No Way Home "With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility" - Tobey Maguire Returns As RaimiVerse Spider-Man

Tobey was just... everything in this movie. He didn't phone it in, he stepped back into the role so easily and I legitimately felt like I was seeing a more mature and confident Raimiverse Peter in this and it is such a natural progression from the old movies.

I want to shake Jon Watts' hands for how he honored his version of the character.

Great seeing him again even if it made me feel old haha. One day it’ll happen to you Holland fans too!

Worst entrance?!

This was easily one of the best and most epic entrances I've ever seen.

UK crowds are usually quiet. They all went crazy, cheering and clapping when Tobey and Andrew appeared.

I've seen this only happen once at a cinema and it was for Endgame.

Having two Spider-men suddenly show up with a dramatic "pull off the mask to reveal a previous Peter Parker" moment would have been redundant. One had to have a different kind of entrance. And it's totally fitting to have Tobey be the one who's just "some regular looking guy who walks in and turns out to be another Spider-man". He's the mellow, understated Spider-man, so he got the mellow, understated entrance.

Movie made a billion in a week during a pandemic. We'll see them again.

Movie made a billion in a week during a pandemic. We'll see them again.

But why? The story doesn't really call for them showing up again. This situation happened because the Amazing films weren't very profitable. Just seems like a case of over-playing a gimmick and milking a cow dry.

But why? The story doesn't really call for them showing up again. This situation happened because the Amazing films weren't very profitable. Just seems like a case of over-playing a gimmick and milking a cow dry.

Execs are gonna be looking at all the factors that made this movie a billion dollar success in an era when everything else is faltering, and they're gonna want to recreate that success.

Execs are gonna be looking at all the factors that made this movie a billion dollar success in an era when everything else is faltering, and they're gonna want to recreate that success.

A shame.

Tobey is the best ever version of everybody’s favorite wallcrawler according to IGN readers.
Spider-Man Face-Off - The Winner Revealed - IGN

With a 91.3% win percentage, Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker from the Sam Raimi trilogy of films has claimed victory over all other Spideys by winning 19,557 of his 21,426 battles. Maguire's Spider-Man was one with an incredible global reach as the three films earned more than $2.5 billion globally and captured the hearts and minds of both those who loved comics and those who had never picked up an issue before.
Yes, Tobey’s version of the character beats out even the original comics 616 incarnation.

The Amazing films weren't canned because they "weren't very profitable" (they were.)

They were canned to due to Andrew's antics in 2014 and the email leaks.

If someone goes to a PUBLIC EVENT and trash talks the role while completely drunk, then they hate the role to the point where they don't care if the public knows. And this was during the publicity of TASM. At Comic Con of all places.

So yeah there's no question in my mind he was the one that took the most convincing.

The Amazing Spider-Man Actor Calls Comic-Con Attendees "Sad Parodies of Themselves"

"Almost factual news." This rant you guys bring up is a parody article.

The rant never happened. Unless you're talking of another rant I've not heard of.

The Amazing films weren't canned because they "weren't very profitable" (they were.)

They were canned to due to Andrew's antics in 2014 and the email leaks.

I don't really buy that. If Feige and company had wanted Andrew Garfield in Civil War they would've gotten him.

I don't really buy that. If Feige and company had wanted Andrew Garfield in Civil War they would've gotten him.

They didn't want Andrew in Civil War yes, but it was probably a result of them wanting to start over with the franchise since many things from TASM wouldn't mesh well with the MCU. Also, TASM2 was hated by most at the time. Andrew was a clear no-go.

Feige wanted Avengers in TASM though, and it came really close to happening. Avengers Tower was almost in the skyline of The Amazing Spider-Man's New York. So at one point Feige and Marvel did want Andrew in the MCU - just not after TASM2 was abhorred by most critics.

The Amazing movies performed well at the BO. But they weren't appreciated by most people. That was their downfall.

Tobey is the best ever version of everybody’s favorite wallcrawler according to IGN readers.
Spider-Man Face-Off - The Winner Revealed - IGN

Yes, Tobey’s version of the character beats out even the original comics 616 incarnation.

Lol Nostalgia is a powerful tool. I’ve always believed that whoever played Spider-Man in those Raimi films would be looked at the same way. I’ll probably get crucified for saying that..

No one should beat out the ps4 interpretation of Spider-Man. No other version of the character has been a more spot on representation. That version stands on a pedestal all alone.

Last edited:
They didn't want Andrew in Civil War yes, but it was probably a result of them wanting to start over with the franchise since many things from TASM wouldn't mesh well with the MCU. Also, TASM2 was hated by most at the time. Andrew was a clear no-go.

Feige wanted Avengers in TASM though, and it came really close to happening. Avengers Tower was almost in the skyline of The Amazing Spider-Man's New York. So at one point Feige and Marvel did want Andrew in the MCU - just not after TASM2 was abhorred by most critics.

The Amazing movies performed well at the BO. But they weren't appreciated by most people. That was their downfall.

Man seeing Andrew in that universe would have been so cool especially if they would have maintained true to the character and had him opposing some of Tony’s views. Portray him more as a rebel/outsider then Tony’s lapdog. I wonder how different things have been.

Lol Nostalgia is a powerful tool. I’ve always believed that whoever played Spider-Man in those Raimi films would be looked at the same way. I’ll probably get crucified for saying that..
I’ve expressed the exact same sentiment, and I’m going to get even more crucified for saying Maguire isn’t a great actor for the character. Garfield could’ve pulled off what Tobey accomplished in SM1 and 2 in his sleep, Maguire could never pull off that smart alecky wise cracking nature of the comics character that Garfield did in his movies. While he did quip in his movies, Maguire’s delivery always lacked the pizazz I wanted. He just can’t do it without coming across a little dry. The ideal Spider-Man voice standard is Josh Keaton, who in my opinion is the only actor to perfectly embody the Spidey voice I read the comics with.

To me, Keaton is to Spider-Man what Kevin Conroy is to Batman and just is the definitive actor for the part, and Garfield is the only live action actor to have come close to matching Keaton’s Spider-Man delivery and overall performance for me. Holland is a good close second, I will say. Maguire will always have the advantage of being in better movies than either of his two successors, but I will never view his version as definitive like many will. I certainly don’t think he’s to Spider-Man what Chris Reeve was to Superman, or even RDJ was to Iron Man. He isn’t perfect casting, but he does work for that iteration of Peter Parker who is more of a doormat than his 616 comics self.

Last edited:
I’ve expressed the exact same sentiment, and I’m going to get even more crucified for saying Maguire isn’t a great actor the character. Garfield could’ve have pulled off what Tobey accomplished in SM1 and 2 in his sleep, Maguire could never pull off that smart alecky wise cracking nature of the comics character. While he did quip in his movies, Maguire’s delivery always lacked the pizazz I wanted. He just can’t do it without coming across a little dry. The ideal Spider-Man voice standard is Josh Keaton, who in my opinion is the only actor to perfectly embody the Spidey voice I read the comics with.

To me, Keaton is to Spider-Man what Kevin Conroy is to Batman and just is the definitive actor for the part, and Garfield is the only live action actor to have come close to matching Keaton’s Spider-Man delivery and overall performance for me. Holland is a good close second, I will say. Maguire will always have the advantage of being in better movies than either of his two successors, but I will never view his version as definitive like many will. I certainly don’t think he’s to Spider-Man what Chris Reeve was to Superman, or even RDJ was to Iron Man. He isn’t perfect casting, but he does work for that iteration of Peter Parker who is more of a doormat than his 616 comics self.

Can we nominate this for post of the year to close the show on 2021? Perfectly said.

I’ve always felt Tobey wasn’t the right guy for the role of Spider-Man. He did play the role of what the studio was looking for well which to me wasn’t the Spider-Man that resonates with me. I don’t recall Peter Parker ever being a doormat or seemingly lacking a back bone. Too often in those movies, that’s what it came off as though. Also add in the constant overacting along side Kirsten Dunst such as that break up sequence in SM3 on the bridge. God…..

Again, I loved the movies and Tobey played that version well. It’s just not the version that I personally connect with or feel is accurate. I hear everyone throw out the term “loser” and that Tobey played that well. Peter Parker was more of that bad luck type of loser. Nothing in his personality ever screamed of being a loser or doormat The guy would be late for class, miss rent, not have money for his aunts medical bills and so on…but the guy isn’t going to sit there across the table from his best friend and crawl into a ball while basically being told “Your woman likes me more then you” in that little coffee shop.

Tobey just went a little too hard on the door mat side of things during his time with the character for my liking.

As far as Andrew goes….nothing to add…You already know how I feel about him.

Last edited:
616 should obviously be number 1 by default. But yeah, Tobey, Barnes, Keaton and Yuri are the best adaptations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"