Superman Returns With SR's dissapointing Box Office, is the "Geek Golden Age" over?

Lestat74

Civilian
Reaction score
I think with the underwhelming Box Office of SR, we may be seeing an end to the "Geek Golden Age" we've been so lucky to live in. I'm 32 years old, and I remember back in the 80's and most of the 90's, all the fanboy "dream projects" were just that...unlikely figments of our imaginations. The Lord of the Rings was deemed "unfilmable". George Lucas had moved on from Star Wars, it was over. We kept reading about potential movie versions of our beloved comic books in the pages of Wizard Magazine and before that, Amazing Heroes ( yeah, I go back that far...sue me, I'm old ) But they never happened. All we got were campier and campier seuqels to Batman an childish tripe like Steel and Spawn.

And then the Matrix happened. And then the idea that a sci fi "comic book" movie ( in theme if not in fact ) could be great and commercially succesful wasn't a crazy one anymore. Then X-men happened, and instead of making it another campfest, Fox got Bryan Singer, an actual director with pedigree, to make a real film out of a comic book. Then Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films went through the roof. Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings proved that not only was it filmable, it could be made into a damn fine series of films. Even Hulk, while dissapointing in many ways, dared to treat the subject matter with seriousness. Sure, there were dissapointments...the new Star Wars trilogy couldn't compare to the originals, and Fantastic Four and Daredevil weren't what I'd call Oscar quality, and that's putting it mildly. But they happened. The idea that there would even be a Fantastic Four movie and a Daredevil movie would have been a pipe dream when I was a kid. ( And I'll go as far as saying both those movies are better than just about any of the 90's super hero films ) Sometimes I still can't believe they made a Hellboy film. Who whould have thought that back in the day?? And Batman Begins once again proved a comic book movie could be made with the same quality and integrety as any Oscar nominated film. And because of that, Warners trusted Bryan Singer to make a Superman movie with the same seriousness as Nolan gave Batman.

But now it looks like that gamble has not paid off, and I'm pretty sure that the suits at all the studios are gonna balk at more adult oriented takes on Super Heroes, especially with more family oriented stuff like Pirates gobbling up everything else around them. This bodes ill for those of us who were excited about seeing real quality films made out of comics. Warners has got to be freaking out about Wonder Woman, Flash and especially the Watchmen right now. And Jack Black should be getting a call anyday now for a more Comedic family friendly Green Lantern *shudder*

One good thing is that Marvel is in control of their further movie output, so hopefully they won't let anyone dumb them down. But even they are gonna feel the pressure to do so now.

But in any event, this really was a "golden age" for us geeks in many ways, maybe we should have appreciated it more while we had it. We all knew it had to end sometime.

Discuss....

Lestat74 said:
I think with the underwhelming Box Office of SR, we may be seeing an end to the "Geek Golden Age" we've been so lucky to live in. I'm 32 years old, and I remember back in the 80's and most of the 90's, all the fanboy "dream projects" were just that...unlikely figments of our imaginations. The Lord of the Rings was deemed "unfilmable". George Lucas had moved on from Star Wars, it was over. We kept reading about potential movie versions of our beloved comic books in the pages of Wizard Magazine and before that, Amazing Heroes ( yeah, I go back that far...sue me, I'm old ) But they never happened. All we got were campier and campier seuqels to Batman an childish tripe like Steel and Spawn.

And then the Matrix happened. And then the idea that a sci fi "comic book" movie ( in theme if not in fact ) could be great and commercially succesful wasn't a crazy one anymore. Then X-men happened, and instead of making it another campfest, Fox got Bryan Singer, an actual director with pedigree, to make a real film out of a comic book. Then Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films went through the roof. Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings proved that not only was it filmable, it could be made into a damn fine series of films. Even Hulk, while dissapointing in many ways, dared to treat the subject matter with seriousness. Sure, there were dissapointments...the new Star Wars trilogy couldn't compare to the originals, and Fantastic Four and Daredevil weren't what I'd call Oscar quality, and that's putting it mildly. But they happened. The idea that there would even be a Fantastic Four movie and a Daredevil movie would have been a pipe dream when I was a kid. ( And I'll go as far as saying both those movies are better than just about any of the 90's super hero films ) Sometimes I still can't believe they made a Hellboy film. Who whould have thought that back in the day?? And Batman Begins once again proved a comic book movie could be made with the same quality and integrety as any Oscar nominated film. And because of that, Warners trusted Bryan Singer to make a Superman movie with the same seriousness as Nolan gave Batman.

But now it looks like that gamble has not paid off, and I'm pretty sure that the suits at all the studios are gonna balk at more adult oriented takes on Super Heroes, especially with more family oriented stuff like Pirates gobbling up everything else around them. This bodes ill for those of us who were excited about seeing real quality films made out of comics. Warners has got to be freaking out about Wonder Woman, Flash and especially the Watchmen right now. And Jack Black should be getting a call anyday now for a more Comedic family friendly Green Lantern *shudder*

One good thing is that Marvel is in control of their further movie output, so hopefully they won't let anyone dumb them down. But even they are gonna feel the pressure to do so now.

But in any event, this really was a "golden age" for us geeks in many ways, maybe we should have appreciated it more while we had it. We all knew it had to end sometime.

Discuss....

The only thing that went wrong here was that Singer had no idea what WE wanted, just what HE wanted and that always fails a movie.

Not only that but he had absolutely NOTHING to add from 30 years ago. This also fails a movie.

It's not over, there just needs to be more good movies released.

casketmouth said:
The only thing that went wrong here was that Singer had no idea what WE wanted, just what HE wanted and that always fails a movie.

Maybe. But on the flip side of that, you can sometimes give the fanboys just about everything they beg for ( Fastball Special, tons of Mutant Cameos, etc. ) and it all becomes busy and pointless like X3 was. And yeah I know, it made tons of money, but to this day I think it's because of the fanbase Bryan Singer built with his previous films, not anything Brett Ratner did.

retconned said:

OK, it's clear by your sig you are not a SR fans, and I'm not gonna debate that here. But whether you like the movie or not, you must acknowledge that it was a more serious take on Superman. And studio executives are very much of the school of "what's hot NOW" and with SR underperforming, what are the odds they are gonna bankroll other more serious comic book movies ( especially Watchmen ) some of which you are bound to like. Superman Returns not performing like they want is bound to have negative side effects more than good ones. That's what I'm trying to say.

retconned said:
Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Spider-Man series, etc...There are quiet a few good movie franchises still going. Singer should of stayed with the X-Men franchise...things would have been better off for all of us.

I thought SR was a good movie...lacked a lot yes and was a bit long...but it was a lot better than the predecessors. I hate Superman III...that is an awful movie.

chaseter said:
Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Spider-Man series, etc...There are quiet a few good movie franchises still going. Singer should of stayed with the X-Men franchise...things would have been better off for all of us.

I agree

Lestat74 said:
Maybe. But on the flip side of that, you can sometimes give the fanboys just about everything they beg for ( Fastball Special, tons of Mutant Cameos, etc. ) and it all becomes busy and pointless like X3 was. And yeah I know, it made tons of money, but to this day I think it's because of the fanbase Bryan Singer built with his previous films, not anything Brett Ratner did.

No, Mutant cameos is NOT what we wanted. The plots of all three movies should have been written in ways where all the essential xmen chracters mean something and not just seeing specific names on a computer screen and going cool I saw Gambits name. How stupid.

Nolan gave BATMAN fans what they wanted and Burton sub par did the same.

Darker Batman - check
Christian Bale - check
Scarecrow done right - check
great cast - check
enough Batman for the plot - check
good enough plot - check
tougher and more gritty Batman - check
originality - check
coolness - check

Darker or more mature Superman - not really we got a whipped on puntang guy
great cast - not
supervillain, preferebly DOOMSDAY - not
good plot - not
superman - not, he only cameoed
ORIGINALITY - HELL NO!!!!

bagh I'm tired of this game... ya'll get the point!

chaseter said:

I thought SR was a good movie...lacked a lot yes and was a bit long...but it was a lot better than the predecessors. I hate Superman III...that is an awful movie.

I don't say Batman Begins was good because it was a lot better than Forever and B&R..that should be a given unless Nolan wanted to be shot, but Begins was great because it was a great movie.

chaseter said:

Well, it would certainly have been better for X-men. But I'm not so sure about SR ( Which I will admit I loved ) As much as I love JJ Abrams as a creator, the whole "Krypton not blowing up/Kryptonian Lex/Super Suit in a can/Evil half brother" angle I was NOT a fan of. I was far happier with the more traditional take, Super Son included. That may have made more money, but been more damaging to the franchise IMHO.

Lestat74 said:
OK, it's clear by your sig you are not a SR fans, and I'm not gonna debate that here. But whether you like the movie or not, you must acknowledge that it was a more serious take on Superman. And studio executives are very much of the school of "what's hot NOW" and with SR underperforming, what are the odds they are gonna bankroll other more serious comic book movies ( especially Watchmen ) some of which you are bound to like. Superman Returns not performing like they want is bound to have negative side effects more than good ones. That's what I'm trying to say.

Batman wasn't a record shattering flick but it has some of the best word of mouth success EVER!!!! It was considered one of the BEST of 2005, and got acclaimed reviews everywhere. Superman won't even be at the MTV movie awards as anything.

casketmouth said:
I don't say Batman Begins was good because it was a lot better than Forever and B&R..that should be a given unless Nolan wanted to be shot, but Begins was great because it was a great movie.
It was a great movie but we have yet to see if it will be a succesfull franchise...which I am sure it will:)

Spider-Man, Pirates, and that is all I can think of right now have been great movies with everything working so perfectly that they produce superior films. That is why they make great money. SR lacked so much...that is why it didn't do as good. If they make a second movie, I am sure it will be better.

Lestat74 said:
Well, it would certainly have been better for X-men. But I'm not so sure about SR ( Which I will admit I loved ) As much as I love JJ Abrams as a creator, the whole "Krypton not blowing up/Kryptonian Lex/Super Suit in a can/Evil half brother" angle I was NOT a fan of. I was far happier with the more traditional take, Super Son included. That may have made more money, but been more damaging to the franchise IMHO.

Burton shoulv'e just given us something new and twisted so at least we'd know it's a BURTON movie which is what I would have been enjoying anyway.

chaseter said:
It was a great movie but we have yet to see if it will be a succesfull franchise...which I am sure it will:)

Spider-Man, Pirates, and that is all I can think of right now have been great movies with everything working so perfectly that they produce superior films. That is why they make great money. SR lacked so much...that is why it didn't do as good. If they make a second movie, I am sure it will be better.

They need to let superman chill for a few years and go on to other heroes and stuff.

casketmouth said:
No, Mutant cameos is NOT what we wanted. The plots of all three movies should have been written in ways where all the essential xmen chracters mean something and not just seeing specific names on a computer screen and going cool I saw Gambits name. How stupid.

Nolan gave BATMAN fans what they wanted and Burton sub par did the same.

Darker Batman - check
Christian Bale - check
Scarecrow done right - check
great cast - check
enough Batman for the plot - check
good enough plot - check
tougher and more gritty Batman - check
originality - check
coolness - check

Darker or more mature Superman - not really we got a whipped on puntang guy
great cast - not
supervillain, preferebly DOOMSDAY - not
good plot - not
superman - not, he only cameoed
ORIGINALITY - HELL NO!!!!

bagh I'm tired of this game... ya'll get the point!

I gotta say, I don't get all the love for Doomsday. He's not really a character, just a gimmick created to kill Superman in what amounted to a '90s marketing event more than a story. I think Darkseid is a far better character, but Apokolips and all that is far too expensive to ever be done justice in a movie. Braniac would be the logical way to go, if you play up the fact that he is also another survivor of Krypton. At least there's dramatic tension that way.

I Loved SUperman Returns, thought it was great. but I think it didn't do too well, because The Genral Public just don't like SUperman, he isn't cool. This Movie flopping doesn't mean anything is over, X3 did good, and the Batman Beins sequel, and SPidey 3 will both do great.

Really dont believe that it's the end of this geek movie era but I think the comic book era is coming to an end. After SM3 comes out it's going to be a wrap for most comic book flicks. The craze is going to die down soon, and only the ones that have proven themselves financially and with the general audiences are going to be the ones coming out, Batman Sequal FF4, and Spidey. The studios are milking these franchises and it's showing with X3 and SR. With X3 everyone wanted to see it but when they saw it it wasnt all that. SR, nobody really wanted to see, when they saw it, it was good but not great so the word of mouth wasnt that great. People want to see something new and fun during the summer(POTC2:up:). If Supes would of came out during the winter it would most likely made more.

casketmouth said:
Burton shoulv'e just given us something new and twisted so at least we'd know it's a BURTON movie which is what I would have been enjoying anyway.

Man. I LOVE Tim Burton,( Nightmare Before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands are in my Top 20 ) but am thrilled we never got to see that version of Superman. I really, really don't want a "twisted" take on him. Maybe the difference with me and all the people who hate SR is that I really don't want Superman re-invented. I like him safe and familiar and steady...the way you view your Dad when your 5 and he's infalliable. Tim Burton's Superman would not have been anything like the Superman we know ( He wasn't even supposed to know he was from Krypton ) And if people complained about "emo Superman" this time, people would have gone berserk with what Burton would have given us. he was gonna heavily emphasize his "I'm an outsider and depressed" status. And with a black costume that threw knives. Ugh.

Really looking forward to Burton's Sweeny Todd though. That's a match made in heaven.

Mike said:
Really dont believe that it's the end of this geek movie era but I think the comic book era is coming to an end. After SM3 comes out it's going to be a wrap for most comic book flicks. The craze is going to die down soon, and only the ones that have proven themselves financially and with the general audiences are going to be the ones coming out, Batman Sequal FF4, and Spidey. The studios are milking these franchises and it's showing with X3 and SR. With X3 everyone wanted to see it but when they saw it it wasnt all that. SR, nobody really wanted to see, when they saw it, it was good but not great so the word of mouth wasnt that great. People want to see something new and fun during the summer(POTC2:up:). If Supes would of came out during the winter it would most likely made more.

well, maybe I should have been more clear and said "Comic Book Movie" era. Although I threw in all the other stuff cuz it's all the same fan base, more or less. I really hope we still see Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman and The Watchmen..I'm most excited for those, and I hope the studio doesn't give up on them. Especially since I'm such a Whedon-ite.

no need to panic.

When you look at the big picture, one comicbook movie faultering isn't going to end any "geek movie age" especially with SM3 and Transformers on the horizon.

Gosh, come on...

What this has taught WB is to never use Vague history again, edit their movies better, i'll add better writing too, Stay true to the spirit of the character and bring in lex corp next time. plus no superboy.

Dont think it will end really with comic book movies but with them spewing out with 3 or more comic book movies per year is going to die down soon. After awhile we'll probably get a comic flick once every 2 years. It's like the Kung Fu craze, the bullet time craze, the western craze, the American pie wanna beez craze, it will die down soon.

Galactical said:
no need to panic.

When you look at the big picture, one comicbook movie faultering isn't going to end any "geek movie age" especially with SM3 and Transformers on the horizon.

Gosh, come on...

What this has taught WB is to never use Vague history again, edit their movies better, i'll add better writing too, Stay true to the spirit of the character and bring in lex corp next time. plus no superboy.

They could easily bring in LexCorp next time if they so desired. Lex has billions now, and it's not like they can pin "New Krypton" on him anyways. I'd set the next movie a good 5 years after this one, have Richard White die in the interim ( He is a pilot of small planes...how easy is that? Although I did like him in SR and thought he didn't do the easy thing of making the "other man" unlikable so the audience hates him ) and have Clark reveal to Lois that he's Superman and proceed from there.

And while I'm sure there will be more comics movies ( too many are in development now to be out and out canned ) I am afraid that Warners will start to take a Batman Forever route on future projects like WW, Flash and G.L. I really thought they were moving in the right direction creatively with Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, and Superman Returns ( And to a lesser extent Constantine, although Keanu in that part is still plain wrong ) We'll have to wait and see.

Lestat74 said:
I gotta say, I don't get all the love for Doomsday. He's not really a character, just a gimmick created to kill Superman in what amounted to a '90s marketing event more than a story. I think Darkseid is a far better character, but Apokolips and all that is far too expensive to ever be done justice in a movie. Braniac would be the logical way to go, if you play up the fact that he is also another survivor of Krypton. At least there's dramatic tension that way.

Braniac would have been excellant. Especially after Superman returns from krypton, it would have been cool if braniac was latched on his ship or if he had always been there but the ship mysteriously awoke him. Then he somehow finds lex and then all hell brakes loose.

Lestat74 said:
They could easily bring in LexCorp next time if they so desired. Lex has billions now, and it's not like they can pin "New Krypton" on him anyways. I'd set the next movie a good 5 years after this one, have Richard White die in the interim ( He is a pilot of small planes...how easy is that? Although I did like him in SR and thought he didn't do the easy thing of making the "other man" unlikable so the audience hates him ) and have Clark reveal to Lois that he's Superman and proceed from there.

And while I'm sure there will be more comics movies ( too many are in development now to be out and out canned ) I am afraid that Warners will start to take a Batman Forever route on future projects like WW, Flash and G.L. I really thought they were moving in the right direction creatively with Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, and Superman Returns ( And to a lesser extent Constantine, although Keanu in that part is still plain wrong ) We'll have to wait and see.

The Son should DIE!!!!!! that'll really start something between supes and LEX!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"