Will "SPIDER-MAN 3" be an epic?

The reason that the SPIDER-MAN films will never be epic is not a bad thing, and it is not an insult to Spider-man as a character. The reason that they are not epic is the fact that the scope of the films is small. They are based entirely in Manhattan, New York. Yeah, it's a big city, but it is not exactly epic. BATMAN BEGINS took the audience all over the world. From Gotham City to the Himalayas to India, to Africa, back to Gotham. SUPERMAN RETURNS, and SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE take us from space, to Krypton, to Earth to Smallville, to Metropolis and so on and so forth. The scope of these movies is huge, Spider-man lends himself to a more compact story involving just Peter, MJ, Harry, and the villain in New York.

-R

Robin91939 said:
The reason that the SPIDER-MAN films will never be epic is not a bad thing, and it is not an insult to Spider-man as a character. The reason that they are not epic is the fact that the scope of the films is small. They are based entirely in Manhattan, New York. Yeah, it's a big city, but it is not exactly epic. BATMAN BEGINS took the audience all over the world. From Gotham City to the Himalayas to India, to Africa, back to Gotham. SUPERMAN RETURNS, and SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE take us from space, to Krypton, to Earth to Smallville, to Metropolis and so on and so forth. The scope of these movies is huge, Spider-man lends himself to a more compact story involving just Peter, MJ, Harry, and the villain in New York.

-R
Very well said!;)

Robin91939 said:

-R

B0002S64T6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

So, by your logic this movie must be pretty epic to you. In fact, it's probably the most epic movie ever.

Naite22 said:
I ALWAYS say, -every one has a right to their own opinion- and that's true, even in this case.... But it's a sad world when people begin to say that the pirates-movies are epic... in ANY way.:(

Most associate the word Epic with a large scale battle with a lot at stake, with a large scope. An Epic movie is a movie like LOTR. Pirates is not an epic movie but the scenes where the kraken sinks the black pearl are pretty much a well directed large scale massacre and it provided an epic feel, at least to me, but dont get me wrong besides that scene the pirate movies are not epic at all.

Spider-man 3 will not be epic either. It will have the same feel as the past movies (as the trailers have shown). There might be a bit more darkness but in Spider-man 2 Doc Ock had a dark story line, this time around the darkness just surrounds Peter. There will be more action but it won't be large scale enough to be epic.

Epic is a feeling in movies that, although has a definitive meaning, is a very personal feeling that is open to interpretation. Not everyone will find the same movie epic, Lord of the rings is epic to those who care about the characters, but for someone who doesnt have a connection to Aragorn and co., its just boring. Likewise someone who loves Superman will have found his return to be very epic, where as general movie goers dont have that emotional connection with the film and therefore will not generate the epic feeling because of a lack of caring in Superman himself. The same goes for Spider-man and Batman begins and Pirates and any movie in the action genre. I love pirates of the caribbean, and i found the kraken scenes to be climatic and epic. Only fans will get this feeling though and thats why it is laughable to you.

In conclusion, Spider-man 3 will not be epic if one observes the word's definition. However the movie could have an epic feel for those with a strong connection to the characters.

I hope i dont offend anyone with this post as it was not my intent, i just was giving my 2 cents.

Robin91939 said:

-R

Good Point Duuuude

Generally speaking, the term "epic" refers to movies that have a large scope, often set during a time of war or other conflict, and sometimes taking place over a considerable period of time. A historical setting is commonplace, although fantasy or science fiction settings are also common. Sometimes the story is based around a quest that the characters are embarked on over the course of the film. A large cast of characters - although not always an ensemble cast - is also common. By this definition, some animated films such as The Lion King, would also fall into this category.

-Wikipedia

i am not going to say that these movies are not epic but a movie does not have to be epic to be amazing but the spider-man movies are both amazing and epic, especially amazing. i think spidey3 will be epic and will make history. these movies are about a guy who was just an average guy who gets bitten by a radioactive spider and gets these powers and uses them to help people and save them.

spider-man2 was more epic than spidey1 not just because of the train scene which was most of it and gave me an epic feel but the web-swinging also. you can see all of new york city when spidey was swinging in spidey1 and spidey2 but mostly spidey2. spider-man1 was epic to though. my point is that the spider-man movies have an epic feel to them in a few ways. even if it is either web-swinging or big huge action fighting sequences.

the final battle in spidey3 i gaurantee will be epic. you can make a movie with alot of story and action and still make it epic. it is a gauranteed possibility.

Doc Ock said:

So, by your logic this movie must be pretty epic to you. In fact, it's probably the most epic movie ever.
LMFAO, hilarious, that's what I'm talking about. You have to call this crap film epic too if you think Batman Begins is epic. :woot:

Secret_Riddle said:
How is it not true? The trailer for spider-man 3 makes it clear that it will be in the same style and tone of the other movies, except with a lil bit more action and a little bit more of a dark feel.

Doc Ock had a very dark story in Spidey 2...this time around the darkness is focused more on Peter.

The only thing that will be epic about Spider-man 3...and this is a big maybe, is the battle royale at the end, depending on how Raimi does it.

Its not true because anybody with half brain can see that sm3 is a much bigger movie than sm1 and 2 combined. Not only do we have 3 vilains to deal with, we have spider-man battling himself, a much better storyline that emphasises intriguing drama i.e. peter's relationship with MJ and Gwen. SM3 is clearly a much grander film in scope, drama and action and its the drama I'm looking foward to the most because it appears to actually be compelling for the 1st time imo.

Doc Ock said:
Thank god for that! And Spidey also has a cool mask, you know, something that genuinely hides a secret identity. Not a pair of freakin' glasses LOL!

Anything outside a contrast to superman makes it almost meaningless, seeing as Raimi wants spidey to have his mask off at every given oppotunity. Even now in sm3, we know that 2 of the 3 villains know who spidey is and I wouldn't be surprised if sandman clocks his ID either.

Whether or not a movie is epic or not depends on the scope of the vision of the movie, not the scope of where it is physically located. As such, the Spider-Man movies are (and should be) non-epics, concentrating on Peter and his personal problems, and not on saving the world or grand enormous themes, but themes that touch upon emotions and personal aspects of man.

well given the story of sm3 and how its supposed to wrap up certain events that took place in the last 2 movies, sm3 could easily be made as an epic film and I actually believe it will. In termsof scope, this movie is bigger than both sm1 and 2 combined. SM3 will be an epic struggle of a man who battles himself, confronts his enemy in the guise of his best friend not to mention 2 other major villains and of course the relationships and consequences of his actions regarding the people around him. Sounds like sm3 will be epic to me. Think about it, this is supposed to wrap everything up.

I don´t think the term quite applies here. The Spider-Man movies, even though they have some huge action scenes and stuff, have a more grounded feel that comes from the character himself, Peter´s not the kinda guy who saves the world, the term fits more Superman, for instance.

pointman said:
Its not true because anybody with half brain can see that sm3 is a much bigger movie than sm1 and 2 combined. Not only do we have 3 vilains to deal with, we have spider-man battling himself, a much better storyline that emphasises intriguing drama i.e. peter's relationship with MJ and Gwen. SM3 is clearly a much grander film in scope, drama and action and its the drama I'm looking foward to the most because it appears to actually be compelling for the 1st time imo.

It does not have a bigger scope. There are 3 villians 1 of which is only at the beginning and end,1 of which is throughout the middle and 1 of which is at the end. So besides the battle royale at the end of the movie, the movie only focuses on 1 villian at a time. If a mafia movie focuses on a hitman who has problems with himself and has to make 3 hits on 3 guys from an opposing mafia in manhatten is the movie automatically epic?

Your point on relationship drama is also false because spider-man 1 and 2 focused on relationship drama as well, the triangle between John Jameson, Peter and M.J in spider-man 2, and Harry, Peter, and M.J in Spider-man. This time the triangle is with Gwen, Peter and M.J.

I'm glad your looking forward to the movie because you find it compelling, but compelling does not mean epic which is what you were arguing in my post.

You also shouldnt start off a post with "anyone who has half a brain".

there are epic scenes in the spider-man movies along with fantastic storyline. you can have both in a movie. spider-man3 looks to be epic because of most of the battles. the battle between peter and harry in mid air will be epic and so will the final battle.

not only when spider-man web-swings it feels epic but it also looks graceful. the spider-man movies are not hugley epic because the story is about a guy who has to deal with his own problems which is fine with me because no matter what these movies are still great. most of the battles in the spider-man movies are epic.

haha wow...lol...sm 3 mite be an epic...all depends on how they storyline this

Wow, this is a "dog chasing its tail" type of thread. The problem with this whole argument is that nobody can definitively define epic anymore, not even Hollywood itself.

Back in the 50's, 60's, and (to a lesser degree) 70's, epics were easily defined. As CGI has increased and improved, and budgets have swollen to astronomical levels, what constitutes an "epic" is much like beauty... it is in the eye of the beholder.

To me, as one of the "older" members on these boards, that is a sad thing. I think there is a lost appreciation for the vision and scale of such films as Gone With The Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, Ben Hur, The Godfather and so many others. All is not lost, however. In today's CGI world, those types of efforts in "epic" storytelling and filmmaking still exist... the LOTR trilogy and Saving Private Ryan come to mind.

However, some believe that "epic" is how much money was spent on it, or how much money it made. To me, epic will always be about the spectacle of the film and the story... is it showing or telling us something in a way that few if any would even dare to attempt.

With that in mind, none of the Spidey movies even comes close to epic. And none of the Batman or Superman movies(except, perhaps for Superman: The Movie) fall into that realm either. There is nothing daring nor original in any of these movies.

Extremely entertaining? Yes.
Epic? No.

Spiderman 1 and 2 are both fantastic movies but I agree with a lot of peolple in saying that they are both not epic. Epic are movies contain shots that make you go "wow" for example thousands of troops going into battle in various films like lord of the rings. Or superman returns when superman has his solar re-charge, that moment in the film was epic, the shot the music everything and was definetily Imo the highlight of Superman Returns, although the film was no where as good as Spiderman it had a greater scope and magnitude a more worldly feel to it like Star wars and Lord of the rings.

i don't believe the spiderman films have this feel to them and seem to be more contained to NY, like Batman to gotham, because i dont think batman is epic either, although he does train on the other side of the world. Neither is the dialougue epic, good but not epic but it is in Superman "The son becomes the father and the father become the son". Spiderman 3 does look it could be epic as the theme of two former friends fighting is certainly and epic one, which is also present in Star Wars. the symbiote gives it that worldy feel as it is alien. Fights with Sandman will also have a greater scope considering the size he can increase to. Also there are a lot of stories which will make the film feel bigger then the first two and a lot of emotions being tossed around which could equal most epic films, A longer running time will make it feel more epic, but the question is will the fights be on a larger enough scale to be mentioned in the same breath as some other epic films, like Star wars, LOTR and other sword and sandal flicks:spidey:

It depends on how you define epic. If you think of "epic" as a heroes journey adventure with a good theme and great visuals the spider-man movies are epic.

It depends on how you define epic. If you think of "epic" as a heroes journey adventure with a good theme and great visuals the spider-man movies are epic.
that is what i and other people think is epic. the spider-man movies feel like they are taking you on a journey and it has an epicness feel to it in terms of the personal battles peter has and the huge villian battles.there are points in the spider-man movies that make the movies epic and by what we have seen of spider-man3 it looks to be the most epic of the franchise.

these movies are adventure movies and this is a heroes journey on how he faces his personal life and his superhero life. spider-man3 the heroes journey is to fight the darkness within and do not let it consume him. these movies are about a lesson that has to be learned which is with great power comes great responsibility. when you see nyc in the spider-man movies it feels epic and stunning. when we see spider-man battle villians in the spider-man movies and we see spider-man dodge, jump up in the air, dodge bullets and all that stuff it is epic. the feeling is there when you watch the fighting and seeing spider-man web-swing in nyc.

If some believe that epic is associated with large scale fights... like thousands of stormtroopers going in to war, like in EPISODE II, then I say not... The idea of the thing is epic... but somehow, when it's all just CG, and very very obvious in the new star wars films, it takes away that true epic feel (at least for me. I dont think it's impressive at all! Lucas's use of CGI is absolutely insane! Epic is not true, if you dont believe in what you are seeing.

The train battle in SPIDER-MAN 2 is way -and I DO mean- WAAAAAAAAY more impressive then any of the freaken CG battles in the new star wars films! If you truely compare the use AND the CG in general between those two films, you'd realize that the CG in spider-man 2 is 100 times better then the CG in star wars episode 2 (just to name one). Again, the trainbattle in spidey 2 is STILL the most impressive CG I have ever seen! And it's the most mindblowing action sequence EVER caught on camera! It's small images that does it for me.. Like when spidey falls from the train down to the ground and slides along the ground. Seeing him shoot out web grapping hold of the cars and glides along the ground. Seeing him catch people and throwing them savely in a big web he creates as people are flying in air. ****ING AWESOME!!!

well, Superman Returns MAY have LOOKED epic, but it lacked heart.

The Spider-man films, whether or not they looked or felt "epic," HAD HEART. And, that's what I think made them so appealing and successful. Yes, they had action and special effects. But, they also had a STORY that made you care for the characters.....that took you on a JOURNEY with characters.

Last weekend, I watched both Spidey films again. Last night, I watched Superman Returns again. To me, there is simply no comparison. Yes, SR had that "epic" look and feel. BUT, it did nothing to make me CARE about the characters. The Spidey films, otoh, made me care about Peter, his struggles, his relationships, etc.

so, will Spider-man 3 be epic? I have no idea. As long as it's a d***n good movie, and a fitting conclusion to the current trilogy, then I'll be a happy little spider.

well, Superman Returns MAY have LOOKED epic, but it lacked heart.

The Spider-man films, whether or not they looked or felt "epic," HAD HEART. And, that's what I think made them so appealing and successful. Yes, they had action and special effects. But, they also had a STORY that made you care for the characters.....that took you on a JOURNEY with characters.

Last weekend, I watched both Spidey films again. Last night, I watched Superman Returns again. To me, there is simply no comparison. Yes, SR had that "epic" look and feel. BUT, it did nothing to make me CARE about the characters. The Spidey films, otoh, made me care about Peter, his struggles, his relationships, etc.

so, will Spider-man 3 be epic? I have no idea. As long as it's a d***n good movie, and a fitting conclusion to the current trilogy, then I'll be a happy little spider.
there was a shot in spidey2 where right befor spidey web-swinged at the end there were birds flying and spidey was swinging near them. that is epic. spider-man3 looks to be very epic such as the areial fight scene between peter and harry. they are fighting mid air. look at my avatar.....symbiote spidey is web-swinging on two webs and pulls himself up. that is epic. you can see tall buildings.

there is alot of story in the spider-man movies along with alot of action. an areial battle is epic no matter what people say.. your fighting above the biggest city in the world which is nyc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"