First Avenger Why Does Everyone Want a Body-Building Captain America?

See this is the exact STUPID attitude most fans have who want a body-builder Cap.

Cap deserves justice in his portrayal. And some big meat head won't give it to him. And what do you know about what Marvel wants and doesn't want? Iron Man was a high quality movie, Hulk was good. We know NOTHING about Cap right now. I just hope they honor the character.

I know right...it's like...See TDK's results as more than evident proof of what a well hyped movie can do.

I know right...it's like...See TDK's results as more than evident proof of what a well hyped movie can do.

The hype was good. It just had many elements Cap won't be able to duplicate or find it difficult to do all of them.

TDK was a sequel to a critically acclaimed financially successful movie that made Batman relevant again. It had an all-star cast. The director had proven he can do the character justice. Whatever doubts about ledger as Joker disappeared once the trailers were released and he expected to be an awesome Joker just from that. It had a famous, talented, handsome actor dying under mysterious circumstances who looked like he was doing a better job in the same role as Jack Nicolson just from seeing the trailers months before the film was released and it was a higher profile franchise then Cap.

Its experimental and greatly executed marketing just capitalized on the momentum from all the above to its maximum potential.

Michael Jai White is built like Cap in the comics. He's not white, but he's an actor in Hollywood that's built like him.

20070704-michael-ja-iwhite-2.jpg

I know somebodies gonna reply to this and say he can't act.

If only he were white!! Yeah he has the body. I don't know about his face though. Even if he were white he doesn't have the strong jaw I don't think.I agree with Kang that acting is definitely important but this role is about being a believable Captain America so just throwing some oscar award winner into the role could never work.I think they will obviously have to compromise on both acting and look. They will probably have to sacrifice some acting experience to get at least a strong looking muscular man and they will have to sacrifice the look by ton to get at least someone with some good talent. And to me being a Pacino/Day Lewis isn't what this part is about. It's about have a prescence about you and being able to take command of the part. As Arnold and Stallone can easliy do. This movie is going to be laughable though because there is noone in the world who looks like Captain America. They wrote the character to be so perfect that it ruined the chance to ever have a believable movie.Guess at least we have the cartoon versions which are pretty good.

Movie magic can make an actor look larger/smaller/shorter/taller. Do you think that Ron Perlman is really that big now? He's wearing a body suit. Tobey Maguire had a body double to do the "skinny Parker" stuff.

Find an actor...and mold them to the role. I would be thrilled to death if Pitt or DiCaprio played Cap. Both could easily pull it off with a little movie magic. I would be more thrilled if they used less movie magic and actually worked out.

Honestly Cap doesn't need to be Mike O'hearn big...he just needs to be Bale/Reynolds type size. Cap is the perfect human, not the perfect body builder. Remember that way back when they started doing superhero comics Steve Reeves was considered the perfect male... This is what they had in mind when they created Captain America...

sreev006.jpg
sreeves3.jpg

Not...

bodybuilder.jpg
917B20A6BE353420124115B1A511C7.jpg

This seems like about the physique we can expect though...

cin_bale.jpg
ryan_reynolds_99.jpg

hugh_3-791989.jpg

Rage

Movie magic can make an actor look larger/smaller/shorter/taller. Do you think that Ron Perlman is really that big now? He's wearing a body suit. Tobey Maguire had a body double to do the "skinny Parker" stuff.

Find an actor...and mold them to the role. I would be thrilled to death if Pitt or DiCaprio played Cap. Both could easily pull it off with a little movie magic. I would be more thrilled if they used less movie magic and actually worked out.

Honestly Cap doesn't need to be Mike O'hearn big...he just needs to be Bale/Reynolds type size. Cap is the perfect human, not the perfect body builder. Remember that way back when they started doing superhero comics Steve Reeves was considered the perfect male... This is what they had in mind when they created Captain America...

sreev006.jpg
sreeves3.jpg

Not...

bodybuilder.jpg
917B20A6BE353420124115B1A511C7.jpg

This seems like about the physique we can expect though...

cin_bale.jpg
ryan_reynolds_99.jpg

hugh_3-791989.jpg

Rage

D-A-M-N!!!! Those dudes are HUGE...maybe for the role of Guido!

Anybody who wants DiCaprio as Cap is stupid.

Who's the real idiot? The person who wants Leo, or the person insulting the guy who wants Leo :whatever:

Sorry, if you're gonna insult me, I won't play nice.

I actually like the idea of giving Cap a gun. All soldiers carry guns, and the military might want to provide him with a gun. He might be tempted to use the weapon at first, but his personality will ultimately decide whether or not he will kill. He'd probably go through a learning process, and could start off killing several people in a matter of moments. Character development is key, and we'd probably start with him being a bit irresponsible. We would see bodies scattered everywhere, and as time passes he'd begin to question if what he did was right. The gun could be used as a symbol of some sort, and a way of adding even more conflict to the character.

Imagine how epic the film could be if the actor successfully pulls off such convincing sequences. With a good screenplay and excellent acting, we could get a terrific film.

Those pictures that Rage posted of the huge super sterioided up guys are completely fake. Let me explain. The first pic of the black guy is photoshoped to make him look cartoonish big. He is big but not THAT big. That is a tricked up photo. Also that fool that looks like he is straining to flex himself till he keels over - that is a real photo BUT that man is known to be a lunatic and actually pumps a type of glue into his arms to make his arms look freakishly big. It's not that much different than getting implants for women. That guy uses sythol (pump and pose). Like I said it's a thick substance you inject into areas of your body and they harder to look like muscles. It's also very dangerous to do.
Lasty that picture that Rage posted of Steve Reeves is really perfect to me. That is about what Captain America should look like. But Leo or Pitt or any of these actors could never in a million years look like that good unless they had devoted their lives to bodybuilding.
Anyway, don't get me wrong this movie needs a great actor. But you have to "act" with your body as much as from within for this role and there is nobody who can make this movie believable with their look at all.
It's a shame there aren't any really well built actors anymore. Everyone is so average it's not even funny. The days of Arnold/Stallone/Van Damme are gone it seems.
There is no hope for this movie but it's fun to see Marvel spin there wheels with this.

Those pictures that Rage posted of the huge super sterioided up guys are completely fake. Let me explain. The first pic of the black guy is photoshoped to make him look cartoonish big. He is big but not THAT big. That is a tricked up photo. Also that fool that looks like he is straining to flex himself till he keels over - that is a real photo BUT that man is known to be a lunatic and actually pumps a type of glue into his arms to make his arms look freakishly big. It's not that much different than getting implants for women. That guy uses sythol (pump and pose). Like I said it's a thick substance you inject into areas of your body and they harder to look like muscles. It's also very dangerous to do.
Lasty that picture that Rage posted of Steve Reeves is really perfect to me. That is about what Captain America should look like. But Leo or Pitt or any of these actors could never in a million years look like that good unless they had devoted their lives to bodybuilding.
Anyway, don't get me wrong this movie needs a great actor. But you have to "act" with your body as much as from within for this role and there is nobody who can make this movie believable with their look at all.
It's a shame there aren't any really well built actors anymore. Everyone is so average it's not even funny. The days of Arnold/Stallone/Van Damme are gone it seems.
There is no hope for this movie but it's fun to see Marvel spin there wheels with this.

You're the guy who wants the Hulked-up Cap. Acting is the key to the film's success. When you say 'there's no hope for this movie', you're simply assuming this film needs a giant to succeed. You think this film's 'hope' relies on whether or not Cap is a giant.

Have you even seen any classic or recent Captain America depictions? He's no where near the giant you make him out to be. The film needs a good story, stellar acting, and a serious, dramatic tone. Casting a one-dimensional body builder won't make this film any better. It may even make the film worse.

Turtle those pics you post are from the 50's and that was HUGE back then. In 90 percent of Captain Comics he looks like this:

And I don't want a Hulk Captain America. No way. That would be wrong. I would want a good actor not just some bodybuilder. The Steve Reeves vintage bodybuilding picture Rage posted is my idea of a great Captain America.
Captain America is a super solider with a Rambo heart and he's on steroids. Captain America is a roided up guy. Haha. So I mean come on you can't have some average joe blow looking actor in the role. And you can't have some slightly better looking that average looking guy in the role.
I'm just stating that this movie won't be believable in the least. There is nobody who looks like Captain America. This isn't Batman who is in the dark half the time or Superman who doesn't need muscle because he already has superpowers. - This is Captain America. He was created to be the most perfect man. So whala there is nobody that meets that standard. You guys let me down here. I was hoping you would have found somebody that was close at least with all the casting threads you have here.

I dont think an 'oscar worthy' performance is what Marvel should shoot for. After all, is only a handful of films that would even be close enough to get that nod. Would be unrealistic of Marvel to say they want a shot at making oscar caliber films as well as haul in money. It would be nice if Cap's actor did,lol But not necessary. Just be like Bale as Batman. Bale is not going to win an Oscar for Batman, but he does act well as Bruce Wayne. Thats all Cap needs. And he can get that from a well honed actor.

Geezus Christ. All they need to do is get a good performer that's in generally good shape. Beef him up a little, and that's it.

This should not be an argument. They won't get some crappy bodybuilder like Mike O'Hearn to do the role.

Geezus Christ. All they need to do is get a good performer that's in generally good shape. Beef him up a little, and that's it.

This should not be an argument. They won't get some crappy bodybuilder like Mike O'Hearn to do the role.

Yes indeed I have heard about that, a good performer is more important. :bh:

Get a good actor with a good body and let him do the same training as the Spartan actors from 300. Then we're good to go.

Why the hell does the actor playing Cap have to give a oscar worthy performance? As long as the actor does a good job it doesn't matter. You can wish for a CA movie to be on the same level as TDK but it's probably not gonna happen because Marvel doesn't seem to want to go that far. So get over it and be happy you're even getting a CA movie.

We don't need an Oscar worthy performance. I agree with that but why wouldn't you want a big name like Pitt and DiCaprio. I know you don't like DiCaprio's look but I can't blame Marvel for looking at two actors who sell every movie they do. Getting one of their faces on screen will help sell more than anything else. I remember how mad some people got about RDJ jr. playing Tony Stark. He was too old, and had a bad history. But he became Tony Stark bc he is a good actor and no one had a problem with it when the movie came out. Same with Edward Norton, he has the acting over the looks.

See this is the exact STUPID attitude most fans have who want a body-builder Cap.

Cap deserves justice in his portrayal. And some big meat head won't give it to him. And what do you know about what Marvel wants and doesn't want? Iron Man was a high quality movie, Hulk was good. We know NOTHING about Cap right now. I just hope they honor the character.

Just because I'm not expecting an oscar worthy performance from who evers gonna play Cap that means I want a body-builder that can't act? It seems to me like you want this to be a Godfather. Iron Man and Hulk was no where near anything like that so it doesn't seem like Marvel wants to go that far.

how many topless scenes are we expecting, they'd be like 2/3 max, no point fussing too much on it, they'll cgi it accordingly and probably add some bulk to the costume.

the thing is peak human condition is a concept everyone is alien to. it may not actually be muscly at all in a normal form. they may have the super soldier serum make anyone perform in a peak human condition and not necessarily LOOK in peak human condition.

let's think about it. We need an actor who can play both the skinny pre-formulae cap and also the post serum cap.

wouldn't a super soldier serum that enhanced performance rather than physique be a concept the studios might look at, this way it opens up cap's role to those who are worthy of it based on acting merit rather than physique.

just get mat damon in the role and let's be done with all this arguing.

That picture is not even Captain America. That's Rob Liefield's Fighting American. And as Liefield has little concept of anatomy, he's not exactly the best artist to use as reference for casting.

This doesn't look like a linebacker to me:

captainamericabk8.jpg

It looks like a gymnast.

81658675gq1.jpg

Cap is a world class gymnast, and is built like one. They need a guy with muscle, yes, but he also has to be flexible enough to do the acrobatic moves Cap is known for.
Exactly and actually a gymnast is actually in better physical condition,as he can use and command his body to perform things that can only be done if his body is in top Physical condition.
A linebacker packs on as much weight as possible and can move at great speeds perferct if we were casting the Rhino.
A body builder looks in good condition hence the name bodybuilding it's more art that agility being the slowest of the three.
But neither the linebacker or the bodybuilder have the agility or physical peak of a gymnast and they are extremy strong don't kid yourself.

The logic of some of the people here is ridiculous.

Bodybuilders that can act? Sorry, they are in very short supply.

Just because its a good performer doesn't mean it will be an oscar level performance.

And what is wrong with a person in reasonably good shape that can just get big? Seriously. Enough of the ridiculous BS.

Yeah... enough of the ridiculous BS... like lecturing people on a message board because they are silly fanboys. Whatever. Carry on...

Just because I'm not expecting an oscar worthy performance from who evers gonna play Cap that means I want a body-builder that can't act? It seems to me like you want this to be a Godfather. Iron Man and Hulk was no where near anything like that so it doesn't seem like Marvel wants to go that far.

I think they should shoot the best movie they possibly can.

I just don't want this to turn into another ****ing Daredevil or Ghost Rider; if Cap is anything less than Iron Man quality, I'll be massively dissapointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"