Wizard Showdown Part II: Gandalf Vs Dumbledore

Did you read the books? Dumbledore soundly handed Voldemort his ass. Dumbledore had no desire to come back and saw death as "the next great adventure". Dumbledore allowed himself to be killed. He wasn't "murdered by a guy named Snape." He planned his death out a year in advance. You guys are assuming waaay too much about Gandalf's power that he does not show. Maybe he didn't show it, because he doesn't have it. Just sayin'. Sometimes the easiest answer is the right one.

Oh bloody hell, now I've been dragged into it. :cmad:

Oh yeah!

And Dumbledore would've just apparated to mount doom and dropped the ring in. I mean, for such a powerful wizard, Gandalf really didn't do much magic. Sure, he fell down a hole, but who can really authenticate the fact that he died and came back? Or maybe he just fell into a lake, which in turn washed his dirty hair, put on some clean robes and went about his business. Plus, I'm sure if I went to some slow witted midget village, told them I was a powerful wizard and started lighting off some fireworks, I would get a few of them to follow me around too. I'd argue that Gandalf was nothing more than.......A FRAUD!!!!!!! And to make this official, I'm going to use IT: :ikyn

Gandalf fans won't catch feelings like Dumbledore fans.

And Dumbledore would've just apparated to mount doom and dropped the ring in. I mean, for such a powerful wizard, Gandalf really didn't do much magic. Sure, he fell down a hole, but who can really authenticate the fact that he died and came back? Or maybe he just fell into a lake, which in turn washed his dirty hair, put on some clean robes and went about his business. Plus, I'm sure if I went to some slow witted midget village, told them I was a powerful wizard and started lighting off some fireworks, I would get a few of them to follow me around too. I'd argue that Gandalf was nothing more than.......A FRAUD!!!!!!! And to make this official, I'm going to use IT: :ikyn
Well, Matt you and I don't really get along. But you did a pretty good job supporting your view on the topic. :up:

And Dumbledore would've just apparated to mount doom and dropped the ring in. I mean, for such a powerful wizard, Gandalf really didn't do much magic.
Gandalf could have done that, but then he wouldn't have played the role he was ordered to play, and become someone like Sauron

Gandalf could have done that, but then he wouldn't have played the role he was ordered to play, and become someone like Sauron

Sounds like an excuse to me. Sounds like a lot of the excuses I am hearing from the Gandalf camp. "Gandalf COULD use magic, he just chooses not to." Sounds like a lot of speculation to me. Plus it says to me that Gandalf is weak on defense. He could've just used his shock and awe attack (teleport to mount doom and drop the ring in) but instead he costs thousands of Middle Earth soldiers their lives? Gandalf doesn't support the troops. Would you really trust Gandalf with his finger on the button?

Vote Dumbledore 2008.

Dumbledore had no desire to come back and saw death as "the next great adventure". Dumbledore allowed himself to be killed. He wasn't "murdered by a guy named Snape." He planned his death out a year in advance.

Obi Wan Rip-Off :o

So are you saying Dumbledore would easily take out Gandalf?

Dumbledore COULD have done a lot of things as well, but he left the fate of the whole wizarding world up to a sexually ambiguous geek boy with an irritating skin condition. What battles did he fight?

Now Gandalf, hmm, let's see...
  • Helm's Deep - Saved the day by bringing in the calvary and put the whupping on an army of Uruk-hai
  • Minas Tirith - Took leadership position when the Steward of Gondor went crazy, holding back a vast army of baddies until the King showed up

Dumbledore
  • fought a dude who has a lisp
  • got killed by a dude w/an emo haircut

So are you saying Dumbledore would easily take out Gandalf?

I am. The readily avaliable magic in Dumbledore's "World" just seems more powerful. The few times we see Gandalf use magic, there appears to be a lot of concentration and chanting where as Dumbledore can pretty much just say "Avada Kedavra" and that's the end of Gandalf.

Dumbledore COULD have done a lot of things as well, but he left the fate of the whole wizarding world up to a sexually ambiguous geek boy with an irritating skin condition. What battles did he fight?

• Helm's Deep - Saved the day by bringing in the calvary and put the whupping on an army of Uruk-hai
  • Minas Tirith - Took leadership position when the Steward of Gondor went crazy, holding back a vast army of baddies until the King showed up

Dumbledore

Dumbledore always seemed like a hollow character to me. Gandalf, even though he didn't use his magic as much, has way more substance.

Dumbledore

Dumbledore was powerful enough to not have to fight battles. People just knew better. Plus, rumor has it that Dumbledore and Chuck Norris are very close friends. Check and mate.

I am. The readily avaliable magic in Dumbledore's "World" just seems more powerful. The few times we see Gandalf use magic, there appears to be a lot of concentration and chanting where as Dumbledore can pretty much just say "Avada Kedavra" and that's the end of Gandalf.

But Gandalf could come back again and again. But we'd assume Dumbledore would plan his own demise a year before the match begins.

Dumbledore always seemed like a hollow character to me. Gandalf, even though he didn't use his magic as much, has way more substance.

Are you kidding me? Have you read the books? Gandalf was your typical grey beard, Merlin-esque, wise wizard stereotype. Dumbledore was incredibly unique. He was odd and witty and calm no matter what. He had a bit more arrogance than you usually see in this type of character arch-type. Plus he had a really interesting background that makes him so much more than your typical greybearded, wise, ancient, wizard on a pedestal above everyone else.

But Gandalf could come back again and again. But we'd assume Dumbledore would plan his own demise a year before the match begins.

And perhaps planning his own death would lead to Gandalf's ultimate demise (for good) much like planning his death lead to Voldemort's ultimate demise. Again, we do not know enough about Gandal's "power" to know under what conditions he can come back, or how strong his magic is. Dumbledore gets the win, strictly on the grounds that we know what his power is capable of and that he can actually use it.

Dumbledore was powerful enough to not have to fight battles. People just knew better. Plus, rumor has it that Dumbledore and Chuck Norris are very close friends. Check and mate.

Gandalf fans don't have to resort to a pop culture phenomenon to sustain his status.

Gandalf fans don't have to resort to a pop culture phenomenon to sustain his status.

Very True!

chuck_norris.jpg

And at least Dumbledore's writer had talent. Seriously, I appreciate what Tolkein did in creating the world, but he seems a bit like George Lucas to me. Great with ideas, horrible with execution. Reading his work is like reading a third grade history text book. His writing style is boring as sin.

And at least Dumbledore's writer had talent. Seriously, I appreciate what Tolkein did in creating the world, but he seems a bit like George Lucas to me. Great with ideas, horrible with execution. Reading his work is like reading a third grade history text book. His writing style is boring as sin.

Why are you dissing George Lucas? He's one of the most talented creators of our time. You could have made your point without going there.
mrs_boxing.gif

And with a statement claiming J.K. Rowling's writing is superior to Tolkien's...I step back from the insanity.

And with a statement claiming J.K. Rowling's writing is superior to Tolkien's...I step back from the insanity.

She may not be as original, but her style is certainly more painless to read.

Not only does Gandalf not do much magic but some of the magic he does use isn't his own. It was revealed at the end if the series that he was the keeper of one of the three elven rings, the ring of fire which I think is Vilya. Some of the magic he uses is the ring's. How much we never find out. The fireworks are the magic of Vilya though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"