• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Do you all who hate the idea of this being released on Christmas understand this is all about HBO Max. This is big for the streaming channel and will put it on the map. Plus if you are a fan of Snyder’s Justice League this will help build the anticipation up another notch. The reality is with Covid-19 the movie industry is going to struggle for the next few years. Personally this is a much needed Christmas present that I will be able to wake up with my family Christmas morning and watch Patty and Gal do their thing.

I think the people “upset” about it are more worried about the long term ramifications aka Wonder Woman 3. If this loses lots of money for WB then a sequel may be up in the air....or maybe they wont hold covid against Patti Jenkins and co. and still move forward with it as long as WW84 is received well.

I don’t get the release strategy though. Free for the first month then charge after? So many will just cancel afterwards

I don’t get the release strategy though. Free for the first month then charge after? So many will just cancel afterwards

People are going to hit and run regardless.

It happens with every popular series or movie.

Yeah at some point they have to place faith in the app’s actual content to persuade people to keep the service.

Was moved from Dec 2019 to Nov 2019 to get away from Star Wars. Moved from Nov 2019 for two reasons.
1) To give JOKER more breathing room
2) This movie belongs in the summer. Can't fault them for not being able to predict a damn pandemic in 2020.
What ? I thought World Health Organization (WHO) did a good job of warning everyone about COVID-19 pandemic back in 2019. :o

I think the people “upset” about it are more worried about the long term ramifications aka Wonder Woman 3. If this loses lots of money for WB then a sequel may be up in the air....or maybe they wont hold covid against Patti Jenkins and co. and still move forward with it as long as WW84 is received well.

If they have made this decision then they are willing to take the hit and go with it. They arent expecting to make that much money off of it at this point because lord knows when it will be released so now they use it to pump up Max, they get some people to see it in theaters where they can and in 2 years they release WW3 to much fanfare. The loss of money is already factored in or they wouldnt be doing this.

(I am only speaking of the US I have no idea what expectations are worldwide but if they took the hit with Tenet they can take the hit with this as well I doubt AT&T is worried about the bottom line right now)

I admit, I dont....see where the benefit is of dropping it on HBO Max for "free" for one month comes from WB's perspective. People will sign up and then drop it in month 2. I guess the idea is just to lure people to the app and hopefully it'll be like, "Come for the Wonder Woman and stay for the rest."
Yeah, we have a few posts right here in this thread where people are not interested in HBO Max. Some people just don't find HBO Max content interesting, they will see WW84 and sign-off.

Last edited:
Awful awful news. :cmad:

Europe is on its second phase, US hasn't even got out of its first and is only increasing. Only hope is Asia, but should they really pin almost all hope of international bo numbers here? Most of all, HBO Max isn't even available internationally. Tenet did make 300m, and WW is a franchise movie. Take that if you will. :O
Yeah, there were reports that WB was talking to distributors in China about the theatrical release in December, which could be one of the reasons why they are releasing it this year.

Apart from few countries in Asia, maybe WB can benefit from theatrical release in Latin America (where they have Summer season and COVID-19 situation is not as worse as it is in US) That's the only benefit they can get by Dec release as far as I can see.

Last edited:
Welp, looks like I'm going to have to sign up for HBO Max. Wish I could see this in theaters in December, but with how bad covid is here in Cali, I doubt that'll be possible.

Sucks for the cast and crew.

I think in absence of HBO Max, WB would have moved WW84 to 2021, they are releasing this only to get more subscribers for their streaming service, which is sad.

This is my main issue with it

This is Hollywood who have historically treated female heroes like trash so I expect the worst

looks like Warner Bros Japan decided to release WW84 in theaters on December 18.

This is astounding and infuriating on so many levels

1. We don't have HboMaX here. Yet another slap across the face to the audience in Europe
2. This will lose money. No extra subscription fee. Cinemas closed in many places. People where HBO Max isn't available will just find another way and WB won't see a cent
3. So their golden boy Chris Nolan gets a shiny theatrical release but a female director has to bend to their will, huh. Whenever Patt'y's contract ends, if female directors in Hollywood actually had the luxury of being picky about jobs like male directors, she would run away as far as she can from this studio
4. Releasing anything in cinemas rn is insane. The situation is horrific and they are choosing to release this in December. There's plenty of dumb governments that didn't close down cinemas and reckless people who will go therefore making the situation even worse
5. All those delays, all that marketing etc. I feel like I already saw the movie and lost hype for it. We knew in the summer this pandemic won't end in the winter so they might as well have drop it on VOD months ago
6. We are few months away from vaccine getting distributed, in the summer a lot of people will go back to the cinemas and that movie would be like 'oh God I haven't seen a colorful, joyful blockbuster for so long' kind of a big deal and people would have loved it + the movie would have the added bonus of everyone watching it through rose-tinted glasses of not being in the cinema for so long and watching a huge movie like that. But nah. Let's drop a blockbuster on VOD now. When every week a new Oscar contender will be getting released and the only advantage movies like WW have over those is the spectacle factor which is now diminished
9. Watch Disney move Black Widow to Disney+ now. They'll go 'oh if WB is padding their streaming service with their CBM so will we'. This will result in not one but TWO female led, female directed CBMs getting dropped on streaming like second rate movies

What an embarrassing, desperate and awful decision.

Widow isn't going to streaming. Disney+ doesn't need it. It doesn't need any of the Star Wars/Marvel shows tbh right now. They will once the eventual price hike happens

I think the people “upset” about it are more worried about the long term ramifications aka Wonder Woman 3. If this loses lots of money for WB then a sequel may be up in the air....or maybe they wont hold covid against Patty Jenkins and co. and still move forward with it as long as WW84 is received well.

Obviously, there’ll be a big fat asterisk next to WW84 and Tenet that will explain/quality their lower box office numbers. Bottom line: the reputations and future negotiating power of Jenkins and Nolan shouldn’t be affected too much. Likewise, a decision to green light a 3rd Wonder Woman movie probably won’t hinge on how much WW84 made (or lost).

The bit the bullet on TENET because Nolan would have thrown a hissy fit.

No doubt they are biting the bullet on this one becasue the have spent so much on marketing, etc and can't really stop the big wheel from turning (Books, Toys, etc are already out).

They really should be more thoughtful to their international audiences, though. I have a feeling that cinemas will be closed here over Christmas, with talk of even more restrictions to come. They need to give their international fans a safe option as well.

This is incredibly disrespectful towards international audience for sure. Situation here is awful and the cinemas should and hopefully will stay closed. WB is basically saying 'lmao stay home and watch safely in USA and the rest...well roll the dice on your safety'.

The bit the bullet on TENET because Nolan would have thrown a hissy fit.

No doubt they are biting the bullet on this one becasue the have spent so much on marketing, etc and can't really stop the big wheel from turning (Books, Toys, etc are already out).

They really should be more thoughtful to their international audiences, though. I have a feeling that cinemas will be closed here over Christmas, with talk of even more restrictions to come. They need to give their international fans a safe option as well.
That's the thing. WM or WB execs fooled and continue to fool themselves with the Trump koolaid that this virus is going away every month or two they move the release date. Hell, Europe is back as it was on May and June. It's obvious they're hedging their bets on China, but after the Mulan debacle should they really take the chance? Man, this is so ****ing dumb. HBO Max isn't even available on some big US platforms.

Great, I don't have HBO Max and since I'm not in the US I can't even get it on a trial. This is going to be one pirated movie.

I'm in the group that doesn't necessarily like what this is going to do for the WW brand, which was such a surprise overperformer to WB in the first place. I know we'll all no why it might loose money but will the studio accountants care? And does that break the momentum the franchise had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"