No Way Home "With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility" - Tobey Maguire Returns As RaimiVerse Spider-Man

Tobey's still the best. Seeing him with the other two reminded me of that. I hope they bring him back again even if its just in a small part. I'll take it.

bfkttj9.gif

A few of Tobey and Kirstens scenes have not aged well. Maybe some of that is unfair to Tobey since MJ is kind of written like a one in a generation hoe through out the series, so it’s hard to root for her Still though, their chemistry wasn’t the best on screen. Some of that was due to Tobeys overacting, some of it due to Peter being written as door mat, some of it was Kirsten Dunst being a little too hoey….

Whatever the case though, some of their scenes that were intended to be emotional…ended up being just cringe or intentionally funny.

I don't entirely disagree with that actually, but I don't think their scenes are that bad at least in the first two movies. If we are talking about Spider-Man 3 than yeah there was definitely alot of cringe and badly directed scenes with them in that movie, especially that break-up scene on the bridge which hasn't aged well at all.

I don't entirely disagree with that actually, but I don't think their scenes are that bad at least in the first two movies. If we are talking about Spider-Man 3 than yeah there was definitely alot of cringe and badly directed scenes with them in that movie, especially that break-up scene on the bridge which hasn't aged well at all.

The bridge scene was actually one of the scenes that came to mind almost instantly. Lol

The acting from both combined with the writing was so damn awful. There was absolutely no chemistry between the two of them at that point. They tried to compensate for that with such over the top acting. It makes the scene unintentionally hysterical.

The icing on the cake after that is when you have Harry basically walking all over Peter in the cafe…Starting from the famous “I’m the other guy” line with Peter on the verge of tears….. capping it off with the even more famous “So good….” line when asked about the pie. All in all Tobey’s reactions, acting and questionable writing just make those scenes so damn funny.

The bridge scene was actually one of the scenes that came to mind almost instantly. Lol

The acting from both combined with the writing was so damn awful. There was absolutely no chemistry between the two of them at that point. They tried to compensate for that with such over the top acting. It makes the scene unintentionally hysterical.

The icing on the cake after that is when you have Harry basically walking all over Peter in the cafe…Starting from the famous “I’m the other guy” line with Peter on the verge of tears….. capping it off with the even more famous “So good….” line when asked about the pie. All in all Tobey’s reactions, acting and questionable writing just make those scenes so damn funny.
I will say, I love Franco's performance in that scene, it's like he was the only one who knew exactly how to approach such an absurd scene.

I will say, I love Franco's performance in that scene, it's like he was the only one who knew exactly how to approach such an absurd scene.

Lmfao….

Franco absolutely kills it in that scene. To this day I can’t watch that scene without literally balling with tears streaming. It’s that damn funny. You almost end up rooting for him over Tobey because of how Franco just completely shines.

Silly scenes like that work because Franco has such good comedic timing IMO. His facial expressions are just the best and while I can't speak for him personally, I always enjoyed him when he was in comedies.

Pineapple Express really showed just how much range he had as a comedic actor too.

Silly scenes like that work because Franco has such good comedic timing IMO. His facial expressions are just the best and while I can't speak for him personally, I always enjoyed him when he was in comedies.

Pineapple Express really showed just how much range he had as a comedic actor too.

Lol yea dude I love James.

Makes me wonder sometimes how it would have worked having him as Peter/Spider-Man because of that comedic element. I could have sworn I remember it being said that he auditioned for the role before Tobey did.

One nitpick I have is Tobey Peter talking about Harry to Ned. He says that Harry died in his arms after he tried to kill him, but he should really be saying that Harry died in his arms after he sacrificed his life to save him m. Now technically it is true from a certain point of view that he did perish after he tried to murder him but that’s not totally accurate to how things really ended between Harry and Peter. If you hadn’t watched the Raimi trilogy and just watched that scene you would be left with the somewhat mistaken impression that Harry just died as a bad guy just going off that dialogue alone.

I get they wrote it that way to set up that joke of Ned confusing Holland Peter with his promise not to turn evil(which is also a ironic nod to Ned’s history as being the Hobgoblin), but I still found the dialogue somewhat disingenuous and I don’t believe Tobey’s Peter would see it that way and recount those events the way he did.

One nitpick I have is Tobey Peter talking about Harry to Ned. He says that Harry died in his arms after he tried to kill him, but he should really be saying that Harry died in his arms after he sacrificed his life to save him m. Now technically it is true from a certain point of view that he did perish after he tried to murder him but that’s not totally accurate to how things really ended between Harry and Peter. If you hadn’t watched the Raimi trilogy and just watched that scene you would be left with the somewhat mistaken impression that Harry just died as a bad guy just going off that dialogue alone.

I get they wrote it that way to set up that joke of Ned confusing Holland Peter with his promise not to turn evil(which is also a ironic nod to Ned’s history as being the Hobgoblin), but I still found the dialogue somewhat disingenuous and I don’t believe Tobey’s Peter would see it that way and recount those events the way he did.

That really is a nitpick. Your way would have also given an incomplete picture as it would just make Harry seem like he'd been a completely heroic character.

I think it comes down to what Peter 2 would think is most important or relevant for Peter 1's best friend to hear. A friend sacrificing himself for a friend isn't really surprising or noteworthy, and it doesn't give Ned any additional insight into the sort of things that can happen around Spider-man.

That really is a nitpick. Your way would have also given an incomplete picture as it would just make Harry seem like he'd been a completely heroic character.

I think it comes down to what Peter 2 would think is most important or relevant for Peter 1's best friend to hear. A friend sacrificing himself for a friend isn't really surprising or noteworthy, and it doesn't give Ned any additional insight into the sort of things that can happen around Spider-man.
Yeah, I don’t think I agree. They clearly wrote it that way for the purpose of that laugh moment. Which again, while funny, I think it’s too inauthentic to how Maguire Peter would actually recall those events. Doesn’t detract for the movie that much as I stated it’s a small quibble.

So what are the chances we see visit Raimi's Spider-Man universe in Multi-Verse of madness.

With all the other stuff going on in that movie. Id say slim.

I think there’s a slight chance we see it briefly but I don’t think there’s anything terribly distinctively different enough about Raimi New York from the MCU that will immediately scream at you, “oh! parallel universe!” aside from the fact Raimi Spider-Man doesn’t look like MCU Spider-Man.

Raimi gives his New York civilians character and personality regardless of if they have a few seconds of screen time.

I went into this film hearing all this buzz about Garfield stealing the show, but for me seeing Tobey again was the real highlight. I'm biased of course, he's my Spider-Man and the version I grew up with, plus I do think he had the best films. But it was emotional to get to see him as the older, mentor figure. And seeing that original Spider-Man suit again was awesome.

Ned's comment about him being "some random guy" is exactly why Tobey is the best to me. He just has that decent, everyman vibe that made him so relatable. And he's the only version of the character that truly plays the down on his luck nerd. Garfield and Holland both played the character in an age where being a nerd didn't even have the same cultural meaning because nerdy kind of became the new cool. Tobey being kind of a sappy goofball is exactly why I think he's the best. It made for the most contrast between Peter Parker and Spider-Man, even if his Spider-Man wasn't the most wise-cracking version. Overall the combo of Tobey's performance and Raimi's filmmaking just made for the most relatable and inspiring experience, IMO. I'd love to know what Raimi thought of NWH.

I'd say the odds are pretty good.

Why were a good chunk of Marvel actors doing in Los Angeles before that trailer event? Maguire and Zendaya were in the same restaurant for Chrissakes, and Maguire and Garfield weren't in the second trailer or did press for the movie.

I think DS2 is going to have a LOT of cameos. I'd bet $5 that Tobey is one of those added during the reshoots.

It would feel like a missed opportunity for sure. But I suppose it depends whether or not it truly serves the narrative.

Rumors out there that there's gonna be a few LEGO sets this year for Raimi Spidey commemorating the 20th anniversary, that was the first licensed superhero thing they ever did back then too.

I am inclined to say it is possible, but not likely. There is the matter of a Spider-Man appearance still being owed to Marvel Studios per the NWH deal, so on that level it could happen. But I don't foresee much Spider-Man stuff in MoM. NWH was the place for the multiverse Spider-Man stuff and that was the Spider-Man franchise celebration. Which is why I laughed off anytime someone tried to tell me X-Men or whatever else was going to be in NWH. It made no sense given what they were going for.

MoM will be where Fox characters may be in play or random variants. I could see Sam doing something small with Tobey Spider-Man maybe. But I do think was more appropriate for NWH than MoM. So I am gonna to say, probably not

If Raimi is juggling Dr Strange, Scarlett Witch and a bunch of other Marvel characters rumored to be involved, including possibly FOX characters. I have a feeling that Raimi Spider-man won't be seen as a must-use thing here. When Raimi is figuring out how to put in Xavier, Magneto, Mr Fantastic, or whoever they got planned. I dunno whether there will be much thought about Spider-man. Who probably had his moment in No Way Home, prior.

No Way Home is the movie for the Spider-men. All including Spider-man in The Multiverse of Madness would do is take away a part for another character.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"