X-Men, FF, DD: Choose one film franchise to return to Marvel

Fantastic Four. Galactus and Silver Surfer in MCU would be huge. Without them, Fox would be at a disadvantage because other FF villains aren't as well known. Not saying that without great villains a good movie can't be made, but a well known villain would help.

Yeah, there's no doubt that the FF absolutely belong in the MCU. The MCU is all about the classic four-color Marvel, with space opera and fantasy and adventure and larger-than-life costumed heroes and over the top villains.

In an ideal world, Fox would surrender the FF to the MCU, and Marvel would let Fox run the X-Universe. And Sony would sell back Spidey to the MCU for cash. And Daredevil and Ghost Rider would revert back to Marvel Studios, who would then create a smaller sub-studio to run lower-budget films based on the street-level heroes of the MCU. As marcvader dubbed it: the Marvel Knights (sub)universe becomes the MKU.

Gawd, if all that happened, all would be right again in the Marvel world.

If ASM continues the way its going I don't care if it stays at Sony.

But otherwise, well said, my friend.

Yeah, there's no doubt that the FF absolutely belong in the MCU. The MCU is all about the classic four-color Marvel, with space opera and fantasy and adventure and larger-than-life costumed heroes and over the top villains.

In an ideal world, Fox would surrender the FF to the MCU, and Marvel would let Fox run the X-Universe. And Sony would sell back Spidey to the MCU for cash. And Daredevil and Ghost Rider would revert back to Marvel Studios, who would then create a smaller sub-studio to run lower-budget films based on the street-level heroes of the MCU. As marcvader dubbed it: the Marvel Knights (sub)universe becomes the MKU.

It occurs to me, the Fox X-Men films have been a mess: hit or miss quality, moments of greatness bogged down by weird continuity issues, masses of characters ignored in the name of specific stars. . .

Which is to say, its a note-perfect adaptation of the X-Men comics. :woot:

X-men. Then FF. Neither is going to happen anytime soon though, imho.

Daredevil is gonna comeback to Marvel soon! I knew it! Thanks FOX!

FF is a must. Especially now that Marvel has opened up the cosmic aspect to their movie verse

I guess i'd rather have X-Men be at Marvel if they would have been there from the beginning. But they've gone far enough with the series to let them go, I say. The first X-Men trilogy was really good, even though the third wasn't as good as the two previous. First Class was amazing IMO, and with the Days of Future Past-inspired movie coming, it only looks like it's gonna get better. And despite the continuity non sense, I really enjoyed X-Men Origins : Wolverine THERE, I SAID IT, PLEASE DON'T KILL ME !

I don't really care about any Daredevil projects. So he can go one way or the other, as long as i'm concerned.

So I'd go with the Fantastic Four. The movies were okay, nothing that impressive, but they were made as cheap summer pop-corn movies. I think now Marvel unlocked the door to great superheroes movies. Light & fun without being cheap.

Daredevil. I wouldn't be too excited about the FF coming to the MCU without Spidy along with them and X-Men should jus be left to do its own thing unless we're talking X-Men vs Avengers anyway. With Daredevil they have some steep SHIELD ties to work with a Black Widow would get more screen time (and thus Scarlet Johanson will get more screen time).

Given how mediocre the X-Men Vs. Avengers comic is, I feel pretty comfortable saying that not even that would make me want to see the X-Men in the MCU.

I say Marvel should just play hardball, all or nothing-- if Fox can't get cameras rolling by October 10, they lose the Daredevil-verse, period.. and if the same happens with the Fantastic Four deadline, whenever that is, too bad. Fox still has the X-Men universe, still actively developing Future Past and Wolverine 2..

All of this hand-wringing over the notion of Disney/Marvel balking at using DD because of their "family friendly" track record of the PG-13 projects is just silly.. ask Disney if they'd love to have Spider-Man back from Sony, regardless of "reboot fatigue" or whatever..

If Marvel does accept some kind of deal to cherry-pick the "parole" of certain characters, they had better get a long list of them and make them count-- because I doubt that Fox will be as willing the "next time around"..

it needs to be iron-clad that Fox will not renege on trying to claim "license rights" to any character from the FF-worlds-- which are increasingly wider thanks to the Future Foundation comics..

It's not enough to have Silver Surfer/Galactus. Also, they should secure:
Surfer enemies like Mephisto, and other death-lords, i.e., Satannish, Kloot,
Flying dutchman, Firelord, Air Walker, Morg, the evil heralds..
Nova (frankie raye)
Shalla Bal, zenn-la
The Champion, Elders of the Universe
Black Panther/Wakanda, all allies--
alien races: badoon, shi'ar (really, do you think the X-Men films are going to go there??)
Inhumans (I don't care, I see them better used in the Marvel movie-U than the Fox movie-verse)

Thank you!!!!

This is exactly what I'm talking about...

The real Marvel U needs Dr. Doom!

Fox isn't going to do jack with most of the characters and the few that they will introduce will likely be b@stardized as usual.

Problem is that you can't play hardball unless you're operating from a position of strength, which Marvel isn't. Fox has contracts which stipulate how much time they have to make a movie before they lose the license. Aside from watching the clock run out, there's nothing Marvel can possibly do to force Fox to give them back. There's no "hardball" to be played, because Fox can just laugh in their faces and just churn out a crappy low-budget FF movie and reset the clock.

Last edited:
Fantastic 4, its a bit odd having an MCU without Reed Richards. And I'll be honest. I'm not even a huge fan of F4, but if anyone could change my opinion its Disney/Marvel with they way they've been going.

For me it's not so much about getting the rights for F4 back as much as it is for their enemies and supporting cast... Doom, Kree, Super Skrull, Negative Zone, Namor, Silver Surfer. Marvel regaining those properties would make the possibilities limitless!

Plus it's going to be sad to see Fox's hold Marvel/Disney at bay only to have F4 battling Moleman and The Puppet master if they're allow to go forward with their next crappy reboot.

It'll be awesome if that deal could work out!

Avengers versus a proper Galactus oh my goodness!

Plus maybe a Silver Surfer movie?[/QUOTE]

That would go hand and hand with "The Guardians of the Galaxy" universe!

Marvel already has Namor and the Kree.

Fair enough, but wouldn't it be epically hilarious if Disney just threatened Fox by having Pixar make an Incredibles 2 film around the same release date as a F4 reboot if they refuse to play ball?

LOL....and "The Incredible's" would OWN the box office with no contest due to Fox's crappy track record with F4 in the first place.

Get'em Mickey!

That still wouldn't get them the Fantastic Four back. You can't play hardball if you have no leverage. If their goal is to just piss off Fox then Fox could reciprocate by churning out a crappy $10 million FF movie every few years to a limited release and in that way hang onto the rights til the end of time. Marvel won't get anywhere with threatening Fox because they have nothing to threaten Fox with. All they can do is try to convince Fox that it'll be worth their while to give them the rights back or hope and pray that Fox drags their feet too long and the time runs out (Which, given that the rights to Daredevil run out this year, I suspect that the rights to the Fantastic Four run out in 2014).

Yes, theatening Fox won't help. Marvel best weapon, in the poker game between Disney and Fox is Fox inability to have a coherent plan for non X Men properties. DD is a great exemple. I suspect that the DD rights will revert to Marvel for one good reason : there were some major disagreements in Fox Head office. I suspect that some in Fox wanted to use the propertie in some way to keep the right, and other wanted to do something completely different. And, at the end of the day, none of them could find an agreement.
With the clock running, it is probably the reason of why Slade left the project.
The same thing may occur with FF, we can hope. (But it will never happen with X Men, which is Fox cash cow. X Men is bound to Fox forever) I have read somewhere that the FF rights will revert in 2014 or 2015

Fantastic Four, i like what Bryan Singer and Mattheu Vaught are doing right now with the X-Men franchise

That still wouldn't get them the Fantastic Four back. You can't play hardball if you have no leverage. If their goal is to just piss off Fox then Fox could reciprocate by churning out a crappy $10 million FF movie every few years to a limited release and in that way hang onto the rights til the end of time. Marvel won't get anywhere with threatening Fox because they have nothing to threaten Fox with. All they can do is try to convince Fox that it'll be worth their while to give them the rights back or hope and pray that Fox drags their feet too long and the time runs out (Which, given that the rights to Daredevil run out this year, I suspect that the rights to the Fantastic Four run out in 2014).

Yes, theatening Fox won't help. Marvel best weapon, in the poker game between Disney and Fox is Fox inability to have a coherent plan for non X Men properties. DD is a great exemple. I suspect that the DD rights will revert to Marvel for one good reason : there were some major disagreements in Fox Head office. I suspect that some in Fox wanted to use the propertie in some way to keep the right, and other wanted to do something completely different. And, at the end of the day, none of them could find an agreement.
With the clock running, it is probably the reason of why Slade left the project.
The same thing may occur with FF, we can hope. (But it will never happen with X Men, which is Fox cash cow. X Men is bound to Fox forever) I have read somewhere that the FF rights will revert in 2014 or 2015

Yeah...I know, it was meant to be a joke. Pixar and Disney are seperate entities now anyway but the point was that Pixar's "cartoon" made Fox's live action movie look like buffoonery by comparison.

Problem is that you can't play hardball unless you're operating from a position of strength, which Marvel isn't. Fox has contracts which stipulate how much time they have to make a movie before they lose the license. Aside from watching the clock run out, there's nothing Marvel can possibly do to force Fox to give them back. There's no "hardball" to be played, because Fox can just laugh in their faces and just churn out a crappy low-budget FF movie and reset the clock.

Not *quite*, because I'm pretty sure I've heard that the contract includes a "must not do damage to the IP" clause. If Fox tried to pull a Corman and then release it, they'd open themselves up to being sued for breach of contract.

Not *quite*, because I'm pretty sure I've heard that the contract includes a "must not do damage to the IP" clause. If Fox tried to pull a Corman and then release it, they'd open themselves up to being sued for breach of contract.

And why would Fox want to damage, perhaps irreparably, a franchise they intend to hold onto for an extended period of time?

Fox appears to be reluctant to pull the trigger on the FF and DD reboots, and for good reason. The recent installments in the Spider-man and X-Men franchises both performed significantly worse at the box office than the last installment in the preceding series, despite being more highly regarded. And DD, which had a weak first intallment, and the FF, which had a sequel that did poorer than the original and will require a substantial budget, are much riskier than the other recent franchise reboots. But FF and DD reboots within the MCU, overseen by Kevin Feige and consulted on by Joss Whedon would appear to have a much greater chance of success. Hopefully a deal will be made.

At one point it was stated (and like everything on the internet it needs to be taken with a grain of salt) that there was a 'Quality Clause' that would prevent Fox form doing that.

While I'm skeptical of anything I read on the internet, I think that's likely to be true because Marvel probably learned from their experience with the Roger Corman FF.

Yeah, that I find hard to believe, particularly given what a Fox executive said a while back about holding on to the rights for the X-Men. He said that, if worst came to worst, Fox could always make a cheap straight-to-DVD X-Men movie and "four-wall it", meaning that they'd stick it in any theatre to fulfill the theatrical release clause. I don't see why the Fantastic Four would have different contract stipulations, especially one as vague as that. How can you possibly argue quality in a court of law? If that were the case then Marvel could've taken Fox to court for both Fantastic Four movies, not to mention Daredevil, Elektra, X-Men 3, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"