The Official Thread For: Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix

The older actors carry the film, the younger actors are okay... going to need to see Harry outside of Potter for a true judgement to be made.

multiple factors, true, but the standing is still not true since you are only looking at hypotheticals which you are confusing me of as well. Thus, the only answer is there is no answer.

I think they get better as it goes along (the younger ones).
Oh, and I forgot to mention Robbie Coltrane...and I loved Richard Harris as Dumbledore, I didn't care for Gambon at first but I liked him in OOTP.

I'd agree that there is no definitive answer.

It's not revised artwork -- did you guys expect the art from the 2-disc edition to be used for the single-disc? It's not, when Warners initially announced it they didn't post up the single-disc artwork yet because they hadn't finalized it yet. :whatever:

And yeah, the single-disc artwork rocks. Shame neither releases have the theatrical trailer... unless Warners included it and neglected to put it on the press release.
Actually they did post the single disc artwork. It was the same as the two disc. Also the artwork for GOF 2disc is almost exactly the same as the single disc.

AWESOME NEWS!!!! 17 MINUTES OF NEW FOOTAGE, NOT 10!!!

Warner Brothers confirms US OOTP DVD details

After various sites confirmed the Limited Edition Gift Set and 2-disc Special Edition, Warner Brothers has announced details for all four DVD sets being released on December 11th.

Details of note:
- Single disc (both fullscreen and widescreen) priced at $28.98, Dual-Disc at $34.99, HD and Blu-ray at $35.99.
- Dual-disc set to include "sneak" peek at Half-Blood Prince.
- Additional 17 minutes of OOTP footage included on all DVDs.
- Limited Edition Gift Set to include "more than three hours of all-new content from the past Harry Potter films."

http://www.mugglenet.com/movies/movie5/ootpdvd.shtml

Oh and btw, there's a government program that was named 'Star Wars' after the SW franchise let's see Potter get something along similar lines as well- shall we? LMAOL.

Seriously? You are going determine if the Harry Potter franchise is a success or not only if it's named after a weapons program that absolutely nothing to do with Star Wars and was actually re-named in 1993? :whatever:

Excuses, excuses... :whatever:

Fine I'll allow you to believe whatever you want, fact is I know the truth- that INFLATION does matter and does show where these franchises ACTUALLY stand. I have statistics you just have hypotheticals. Oh and btw, there's a government program that was named 'Star Wars' after the SW franchise let's see Potter get something along similar lines as well- shall we? LMAOL.

Is this another Potter/Star Wars fight?

The Potter movies will never rival the impact of the Star Wars movies.

At the same time, the Potter books, have had as much impact on this generation as Star Wars did on its (arguablly more if you look at it on a world-wide scale)

Don't cry, Matt, but I am going to disagree with you.

At the same time, the Potter books, have had as much impact on this generation as Star Wars did on its (arguablly more if you look at it on a world-wide scale)

Hardly. There is nothing that comes close to the impact Star Wars had. Potter isn't even anywhere near it although it has had a large impact. Just merchandising alone for Star Wars is evidence of that.

One could argue that creating a whole new generation of readers in the midst of an illiterate society is FAR more of an impact that anything Star Wars has done.

Harry Potter has toys, books, a massive fan base, main stream popular movies, trading card games, video games, an AMUSEMENT PARK...etc.

Just because its merchandising isn't as expansive is because Rowling actually protects her character unlike George Lucas who mercilessly ****es it out to anything that will market it. But do not underestimate the impact of the books.

Harry Potter has toys, books, a massive fan base, main stream popular movies, trading card games, video games, an AMUSEMENT PARK...etc.

A government space missile program was named after Star Wars. Star Wars characters occupy AFI lists. There are Star Wars attractions at Disneyworld. COUNTLESS filmmakers were influenced by Star Wars, and there are equally countless references to Star Wars in other movies.

You don't get that with Harry Potter.

Just because its merchandising isn't as expansive is because Rowling actually protects her character unlike George Lucas who mercilessly ****es it out to anything that will market it. But do not underestimate the impact of the books.

It isn't as expansive because it wouldn't be as successful. The world and characters in Star Wars are much more powerful, memorable, and plain entertaining that Potter.

However, I would say that yes, Harry Potter has influenced a lot more to pick up a book, and that is great. But we're not talking about that, we're talking about cultural significance.

The effects on reading IS a cultural impact.

As for things like AFI lists, government programs. Potter is under 10 years old. Keep in mind, Star Wars didn't pick up mainstream popularity until the early 90s. When originally released, it was seen as a cult, sci-fi geek type fad and seen as that throughout much of the 80s.

And I'm pretty sure a book that sells 11 million copies in one day could handle marketing.

And just for the record, many authors have been influenced by Rowling as well.

It isn't like Harry Potter cured illiteracy lol. People picked up and read the books to read about Harry Potter, not so that they could get smarter or learn anything. You're reading (no pun intended) waaaaay too much into it and giving Harry Potter waaaaaay too much credit.

Keep in mind, Star Wars didn't pick up mainstream popularity until the early 90s. When originally released, it was seen as a cult, sci-fi geek type fad and seen as that throughout much of the 80s.

That's just plain wrong. No way around that at all, dude. The movies were breaking box office records...they were making hundreds of millions BACK THEN. Anybody and everybody could name the characters, the lines, even the space ships. Merchandise was huge back then as it is now.

Make no mistake, is was ANYTHING but a "cult" fad. You're way off the mark there.

It's completely inaccurate and unfair to make that comparison now. Star Wars is 30 years old. The Harry Potter book series ended 2 months ago, and there are still 2 movies in production.

The filmmakers today who said they were inspired by Star Wars were kids or film students when they saw SW for the first time. They had 30 years to create their careers from it. Who know what these kids who grew up on Harry Potter will create in the next 20 years...for them, this is their Star Wars. If it means more books on a scale of the Potter series, I am looking forward to it.

The Disney ride comparison is ridiculous...Disney has 2 dated Star Wars rides and a few weekends a year. (and don't get me wrong, I love Star Tours) They were originally in line to get the Harry Potter park too, before the deal fell through and Universal picked it up.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan...I saw all 3 of the OT in their original release. But I love the Potter series too, I believe it's this generation's Star Wars, and that's a great thing to have. Just because it has a 20-year head start in the impact department doesn't discount Potter at all.

^ I think you missed the point or need to read my post again. Matt said that HP has the same cultural impact today as SW did during its day, which IMO is untrue.

And who compared rides? I simply stated that Disney has a Star Wars ride, and moreover has had one for a long time despite the fact that Fox and Disney are rival studios.

If Lucas wanted to create a Star Wars themed amusement park, he could EASILY do it. And it could have a lot more potential than a HP themed park.

It's pretty simple. HP appeals mostly to young children up into the teens, while SW appealed to ALL age groups. That's why the comparison is silly and pointless.

I did read your post...you're just getting more and more off the mark with all of the points you're trying to make. Harry Potter is so much bigger than what you're dismissing it as.

I was a Star Wars fan from the very beginning, and I remember how crazy it was back then. When we were waiting on line to see the latest Harry Potter film, my sister and I started comparing it to when our mom took us to see Return of the Jedi on opening day because the level of excitement was just as high, as was the line. We saw these spastic kids in talking about Harry Potter the same way me and my friends how Darth Vader could possibly be Luke's father when we were their age.

Harry Potter appeals to all ages too. I saw plenty of adults when I was at the midnight party for the last book. On that line before the last movie, there were college professors standing behind us discussing Book 7 theories. The NY Times was forced to create a children's best-seller list because publishers complained that the Potter books were taking up so many places for so long on the regular adult best-seller list.

As far as Disney, Lucas owns Star Wars, he was the one who allowed the ride to be built, it wasn't exclusively a Fox thing. He grew up a lifelong Disneyland fan, the ride was a perfect fit. I've read about one of the Potter rides that's coming, and it's going to be pretty cool.

Having read all 7 books, and knowing how bloody epic the 7th film has the potential to be, we still don't know exactly what the lasting impact will be. It hasn't had time to catch up to Star Wars yet, but it's well on its way.

I did read your post...you're just getting more and more off the mark with all of the points you're trying to make. Harry Potter is so much bigger than what you're dismissing it as.

I was a Star Wars fan from the very beginning, and I remember how crazy it was back then. When we were waiting on line to see the latest Harry Potter film, my sister and I started comparing it to when our mom took us to see Return of the Jedi on opening day because the level of excitement was just as high, as was the line. We saw these spastic kids in talking about Harry Potter the same way me and my friends how Darth Vader could possibly be Luke's father when we were their age.

Harry Potter appeals to all ages too. I saw plenty of adults when I was at the midnight party for the last book. On that line before the last movie, there were college professors standing behind us discussing Book 7 theories. The NY Times was forced to create a children's best-seller list because publishers complained that the Potter books were taking up so many places for so long on the regular adult best-seller list.

As far as Disney, Lucas owns Star Wars, he was the one who allowed the ride to be built, it wasn't exclusively a Fox thing. He grew up a lifelong Disneyland fan, the ride was a perfect fit. I've read about one of the Potter rides that's coming, and it's going to be pretty cool.

Having read all 7 books, and knowing how bloody epic the 7th film has the potential to be, we still don't know exactly what the lasting impact will be. It hasn't had time to catch up to Star Wars yet, but it's well on its way.

Movie 7 will break a billion. Mark my words... Star Wars got bigger and bigger with time...and mark my words again, Harry Potter WILL Surpass Star Wars.

No apparently you did not. I am not dismissing Harry Potter. And I am not undercutting it in any way. When comparing the cultural impact of SW and HP IN THEIR OWN TIMES, SW had a much greater impact. And in the long run, I don't think HP will ever surpass that.

And I would love for you to explain how exactly I am venturing off the mark. I am citing examples of the cultural significance of Star Wars and nothing at all off topic to this subject.

I am not sure what your point is. MY point was that a non-Disney owned property was given plenty of very valuable floor space for its exhibition.

That's why I said "mostly appeals". It can draw all age groups, but to deny the fact that kids and teens make up the majority of interest in HP is an exercise in very limited thinking.

It appears you're grasping for straws just for the sake of doing so. Go jump on some of Matt's statements where he dismissed SW as nothing more than a geek fad.

Movie 7 will break a billion. Mark my words... Star Wars got bigger and bigger with time...and mark my words again, Harry Potter WILL Surpass Star Wars.

Hasn't it already? I mean, it did surpass the James Bond franchise.

I love Star Wars, but the reason it's still around, why it's still such a cultural phenomenon is because Lucas himself brought it back to life. Star Wars was huge in the 70s and early 80s. If George Lucas had not created the PT, Star Wars wouldn't be nearly as famous nor as recognized as it is now. The PT gave Star Wars that boost and for that, it shall forever remain ingrained in the public's perception.

Star Wars is talked about as much as it is today because of the PT, it was that reminder of the previous films. It would be the equivalent of JK Rowling making a new set of HP books 20 years from now.

No apparently you did not. I am not dismissing Harry Potter. And I am not undercutting it in any way. When comparing the cultural impact of SW and HP IN THEIR OWN TIMES, SW had a much greater impact. And in the long run, I don't think HP will ever surpass that.

And having been around IN BOTH TIMES and as a fan of both, I can say the impact on the culture was the same. What I remember from back then is what I'm seeing now. What will come, we'll have to wait and see...but Harry isn't fading away anytime soon.

Harry Potter, in it's own right has already had a huge impact on our culture. Book 7 was selling 5000 copies a minute in it's first hours of release. The previous 6 books have sold over 325 million copies and have been translated into 65 languages. The movies have just surpassed James Bond as the highest-ever grossing franchise, and there are still 2 more to go. Look at the news articles from when that last book came out...people were camped out in front of book stores all over the world. When in history has anyone waited at bookstore for hours for a 759-page book in the middle of the summer before there was Harry Potter??

It's huge. And definitely as big as Star Wars was in it's time.

Not saying it's better, nor am I trying to knock down Star Wars. But Harry Potter is significant in our culture, and at this point it's on a par with everything Star Wars did in it's time. There's absolutely no disputing it. It's here to stay.

And I would love for you to explain how exactly I am venturing off the mark. I am citing examples of the cultural significance of Star Wars and nothing at all off topic to this subject.

You're going off the mark when you try to take down Harry Potter as not having the same impact as Star Wars. Have you even read it??

I am not sure what your point is. MY point was that a non-Disney owned property was given plenty of very valuable floor space for its exhibition.

Who cares? Disney has given "valuble floor space" for rides based on The Twilight Zone, Aerosmith, and a least a half-dozen non-Disney films featured on the Great Movie Ride. And they were the first bidders on the Harry Potter park.

That's why I said "mostly appeals". It can draw all age groups, but to deny the fact that kids and teens make up the majority of interest in HP is an exercise in very limited thinking.

The same could be said for Star Wars.

It appears you're grasping for straws just for the sake of doing so. Go jump on some of Matt's statements where he dismissed SW as nothing more than a geek fad.

Oh please. You're just making it clearer and clearer that you don't understand a thing about Harry Potter.

I stood out at my Borders in the mall waiting for DH to be released at midnight, I was there for about 3 hours and there was probably close to 900-1000 people there. The entire street was flooded. I spoke to one guy who was there, he said he'd been doing this(waiting for the midnight release of the HP books) for the past 3-4 books. He said he used to live in Florida and the line was so long, that once midnight had struck and the copies started to sell, he still had a few hours wait and didn't get to purchase a copy until 4 in the morning.

This was the last book so I just decided to wait just for the hell of it. And it was a lotta fun. Everyone standing around discussing last minute speculations, tons of people dressed up for costume contests, etc. An old guy dressed like Dumbledore won lol.

DH was the only one I went to the midnight party at B&N for, and it was great. They had so many people that the fire department was there limiting how many people could actually be inside the store. The costumes were great--one little boy was dressed as Dobby. One woman brought her baby and she'd drawn a little lightning scar on his forehead. :oldrazz:

And when it was almost midnight, everyone counted down the last 10 seconds like it was New Year's Eve. That was fun.

Right now, Star Wars is still more of a cultural pheonemon than Harry Potter...but you have to realize how much longer Star Wars has been around and how much media outlets it has hit over those 3 decades. IMO, the Harry Potter series would candidly beat the Star Wars series in terms of movies, publications, fans, etc... I can't remember the last time this many people got in line to read a book let alone a movie.

Hasn't it already? I mean, it did surpass the James Bond franchise.

Yep, it passed Star Wars. Star Wars had a bigger impact though. On the DVD, I like the 17 min of extra footage and a "sneak peek" at HBP. Wonder what that is. Maybe a teaser for a teaser trailer :wow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"