Will people get over the super hate?

Well, I'm at work and I've been reading all MoS threads since 2010 to fight my boredom. I am currently reading the Amy Adams part 4 thread and I previously finished the Michael Shannon one(s). I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the MoS threads are heaven.

Shannon got minimum reaction (Zod got considerable amounts, but nothing that went too sour) compared to Tom Hardy (fat midget) and while there were certain posters (3 in particular and 2 of them are now banned) that raised some hell for Amy's hair and age, it still wasn't as bad as the heat Anne got (though it did come close, the Disney princess comments apply to both actresses).

I hope that things will be better in future and good to see you here. :up:

Thank you, good to be here! Most people seem nice.:yay:

Well, I'm at work and I've been reading all MoS threads since 2010 to fight my boredom. I am currently reading the Amy Adams part 4 thread and I previously finished the Michael Shannon one(s). I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the MoS threads are heaven.

Shannon got minimum reaction (Zod got considerable amounts, but nothing that went too sour) compared to Tom Hardy (fat midget) and while there were certain posters (3 in particular and 2 of them are now banned) that raised some hell for Amy's hair and age, it still wasn't as bad as the heat Anne got (though it did come close, the Disney princess comments apply to both actresses).

Yeah, Batman fans take everything so seriously :oldrazz:

Nah, it's just that we were the most spoiled ones. It happens when your franchise peaks. The Spidey boards pre-SM3 were almost just as obnoxious. The more successful the franchise, the higher one gets on a horse.:woot:

If MoS gets 2 sequels and is as successful as the Raimi or the Nolan trilogies, we'll talk about this again in 2019-20.

Nah, it's just that we were the most spoiled ones. It happens when your franchise peaks. The Spidey boards pre-SM3 were almost just as obnoxious. The more successful the franchise, the higher one gets on a horse.:woot:

If MoS gets 2 sequels and is as successful as the Raimi or the Nolan trilogies, we'll talk about this again in 2019-20.

You have me there :argh:

I really do believe that the problem with audiences perception of Superman is that they've been bombarded with this image of him as a Jesus allegory rather than straight superhero. Speaking for myself, I much prefer the idea that Jor-El randomly picked a planet that he knew his son could survive on and hoped for the best. Clark gets some great upbringing during his childhood and, after a little bit of soul searching, decides to help the world using his extraordinary powers.

Unfortunately, to me, DC/WB keeps making Jor-El a near omnipresent force in Clark's life and over emphasizes the idea that he was "destined" to do great things rather than deciding to be a superhero because he's just a genuinely good person.

Just my take.

This.

I think that in MOS, there will be some influence of Jor El, maybe limited but they are not removing it.

If they are including elements of the origin then Jor-El has to be there, but I hope they stay away from the over the top christ like imagery. It's already inherent in the story. No need to beat this point to death by reinforcing it over and over again.

Here's a question, will Jor-El get all the dialogue leaving Lara with nothing?

Funny you should say that. I'm re-reading Birthright now and I love how they flip the script a bit in Jor-El and Lara's dynamic.

I wonder if they'll take a page from that, though I would say unlikely based on the VO of the trailer.

I really do believe that the problem with audiences perception of Superman is that they've been bombarded with this image of him as a Jesus allegory rather than straight superhero.
I think knowledgeable fans (or critics) might make this observation. But for the average Joe, it’s more about Supes’ “boy scout-y” persona.

I HOPE NOT!!! Lara has been shafted in most incarnations. Her dialogue needs to be included. She is the mother of Superman, but her desires are often shafted for Jor-El's. This is another reason why I don't want them to beat the dead horse of Superman = Jesus. There is more to Superman than just him being the "last son of Krypton". I hope they show some of Kryptonian culture and their thoughts. This includes Lara.

Last edited:
I HOPE NOT!!! Lara has been shafted in most incarnations.
It would be interesting to shake up the mythos in this respect: make Lara the scientist who plans the escape for her son, etc. - and give a different/somewhat lesser role to Jor-El.

But given the comparative fame of Russell Crowe over Ayelet Zurer, I doubt that MOS plans significant changes to Krypton’s traditional patriarchy.

It would be interesting to shake up the mythos in this respect: make Lara the scientist who plans the escape for her son, etc. - and give a different/somewhat lesser role to Jor-El.

But given the comparative fame of Russell Crowe over Ayelet Zurer, I doubt that MOS plans significant changes to Krypton’s traditional patriarchy.

Have you read Birthright? They lean towards this angle where the idea to send him off his Lara's and Jor-El is hesitant.

I HOPE NOT!!! Lara has been shafted in most incarnations. Her dialogue needs to be included. She is the mother of Superman, but her desires are often shafted for Jor-El's. This is another reason why I don't want them to beat the dead horse of Superman = Jesus. There is more to Superman than just him being the "last son of Krypton". I hope they show some of Kryptonian culture and their thoughts. This includes Lara.

I hope they could expand on Kryptonian culture, make it seem as if it was an actual civilization that ended because of Pride (like all past Empires: Persian, Greek, Roman, Spanish, British, etc).

Birthright keeps showing up in these threads so I guess I should read it one day. I kinda don't want to since Superman's original origin is so deliciously simple. He didn't need special blue eyes, the ability to see the auras of living creatures or whatever other miscellaneous quirk that further emphasized that he was/is an alien.

I hope that MOS has a lengthy run-time so that Krypton can get its proper introduction and sendoff in the first part of the movie and the rest of the film/franchise won't feel the need to keep mentioning it.

Birthright keeps showing up in these threads so I guess I should read it one day. I kinda don't want to since Superman's original origin is so deliciously simple. He didn't need special blue eyes, the ability to see the auras of living creatures or whatever other miscellaneous quirk that further emphasized that he was/is an alien.

I hope that MOS has a lengthy run-time so that Krypton can get its proper introduction and sendoff in the first part of the movie and the rest of the film/franchise won't feel the need to keep mentioning it.

Those are just details in a larger story. Give it a try -- what's the worst that can happen?

Those are just details in a larger story. Give it a try -- what's the worst that can happen?

I'm sure I will eventually read it. It's just not on the top of my list.

Far from perfect but still a good read. It did have some great moments.

I don't mind the super hate,

I,m more concern that the people don't care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"