WWII Thriller "Overlord" is Cloverfield 4

Which is...what, exactly?

Nobody outside of the niche of whatever that is knows what that is. The broader (educated) public associates Operation Overlord with D-Day and what followed. Not like the word "Overlord" can be claimed by some specific fictional property, it's a broad English-language term and in a specific modern sense mostly associated with a WWII event.

Well considering it's not an actual film about real-life events, and it's a fictional like zombie horror suspense thriller set in WWII, I would argue that Overlord might no be the best fitting title. But whatever. Not a hill I care to die on.

Well considering it's not an actual film about real-life events, and it's a fictional like zombie horror suspense thriller set in WWII, I would argue that Overlord might no be the best fitting title. But whatever. Not a hill I care to die on.

I'll admit that it's hard to judge what's popular and what's not these days. I can make claim that 'Franchise A' is super niche, but yet it can have 4 millions fans on Facebook or whatever right?

As a person who dabbles in anime, I'd say Overlord (manga/anime) is popular and well received, but is in stuck in that weird tier that's known and beloved within the anime world, but hasn't broken through the cultural lexicon.

Lord Ainz Ooal Gown wouldn't be a name that a general nerd would know about, but if I brought something up that's related to One Punch Man or Attack on Titan, I might get a better response.

So, I'd argue that Overlord is a fine title for this film. This ain't like a situation between Cameron's Avatar and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Now this I like.

I knew Kurt Russell's son was in this did not know Fitz from AOS was okay NOW I have to see this

Hah, that was awesome. The WWII setting is a great idéa IMHO.

Looks cool. Kinda like Inglourious Basterds in hell or something. But is there any Cloverfield connection? Or is this totally separate from that universe/anthology/whatever the hell it is?

Looks cool. Kinda like Inglourious Basterds in hell or something. But is there any Cloverfield connection? Or is this totally separate from that universe/anthology/whatever the hell it is?

Separate now, thanks to the critical failure of the Cloverfield Paradox

I understand that you need WWII to get Nazis into the plot. But then again with WWII you also get Jim Crow and the segregation of the American Army. You don't therefore get Jovan Adepo without being disrespectful to those who lived through the dehumanization of those policies. You are either using whitewashing in its classic definition of hiding the ugly truth by putting the lead character in the 101st Airborne instead of the 555th parachute Infantry that didn't see combat. Or you are using the modern definition of whitewashing by not having black actors fill up the rest of that transport aircraft that he jumps from.

And just as with Captain America The First Avenger I can't believe we are doing whitewashing still.

Maybe there's a storyline reason for it, but I guess it's a valid point. Have any reviews yet talked about this discrepancy?

WWII did happen when the US military was still segregated.

This movie continues to look better and better. We don't get enough unique horror films like this even though there are some similar ones out there. I can tell they are going balls to walls with this which makes me even more excited.

Saw a trailer for this with The Predator the other day, it certainly looks different to the other Cloverfield films.

Maybe there's a storyline reason for it, but I guess it's a valid point. Have any reviews yet talked about this discrepancy?

WWII did happen when the US military was still segregated.
I don't know. maybe it is because it is the great grandkids and grandchildren of the Jim Crow victims who make up the producers and the target demographic so nobody thought of it. But when i saw that first trailer with WWII weapons and the 101st Airborne patch on I went not again. Set 3 years later and it fits America, you just lose the Nazis. But some secret counter Soviet and/or North Korean mission doesn't have the emotional impact of total war against the Nazis.

Now in Captain America The First Avenger I am pretty sure they said Gabe Jones was with the Harlem Hellfighters, which served in the Pacific, so it would have been used as a generic term instead of the Buffalo Soldiers of the 92nd Infantry Division (Colored) which was in Italy when Steve Rogers rescued him. Likewise Jim Morita would have been in the 442nd Regimental Combat Team which was normally attached to the 92nd Inf and not a Texas National Guard Division as was shown in the 1951 movie Go For Broke which honored their service. If that movie was made today you could bet that the 92nd would see some mention not just the rescue of the Texan's who came to honor the Japanese Americans.You could say that the Strategic Scientific Reserve was its own thing explaining the training camp and forward base in Italy being integrated but not the USO tour audiences. For Marvel/Disney race was not a thing beyond a Nick Fury driving while black reference in The Winter Soldier until Agent Carter's second season when race became a plot focus.

Out of curiosity, I wonder what the title for this would have been if they had chosen to give it the Cloverfield name. The Cloverfield Project?

As a history buff myself, I don't exactly look for much historical accuracy in a film about American Soldiers fight freaking Nazi Zombies during WWII. So there being a Black man in the 101st, doesn't bother me here honestly. If this were trying to be a more "real" WWII story, then perhaps it would, but it isn't.

Regardless, I'm glad there's no Cloverfield name here, even if there is some type of loose connection.

They can always fit Clover in the last second like last time. :cwink:

Really looking forward too this, saw the trailer for the first time in front of my Halloween screening, looks like a solid if predictable Nazi-zombie flick.

Haven't heard alot of things for this movie. Sure we have two trailers and reviews, but I almost forgot about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"