Wobbly Bits...

Can I see the big version? I wanna rip it for my theatre.

wobbly said:
Here's a photo-manip in the manner or the earlier 'Hulk Vs Thing' pic I posted in the thread, using both movies versions of the characters (and yes, these one's do take a looong time to do...:) )

Hulk-Vs-Thing-FLAT.jpg

Forgot to add...The Hulk has been reduced to something closer to his correct size (a 15ft Hulk against a 5ft10" Thing just aint gonna look right :) )

can i just say, holy mother of god! that is awesome.

Trying out something new to me...Sculpting!! (have'nt done anything like this since playing with plasticine when I was a kid).

Anyways, this is a WIP and I'm using 'Super Sculpey' for the first time (which you can mould in much the same way as plasticine, except you can oven bake this solid once done) and as this stuff aint exactly cheap I picked the Thing for my first attempt as I figured anatomical correctness aint gonna be a big issue with this one.

I made the head first then then the wire frame wrapped in tin-foil for the body second:

ThingSculpt1.jpg

ThingSculpt.jpg

And this is as far as I've taken him so far (I'm adding most of the rocky plates over the base body rather than carving them out):

ThingSculpt4.jpg

ThingSculpt3.jpg

ThingSculpt2.jpg

All going well I've got the weight balance right and it should be be free standing (no need for a base) once its finished. Will post up more of this once it's all done and 'baked', and more again when I get round to painting it :)

That's pretty damn cool Wobster. It's really cool that your drawing talent transcribes into sculpting pretty good. lol...It even looks like one of your drawing...talk about having your own style. U gonna paint it too? How much is that stuff?

Can't wait to see some more.

nosebleed said:
That's pretty damn cool Wobster. It's really cool that your drawing talent transcribes into sculpting pretty good. lol...It even looks like one of your drawing...talk about having your own style. U gonna paint it too? How much is that stuff?

Can't wait to see some more.

Cheapest I could find it here in the UK was about £8 (inc p&p) for a 1lb block, and yes I will paint it :)

Here's the statue baked and painted:

Thing-Sculpt-Painted1.jpg

Thing-Sculpt-Painted2.jpg

Thing-Sculpt-Painted3.jpg

Needs some cleaning upo here and there but overall I'm pleased with how it came out :)

Nice job, Wobbly. Getting a sculpture to stand on it's on is a pain in the ass, and yet you did it on your first try. How large is it? Can you photograph it next to something so we have a reference?

Silver S said:
Nice job, Wobbly. Getting a sculpture to stand on it's on is a pain in the ass, and yet you did it on your first try. How large is it? Can you photograph it next to something so we have a reference?

Here you go (it's a little over 6" tall)

ThingSculpt5.jpg

Pretty Cool Wobs! We have ALOT in common, I carve wood and dabble in stuff like that too, but I only have pics of the wood carving's.

Phenomenal work here Wobbly

I Pmed you the other week there if you did any 2000AD work
You told me in your reply that you were too old school

Man you are one of the best artists - and now sculptors here

That thing is very well done

But How about casting it in silicon or foam rubber so you could pose the body?

Superb anyway my man

Gonna check in here more often

Pretty nice sculpture. You should do a sculpture of your entry to this month's Fan Art Contest. That would be sweet!

You'r stuff has gotten even more impressive over the years I've seen your work.

I'd like to add that I had the honor of doing a collaboration with Wobbly on a drawing of mine. He painted it for me through photoshop which came out great.

I decided I didnt like the color on the sculpt (it was too dark and muddy looking) so I stripped the paint off and started again (also added a few more pics here from different angles):

ThingSculptNew2.jpg

ThingSculptNew3.jpg

ThingSculptNew1.jpg

ThingSculptNew4.jpg

ThingSculptNew5.jpg

Also, to protect the acrylic paints I gave it a light glaze with a quick drying water based (and watered down) matt clear varnish (so it should survive the odd bump or two without any chipping) It also gives the rocky look a nice natural looking sheen that my camera doesn't quite pick up right (he looks a little bit shinier in these pics than the real thing does)

MOTEROX said:
if you want critics, im here.

Sorry, didnt see this until today...

Theres no need to ask, go right ahead :)

wobbly said:
I decided I didnt like the color on the sculpt (it was too dark and muddy looking) so I stripped the paint off and started again (also added a few more pics here from different angles):

ThingSculptNew2.jpg

ThingSculptNew3.jpg

ThingSculptNew1.jpg

ThingSculptNew4.jpg

ThingSculptNew5.jpg

Also, to protect the acrylic paints I gave it a light glaze with a quick drying water based (and watered down) matt clear varnish (so it should survive the odd bump or two without any chipping) It also gives the rocky look a nice natural looking sheen that my camera doesn't quite pick up right (he looks a little bit shinier in these pics than the real thing does)

Being a Sculptor myself - Thats a great Sculpt

But using glazes for subjects like the thing I never felt comfotable with as the channels inbetween his "Rockflesh" can make it look too shiny giving it the appearance of baked beans in sauce

I think you pulled it off tho - but that last closeup photo does kinda prove slightly what I'm trying to say

Shiniest thing should be his teeth and eyes in my book - I would just used flat matt color and some drybrushing build up

Great model man - respect:up:

BTW Mark,

You still up for doing sequentials for my Deadeye Samurai Comic?

I need the Introduction Battle and your sequentials Zing

Can you handle a Slaine-esque/ LOTR style battle with Japanese Gods and demons?

I've frightened a few people off with it I think LOL

Let me know soon Please by PM/IM or here

I'll have the finished Intro script soon:up:

But I'm re posting the synopsis for issue one in the first post on my thread

Sorry its taken so long - But i've had to save my marriage ( 2nd)

LOL - its never easy

later

Paul D Knight

Yeah, I see what you mean about the beans effect (lol:)) but trust me, the sheen on the real sculpt is softer so it doesn't have quite that effect..well, not so obvious at any rate (I'm still trying to find a setting on my camera that will take an accurate shot...of the above pics the back shot is the closest to how it really looks).

Also, what exactly is drybrushing? (I'm a newbie to sculpting stuff so please excuse my ignorance).

As for the Deadeye Samurai comic, I have looked at your thread so I have an idea of what you after and I think I can handle that kinda stuff so pm me the details for the scene/pages you have in mind and we can take it from there (though if you mean by 'Slaine-esque' that you are after Bisley class work that's way outta my league I'm afraid :) )

thats some fantastice stuff, even more amazing given its a first attempt!!

wobbly said:
Yeah, I see what you mean about the beans effect (lol:)) but trust me, the sheen on the real sculpt is softer so it doesn't have quite that effect..well, not so obvious at any rate (I'm still trying to find a setting on my camera that will take an accurate shot...of the above pics the back shot is the closest to how it really looks).

Also, what exactly is drybrushing? (I'm a newbie to sculpting stuff so please excuse my ignorance).

As for the Deadeye Samurai comic, I have looked at your thread so I have an idea of what you after and I think I can handle that kinda stuff so pm me the details for the scene/pages you have in mind and we can take it from there (though if you mean by 'Slaine-esque' that you are after Bisley class work that's way outta my league I'm afraid :) )

NO no no - Lol - Mark I like your style man

I dont want you to draw like Bisley

By slaine - esque - I was referring to the giant battle scenes that happen in the comic
Note I also used LOTR - Lord Of The Rings too as reference of the kinda epic battle scene I'm looking for

Drybrushing?

Well I used to make Miniature figures and scale dragons and suchlike and how I painted them One of the techniques was by dry brushing

Basically its a painting technique where you put some minimal paint so its practically "dry" on your brush and paint it loosely over the model

If done right it picks out the raised parts of the figure detail - you can repeatedly go over a figure with this method using different gradients and build up different areas of tone around raised parts giving it a more 3D effect

For channels between the raised parts

I used colored ink after i primed and base colored it

Hope this helps you out buddy

Here's another Sculpt I've just finished:

HulkSculpt1.jpg

HulkSculpt2.jpg

HulkSculpt3.jpg

This one is a bit bigger than the other and stands about 8" or so tall.

Pretty cool Wobbly! love your work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"