Wizard World Philly

TheCorpulent1 said:
It's funny, JR Jr.'s basically an average-speed penciler for his era. He was cranking out Spider-Man and Thor comics simultaneously for a while, but it got to be too much for him so he dropped one while other artists from his day could pencil 2 or 3 monthlies at the same time consistently with only the odd fill-in now and then. But now he's considered one of the most efficient artists in the business because he's working alongside Marvel's new crop of artists, almost all of whom are horribly slow. :o
I actually thought he dropped Thor because he planned to draw both Spider-Man books, but ended sticking to Amazing because an all new creative team was decided for the other Spidey book.

Ive heard JRJR say in interview that he can do two books a month, solid, so Id say he was pretty efficient even back in the day.

euroq said:
I'm pretty sure they're just on the cover.
Maybe you're right, but no other villains seem to be implied on the cover, and it seems wierd that Weiringo would pick only two villains for the cover.

CantThinkOfAName said:
I actually thought he dropped Thor because he planned to draw both Spider-Man books, but ended sticking to Amazing because an all new creative team was decided for the other Spidey book.

The only thing better than JR Jr drawing a monthly Spider-Man book would be JR Jr drawing two monthly Spidey books. :up: ;)

euroq said:
The only thing better than JR Jr drawing a monthly Spider-Man book would be JR Jr drawing two monthly Spidey books. :up: ;)
Hehe. I dont know, at the time, I thought it was kind of a bad idea for both books to have the same artist. And don't get me wrong, I loved JRJR probably even more than i do now at the time, but i enjoy me the diversity:up:

But then again, he'd have replaced Byrne, so I don;t think Id really mind:)

Okay, I'd settle for him returning to ASM and some other interesting book. :( :) Right now, he's being wasted on two comics I have no desire to read. :(

euroq said:
Okay, I'd settle for him returning to ASM and some other interesting book. :( :) Right now, he's being wasted on two comics I have no desire to read. :(
I know he's doing Black Panther, what's the other book?:confused:

But yeah, he's been with Marvel longer than like anyone, they should give him the big projects:up:

Oh man, Brubaker and JRJR on Daredevil, now that's something I'd prematurely wet my pants to:up:

CantThinkOfAName said:
I know he's doing Black Panther, what's the other book?:confused:

Wolverine with Mark Millar. After that he's going to do a Sentry mini with Paul Jenkins (of which I'm mildly curious about).

CantThinkOfAName said:
Oh man, Brubaker and JRJR on Daredevil, now that's something I'd prematurely wet my pants to:up:

That would be nice.. My own guess for the next creative team is Brubaker and Lark.

euroq said:
Wolverine with Mark Millar. After that he's going to do a Sentry mini with Paul Jenkins (of which I'm mildly curious about).

That would be nice.. My own guess for the next creative team is Brubaker and Lark.
I can't believe I forgot Wolverine. Hell, Im even reading that:(

Ill also pick up that Sentry one, although its too bad its not Jae Lee doing the work there:(

I don't know about Lark. I mean, I love his work and all, but I think its just too similar to Maleev's. That really seems to me why everyone wants Lark on Daredevil. Still, I hope Lark gets some other kickass projects:up:

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35310

FROM THE DOM POV: BRUBAKER ON THE BOOK OF DOOM

Announced as being on the schedule at this past weekend’s Cup ‘o Joe panel at WizardWorld: Philadelphia, Ed Brubaker’s The Book of Doom promises, according to the writer, a look inside Doom like none before.

First off, if you’re a Brubaker watcher, yes, you have heard about this project before – it was one of the first things mentioned when the writer began working for Marvel after ending his exclusive relationship with DC.

“Doom came a while back, like late last summer,” Brubaker told Newsarama. “[Editor] Tom Brevoort called me up and said, ‘How'd you like to do the life story of Von Doom?’ He said that Marvel wanted to do something different, to make it like a sweeping Russian epic or something, a giant tragedy about one of the coolest characters of all time, and I said, I don't have time for this now, but do not give this to anyone else.”

As Brubaker said, the story of the six-issue miniseries will be the life story of Victor Von Doom, starting appropriately enough, just prior to his birth, with issue #6 wrapping just before he takes the throne of Latveria. “Each chapter covers a different period in his life, told mostly through his own words,” Brubaker said. “So, we'll see his time in college with Reed and Ben, and his formative years when the Fantastic Four first appear. This is a real world from Doom's point of view story, though, and he's the sympathetic lead, well…as much as he can be.”

While Brubaker knows that a lot has been written about Doom in his 60+ years, The Book of Doom isn’t about re-writing continuity, or juggling things to make every divergent story somehow fit. “I took all the research about Doom's life before the armor we could find, and studied it all, all about his mother delving into the black arts and conjuring demons, all the stories we all know so well, and I just built a big narrative around it all. So, this is sort of like the, ‘If you've never read Doom's life story this is all you need to know’ book. It's very new reader friendly, but there's a lot of new stuff in here, as well, and I do think I've found an angle that no one else has really explored in much depth, yet. I won't reveal what it is, but it really excited me when I realized it had never been touched on - this huge part of the tragedy of Victor's formative years that shaped him and made him what he would become. It was so obvious, too, that it just leapt out at me.”

And given that the story is told from Doom’s point of view, he’s not evil, really, Brubaker said. “He's just the smartest and most arrogant person in the world, a man who the world has tried to break since his birth, but who has never given in, but he’s not evil,” Brubaker said. “He feels he's got a destiny, and it's something that drives him, and makes him more important than other people. Like I said, I'm writing this as if it's this giant twisted tragedy, so you watch him going from an innocent kid to the ultimate tyrant. It's a lot of fun, and deeper than most people would expect from something like this, I think. It's a mental journey, and I'm trying to give it the weight of a novel or something like Citizen Kane. Not that it'll be as good as Citizen Kane, but why not swing for the fences, right?”

That said, Brubaker has assembled a key list of inspirations to pull from on The Book of Doom - along with Orson Welles: “Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Chekhov, Shakespeare, pretty much in that order.”

The Book of Doom is illustrated by Pablo (Madrox) Raimondi and Mark Farmer, and is slated for an October release.

Book of Doom sounds great. I wonder if we'll get a little more about his romance with Valeria from a different perspective...

Apparently Dan Jurgens will be drawing the Hyperion mini.

http://www.buzzscope.com/features.php?id=997
I got to hear Dan talking to fans about subjects like his short stint in Spider-man, where he said he’d actually like to get back to the character someday. See, when he was on the title, it was revealed that he was in fact writing the stories of the “dreaded” Ben Reilly. Dan considers himself still never having told a true Spider-man story.

He also has a few projects on the way from Marvel, some of which are: a Supreme Power project that teams him with J. Michael Straczynski and Klaus Jansen & a “How To Draw The Marvel Way”-type book that would feature him giving instructions on art technique.

Weird. Not the kind of artist I would've expected on a Supreme Power project. Jurgens has always been kind of hit-or-miss for me, but usually he's pretty solid.

Hey, has anyone seen links to the Costume contest from Wizard Con 2006 Philly? I was there, and my camera died. Any picts of the convention would be cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"