Working in "Fast Food"

Karelia

RN4L
Reaction score
I haven't had a job before, and the way it's looking I'm going to be stuck in fast food as a first job. I'm unsure how everything works, like the cash register. Is everything labeled on the register like the combo orders, number orders, what it's called etc. I mean I don't think it'll be that hard, because every time I go into Taco Bell the teenager running the cash register is so high. :hehe: But this is my first job so everything will be new to me. Anyone who has worked at fast food could give me some advice? :D Especially about the cash register, that's the one thing that I'm not so sure about.

(If this is in the wrong board I apologize,this seemed like the only place it could go.)

The first day will be overwhelming, people order fast and quick. They will leaving you going ''Hurh? Slow down."

Edit: Oh and get out now while you still can. :o

my advice for working the register would be to get high beforehand. really takes the edge off.

Fast food is crappy, but it's easy when you really think about it. Outside of being tedious, the work isn't particularly difficult. The only bad thing is the rude customers and crappy working conditions. If you can find a way to keep your spirits up while going to work you're set. Fast food is more mental than physical.

I really was hoping to start out in a grocery store, stocking and bagging. But all the stores around here don't need anyone apparently. I might try some retail stores as they're probably going to need to more workers as christmas is getting closer.

But my cousin said he could most likely get me a job at Sonic's. Eh. He'd be fun to work with, though. He said he gets orders wrong a-lot and they haven't fired him, so that makes me feel a little better. :hehe:

You'll learn that you'll have questions about almost every new job you get. And no one will be able to give you the help you're looking for unless they work/have worked wherever you will be working - that's why you get trained by the preexisting employees. It's their job to teach you, not your job to know. Well, until you learn, of course.

it's best to work the food prep jobs so your interaction with dumb ass customers (which there will be many of) is as minimal as possible. i worked in fast food for 6 years. i had a wonderfully fun time. but i had awesome people i was working with, so....

The computer systems are different depending on where you go. Some have buttons you hit for combo meals etc, but some have a touch screen instead.

You will learn which buttons are for what when you're training. Just don't be afraid to ask questions. AND, a cheat sheet works wonders. So many people will ask you for a #1 or #4 etc, a small cheat sheet telling you which numbers are which meal will keep you from looking like an idiot to turn around and look up at the board to see what they want ;)

I wish you the best in your new job!

I haven't had a job before, and the way it's looking I'm going to be stuck in fast food as a first job. I'm unsure how everything works, like the cash register. Is everything labeled on the register like the combo orders, number orders, what it's called etc. I mean I don't think it'll be that hard, because every time I go into Taco Bell the teenager running the cash register is so high. :hehe: But this is my first job so everything will be new to me. Anyone who has worked at fast food could give me some advice? :D Especially about the cash register, that's the one thing that I'm not so sure about.

(If this is in the wrong board I apologize,this seemed like the only place it could go.)

I worked at Burger King...for a day. It sucks, get out now.:csad:

I've worked at both Mcdonald's and Sonic. And they both suck Equally.

Well I don't really want to work in fast food. But if I can't get a job elsewhere, I'm planning to. at-least until I can get hired somewhere else. :woot: I'm saving up for a car, a DECENT car. I already got a good chunk saved up, but I still need a bit more. Probably going to look for a Honda/Toyota type car. People have been suggesting me to get one as they're "reliable" and easy on gas.

Growing up is a pain. :csad:

I don't know why but I had a blast when I worked in McDees. I was there from high school all til freshman college before working for a market research company.

Working in the kitchen was a laugh but I guess it helps that the crew had a great chemistry. We were alot like the guys from "Waiting".

Best of all, I had no bills to pay so all wages earned went to partying. Ah those were the good days.

I worked at KFC in my senior year of highschool. I had a blast...so many great memories from back then.

My advice:

1. Don't get fat.
2. Don't be late.
3. Be polite, especially to your regular customers. They'll brighten up your day when things aren't going so great. I can still remember the regulars I used to see. If they ever had to wait, or got their order messed up, then I'd make sure they got hooked up.
4. Watch your back! Never let anyone use your register, except for managers or supervisors. And if you see something suspicious, then report it right away, to protect yourself from being investigated for crimes you didn't commit.
5. Don't work there for more than 18 months or so, unless you really like it, and want to move up in the ranks. But if not, then put in your advance notice to quit, and take that little bit of work experience with you to a better job.
6. Don't get fat!

Thanks everyone! :D I really do appreciate it.

And I don't plan on getting fat, but I guess most of us don't. :hehe:

I worked at Burger King...for a day. It sucks, get out now.:csad:

I worked at Subway...for a day. In hindsight, I probably should have stayed longer.

I find, in work, its not the customers that are annoying but the health and safety standards in working with food. I enjoy dealing with customers, the good ones outnumber the bad really.

Work drive through, overnight shift if you can. Tons of drunk girls, tons of fun and you see all kinds of f***ed up stuff. Everyone has to pay their dues.

Never had to work in fast food...ha! My first job was a lifeguard for two summers and then in a bank for like 3 years in college. I would say that is pretty close to fast food in having to deal with idiots and a register. The bank was fun though.

Ugh, one of my first jobs was in fast food. Your first day will be pretty bad, they kinda expect you to know everything and train you on the fly. Fellow coworkers helped me out for the first couple days but it's still a bit overwhelming. I quit after about 2 months though, horrible customers, bad work conditions, and a bit of foul play concerning hours was just too much for me. Get into a grocery store or retail if you can.

I've worked at both Mcdonald's and Sonic. And they both suck Equally.

How can Sonic sucks? It shares a name with that hedgehog game character. And it has women that serve food on roller skates, And it's like never that busy. Good day, sir.

I would suggest retail over fast food Karelia. You won't smell like food if you're working retail.

How can Sonic sucks? It shares a name with that hedgehog game character. And it has women that serve food on roller skates, And it's like never that busy. Good day, sir.
Boy, shows you how little you know about working at one.

I would suggest retail over fast food Karelia. You won't smell like food if you're working retail.

As would I, unless we're talking the convenience-store-that-requires-you-to-make-made-to-order-food type of retail. That's the worst. :down

And it can also get you shot up. :down:down

How old are you? Just curious, if it's your first job.

The first day is a bit much, but its not exactly hard, and it just gets easier. They'll likely teach you the cash register pretty well before they ever ask you to use it (usually at least a week into your training), which will either be buttons with words, or a screen with them.

I worked at two separate fast food places in my teens, one a smaller mom and pop joint, and one Burger King. I also worked in a grocery store, and in a factory environment.

Quite honestly, while there are annoying elements to fast food, and it can be tedious and unfulfilling, it's really not that bad if you can put things in perspective. It's easy, you may well like the people you work with, and the annoying customers you deal with are the same ones you deal with elsewhere. Learn to take critcism with a grain of salt, and go from there. Free food is usually the best part, but resist the urge to gorge yourself. You'll gain weight quickly, and get sick as quickly. Shower often, because you will come home grease-covered and smelling like food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"