WW Philly News

TheCorpulent1 said:
Presumably that's because the FF are the family archetype. They're the answer to the question, "What if an American family became superheroes?" Peter was the answer to, "What if the average slob became a superhero?" and I've heard it said that a supermodel wife doesn't really lend itself to empathy from the average slob. I call bull****, however, since MJ hasn't been a model for a while, she's just been a devoted, loving wife that Peter occasionally has some rocky patches with more than anything else, which any average slob who grows up a bit (like Peter's done over the years) can empathize with just fine.

Yeah, it pisses me off how Joey Q says there are stories you cant tell with a married Peter. Like what? Making him a man ****e? Its a natural progression for him, he fell in love, they get married. I dont nkow whats so bad about this. And considering he says its because kids cant relate to a married Spider-Man, I call bull****, since most of the fanbase are adolescents on up. Little kids dont read comics anymore. The faster they learn that the better.

Even then, I don't see what a single Spider-Man would entice kids more with. It's not like the average kid can relate to Peter's relationship troubles. :confused:

TheCorpulent1 said:
I'm really dreading MJ's future prospects at this point. Seems like every interview these days we get a comment about how Peter's marriage was a mistake, Peter would have more storytelling potential single, blah, blah, romantic subplots, blah, blah, stifling the character's growth, blah, blah, bliggity blah. Basically just every way of saying, "We don't get how to make Peter compelling with a wife, so we're gonna get rid of her and make things easier on ourselves." :o

And don't forget. With the heavy rumors that MJ is going to die in the Spidey 3 movie and the appearance of Gwen Stacy in the movie...well, the outlook of Mary jane in the comics is NOT good.

However, I'd be pleased. I'm more of a fan of a single Peter Parker and wouldn't mind seeing things go back to that.

SpideyInATree said:
And don't forget. With the heavy rumors that MJ is going to die in the Spidey 3 movie and the appearance of Gwen Stacy in the movie...well, the outlook of Mary jane in the comics is NOT good.

However, I'd be pleased. I'm more of a fan of a single Peter Parker and wouldn't mind seeing things go back to that.

I wouldn't mind MJ dying, although it's not something I would be anxious to do.

deemar325 said:
I wouldn't mind MJ dying, although it's not something I would be anxious to do.

In the movie? Yes. In the comics? No.

I wouldn't mind savoring a gory, on-screen death for Kirsten Dunst. ;) I like MJ in the comics, though. It's not the fault of the characters that none of their writers are doing anything with them. There's as much story potential for a married couple as there is for a single guy, in my opinion.

TheCorpulent1 said:
I wouldn't mind savoring a gory, on-screen death for Kirsten Dunst. ;) I like MJ in the comics, though. It's not the fault of the characters that none of their writers are doing anything with them. There's as much story potential for a married couple as there is for a single guy, in my opinion.

You know what pisses me off more, the writers who have no backbone. You have Joey Q saying all this garbage and then Bendis and JMS acting as yes men. Jeph Loeb is the only who said that he had no problem with him being married, but really didnt do much to defend his point of viw. im guessing Loeb wouldnt care since he has a **** load of money anyway.:up:

Honestly, I want to see MJ get written out of the comics. Be it death, divorce, etc. I have two main reasons. The first one is the main one.

1. Ever since I've been reading the comics Peter Parker has been married to Mary Jane. I started seriously reading Spidey comics at the age of 12, around the time of Maximum Carnage. I'll tell you what. As a serious reader MJ was the single most annoying character in the book. "Peter, stay in and don't go out and be Spider-Man, PLEASE!" THEN WHY DID YOU MARRY HIM!!!!!! :eek: He told you, I'm Spider-Man. What did you miss about THAT memo? Then she got so worried about him that she began smoking. Honestly, this was the most interesting thing I've seen them do with the character. Thanks to J.M. DeMatteis. But she was always so stale and just pining for Peter to NOT be Spider-Man anymore.

It wasn't until the Essential volumes that I got to see the early MJ. And, to be honest, reading those old stories Peter seemed to always have a dislike for MJ. And when Gwen died MJ was really the only one there for him through it. So, I understand the development of the relationship but I don't understand a marriage spawning out of it.

I've always wanted to see Pete become single again for the longest time, I may get it.

Number 2 reason... I just want to see the Spider-Man comics forum explode. It's sometimes great entertainment. :O

Darthphere said:
You know what pisses me off more, the writers who have no backbone. You have Joey Q saying all this garbage and then Bendis and JMS acting as yes men. Jeph Loeb is the only who said that he had no problem with him being married, but really didnt do much to defend his point of viw. im guessing Loeb wouldnt care since he has a **** load of money anyway.:up:

That's Marvel.

TheCorpulent1 said:

I'm pretty annoyed with the whole 'love story' angle with the movies in general. Plus Tobey is really boring as Spider-man, guy can't crack a joke or quip to save his life.

I'm tired of ***** whipped Peter/Spidey, I want to see a Spidey who's as funny as he is heroic.

SpideyInATree said:
1. Ever since I've been reading the comics Peter Parker has been married to Mary Jane. I started seriously reading Spidey comics at the age of 12, around the time of Maximum Carnage. I'll tell you what. As a serious reader MJ was the single most annoying character in the book. "Peter, stay in and don't go out and be Spider-Man, PLEASE!" THEN WHY DID YOU MARRY HIM!!!!!! :eek: He told you, I'm Spider-Man. What did you miss about THAT memo? Then she got so worried about him that she began smoking. Honestly, this was the most interesting thing I've seen them do with the character. Thanks to J.M. DeMatteis. But she was always so stale and just pining for Peter to NOT be Spider-Man anymore.
That hasn't been an issue since the time she left Peter for a while. She's accepted he's Spider-Man now and lives with it. I've liked the subtle way that she's come to lean on May a bit, since they now share Peter's secret. But still, I don't see anything wrong with that scenario. I was only reading the comics sporadically at that point, so the execution may have been botched, but that dynamic is basically just a superhero extension of the things every cop or firefighter or outspoken senator's wife goes through. Like it or not, it does take a toll on a relationship. Not focusing on that for a time would've made their marriage fall apart under any scrutiny and fail to ring true.

I'd rather Peter be single, screw marriage.

I'll take a widowed Spidey over a ball and chained Spidey.

Great news about Blade and Son Of Satan!

I was just reading the latest Wizard Magazine and the article about the new Blade tv series and thinking "why cant Marvel get a halfway decent Blade comic off the ground?"...

With any luck this new volume will be all we are hoping for.

We have Blade and Ghost Rider, and isnt there a new Dr. Strange book on the horizon? (remember the sketches where he looked like Vincent Price?)...

Now all we need is a good Tomb Of Dracula revival, Werewolf By Night, and Man-Thing series, and Marvel's dark side is set.

Hey! That could be the name of the new imprint; "Marvel Darkside".

You like?

The thing that got me is that Blade will be in continuity and more superhero than horror comic.

Darthphere said:
Yeah, it pisses me off how Joey Q says there are stories you cant tell with a married Peter. Like what? Making him a man ****e? Its a natural progression for him, he fell in love, they get married. I dont nkow whats so bad about this. And considering he says its because kids cant relate to a married Spider-Man, I call bull****, since most of the fanbase are adolescents on up. Little kids dont read comics anymore. The faster they learn that the better.

You know, even when i was a little kid (many moons ago, lol), i was often puzzled over the fact that Superman and Lois were NOT married....same with Batman and Batgirl....

So im not getting the whole "kids cant relate to a married Spider-Man" thing either.

deemar325 said:
The thing that got me is that Blade will be in continuity and more superhero than horror comic.

They got to though. If all he does is hunt vamps, it might get old really quick.

TheCorpulent1 said:
That hasn't been an issue since the time she left Peter for a while. She's accepted he's Spider-Man now and lives with it. I've liked the subtle way that she's come to lean on May a bit, since they now share Peter's secret. But still, I don't see anything wrong with that scenario. I was only reading the comics sporadically at that point, so the execution may have been botched, but that dynamic is basically just a superhero extension of the things every cop or firefighter or outspoken senator's wife goes through. Like it or not, it does take a toll on a relationship. Not focusing on that for a time would've made their marriage fall apart under any scrutiny and fail to ring true.

Well, when I jumped back on the books in 2002...I noticed things were different with MJ. JMS, one of the two writers who can write MJ well, showed me it's a good marriage. I only started enjoying the marriage recently and it was nice to see a Mary Jane who supports her husband instead of trying to keep him from saving the f'n world.

But if they kill her, no skin off my back. I've been yearning for a single Peter Parker since I was 12...so, lets do it.

I'm all for the more superhero Blade, I really enjoyed Blade's interaction with Cage and Blackpanther it got me pumped for more interaction with Blade.

SpideyInATree said:
Well, when I jumped back on the books in 2002...I noticed things were different with MJ. JMS, one of the two writers who can write MJ well, showed me it's a good marriage. I only started enjoying the marriage recently and it was nice to see a Mary Jane who supports her husband instead of trying to keep him from saving the f'n world.

But if they kill her, no skin off my back. I've been yearning for a single Peter Parker since I was 12...so, lets do it.

:up:

Ditto!

TheCorpulent1 said:
I call bull****, however, since MJ hasn't been a model for a while, she's just been a devoted, loving wife that Peter occasionally has some rocky patches with more than anything else, which any average slob who grows up a bit (like Peter's done over the years) can empathize with just fine.

That's disingenuous. They may not concentrate on what her career happens to be, but at the beginning of JMS' run almost 6 years ago, she went out to Hollywood. To be a movie star. When she came back, she started being a broadway star (or off-broadway, I forget). But still famous enough that the tabloids care when she's seen going into Avengers Tower.

And I'm sorry, but I think it's perfectly valid to say that that aspect of MJ cancels out Pete's everyman-ness. To me, it just does. That's why I don't mind him being an Avenger. One of the biggest complaints about that is the same thing, that it takes away from his everyman quality. I figure, once they crossed that threshold with the Model/Movie Star/Broadway Star, heck, they may as well go all the way and have him living the life.

iloveclones said:
That's disingenuous. They may not concentrate on what her career happens to be, but at the beginning of JMS' run almost 6 years ago, she went out to Hollywood. To be a movie star. When she came back, she started being a broadway star (or off-broadway, I forget). But still famous enough that the tabloids care when she's seen going into Avengers Tower.

And I'm sorry, but I think it's perfectly valid to say that that aspect of MJ cancels out Pete's everyman-ness. To me, it just does. That's why I don't mind him being an Avenger. One of the biggest complaints about that is the same thing, that it takes away from his everyman quality. I figure, once they crossed that threshold with the Model/Movie Star/Broadway Star, heck, they may as well go all the way and have him living the life.

Yep that's the main reason I think MJ needs to go. K-Fed aside I can't buy the fact a shlub like Peter is with a semi-famous star for a wife.

iloveclones said:

I agree to a point. I don't think MJ really takes away from Peter being an everyman all the time.

I always looked at it like this:

The nerdy everyman guy who couldn't get a date with any girl to save his life in high school bags one of the hottest women in the city, turns out she's a model/actress. I always looked at that as a big "FU" to all the guys who got the girls in high school but became losers once out.

I don't think she does either. i just think it's a little dishonest for people (and I'm not talking about Corpy here by the way) to say on one hand that Pete being in an avenger and living in Avengers Tower takes away from his everyman quality, but being to MJ makes perfect sense in every way. I like how JMS has been writing them (up to a point. The "She's every air molecule I breathe" sililoquies get on my nerve.)

iloveclones said:
I don't think she does either. i just think it's a little dishonest for people (and I'm not talking about Corpy here by the way) to say on one hand that Pete being in an avenger and living in Avengers Tower takes away from his everyman quality, but being to MJ makes perfect sense in every way. I like how JMS has been writing them (up to a point. The "She's every air molecule I breathe" sililoquies get on my nerve.)

Yeah, that's basically what I was agreeing with you about.

Personally, I dislike the "Peter Parker HAS to be an everyman, ALL THE TIME!"

Sometimes everyday ordinary people have exceptionally good things happen to them. Like marrying a supermodel. Like being asked to join one of the greatest superhero teams on Earth. Like Tony Stark giving you a job and a nice place to live...you know...instead of roughing it on a crappy teachers salary and living in a tiny ass apartment. I mean, I guess Peter Parker should go through THAT because people want him to be an "every man".

If you had an offer to live in a nice penthouse suite for free and have a job just GIVEN to you...trust me, most of the people would take it and really enjoy it. But Pete HAS to be an everyman at every moment and second of the day. :O That's just very...bad storytelling if you ask me.

Straight-up!

Spidey is married to a Model/actress!! it totally pulls me out of Peters everyman persona, in noway should Peter Parker be married least of all a celebrity.

If MJ was still a regular person a schoolteacher (drama) a hairdresser something pedestrian I wouldn't mind them being married, but she's freakin' Kirsten Dunst basically in comic form!!!

I can't relate to Spidey anymore period, and that's why I rarely buy any of his books. It's been a good year since I've bought a Spider-man comic and he's my all time favorite character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"