All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If one wants to play that game, then it's staring directly in your face. A city falling apart and its salvation comes in the form of Batman. There. And I don't think even that was the intention of the poster.

People are reading way too much into it. Good poster, yes. But nothing to lose your mind over.

It's really weird how you can make out the exactly shape of the emblem and the blurry "S" in the middle! I mean, sure it's a Nolan film, but he is producing Superman as well, I think it's a maybe.

That honestly looks like the shield, probably just the artist of that poster having some fun because Nolan is involved with MOS. Most likely doesn't mean anything.

After all the hubbub over the handling of "Truth, Justice, and the American Way" in Superman Returns, how do people feel about the uses of iconic Superman catch phrases in Man of Steel? I'm not sure how a "Up, up, and away!" or a "This looks like a job for Superman!" would go over with today's audiences, but I do want Perry White to mutter "Great Caesar's Ghost!" at least once.

That looks nothing like the shield, imo. Its just a rock. However, Jamie's explanation most certainly makes sense.

I have no problem with them using classic lines from the comics, but would rather they avoided classic lines from the old movies.

I just think if delivered incorrectly, or if it doesn't feel natural they shouldn't be used...It just took me out of the movie when Frank Langella said it in SR. When Perry was saved from the falling globe, the natural reaction would be saying something like, "Oh my god.." or "Holy Sh..." not "Great Caesar's Ghost". That felt forced and like lipservice for the sake of showing loyalty to the comic.

I agree, nothing if it is going to make it seem silly. No one will remember if they say "great Caesar's ghost!" or "up, up, and away" or notice, but if they do say it and it comes out wrong, boy will that be noticed right away. And would probably be greeted by a chuckle. I think that would be one of those lines that when you see a movie for the first time seem cool and then when you watch it later on it makes you cringe. Like "Con-Air" had a lot of those that the first time make you think "wow, that was cool" and then make you think ".... oh boy.... that was stupid/cheesy/campy/corny/etc"

And that video above makes me think that the only person I would like as Perry White would be Bruce McGill. I don't care if they cast Harvey Keitel, or Robert DeNiro or Al Pacino. No matter who they cast, if it isn't Bruce McGill I would be disappointed.

Perry White to me is the guy in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFqYn3i_UQ0

Last edited:
I dont care about it being classic. I dont want any silly lines like "up, up, and away" and "This looks like a job for Superman!" unless it's ironic.

"Truth, Justice, and the American Way" wont sit well with anybody I think, especially non-americans. It's just too old-fashioned sounding and too patriotic for a contemporary story.

"Great Caesar's ghost!" I'd be fine with.

I dont care about it being classic. I dont want any silly lines like "up, up, and away" and "This looks like a job for Superman!" unless it's ironic.

:up:

Most of those "classic" phrases originated on radio – where, of course, verbal description was everything. The movie adage that you “show, don’t tell” would be exactly reversed for radio. I guess the phrases did make their way to the serials and TV. But a lot of the time, they were used to sell an absent or hokey special effect.

They’d be conspicuously awkward "narration" in a modern movie.

I didn't notice a thread about the emblem itself, but after seeing the TDKR poster, I decided to make the thread, because i noticed this!!!

superman_batman.jpg

Could it be??

So, does this mean Nolan's Batman is in universe with Smallville? :wow:

:woot:

no, thats the first i've saw of it.

I haven't heard anything about Metropolis. Is this Smallville the movie lol?

It's sure looking like we're gonna be seeing alot of smallville doesn't it. Not that I mind or anything.

I haven't heard anything about Metropolis. Is this Smallville the movie lol?

When we start hearing about Romantic Triangles and how Clark is forced to become the hero that he’s destined to be, then it will be.haha

ya, what is the synopsis of MOS?

out yet?

It's sure looking like we're gonna be seeing alot of smallville doesn't it. Not that I mind or anything.

I don't think it'll dominate the film though.

It's just the first stop in filming. It's only really early in the day yet.

A couple more pictures have surfaced and man, I'm REALLY liking the looks of the second picture. :woot:

mos-smashedcar.jpg

mos-smashedtruck.jpg

Last edited:
A couple more pictures have surfaced and man, I'm REALLY liking the looks of the second picture. :woot:

mos-smashedcar.jpg

mos-smashedtruck.jpg

Yeah baby!! The car looks kinda old, but then i guess you would wanna beat up older cheaper cars... the dump truck looks like something went into it, then burst out the top.. already i feel like i have seen more action from these photo's that i did in the previous superman film!! ;)

Yeah baby!! The car looks kinda old, but then i guess you would wanna beat up older cheaper cars... the dump truck looks like something went into it, then burst out the top.. already i feel like i have seen more action from these photo's that i did in the previous superman film!! ;)

I know, right?!

Hmmm, yeah, that phrase is really dead, isn't it?

But I'm just so excited.

So we've got a request for road closures, and two smashed up vehicles... We definitely have some kind of car crash rescue/fight scene in the middle of a road... And in Smallville?! **** yeah!

mos-smashedcar.jpg

mos-smashedtruck.jpg

As am I, It looks like Supes is going to fly or get thrown through it .

As am I, It looks like Supes is going to fly or get thrown through it .
It could also be Zod or Faora as well. Although we don't know for sure if they will be on Earth or just in flashbacks on Krypton. I doubt that it will be flashbacks though.

It's probably about time that someone open up an "OFFICIAL Set Pics" Thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"