Days of Future Past X-men Sequel worldwide BOX-OFFICE predictions

And so ends the Alexei show for the summer.

Carry on as you were, people.

tumblr_lszlff98dy1r4yl1ro1_500.gif

Thank you so much. He's been ruining a lot of Marvel film threads from this one to Fantastic Four Reborn

And Real Steel was really good. Sad that that movie didn't do as well (although it did OK) when garbage like Transformers continues to do well.

It shows that Jackman isn't enough to carry any film on his own, especially with a film concept that people don't really care about. There was a general 'meh' about Real Steel from the moment it was announced.

But no, the franchise can certainly move on without him at this point. Trust me, he has plenty of fans who wish that he would.

I don't mind seeing him appear as part of DoFP but it's all about balance.

I actually can find some good and plenty of watchable entertainment in all the X-Men movies but there have been some major misjudgements.

It needs a good story and a good director. Jackman, McKellen and Halle Berry all delivered better performances under Singer's direction, even though it was great to see their dramatic action scenes in X3.

Also, I really can't see how Wolverine can be the one to go against Magneto. We saw how that turned out in X1 and X3 (where he was flung miles through the forest). Unless they want to show his adamantium being ripped out.

And what about the 60s version of Wolverine we saw in First Class? Is he going to be around? Wouldn't that be before he had the metal put in?

It shows that Jackman isn't enough to carry any film on his own, especially with a film concept that people don't really care about. There was a general 'meh' about Real Steel from the moment it was announced.

Which again, is sad...since it was really good. We dragged my mother to see it and she wound up loving it. :oldrazz:

He really hasn't had a hit film outside of the X-Men series, but he could show up on a Broadway stage reading the phone book for two hours and it would sell out for months. It's sort of a weird dynamic.

For the record, I would totally watch him read the phone book for two hours. :oldrazz:

Les Miserables looks amazing, so I'm hoping it does as well as it looks. It's my favorite musical, so I'm really looking forward to that more than any other Wolverine appearances.

I actually can find some good and plenty of watchable entertainment in all the X-Men movies but there have been some major misjudgements.

It needs a good story and a good director. Jackman, McKellen and Halle Berry all delivered better performances under Singer's direction, even though it was great to see their dramatic action scenes in X3.

Also, I really can't see how Wolverine can be the one to go against Magneto. We saw how that turned out in X1 and X3 (where he was flung miles through the forest). Unless they want to show his adamantium being ripped out.

And what about the 60s version of Wolverine we saw in First Class? Is he going to be around? Wouldn't that be before he had the metal put in?

Exactly. There's so much they could be doing with that universe and those characters that pushing him to the front of another series at the expense of the other characters isn't right.

I get that he's popular enough that Fox certainly wouldn't shy away from including him in these sequel/prequel/whatever it is. But I don't see a pressing need for him to be there in order for the movie to be successful.

Erik isn't a true villain yet, he's just very much on his way (and will likely truly get there by the end of the sequel). If anything they need a villain that prompts them to team up again, however temporary. Their relationship needs some more complicated frenemy transitioning before they start all-out battling each other.

Nah I disagree, thats what the whole point of FC was. At the end Magneto clearly has taken a stand against humans. Which is what he does and kind of as much as a villain as he should be. Magneto to me walks the line of VIllain and Antihero. Hes not the kind of villain who will strangle babies to show hes a bad guy. Hes more if you dont agree with his beliefs then he will kill you and anyone who gets in his way kinda villain. Hes to that point right now in the FC films and he started his war on humanity at the end of FC. As long as Mags has put himself against humanity, hes at that dangerous point of being "evil".

Last edited:
exactly.At end of First Class Magneto would have destroed the Us and Soviet fleets If Xavier hadn't stopped him.He bursted Into CIA headquarters to free Emma.He's become the threat.Doing Days of future Past allowes you to see the ironary of his actions.At core Magneto does what he thinks Is best for Mutants.He doesn't want his kind to suffer
the fate of his family.Yet In reality his actions are hurting mutants.Magneto only fights X-Men when they get In his way.

He doesn't want his kind to suffer
the fate of his family.Yet In reality his actions are hurting mutants.Magneto only fights X-Men when they get In his way.
Exactly and I hope one of these days they have a story with him where he realizes his war against humanity was wrong. They could def go there in DOFP. Its always awesome to see Mags fighting with the X Men against something that threatens everyone. If DOFP goes that route it would be awesome and give Mags a really good character piece

That last scene on the beach sets up everything perfectly for Magneto. He didnt kill any of the X men. Might have came close with Moira but there was reason, Prof X is like a brother to him. If he thinks anyone messed with his family they are screwed. Plus she was human, who Mags holds a strong prejudice against. If Magneto ever killed an X Men on screen, there better be good reason. He has the power to do so, but doesnt for a reason.

Last edited:
Which again, is sad...since it was really good. We dragged my mother to see it and she wound up loving it. :oldrazz:

He really hasn't had a hit film outside of the X-Men series, but he could show up on a Broadway stage reading the phone book for two hours and it would sell out for months. It's sort of a weird dynamic.

For the record, I would totally watch him read the phone book for two hours. :oldrazz:

Les Miserables looks amazing, so I'm hoping it does as well as it looks. It's my favorite musical, so I'm really looking forward to that more than any other Wolverine appearances.

Exactly. There's so much they could be doing with that universe and those characters that pushing him to the front of another series at the expense of the other characters isn't right.

I get that he's popular enough that Fox certainly wouldn't shy away from including him in these sequel/prequel/whatever it is. But I don't see a pressing need for him to be there in order for the movie to be successful.
I've gotta disagree with you on Real Steel. Maybe it's just because I'm a hyper critic but I just found it too cliche'd and plot trap door-y. I also think it abandoned some really interesting things... like there are hints that the robot is sentient which I thought would have been a really, really cool angle to pursue, and actually from the trailers that's what I thought it was-- the robot is sentient and learns boxing from HJ not via programming but through watching. So yeah I was sad when it ended up being a sappy Family Movie at the end :(. But HJ was brilliant in The Prestige and I agree, I'm extremely stoked for Les Mis.

I think he's winding down from Wolverine. He's a great character but at a certain part even the actor's gotta be sick of playing him and ready to move onto other things.

You hit the nail on the head with your comment about how it isn't right to give him even more screentime when there are all these other characters who are completely underdeveloped. I'd really like to know more about Alex for example, because he just seems like such an ANGRY kid and I'd like to know what his deal is and how he relates (or doesn't) to Scott. I'd like to see Emma actually BE Emma. Also more on Erik and Charles and Raven and Beast. They made me care about 4 characters I never gave a second thought to.

Exactly and I hope one of these days they have a story with him where he realizes his war against humanity was wrong. They could def go there in DOFP. Its always awesome to see Mags fighting with the X Men against something that threatens everyone. If DOFP goes that route it would be awesome and give Mags a really good character piece

That last scene on the beach sets up everything perfectly for Magneto. He didnt kill any of the X men. Might have came close with Moira but there was reason, Prof X is like a brother to him. If he thinks anyone messed with his family they are screwed. Plus she was human, who Mags holds a strong prejudice against. If Magneto ever killed an X Men on screen, there better be good reason. He has the power to do so, but doesnt for a reason.

Yeah I really can't see him killing any of the current X-Men. They're something like his brothers or sons. But I think other members of the Brotherhood might be more ruthless (I will never get Angel trying to kill the people who tried to befriend her, that was seriously WTF for me). It would be interesting if, say, Azazel takes out Banshee and Magneto just loses it on him 3:10 to Yuma style.

But I think other members of the Brotherhood might be more ruthless (I will never get Angel trying to kill the people who tried to befriend her, that was seriously WTF for me). It would be interesting if, say, Azazel takes out Banshee and Magneto just loses it on him 3:10 to Yuma style.

Agreed, Angel's arc is as lame as the way her powers were displayed. I laugh everytime at the Banshee VS Angel fight. That fights a joke. They should have at least had some dialogue back and forth.

Yeah, Magneto doesnt harm his own kind unless he has good reason. IF Azazel or anyone else kills an X Men. They better have the green light from Magneto to do so.

As you pointed out, Charles is one of a tiny handful of characters who can take Magneto so I'm baffled (and, once again, infuriated) by Vaughn's explanation that "because he's in a wheelchair we need someone else to fight Magneto". It's not as if Charles' power or person lay in his ability to walk.

I think one reason why they'd want someone other than Charles to fight Magneto is to make the fight dynamic and visually exciting. I don't know how his fights with Magneto went in the comic books, but as far as I can see the only way Charles could take down Magneto is for him to take the helmet off first - after which the fight is basically over. Because he's bound to wheelchair the chances of Charles getting his hands on the helmet are extremely small and he can't even have the kind of fight he had with Erik in FC. Therefore his next best bet is to use someone else, like he did in X1 with Sabretooth and Toad. And that scene in X1 was a fantastic, tense stand-off, but then Magneto, at that point in his life, wasn't exactly in the best shape for combat either. Whereas in FC series he's in his physical prime, and if he has to fight someone I figure the filmmakers would want the fight he's in to be a lot more physical than just standing there and talking.

I think one reason why they'd want someone other than Charles to fight Magneto is to make the fight dynamic and visually exciting. I don't know how his fights with Magneto went in the comic books, but as far as I can see the only way Charles could take down Magneto is for him to take the helmet off first - after which the fight is basically over. Because he's bound to wheelchair the chances of Charles getting his hands on the helmet are extremely small and he can't even have the kind of fight he had with Erik in FC. Therefore his next best bet is to use someone else, like he did in X1 with Sabretooth and Toad. And that scene in X1 was a fantastic, tense stand-off, but then Magneto, at that point in his life, wasn't exactly in the best shape for combat either. Whereas in FC series he's in his physical prime, and if he has to fight someone I figure the filmmakers would want the fight he's in to be a lot more physical than just standing there and talking.

It sounds like we're veering towards a brutal Wolverine/Magneto showdown that ends with Wolverine's adamantium being ripped out. But what happens after it is ripped out?

This has to be future Wolverine as 60s Wolverine wouldn't yet have the metal, so does future Wolverine die or what? Or are we bending the already-bent timeline to give 60s Wolverine adamantium?

But what happens after the metal is ripped out? Who heals/repairs him? Or does he die?

It sounds like we're veering towards a brutal Wolverine/Magneto showdown that ends with Wolverine's adamantium being ripped out. But what happens after it is ripped out?

This has to be future Wolverine as 60s Wolverine wouldn't yet have the metal, so does future Wolverine die or what? Or are we bending the already-bent timeline to give 60s Wolverine adamantium?

But what happens after the metal is ripped out? Who heals/repairs him? Or does he die?

He heals himself and is left without adamantium, unless the attack temporarily stops his healing factor like in Fatal Attractions. In which case hes screwed and probably gets another solo movie were someone rebonds it to him. Apocalypse gave him it back in the comics, but I think there are a few others you could get away with.

Last edited:
He heals himself and is left without adamantium, unless the attack temporarily stops his healing factor like in Fatal Attractions. In which case hes screwed and probably gets another solo movie were someone rebonds it to him. Apocalypse gave him it back in the comics, but I think there are a few others you could get away with.

Yep, I know how it went down in the comics; I was wondering what they would do with the idea in the movieverse.

Yep, I know how it went down in the comics; I was wondering what they would do with the idea in the movieverse.

I would pay alot to see that scene go down.

Probably just heal himself I would think. Otherwise hed be out the rest of the flick. Having some of the more Scientific mutants fix him wouldnt be that far of a stretch I guess.

I would pay alot to see that scene go down.

Probably just heal himself I would think. Otherwise hed be out the rest of the flick. Having some of the more Scientific mutants fix him wouldnt be that far of a stretch I guess.

It would serve as the ideal entry point for Sinister or Apocalypse, or they could get Polaris and/or Scarlet Witch to reinstate the adamantium, or it would be a way to reintroduce Stryker.

It would serve as the ideal entry point for Sinister or Apocalypse, or they could get Polaris and/or Scarlet Witch to reinstate the adamantium, or it would be a way to reintroduce Stryker.

Id be cool with them all except Stryker. I have a personal vendetta against that character showing up again in another X film. When Stryker has had more screen time/development then all the X Men team members theres a problem haha.

What are your opinions on goen the Mags VS Wolverine route?

Id be cool with them all except Stryker. I have a personal vendetta against that character showing up again in another X film. When Stryker has had more screen time/development then all the X Men team members theres a problem haha.

What are your opinions on goen the Mags VS Wolverine route?

Well, it's an 'iconic' comic book moment with the adamantium being ripped out.

As we're going on supposition and speculation, I'm not sure of the logistics of it all. Which Wolverine - 60s or future? How does Wolverine get near enough to be a threat (if Mags can sense guns moving in water a mile away) - by ambush or by Magneto first being distracted/preoccupied by other X-Men attacking? And what happens afterwards (as I said above: Does someone restore the metal to his bones or what).

My other concern is that Wolverine/Jackman will hog the limelight and claim the climactic showdown and the other characters will be reduced to scenery.

My other concern is that Wolverine/Jackman will hog the limelight and claim the climactic showdown and the other characters will be reduced to scenery.

I think they need another good fighter be it Wolverine or not.

I do think hes kinda essential in DOFP and his presence would be missed by comic fans and the general going audience regardless of how often he shows up in other films. They need to use him as a good supporting role if any. Always thought Wolverine would work the best that way.

With FC, besides Magneto and Azazel no one can really fight. Unless they do some serious changes on how Havok and Banshee use their power Magnetos gonna be all they got with FC characters.

Last edited:
Not to be a pseudo mod here but can we pleeease get back on topic and leave Wolverine out of this? This is about box office predictions and discussing Wolverine as though he'll be in the sequel should probs be in a new thread. I'm tired of reading about him which is why I'm lurking in this thread and not the "new characters one". :/

Regarding box-office, I think that the sequel will do better than FC, especially if it's made in 3D. But I don't think that even spectacular marketing will turn it into a juggernaut like The Avengers or The Dark Knight. They're the kind of phenomenon that even people who wouldn't normally watch a comic book hero movie would go and see, just because it's been turned into a must-see event. My guess would be $350-$450 million worldwide, total.

Regarding box-office, I think that the sequel will do better than FC, especially if it's made in 3D. But I don't think that even spectacular marketing will turn it into a juggernaut like The Avengers or The Dark Knight. They're the kind of phenomenon that even people who wouldn't normally watch a comic book hero movie would go and see, just because it's been turned into a must-see event. My guess would be $350-$450 million worldwide, total.

Yeah I definitely think it will do better than the first one, but expecting it to do anywhere near the realm of TDKR or Avengers is pretty ludicrous. Which is why I find it baffling that FOX would even consider attempting it. I'm sure they're privvy to tons more info and stats than we are and the numbers would also be telling them that 1B$ mark is never going to happen.

I'm hoping they'll stay away from 3D though. 3D adds costs that I've read studios only ever really break even on (Avengers might be the exception, not sure on that). But for a small rake-in film like XMFC2 I don't think it'd be worth it for them.

450M is a fair guess. I think there's a small chance it could beat X3's record by a nudge. But a lot of that will also be based on how good the movie actually is as well. If it's a stinker, word will travel pretty fast and people will just rely on torrents to see instead. If it's a stinker I think FOX will have completely ruined every last scrap of faith fans have in the movies and a third one, should they go forward with it, will be an absolute BO bomb.

Not to be a pseudo mod here but can we pleeease get back on topic and leave Wolverine out of this? This is about box office predictions and discussing Wolverine as though he'll be in the sequel should probs be in a new thread. I'm tired of reading about him which is why I'm lurking in this thread and not the "new characters one". :/

Hi, this is the actual mod, and as long as it's relevant to the topic (as in, whether or not the clawed-one's presence will effect box office potential) the subject can stay.

Our obvious shill problem from the weekend has been taken care of, and since we really know next-to-nothing about what's actually going on with this film just yet, it's going to be difficult to keep any subject from veering off into potential character arcs and plotlines.

Although if folks really want to discuss these individual character arcs, the best thing to do is create another thread for them so we can do our damnedest to keep threads like these closer to topic.

But, you know, you could just skip over the posts you don't want to read when threads veer off at this stage, or jump in and change the subject.

Yeah I definitely think it will do better than the first one, but expecting it to do anywhere near the realm of TDKR or Avengers is pretty ludicrous. Which is why I find it baffling that FOX would even consider attempting it. I'm sure they're privvy to tons more info and stats than we are and the numbers would also be telling them that 1B$ mark is never going to happen.

I think it's especially unlikely considering that the original trilogy never got near a billion, despite being Wolverine-centred and featuring the line-up of popular characters. If anything was close to the Avengers-style all-star team, surely the original movies were it.

I don't see why anyone would think that mixing the original cast with their younger versions would suddenly cause a box office explosion.

I don't see why anyone would think that mixing the original cast with their younger versions would suddenly cause a box office explosion.

Im pretty sure it would bring in better numbers. They are the most popular characters and most familiar with the audience. People have wanted an X4 for awhile and want to see them on screen again. Mixing them with FC would definitely bring up the scope plus create bigger buzz and anticipation.

I can guarantee you it wouldnt hurt the box office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"