Sequels Will Darkseid work in Superman Movies?

ervann

Super Deformin'
Reaction score
I personally feel Darkseid will offer an amazing story and crazy action, blending Earth-based conflicts with sci-fi style battles. Superman literally has to save the world from annihilation. The ultimate defender.

But is it realistic to have this onscreen? Can movie-Superman become a sci-fi piece that deals with anti-life equations, omega effects and dimensional travels? It'll be a universe away from the Superman films we've come to know, including SR.

Brainiac and Metallo are probably villians in the movies. But Darkseid?

Darkseid should stay the hell away from any Superman sequel. Not because 'Seid is a bad character. Quite the opposite, actually. It's because Darkseid and the whole Fourth World crew deserve their own movie(s). It's the only way to really capture the sheer scope to their universe. Cramming them into a Superman sequel where Superman would likely get 75% of the screen time would not do Kirby's characters any amount of justice at all. Darkseid and his cast would assuredly be limited to a mere shell of the character that he should be on screen, stripped to the bare basics.

With Gods and monsters fighting their war, Apokolips and New Genesis, the Anti-Life Equation, the Source Wall, fantastic technology, boom tubes, the Omega Effect, etc, a Fourth World movie would be like Star Wars on steroids.

I really don't see why Darkseid is needed in a Superman movie. I'd prefer to see Orion and Darkseid having a huge climactic battle in the movie's final act rather than Superman vs. Darkseid.

Spike_x1 said:
Darkseid should stay the hell away from any Superman sequel. Not because 'Seid is a bad character. Quite the opposite, actually. It's because Darkseid and the whole Fourth World crew deserve their own movie(s). It's the only way to really capture the sheer scope to their universe. Cramming them into a Superman sequel where Superman would likely get 75% of the screen time would not do Kirby's characters any amount of justice at all. Darkseid and his cast would assuredly be limited to a mere shell of the character that he should be on screen, stripped to the bare basics.

With Gods and monsters fighting their war, Apokolips and New Genesis, the Anti-Life Equation, the Source Wall, fantastic technology, boom tubes, the Omega Effect, etc, a Fourth World movie would be like Star Wars on steroids.

I really don't see why Darkseid is needed in a Superman movie. I'd prefer to see Orion and Darkseid having a huge climactic battle in the movie's final act rather than Superman vs. Darkseid.

You make a fair argument. Personally however, I'd love to see Darkseid in a Superman film. One could always do a New Gods spin off of a Superman film as well by introducing Darkseid into Superman.

Here's one...Singerman could have Darkseid come to earth because he wants to kidnap Jason and raise him as his son, lol.

Seriously though, Darkseid could work if it were done in an Apokolips Now! or Legacy vein. However, you'll never see Singer put Darkseid in a Superman film. Most likely we'll see more Kryptonians. I wouldn't have a problem with introducing Kara, but more than likely we'll get a rehash of Superman II and they'll bring back Zod or a new Kryptonian family who wants to settle on Earth.

I want Darkseid, you never know he could be popular like darth vader is, he has the same interesting thing about him.

dpm07 said:
...Most likely we'll see more Kryptonians. I wouldn't have a problem with introducing Kara, but more than likely we'll get a rehash of Superman II and they'll bring back Zod or a new Kryptonian family who wants to settle on Earth.

Lord, no......say it ain't true.

:(

ervann said:
Lord, no......say it ain't true.

:(

Yeah, talk about dysfunctional families. A new Kryptonian family coming to the suberbs, and of course Superdad and Superson along with Mom Lois and her live-in lover Jason.

That's one to take back to the farm. I can just see everyone on Springer courtesy of Singerman. They can all share their feelings. :down

[You make a fair argument. Personally however, I'd love to see Darkseid in a Superman film. One could always do a New Gods spin off of a Superman film as well by introducing Darkseid into Superman.

Here's one...Singerman could have Darkseid come to earth because he wants to kidnap Jason and raise him as his son, lol.

Seriously though, Darkseid could work if it were done in an Apokolips Now! or Legacy vein. However, you'll never see Singer put Darkseid in a Superman film. Most likely we'll see more Kryptonians. I wouldn't have a problem with introducing Kara, but more than likely we'll get a rehash of Superman II and they'll bring back Zod or a new Kryptonian family who wants to settle on Earth. ]

I'd love to see Darkseid in a Supes' film too! But I don't think that would happen with Singer at the helm. Singer is not that familiar with the Supes' comics like Raimi is to Spiderman. If there's gonna be a sequel, judging by SR, I think he's following the pattern with the Donner movies 'coz he love those movies like i do but Zod again?!

How about the other baddies? How about Metallo or Braniac? If Singer's really gonna bring back Zod, there should be another baddie at least joining forces with him, Luthor can make an appearance again, but another one or 2. Someone like mentioned above who's gonna give Supes a whoopin - a fight, physical confrontaion, hand to hand combat, aerial duel, what have you. Not the usual 'save the world from natural or mand-made disasters' like in SR. Supes can do more than that! :wolverine

Another question is how would they make Darkseid look like on the big screen? same way in the comics?

Darkseid would have trouble working... mostly because, as a poster mentioned, his science is huge. Source Walls. Anti-Life Equations and the like. You can't wrap that around a personal narrative about fathers and sons and romance and personal struggle.

Also, while Darkseid is a very very cool character... his minions are wack (outside of their proper setting)... they need some hefty updating... perhaps if Darkseid had a hand in destroying Krypton Darkseid could carry some weight...

All in all, doesn't look good for Darkseid to make an entry, although I honestly think it'd be the most badass superhero flick ever.

Here's a guy who's hell bent on conquering Earth (for a very cool reason - anti-life equation) and humanity needs its greatest protector - an alien - to defend it.

But it'll definitely become an all-out sci-fi epic. Not exactly to the taste of Mr Singer's...(although isn't he a star trek fan?)

ervann said:
All in all, doesn't look good for Darkseid to make an entry, although I honestly think it'd be the most badass superhero flick ever.

Here's a guy who's hell bent on conquering Earth (for a very cool reason - anti-life equation) and humanity needs its greatest protector - an alien - to defend it.

But it'll definitely become an all-out sci-fi epic. Not exactly to the taste of Mr Singer's...(although isn't he a star trek fan?)

Yes he is a huge Star Trek fan, he even made a appearence in Nemesis.

ervann said:

Darkseid would work and be awesome. The thing with Darkseid is he is not in any way intimidated by Superman's power.

Furthermore, in the STAS Boxed set, on the commentary, Bruce Timm commented that Darkseid is the one guy who can get to Superman and push his buttons. Superman truly hates Darkseid. With Luthor, Superman is always trying to redeem him, but with Darkseid, there is no redemption. Darkseid truly represents everything Superman hates, and is one of the few people that can go head to head with Superman and not be intimidated.

I think Darkseid would work, but Singer's not the man to do that story. He just doesn't have the ability to do it. That would have to be better than anything he's done so far, and he really dropped the ball this time, and this was supposed to be his crown jewel.

A great trilogy would be:

1st Film: Luthor w/Metallo as his henchman and Mercy Greaves as his chauffeur and a mystery man calling the shots or creating a simultaneous natural disaster issue. Superman thinks its Luthor and it's not.
2nd Film: Brainiac comes to earth. Superman thinks he's the one behind the chaos. Luthor has a smaller role.
3rd Film: Darkseid plays his hand. Luthor sees that the fate of the world hangs in the balance, and helps Superman stop him in return for a pardon.

Just a rough. I have more, but it's not fleshed out. One thing's for sure, my Superman story or film idea would never have Superson in it.

Yeah, I'd love to see Darkseid.

However, knowing Singerman, he'll probably create a new villain that's Kryptonian, and give him a Zod theme. :down

dpm07 said:
Darkseid would work and be awesome. The thing with Darkseid is he is not in any way intimidated by Superman's power.

Furthermore, in the STAS Boxed set, on the commentary, Bruce Timm commented that Darkseid is the one guy who can get to Superman and push his buttons. Superman truly hates Darkseid. With Luthor, Superman is always trying to redeem him, but with Darkseid, there is no redemption. Darkseid truly represents everything Superman hates, and is one of the few people that can go head to head with Superman and not be intimidated.

I think Darkseid would work, but Singer's not the man to do that story. He just doesn't have the ability to do it. That would have to be better than anything he's done so far, and he really dropped the ball this time, and this was supposed to be his crown jewel.

A great trilogy would be:

1st Film: Luthor w/Metallo as his henchman and Mercy Greaves as his chauffeur and a mystery man calling the shots or creating a simultaneous natural disaster issue. Superman thinks its Luthor and it's not.
2nd Film: Brainiac comes to earth. Superman thinks he's the one behind the chaos. Luthor has a smaller role.
3rd Film: Darkseid plays his hand. Luthor sees that the fate of the world hangs in the balance, and helps Superman stop him in return for a pardon.

Just a rough. I have more, but it's not fleshed out. One thing's for sure, my Superman story or film idea would never have Superson in it.

Yeah, I'd love to see Darkseid.

However, knowing Singerman, he'll probably create a new villain that's Kryptonian, and give him a Zod theme. :down

You totally read my mind, man. I think we can be hopeful for Brainiac in the sequel, and I really want the ending to lead into Darkseid's introduction for the third film. It is truly a long shot and at this time I can't think of anyone who can pull it off. Sure, the comics writers can pen a great story with a strong screenwriter, but no director comes to mind.

And I want Superman beaten to the brink of death - physically. Perhaps he truly finds his place in humanity through the ordeal. Perhaps he will give up his life to prevent Earth from suffering Krypton's fate. One man against the might and legions of Darkseid, defending his adopted home. Humanity is finally inspired and Kal-El's calling heard. I dream of a Superman movie like that, and I continue to dream...

untitled6yu.jpg

I'd sure love to see this!

Darkseid is just to big a bad ass to be in a Bryan Singer movie, although Id love to see an Apocalypse Now or Legacy style movie.

A good Superman/Darkseid movie would go a long way in making up for Superman Returns.

venom420 said:
Darkseid is just to big a bad ass to be in a Bryan Singer movie, although Id love to see an Apocalypse Now or Legacy style movie.

A good Superman/Darkseid movie would go a long way in making up for Superman Returns.

Definitely!

Then a trilogy with Superman could actually lead into a spinoff of The New Gods for those that want it.

Unfortunately, knowing Singerman, he just won't do it, because his ego won't allow it, and also it doesn't fit into the Donner style, nor does it make use of Superson.

I keep thinking this was all a bad dream and that Superson will just go away. Kind of like Chuck from Happy Days, lol. Ahh....wishful thinking that's highly unlikely with Singerman.

I was watching Apocalypse Now part 2 last night, and the scene after Dan Turbin was killed by Darkseid with Superman basically flipping out in anguish, and the following funeral scene with Superman standing over Turbin's grave were more emotional than anything Superman Returns had to offer....

It's a shame Singer can't see past Donner!!!

Well I'd kill to see Darkseid on film. However, isn't it a bit presumptuous to say that Singer will never put Darkseid on film. Is there anything that indicates that he won't??

venom420 said:
I was watching Apocalypse Now part 2 last night, and the scene after Dan Turbin was killed by Darkseid with Superman basically flipping out in anguish, and the following funeral scene with Superman standing over Turbin's grave were more emotional than anything Superman Returns had to offer....

It's a shame Singer can't see past Donner!!!

Yeah, that was off the cuff sweet! :up:

Timm/Dini would rule with a live action Superman. I keep thinking what a trilogy of Superman would be like if they had done it. They do the best arcs and really make characters you can empathize with, and stories you want to see over and over. Just look at what they did with Apokolips Now! Legacy, A Better World, and Twilight of The Gods. If they wrote a story and had someone like the Wachowski's or M. Knight Shamalananawhatever direct it, it would be better than anything Singerman did with SR.

They would definitely blow Harris/Daugherty out of the water with their writing style. Of course, Singer's ego probably wouldn't allow them to be a part of things. I can't help but notice how he glosses over STAS and JL/JLU when talking about Superman. Those stories are amazing and timeless. They aren't as dated or wooden as what Singer did, and they make the material complement each other. The fact that he downplays Superman in STAS is sad. Those are really epic stories that had reverberations throughout the DCAU and were adult-themed to the point to really hook you, grab you, and leave you wanting more.

It was a sad day when SR was made because some of us saw the things we never wanted to see in a Superman film.

It was a sad day when the DCAU ended, because some of us saw things we would sadly never see again.

I do want to thank Singer for at least making me appreciate the work of the DCAU and Timm/Dini that much more.

dpm07 said:
Yeah, that was off the cuff sweet! :up:

Timm/Dini would rule with a live action Superman. I keep thinking what a trilogy of Superman would be like if they had done it. They do the best arcs and really make characters you can empathize with, and stories you want to see over and over. Just look at what they did with Apokolips Now! Legacy, A Better World, and Twilight of The Gods. If they wrote a story and had someone like the Wachowski's or M. Knight Shamalananawhatever direct it, it would be better than anything Singerman did with SR.

They would definitely blow Harris/Daugherty out of the water with their writing style. Of course, Singer's ego probably wouldn't allow them to be a part of things. I can't help but notice how he glosses over STAS and JL/JLU when talking about Superman. Those stories are amazing and timeless. They aren't as dated or wooden as what Singer did, and they make the material complement each other. The fact that he downplays Superman in STAS is sad. Those are really epic stories that had reverberations throughout the DCAU and were adult-themed to the point to really hook you, grab you, and leave you wanting more.

It was a sad day when SR was made because some of us saw the things we never wanted to see in a Superman film.

It was a sad day when the DCAU ended, because some of us saw things we would sadly never see again.

I do want to thank Singer for at least making me appreciate the work of the DCAU and Timm/Dini that much more.

Anything done by Timm/Dini blows away Dougherty/Harris. My dream Superman crew would be a script written by Paul Dini/Bruce Timm and directed by Peter Jackson. I would have at the very least liked to have Last Son Of Krypton adapted into a live action film, atleast.

Im disgusted that Singer breezes over anything post Donner, the stuff that actually gave Superman/Clark Kent a personality.

Singer made me realize as well how Ive taken people like Timm/Dini for granted, I never thought the days of wooden Superman would return, but thanks to Singer it is happening.

I just hope the comics are left out of this mess...

spideymusprime said:
untitled6yu.jpg

I'd sure love to see this!

That pic of Superman looks like Superman. I think I might be the only one but to me Routh in that Suite just did not look or feel like Superman, well thats just me.

venom420 said:
Anything done by Timm/Dini blows away Dougherty/Harris. My dream Superman crew would be a script written by Paul Dini/Bruce Timm and directed by Peter Jackson. I would have at the very least liked to have Last Son Of Krypton adapted into a live action film, atleast.

Im disgusted that Singer breezes over anything post Donner, the stuff that actually gave Superman/Clark Kent a personality.

Singer made me realize as well how Ive taken people like Timm/Dini for granted, I never thought the days of wooden Superman would return, but thanks to Singer it is happening.

I just hope the comics are left out of this mess...

Personally, I'd love to see Peter Jackson do Thor, but now that you mention it, he'd rock with Superman as well. Good call there! :up:

Yeah, the fact that Singer breezes over the other stuff that's post Donner is sad. You're right. The Post-Crisis Superman/Clark Kent was given a real personality with the stuff on L&C, as well as the DCAU by Timm/Dini.

Darkseid could work, and it could work well. Someone like Jackson could do it. He knows how to do great characterizations, great action, and a film with spectacular visuals and real epics. The cool thing about Jackson is you know you'd get a great film, and it wouldn't be short, lol. A long Superman film by Jackson would definitely be worth it. Throw in Darkseid and a writing treatment by Timm/Dini, and I'm there! :up:

Let's face it; They wouldn't do a worse job than Singer, and if they brought in Kara, I'd take her in the film to help out Superman more than I would want Superson Jason in the film. At least she's his cousin and has her own identity and can come and go. I'd also do a relaunch and bring back BOTH parents; Ma and Pa Kent.

dpm07 said:
Personally, I'd love to see Peter Jackson do Thor, but now that you mention it, he'd rock with Superman as well. Good call there! :up:

Yeah, the fact that Singer breezes over the other stuff that's post Donner is sad. You're right. The Post-Crisis Superman/Clark Kent was given a real personality with the stuff on L&C, as well as the DCAU by Timm/Dini.

Darkseid could work, and it could work well. Someone like Jackson could do it. He knows how to do great characterizations, great action, and a film with spectacular visuals and real epics. The cool thing about Jackson is you know you'd get a great film, and it wouldn't be short, lol. A long Superman film by Jackson would definitely be worth it. Throw in Darkseid and a writing treatment by Timm/Dini, and I'm there! :up:

Let's face it; They wouldn't do a worse job than Singer, and if they brought in Kara, I'd take her in the film to help out Superman more than I would want Superson Jason in the film. At least she's his cousin and has her own identity and can come and go. I'd also do a relaunch and bring back BOTH parents; Ma and Pa Kent.

Peter Jackson would do awesome with Thor. I never thought of that. Good idea:up:

Post crisis Clark Kent is the best. Dean Cain is still my favorite Clark Kent, people don't see to understand the show was ABOUT Lois and Clark, not Superman. Superman was kinda the character in the backdrop of the whole series.

Either a restart film with Peter Jackson directing and a script by Timm/Dini or a Superman/Darkseid film, in the vein of Apocalypse Now, are right up Jackson's alley. Nobody has captured human emotions and feelings in a fantasy world the way Jackson has. When I watched the first LOTR, I said to myself, that guy needs to do Superman. It would be a long film, but unlike Returns, it would have substance. Like we agreed on, the Returns story could have been huge, but Singer blew it by digging up Donner. Now they pretty much have to relaunch the franchise or deal with the reprecussions of the kid and Lois having a fiance.

You would basically have to kill the kid off do to natural causes and have Richard leave Lois and Metropolis in between films, and then have Darkseid show up with a grieving Superman being the only one who could stop him, while have Superman and Lois rekindle there love in the backdrop of the story, all the while giving Clark Kent a real personality and recasting the Daily Planet crew, seeing that this was the worst take on the Daily Planet ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"