Working on a Batman comic - illustrations

The Battousai

Avenger
Reaction score
I'm working on some prelim work for a comic I'm writing with another poster, Crusher, and this is my first drawing for Bruce Wayne. I still need to draw in a vertical scar on his lip and add the color, but I figured I'd post what I have so far.

(this isn't TDK-related)

2nd update:

I've been re-designing the Bruce Wayne character, and this is how far I am right now (no, this is not some weird Elseworlds story where Bruce and Freeze are morphed together - I assure you).

brucewaynestudy1ub5.jpg

Gotcha. It's part of your plot. Is it going to be a Joaquin Phoenix type of scar?

His eyebrows are a little too thin and the hair on his right side should be fuller. It looks almost like that big chunk of hair is a comb over. Also the line where his hair meets his head is a little off.

The best way to do it right would be to think of an actor who most resembles your Bruce Wayne, get good photos of that person and work from there. Adjust it to make it your own character, but drawing from real life is always, always better and more helpful then from your head.

he looks more like the father from batman begins than bruce wayne himelf

His eyebrows are a little too thin and the hair on his right side should be fuller. It looks almost like that big chunk of hair is a comb over. Also the line where his hair meets his head is a little off.

The best way to do it right would be to think of an actor who most resembles your Bruce Wayne, get good photos of that person and work from there. Adjust it to make it your own character, but drawing from real life is always, always better and more helpful then from your head.

Thanks for the advice

he looks more like the father from batman begins than bruce wayne himelf

This isn't related to Nolan's series, if you hadn't noticed the little note.

I always assumed that the scar was a repaired hair-lip. I have noticed Lex Luthor on Smallville has the same scar.

I also thought Daniel Craig at first glance. Great job, can't wait to see more.

I've updated my first post with the re-design I'm currently working on.

Funnily enough, I've gone with a mix of Daniel Craig and Godfather-era Al Pacino.

I was trying to think of the best way to help, so I decided to quickly shift around your drawing into the proper proportions, so you can see the difference.

Help.jpg

The nose and ear were too big, and the mouth was too low. Those were the biggest fixes. I also shifted the the chin and the stage right side of his face over just a little, he was too wide. I also erased just a few extra lines that weren't needed.

Learning the right proportions is the hardest part of drawing the face. As you can see, all your drawing was fine, I didn't re-draw anything, I just shifted a few things and it looks better. At least, I think it does, it's up to you if you agree with me.

I whipped this up really quick to help you out.

layout.jpg

These are the average proportions that every artists learns at one point or another. Try to at least do the oval and divide it, it helps me a lot when I start drawing a head. Also, like I said before look at real photos.

Keep working on it, and it'll come out great. :yay:

Also, I have no idea how you did it, but your the size of your image is 0.787 inches in height and width, and 727 dpi, which is an insanely high dpi number and an insanely small height and width. I guess this had to do with your scanner or something, but try to have the height and width be larger and the dpi at 300 or below. If you're just showing these on the web, and not planning to print them, the dpi should be at 72.

Thanks for the advice :woot:

I've never had a knack for drawing figures, so I need all the help I can get :p

I'll move the parts around in the original file and go from there - again, thanks :up:

EDIT: Updated the first post with the revised version :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"