• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

But it's a HBO Max exclusive, tho... dunno if that's gonna help or hurt...
full

But it's a HBO Max exclusive, tho... dunno if that's gonna help or hurt...
full
One of the things this leaves me wondering the most is how bad are their subscription numbers? If this was just about getting as much money out of it as possible, you'd think they'd strike deals for other territories. But reportedly they have no interest. Just whatever it scrapes together in theaters and an HBO Max subscriber boost for a month.

Bad
ATT has given free HBO Max subscriptions to over 26 million Unlimited Data and HBO cable subscribers. They only have about 9 million active accounts.
We won't know until the end of January how many of those Firestick subs switched over and how many new subscribers through Amazon to HBO Max. On paper they had almost 5M on Amazon.

All I can say is wow. I expected it to move to next summer. Will definitely see it in theaters if I can, tho the rona is raging where I am now and too many idiots are all “muh fredomz” about masking up, so my hopes are low. HBO Max definitely gets 1 new subscriber tho.

I might just wait until Zack Snyder's cut is out--to use up that free trial and catch both movies over the weekend and see what else it has that can appeal to my girls and wife.

Lol, I still can't justify spending money on HBOMax even with the new WW84. ATT will need to market the crap out of that movie and hype the right type of people--on that front. Or open accessibility to that movie just a tad bit more.

The reality is theres no good options here people. Its a crappy situation. Its not WB’s fault this pandemic is raging on like it is. They cant keep punting this expensive movie down the field a whole other year. They need to start making something off of it, and im sure theres all sorts of merchandise and licensing deals in place that are waiting to be launched too.
This whole situation reminds me of a line from Argo where the CIA guys are brainstorming ideas on how they could free the hostages in Iran then Ben Affleck’s character says, “there are only bad options. Its about finding the best one.”

This may be the best bad idea that they have.

Here's a breakdown:
  • International on 12/16 (theatrical only)
  • U.S. on 12/25
  • First 30 days: Theatrical (Theaters get 55-60%) + HBO MAX
  • Day 31-60: Theatrical only
  • Day 61+: PVOD

So will we ever find out why this was moved to 2020 in the first place? All that "better release date" stuff reeks of PR fluff

So will we ever find out why this was moved to 2020 in the first place? All that "better release date" stuff reeks of PR fluff

Was moved from Dec 2019 to Nov 2019 to get away from Star Wars. Moved from Nov 2019 for two reasons.
1) To give JOKER more breathing room
2) This movie belongs in the summer. Can't fault them for not being able to predict a damn pandemic in 2020.

Here's a breakdown:
  • International on 12/16 (theatrical only)
  • U.S. on 12/25
  • First 30 days: Theatrical (Theaters get 55-60%) + HBO MAX
  • Day 31-60: Theatrical only
  • Day 61+: PVOD

I admit, I dont....see where the benefit is of dropping it on HBO Max for "free" for one month comes from WB's perspective. People will sign up and then drop it in month 2. I guess the idea is just to lure people to the app and hopefully it'll be like, "Come for the Wonder Woman and stay for the rest."

Was moved from Dec 2019 to Nov 2019 to get away from Star Wars. Moved from Nov 2019 for two reasons.
1) To give JOKER more breathing room
2) This movie belongs in the summer. Can't fault them for not being able to predict a damn pandemic in 2020.

It's one of those calculated moves that unfortunately didn't pay off. There was always an amount of risk involved, regardless. Telle est la vie

Awful awful news. :cmad:

Europe is on its second phase, US hasn't even got out of its first and is only increasing. Only hope is Asia, but should they really pin almost all hope of international bo numbers here? Most of all, HBO Max isn't even available internationally. Tenet did make 300m, and WW is a franchise movie. Take that if you will. :O

I admit, I dont....see where the benefit is of dropping it on HBO Max for "free" for one month comes from WB's perspective.

They are idiots. By the way, it was the higher-ups at WarnerMedia that were pushing for this to be released on the streaming service not the higher-ups at WB.

The reality is theres no good options here people. Its a crappy situation. Its not WB’s fault this pandemic is raging on like it is. They cant keep punting this expensive movie down the field a whole other year. They need to start making something off of it, and im sure theres all sorts of merchandise and licensing deals in place that are waiting to be launched too.

Bingo. Dont blame WB...

(I wont say who to blame but if you want the politics of this are easy to figure out)

I would assume they are only having it on Max for a month as a concession to the theaters. Remember how they all threw a fit over Trolls World Tour? Not sure it makes sense from any perspective other than that. (and that is weak sauce anyways)

A plan created by nutcases at an insane asylum.

Yeah, it's a mess but I can see what they're going for. They want to get subscribers for HBO Max but also keep theaters happy. And they want the digital copy money as well. But for the consumer this will just cause a lot of confusion.

I would assume they are only having it on Max for a month as a concession to the theaters. Remember how they all threw a fit over Trolls World Tour? Not sure it makes sense from any perspective other than that. (and that is weak sauce anyways)

But theaters really have no leverage at this point. Would any of them go "nah, we're not playing it"?

Sucks WB had to resort to this but I really hope for the cast & crew involved that this movie is a hit for HBO Max and will not affect future movies

I, for one, am glad to be a HBO Max subscriber so I will be watching day one

Yeah, it's a mess but I can see what they're going for. They want to get subscribers for HBO Max but also keep theaters happy. And they want the digital copy money as well. But for the consumer this will just cause a lot of confusion.

It will make life easier for some but will annoy the hell out of some as well. My girlfriend is pumped cause she wants nothing to do with theaters and I have HBO Max. My friends are pumped as well because they have kids and dont want to risk the Rona.

If things arent on fire here for Christmas I will see it in the theaters AND watch it on Max.

I hope they announce some other platforms for non US residents.
We don’t have HBO Max, but we do have another streaming service that has an HBO add on, so I’m hoping it gets put on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"