as intricate as Batman. There are so many mixed emotions that go along with the character; he's an 80 year old man in a 25 year old's body. He's a symbol of a nation that has lost it's way. He's not just some smiling square-jawed musclehead.

So many people here would be completely satisfied with a Captain America flick on the quality level of Blade or Daredevil. I don't want an average movie.

Captain America deserves to be as good as Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, Richard Donnor's Superman and other comic movies that were actually taken seriously as films; people don't realize that the average comic book movie is objectively a p.o.s. and that the only reason they enjoy them are that they are fans of the characters.

This board is full of people who have pigeon holed Cap as a bland, jigonistic 1 dimensional hero, that can easily be played by a d-list actor. Cap is just as intricate as Batman. There are so many mixed emotions that go along with the character; he's an 80 year old man in a 25 year old's body. He's a symbol of a nation that has lost it's way. He's not just some smiling square-jawed musclehead.

Well put brother, should start a thread just with this post. I agree 100%. Cap is as conflicted, maybe even more, then Batman you can argue. If you want the writer's words to have a feeling & believability to them...get an actor. Not a wrstler/bodybuilder/freak who can only utter a few lines here & there.

Well no actor is going to devote 75% of his time to lifting & 25% of it to the skill of acting, if they do, I can assure you they won't be a good actor. Actors study the art of acting to be as good as they can be, so you're never going to find a 'roided out one who can act, including Arnold. He got catapulted into acting because he was huge, he's gotten better over the years, but not close to being an Oscar worthy actor. So if you want a 'Dark Knight' style movie for Cap, forget about getting a muscular guy. You want the movie to be good? or do you just want to look at a guy?

It should to be a compromise of acting skill and looking look the character. Like what they did with Bale in Batman.

It should to be a compromise of acting skill and looking look the character. Like what they did with Bale in Batman.

Leo is that compromise. He's not a small man; watch The Departed, he's the biggest guy in the whole movie.

Well I agree. Bale can be a good actor. And yes he did bulk up to play Batman. But he is believable, in 200lb. range Im guessing, not hardly a steroid freak.

Well I agree. Bale can be a good actor. And yes he did bulk up to play Batman. But he is believable, in 200lb. range Im guessing, not hardly a steroid freak.

Yeah exactly. a 240 lb cap just isn't doable. I'd be fine with a 200 lb Cap.

Right Kang. The 3 things you need for CAp to be kick ass is, IMO

1.The Writer
2. Director
3. the actor

if those 3 are a good team, the rest will take care of itself.

DiCaprio doesn't look like a little boy anymore. See pics in thread.

And as much as I like Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool, and like is a stretch, he is not a good actor. So I would hate it.

DiCaprio looks like a little boy man please. I didn't say anything about no WCW wreatlers or anything about his acting skills. Quite throwing words in my mouth.

Then don't say stupid stuff like voting for DiCaprio makes me stupid. I haven't heard a legitimate choice from you yet. You show us a picture of Gamble from TDK and suggest that their are actors out there who are as big as superheroes. Well he is not a good/great actor which is why he plays a side character in a movie who is one dimensional and dies. He is in TDK for like 5 minutes!

I agree on some level that DiCaprio looks young but he could still play Cap. All I hear from other people is that DiCaprio is too young and Pitt is too old. Well make a damn suggestion then and don't call people stupid.

That's why I want DiCaprio or Pitt.

Why the hell does the actor playing Cap have to give a oscar worthy performance? As long as the actor does a good job it doesn't matter. You can wish for a CA movie to be on the same level as TDK but it's probably not gonna happen because Marvel doesn't seem to want to go that far. So get over it and be happy you're even getting a CA movie.

Five years ago, it would've been no to Leo. It might be a possibility now, though. And yeah, I was about to compare Captain America to a gymnast. They gain their strength and physique from training with the bars and rings. Cap can be the same way. The film needs a guy who can act well and give the character depth. Take a look at Christian Bale from Rescue Dawn, then Batman from The Dark Knight. The body can always change, but only a select few know how to put on a convincing performance.

Oh, and Cap needs a darker, less... radiant suit for the film. "Sky-blue" just won't work.

If Leo DiCaprio wanted the role, Marvel would be absolutely crazy not to make it happen...period! He's an international star that would push the picture overseas, and he's got all the acting cred to make this movie not a camp adventure of overblown patriotism. As far as his physique...are you kidding me? Have you'll seen Jake GykelRESFsfes whatever, and his bulking up for Prince of Persia? Leo would hit the weights and get bulked and ripped for the role, so considering that girls swoon for him (see Titanic's B.O.) and he's got tons of acting cred...seems like they should pick him if he wants it...or maybe Matt Damon.

Why the hell does the actor playing Cap have to give a oscar worthy performance? As long as the actor does a good job it doesn't matter. You can wish for a CA movie to be on the same level as TDK but it's probably not gonna happen because Marvel doesn't seem to want to go that far. So get over it and be happy you're even getting a CA movie.

See this is the exact STUPID attitude most fans have who want a body-builder Cap.

Cap deserves justice in his portrayal. And some big meat head won't give it to him. And what do you know about what Marvel wants and doesn't want? Iron Man was a high quality movie, Hulk was good. We know NOTHING about Cap right now. I just hope they honor the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"