why hal jordan is the best choise for green lantern film

I know Hal is the most well-known and the title is doing better with him, but i still think a movie would be best from Kyle's point of view because his story is more of a zero to hero story. He's just some self-doubting young artist who has a crap load of power and responisbilty thrown into his lap. He learns and develops.

Im not knocking Hal, hes a great character too, but i think to make a movie a comic has to be changed to fit a wider audience unless the entire population has started picking up comics every week.

Also the power of the ring is based on the will-power and imagination of the bearer. Hal has the will-power and Kyle has the imagination. A hero struggling with his lack of imagination is not as interesting as a hero struggling with his lack of will-power.

Which ever direction a GL movie goes, Im right there though

If there's a GL film the film-makers wouldn't feel the need to follow the characterization of the comic books so closely. It's quite possible that they would portray Hal as both struggling to tap into his willpower and to free his imagination in order to unleash the full capabilities of the power ring.

^^^^prolly, i didnt even want to continue the argument cuz i'd like it either way but i thought i shud add that last bit about will-power vs. imagination.

pifpaf said:
i think hal will be a better choice
it was a better choice than kyle, not kyle is no good, but hal is better

more experience ,more effricient he have made is proof over the years like every guardians of the univers say: I knew Hal Jordan, I fought at his side. The Guardians never had a more noble or fearless officer.

Hal Jordan rose to become the greatest of the Green Lanterns faithfully surviving his masters the Guardians. Initially a cocky but natural Green Lantern, he soon found his place in the forefront of the Corps and as a founding member of the JLA. However over the years his career as GL slowly destroyed his personal life and his relationship with Carol Ferris, this forced Hal to mature and to begin questioning his position in the universe.

kyle is good no doubt but is like luke skywalker is good because is have no one to compare with because they are all dead if is was before he have been a good officer but not prodigy like hal was...

Kyle Rayner, he tends to use the ring in a limited fashion producing complex forms to complete simple tasks. He lacks the tuition of a true member of the Green Lantern Corps and perhaps because of this he is pushing the abilities of the ring to new lengths and into new areas. hal keep it simple form with efficency and will power

The Green Lantern Power Ring has rightly been called the most powerful weapon in the universe, yet it is far more than a simple weapon. Created by the now defunct Guardians of the Universe it was powered by their unique mental energies channelled via a large central power battery located on the planet Oa.

The Ring has the ability to shape a form of emerald energy to form physical constructs such as force bubbles, giant sized fists, body armour, etc. These forms are limited via the imagination and the will power of the user. The ring can also provide life support to the wear in hostile environments and any other persons the wielder chooses. The rings can propel the Lantern through space at many time the speed of light and have been observed opening up space warps in the past.

Another function of the ring to function as a database, language translator and communications device for the Green Lantern Corps. While primarily a scientific device the rings abilities are truly limited only by the mind of the wielder they have in the past been observed to produce effects that boarder on the verge of magic, these cases are normally dismissed by most observers. However now the last remaining ring is in the hands of Kyle Rayner, he tends to use the ring in a limited fashion producing complex forms to complete simple tasks. He lacks the tuition of a true member of the Green Lantern corp.

All the original power rings wielded by the GLC had to be charged from miniature power batteries once every 24 hours, the Guardians also placed an impurity into the energy supply so that the rings energies would not effect anything yellow. The reason for this was to stop the Lanterns becoming all powerful. The sole existing ring belongs to Kyle Rayner and does not possess the yellow impurity also his battery is formed from a fragment if the original main battery and is the rings sole power source. Recently it was revealed that the last surviving Guardian is able to create more rings (he offered one to Hal Jordan who turned him down realising that you can never turn back) so perhaps the Green Lantern Corps is not gone forever

I know im new here but I have to agree 100% HAL JORDAN would be the perfect Green Lantern version to be brought up to the big screen. :up:

Movies usually follow a guildline sort of like a roller coaster ride with ups and downs. Hal has these ups and downs perfectly. If you read the first Green Lantern issue from the new series it is easy to see it in movie form. Hal would make a great main charecter.

KingOfDreams said:
Hal's the best choice because the most well-known.
you right he is better know for more than one generation of reader kid

While some would not like this idea, I'd rather the GL movie somewhat be in several parts, focusing on Hal, Kyle, and John Stewart as they each come to grips with their powers, then in the final act have the entire Corps together take on their common enemy. Continuity would be somewhat messed up, but it would showcase how the character of GL is not just one like Bats or Supes.

terry78 said:
While some would not like this idea, I'd rather the GL movie somewhat be in several parts, focusing on Hal, Kyle, and John Stewart as they each come to grips with their powers, then in the final act have the entire Corps together take on their common enemy. Continuity would be somewhat messed up, but it would showcase how the character of GL is not just one like Bats or Supes.

Ideally that would be great but I do not think it would happen. With all of the people who have no clue who the GL corps are and would be extremely confused with the movie if it was confusing at all. Also suspense would just build up and then it would switch to another charecter. In a dream world where everyone knew about GL and there was a perfect script/producer/director then it would be awesome. But sadely there is no place called perfect, thats why they invented wallgreens right?

Antitang said:
Ideally that would be great but I do not think it would happen. With all of the people who have no clue who the GL corps are and would be extremely confused with the movie if it was confusing at all. Also suspense would just build up and then it would switch to another charecter. In a dream world where everyone knew about GL and there was a perfect script/producer/director then it would be awesome. But sadely there is no place called perfect, thats why they invented wallgreens right?

I dont think the GL Corps will be hard to explain. They are the Feds of the universe. You also have the whole "chosen one" aspect whihc haven been used many times before: Highlander, Matrix, etc.

i have right hal is the best because he stay the gl and kyle like the other become a another heros caled ion but anyway the book will be canceled

pifpaf said:
i have right hal is the best because he stay the gl and kyle like the other become a another heros caled ion but anyway the book will be canceled

ion is a 12 issue series.. soo noo it won't be... cancelled

Kyle Rayner is no longer Green Lantern. Thus he cannot play Green Lantern in a movie, bleh :p .

Hal is not the best of most likely choice for a movie GL. The best is Kyle Raynor. The most likely is John Stuart. Kyle is the best choice cause he's my favorite. Hal was always kind of stiff and a cliche of a fighter jock. Ugh! :down (Ugh because those 2 concepts don't mesh well) Kyle is just the better character, simply because I can identify with him better than Hal. So really you only have 2 choices John on Hal as they are the ones seen on TV. In other words they have more exposure outside of comics.

But another choice for a GL movie might be to side step the whole Hal/John/Kyle/Guy and the GL corps issue all together. How? Set it in the 40's and have it feature Alan Scott and his ring. Kyle may be my favorite ring bearer but Alan has the best costume and ring powers. Alans costume gives better visuals and it can (I've seen the evidence) be done well without tights at all. The only issue is that Alan didn't have any enemies that aren't 2000% chees-ball comic book villian from the 40's.

lars573 said:
Hal is not the best of most likely choice for a movie GL. The best is Kyle Raynor. The most likely is John Stuart. Kyle is the best choice cause he's my favorite. Hal was always kind of stiff and a cliche of a fighter jock. Ugh! :down (Ugh because those 2 concepts don't mesh well) Kyle is just the better character, simply because I can identify with him better than Hal. So really you only have 2 choices John on Hal as they are the ones seen on TV. In other words they have more exposure outside of comics.

You are in the minority. Hal Jordan is the most popular Green Lantern character for a reason. They brought him back in the comics for a reason.

But another choice for a GL movie might be to side step the whole Hal/John/Kyle/Guy and the GL corps issue all together. How? Set it in the 40's and have it feature Alan Scott and his ring. Kyle may be my favorite ring bearer but Alan has the best costume and ring powers. Alans costume gives better visuals and it can (I've seen the evidence) be done well without tights at all. The only issue is that Alan didn't have any enemies that aren't 2000% chees-ball comic book villian from the 40's.

Or how about just set it in the present day with...gasp...HAL JORDAN!

TheVileOne said:
You are in the minority. Hal Jordan is the most popular Green Lantern character for a reason. They brought him back in the comics for a reason.
Because DC needs the sales, and they are spineless.

There's nothing spineless about undoing something that never should've been done in the first place.

They didn't kill off Kyle either. They kept Kyle around and now he's Ion again.

I mean, when it comes down to it, this whole "Hal is the most popular GL" is a myth. He's certainly the most popular on this board, or say among older DC comics fans, but to assume that those are the only people who have exposure to or an opinion on Green Lantern is shortsighted.

And while Hal is a good GL, honestly, I've read some old stuff and some new stuff and the only way I could possibly call him my favorite is if I grew up on him. Stewart delivers better character, imho, in Mosaic and on the cartoons. Kyle delivers better ring-slinging every day of the week. Hal's just a cool quasi-rebel that is always right. I mean, if that's what you want to be, then I guess I can see why you might love him, but he has zero appeal for me.

I'd rather see a movie starring Kyle as a youngster, Guy as an anti-hero rebel or John Stewart as the best of all worlds, or as was suggested earlier, a progression of all three... an ensemble cast (gasp) what a shocking concept for a GL movie. From what I've seen, all Hal brings to the table is fanboyism:

And there are things I'm fanboyish about, so I'll be brief, but take Rebirth for example: They wanted to bring back Hal Jordan (that's cool, they brought back pink kryptonite and Kara Zor-El, why not...), but did they do a redemption story? Was there some deep internal struggle? Any character development for Hal at all?

None. Every single event was created to bring back the "good old days," with no innovation except MAYBE a new love interest. Guy Gardener. Hal Jordan. Weak Kyle Rayner. "The Devil Made Me Do It." No issues where addressed, they were simply retconned. The only thing Hal is bringing is Fanboyism.

Now if you're a fan, then that's the GREATEST THING IN THE WORLD, but honestly, guys, if you're not a Hal fan, at least to me, it's a big turn off. And certainly, if you're a Rayner, Stewart or Batman fan, or any of the other people Hal walks on to look cool, then it's downright disgusting.

True. But I still think that a GL movie about Alan Scott in the 40's could work too.

lars573 said:
True. But I still think that a GL movie about Alan Scott in the 40's could work too.

That too, though, I have to admit, that would make me want a WWII-era JSA movie...

I've never read much of Green Lantern but I have to say if I think GL I think Hal Jordan, he's a DC icon to me.

GL1 said:
I mean, when it comes down to it, this whole "Hal is the most popular GL" is a myth. He's certainly the most popular on this board, or say among older DC comics fans, but to assume that those are the only people who have exposure to or an opinion on Green Lantern is shortsighted.

I don't think it is. There's a reason people were so vocal about the Parallax Hal issue in the 90's. It was so bad that DC tried to placate fans by bringing Hal back as the Spectre. Its not a myth.

And while Hal is a good GL, honestly, I've read some old stuff and some new stuff and the only way I could possibly call him my favorite is if I grew up on him. Stewart delivers better character, imho, in Mosaic and on the cartoons. Kyle delivers better ring-slinging every day of the week. Hal's just a cool quasi-rebel that is always right. I mean, if that's what you want to be, then I guess I can see why you might love him, but he has zero appeal for me.

Hal's not always right. Read Emerald Dawn some time.

I'd rather see a movie starring Kyle as a youngster, Guy as an anti-hero rebel or John Stewart as the best of all worlds, or as was suggested earlier, a progression of all three... an ensemble cast (gasp) what a shocking concept for a GL movie. From what I've seen, all Hal brings to the table is fanboyism:

You don't need those elements. You just need to focus it on Hal Jordan, and have some of the other alien GL's for some support. That's it. You don't need 20 human GL's. I personally find it rather silly that they had 4 human GL's of Earth at the same time.

I don't see Hal as fanboyism, he's just the most recognizable and notable of all the Green Lanterns. Even the writers and characters see him as "the best." And they do that for a reason.

And there are things I'm fanboyish about, so I'll be brief, but take Rebirth for example: They wanted to bring back Hal Jordan (that's cool, they brought back pink kryptonite and Kara Zor-El, why not...), but did they do a redemption story? Was there some deep internal struggle? Any character development for Hal at all?

Yup,

None. Every single event was created to bring back the "good old days," with no innovation except MAYBE a new love interest. Guy Gardener. Hal Jordan. Weak Kyle Rayner. "The Devil Made Me Do It." No issues where addressed, they were simply retconned. The only thing Hal is bringing is Fanboyism.

I didn't see Kyle as weak, but whatever. Ollie actually acknowledged his strength for once.

As for the explanation, Geoff Johns was given the task of undoing something totally ridiculous and undoable in the first place.

I saw plenty of internal struggle on the part of Hal and his inner demons and the vengeful spirit of the Spectre conflicting with Hal's benevolent nature.

Now if you're a fan, then that's the GREATEST THING IN THE WORLD, but honestly, guys, if you're not a Hal fan, at least to me, it's a big turn off. And certainly, if you're a Rayner, Stewart or Batman fan, or any of the other people Hal walks on to look cool, then it's downright disgusting.

Considering that he didn't walk on Hal or Rayner at all...I don't see your point of view.

I was slightly dissatisfied with the explanation, but ultimately, Hal Jordan is back and that's the important thing.

I could care less whether Kyle or Hal gets made into a movie.
If i had to choose, I'd say Kyle because I grew up with his line of comics and he was the coolest GL and my favorite, followed by John Stewart.

I really don't like Hal Jordon.

:cool:

lars573 said:
Because DC needs the sales, and they are spineless.

Agreed.
Not that i read comics, but Hal didnt need to be brought back.
Pretty dumb if you ask me. Too many Earth Lanterns.

Warhammer said:
Agreed.
Not that i read comics, but Hal didnt need to be brought back.
Pretty dumb if you ask me. Too many Earth Lanterns.

Its so DUMB, so ridiculously pretty dumb as you say, that you want them to do it in a movie.

I guess that means you think your own arguments are dumb.

Also, Kyle is no longer Green Lantern. He's Ion now. Guy Gardener does not work on Earth.

Wow, Man.
He's only a comic book character, not your friend.
I didnt mean to offend you in some strange way.
You are getting all worked up over a comic book character.

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"