X-Men - Part 8

I mean, sort of? There was the run of X-men leading up to the relaunch, as well as all of the Age of X-Man books. Not exactly a great run, as it is extremely bleak.

Hickman completely ignored everything that happened in those runs, so hardly a prequel
Plus like you said, those runs were not very good
HOXPOX was a hard start

And even though Hickman brought so many fresh and interesting ideas, he also wrote most of the X-men acting like weird alien people, so I'm glad the current writers have restored their characterizations at least

Ok, I finished that omnibus this week. I enjoyed it quite a lot. Krakoa is pretty fun. I didn't enjoy much the space stuff, but when it comes to Krakoa itself, how it's organized, the mutant pride, the politics, the rituals, etc... I really enjoyed it.

I just have no idea what I just read, in terms of which storyline was it. I don't know if it was Powers of X, Dawn of X, House of X, all of them, none of them. I don't know. I don't even know the order. I tried googling it, and there was some other titles involved like X-Factor or Hellions, and this omnibus seemed to be restricted to the X-Men. You know, that's one of the things that pulls me off the comics. It's hard to keep track of things.

Anyway, the questions I have it was mostly related to how all came to be. How did Krakoa became the mutant nation, and how all of these people came to terms (Apocalypse, Xavier, Sinister, Mystique, Erik, etc...).

Anyway, I'll try to keep reading. I enjoyed enough for that. And the one unresolved thing from this omnibus that I really want to see how it develops is Mystique's revenge (Erk and Charles jerks btw).

And I'm excited for what's coming next for the X-Men after they announced this shift of focus. Hopefully will be worth reading as well.

Edit: Oh, and the Hellfire Gala lasts for like 10 pages here, and I was like "Is that it?".

Sounds like you read the HIckman X-men omnibus, which only covered the main X-men title and some of the Giant Size Specials it did. It appears to lead up to the first Hellfire Gala, which is Planet Sized X-men, but doesn't actually have that issue. It skips over the big X of Swords crossover. And the start of the Krakoa era is really House of X/Powers of X, shortened to HOXPOX, which is the two miniseries before Hickman's X-men book started. You will want to hunt down those issues to see how everything started.

The Mystique stuff is covered in Inferno by Hickman.

Reactions: Lip
So I didn't read HOXPOX? Oh god...

But Thank you! I'll try Hellfire then Inferno.

Some other observations/questions:
1) Well, it doesn't sound like they were trying to make Scott and Jean an open relationship as I thought, but actually just a throuple with Logan. Like, ewww. I hate Jean and Logan as a couple.
2) At some point Kurt mentions starting a mutant religion. Do they develop this idea?
3) The Hellfire Gala sounds and looks so gay, and I love it.

I see the new X-men logo just being the animated series version, and just sigh.

You mean they're using the 90s animated show logo to promote this new era of the X-Men? If so, are you also annoyed they're reviving that show instead of coming up with a new concept? Because I am. :p

So I didn't read HOXPOX? Oh god...

But Thank you! I'll try Hellfire then Inferno.

1) Well, it doesn't sound like they were trying to make Scott and Jean an open relationship as I thought, but actually just a throuple with Logan. Like, ewww. I hate Jean and Logan as a couple.
2) At some point Kurt mentions starting a mutant religion. Do they develop this idea?
3) The Hellfire Gala sounds and looks so gay, and I love it.

You mean they're using the 90s animated show logo to promote this new era of the X-Men? If so, are you also annoyed they're reviving that show instead of coming up with a new concept? Because I am. :p
Yeah, I'd say HOXPOX is still a necessity even after this, but Hickman X-Men is obviously a good start as well.

1. Editorial makes them drop that idea almost instantly.
2. Yep! Si Spurrier takes Kurt on a wild ride through a few different books that follow up on this.
3. Yes.

Yeah, Si Spurrier essentially goes with the Nightcrawler stuff. I really liked his books. Way of X, Onslaught: Revelation, Legion of X, Uncanny Spider-man, and X-men Blue: Origins.

The Hellfire Gala designs gets real fun, because after the first, they let the other Marvel characters get in on the fun.

Thank you guys a lot! I haven't been excited to read comics in a very, very long time. I'll try reading as much as I can because I'm not sure if or how long it will last. :p

This Nightcrawler run is something I'll be definitely checking out. Is there any other specific thing about Krakoa, like creating a mutant religion, you would suggest?

1. Editorial makes them drop that idea almost instantly.
Honestly, I'd drop it too. I like the idea of Scott and Jean being in an open relationship, and the idea of Scott being bi sounds exciting too (to me at least :p ). But they'd never do it.

Now, speaking of which, there's a lot about the X-Men in general that just screams queerness. For the past few years we've been seeing some major characters (apparently most of them women) coming out and/or starting a romance, like Kitty or Betsy and Rachel (I haven't read them, just know about them). And I'm still waiting for something about Storm...

But, is there any character that you're waiting to come out too? Either because you think makes sense for the character, or because it was originally intended so, but censored? Most of New Mutants by the way give me some strong queer vibes...

Hickman was a big fan of the Sam/Roberto "bromance". The various New Mutants writers also seemed to be doing something with Dani/Rahne/Karma. Though Karma does get a girlfriend, I feel a lot of the writers were still leading up to Dani/Rahne.

It would be nice if they let Kitty be gay, but she has a problem similar to Spider-man.

Thank you guys a lot! I haven't been excited to read comics in a very, very long time. I'll try reading as much as I can because I'm not sure if or how long it will last. :p
Haha enjoy!

I'd recommend Immortal X-Men for the Quiet Council, very unique to Krakoa. Also, SWORD and X-Men Red for the space stuff. Vita Ayala also did a great New Mutants run. A lot of Krakoa slice of life stories.

As for queer characters. Iceman was on there obviously, but he's come out since.

I'd put Magik and Cypher on there as well. Also just made the connection that it's pretty much all the New Mutants. Definitely Dani/Rahne too.

Edit: I'd forgotten they actually confirmed Magik! That was long overdue too.
Another edit: I keep remembering things, but Immortal X-Men #10 also gets brutally honest about some of the problems with Mutants being used as a metaphor for minorities. That is probably my favorite issue in the Krakoan era.

Last edited:
It would be nice if they let Kitty be gay, but she has a problem similar to Spider-man.
Which problem?
Edit: I'd forgotten they actually confirmed Magik! That was long overdue too.
I didn't know about her. Or completely forgot as well.

I saw some people talking about Juggernault and Black Tom, but honestly I haven't read enough issues with them to have any opinion.
I keep remembering things, but Immortal X-Men #10 also gets brutally honest about some of the problems with Mutants being used as a metaphor for minorities. That is probably my favorite issue in the Krakoan era.
That sounds very interesting. Wanna check that as well.
Iceman was on there obviously, but he's come out since.
Any run you'd recommend to see more of Iceman, by the way? One where he's a prominent character.
I wish he had an iconic partner, like Mystique has Destiny.

I saw some people talking about Juggernault and Black Tom, but honestly I haven't read enough issues with them to have any opinion.
Didn't have them on my radar, to be honest. :beaming:

That sounds very interesting. Wanna check that as well.
I've been singing the praises of Immortal X-Men in this thread for pages on end now, it's definitely highly recommended.

Any run you'd recommend to see more of Iceman, by the way? One where he's a prominent character.
I wish he had an iconic partner, like Mystique has Destiny.
I honestly have the same problem. I love Bobby and enjoy it when he gets a solo run like Iceman (2017) or Astonishing Iceman (2023). However, he doesn't get the big storylines and has a lot of interchangeable love interests recently.

It often feels like they know the character can sell, but doesn't make enough money to justify a big investment. So, his books and stories are often the slightly lower tier of creators. I enjoyed him in early issues of Marauders, but that kinda fizzled out for me.

To each their own, I hate Scott and Jean as a couple as well. Thought he worked better with Emma, and she deserves someone better too (not saying that's Logan, though he is less fickle in their relationship than Scott)

Biggest bummer for me is I was excited to see them play more with relationships outside of monogamy. A new mutant society without the constraints of religiously dictated tradition and contractual ownership of another person. Wished it was an open relationship and not just Scott and Jean defaulting back together again after not seeing each other for a decade.

Last edited:
Which problem?

In that way, way too many authors who "love her character" seem way, way too invested in her love life. To the point that it will be a red flag for any new Marvel writer or director for the movie. It all started Whedon with him doing his Whedon thing with his various issues. And then Aaron, Bendis (seriously, wtf Bendis? Starlord?), and Guggenheim.

In that way, way too many authors who "love her character" seem way, way too invested in her love life. To the point that it will be a red flag for any new Marvel writer or director for the movie. It all started Whedon with him doing his Whedon thing with his various issues. And then Aaron, Bendis (seriously, wtf Bendis? Starlord?), and Guggenheim.
Yeah, there are definitely some authors who write her like Mara Jade.

Foxe is off to a great start with Dead X-Men.

Though I'm not sure about the even more crazy/evil robot Moira. Regular Moira is bad enough. Though, I'm still insanely happy with Gillen's Moira engines. That way at least we can sorta go full circle with the character, despite how much they've screwed her over.

Edit: Someone also should've said "not now" when Fabian Nicieza proposed to do a 'Cable, meanwhile, was doing even more important things that have nothing to do with the ongoing story' book.

Last edited:
So, its looking like the big reboot will be June/July-ish. Solicitations has said the final issue of this run of X-men is in June. I am hoping there are some interesting books there. And they aren't expensive.

So, its looking like the big reboot will be June/July-ish. Solicitations has said the final issue of this run of X-men is in June. I am hoping there are some interesting books there. And they aren't expensive.
I'm still dreading the reboot to be honest, but enjoying this final stretch of the Krakoa era. Gillen, Ewing, and Foxe are doing a lot of interesting stuff right now.

Finally caught up to adjectiveless (read26 to 31 this week) and....they need better art imo.

I also skimmed the pages of Rise and Fall. The comic book title that has Rogue, Polaris, Colossus and Gambit, has a more interesting line up compare to regular line up of Adjectiveless (Shadowkat, Ms. Marvel, Talon, Synch, Wolverine and Rasputin IV). But I didn't really read those two issues of both Rise and Fall, as I still don't really care about this Krakoa era of X-Men.

I'm still dreading the reboot to be honest, but enjoying this final stretch of the Krakoa era. Gillen, Ewing, and Foxe are doing a lot of interesting stuff right now.
Yeah, as I said before, my excitmebt is gone for now, and I'm waiting for it to be back so I can read Inferno and more stories.

But I came here to know your thoughts since the end of krakoa is official now. (Or was official before and I didn't know)

Got my books. I really did appreciated the Kitty/Illyana/Lockheed reunion in the last X-men issue.

Yeah, as I said before, my excitmebt is gone for now, and I'm waiting for it to be back so I can read Inferno and more stories.

But I came here to know your thoughts since the end of krakoa is official now. (Or was official before and I didn't know)
I'm dreading what's next, but Gillen, Foxe, and Ewing are still doing really good work here. I'm biased towards Gillen though, as per 99% of my posts in this thread. I just hope it ends on a high note.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"