XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Discussion in 'Misc. and Multiplatform Games' started by Whiskey Tango, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ChrisBaleBatman

ChrisBaleBatman Legendary Hero

I just started playing, and am just starting to get a handle on the gameplay. I'm new to this genre, so the learning is going to take some time. But, I've enjoyed it so far. And, I think I'll be getting the Elite Soldier Pack. The extra customization sounds cool, and considering I got the game at much lower price, I guess spending some MS points is fine with me on this game.

2. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

edit: LOL I came back to tell you about the elite soldier pack and you posted while I was writing mine.

3. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

Is the elite soldier pack worth it?

4. ChrisBaleBatman

ChrisBaleBatman Legendary Hero

Eh, depends. If you like being able to customize your soldiers, and add an extra face that is pretty much a new soldier, then yeah. I mean, the new face, the new guy, in my squad looks like Guile. So, that's cool. If that stuff doesn't matter to you at all, then no.

I'm not short on Microsoft Points, I like customization, and I did get the game at a bargain price. So, I was good with getting it.

Also, and this helps alot for me, I'm hooked on this game. I'm starting to get comfortable with style of game and wrapping my head around the rules, more or less.

5. zenith16

zenith16 Well-Known Member

X-Com creator Julian Gollop on how he would have designed Enemy Unknown differently, and why it would have failed

24 Comments
    at 07:00pm April 25 2013
    [​IMG] It’s well-recognised that PC Gamer favourite XCOM was lost in rights-hell for years until Firaxis rescued it last year. In a charmingly open interview at GDC, UFO: Enemy Unknown / X-COM co-creator Julian Gollop revealed how he felt about the new game, how he would have changed it – and why it would have failed.
    “I would have designed it differently, for sure.” says Gollop, of the new game. “Would it have been as successful as the new XCOM? Probably not. No, I’m afraid.”

source: PC gamer

6. zenith16

7. zenith16

Jake Solomon on XCOM iOS and the 'happy accident' of mobile strategy games

[​IMG] (1 hour ago)

[​IMG]
    "This isn't just like a port to a new platform," XCOM: Enemy Unknown designer Jake Solomon tells me over the phone. "From a development angle, this is one of the – and I honestly can't think of another experience except for The Walking Dead – where it's a game, a AAA game that we just put out on consoles, and we're putting the whole thing out to tablet. This is something that I can't take any design credit for, but turn-based strategy games work really well on mobile devices. It's sort of a happy accident, in that sense."

The project can be traced back to the time when Firaxis was finishing up its work on XCOM: Enemy Unknown for PC and consoles. 2K China presented a version of the game running on iOS, and from there Firaxis would work with them on the portable incarnation due this summer. It features the full functionality seen on other platforms, thanks to the Unreal foundation that has played nice with iOS since late 2010.

"Without Unreal, it certainly wouldn't have been possible," Solomon says.

Continue Reading

And on further news on this

XCOM iOS multiplayer to be added after launch

[​IMG] (44 minutes ago)

[​IMG]
    The iOS version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown will launch with the full single-player experience seen on consoles and PC, with multiplayer modes following later.

"We're sort of focusing our design resources on the single-player experience. We're certainly going to provide [multiplayer] after launch," XCOM: Enemy Unknown designer Jake Solomon tells Joystiq. "The single-player is what we really – we know that for it to feel like XCOM, the single-player needs a lot of our focus. So we're playing, giving feedback, making sure it feels nice and polished. It's just we're focusing our resources on single-player first."

2K Games is tentatively slating XCOM: Enemy Unknown for launch on iOS sometime this summer. Pricing is still being determined, though Solomon says the game will exact an up-front fee and won't hinge on in-app purchases.

source:Joystiq

8. zenith16

9. zenith16

10. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

awesome. :) cant wait to get back into this game

11. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

12. zenith16

I forgot to put this up last niht before I took off here it is

source: GI

13. James

James Built from Lego

I read that this add-on will feature 40 new maps. That alone is worth the price of admission.

14. Soapy

Soapy Well-Known Member

The new expansion sounds pretty awesome. I've been waiting on a reason to play the PC version, I guess this is it.

15. zenith16

16. zenith16

source: GI

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  17. zenith16

XCOM: Enemy Within 'too big' to be DLC on Xbox 360, PS3

[​IMG] (5 hours ago)

[​IMG]
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown's expansion, Enemy Within, will be issued as DLC on PC and Mac for $30, but the only way to get it on consoles is through a new Commander's Edition – a retail re-release that includes the XCOM: Enemy Unknown game, the Slingshot and Elite Soldier add-ons, plus the Enemy Within expansion.

The reason for issuing the Commander's Edition is because Enemy Within is simply too large a file to patch into the console game as DLC. "For the expansion on the PC, it was fairly straightforward," Garth DeAngelis, senior producer at Firaxis Games, said during a PAX Prime interview. "But when it came to the consoles, it was too big. If we wanted to deliver the same content to the console players, we had to do it this way as a standalone expansion on a disc. We couldn't simply just patch it in."

DeAngelis added that Enemy Within includes so many changes to the base XCOM: Enemy Unknown experience – new unit types, upgrades and even skill changes – it necessitated an entire re-issue of the game. "These things are tied deeply into Enemy Unknown so we wanted to release [the Commander's Edition] as sort of the ultimate edition, with all the previous DLC on this one disc. It was either deliver it this way or not deliver it at all."

XCOM: Enemy Within, announced at Gamescom nearly a week ago, launches on November 12.

source:Joystiq

so you ether pick it up separately or have a pc or mac version as an alternative. or wait for ports for next gen like ps4 and XBone.

18. zenith16

here's a youtube video as an alternative
    [YT]EF3AwytdPh8[/YT]
    Genetically altering humans has been proven (through speculative fiction) a universally bad idea. Sure, super-powered leg muscles sound like fun, but sooner or later the owner of those muscles is going to go mad with power. Before you know it, they’re leaping through space as part of a plan to punch the moon out of orbit. Still, in the world of XCOM: Enemy Within, aliens are attacking the planet. In light of that, the powers and abilities shown off in this game footage are probably for the best.
    You can find the full list of planned features for the massive Enemy Unknown expansion through our announcement post. XCOM: Enemy Within is due out November 12th.

source: GI & Youtube

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  19. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

Thanks zenith for always keeping us updated on stuff. I appreciate it

20. zenith16

You're welcome.

21. zenith16

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  22. zenith16

XCOM: Enemy Within hands on – meet Earth’s new defenders

9 Comments
    at 12:00pm September 28 2013
    [​IMG] XCOM: Enemy Within replaces Enemy Unknown’s opening Arthur C Clarke quote with a pearl from American polymath R Buckminster Fuller. “Those who play with the Devil’s toys will be brought by degrees to wield his sword.”
    It captures the central theme of this major expansion: how far are you prepared to warp your soldiers with alien tech before they lose touch with the race they’re defending? Fuller’s words do fall slightly askew, though. It’s not a sword, it’s a giant rocketpowered robot fist.
    That fist belongs to Rebecca ‘Freya’ Berry, a US soldier strapped into a ten-foot-tall mech suit. I’m playing through a battle at Firaxis HQ, Maryland, surrounded by a squadron of design leads, all quietly waiting to see what I’ll do with this destructive new toy. The XCOM fundamentals remain unchanged: you build a base, research alien tech, conduct autopsies and invent new gear for your soldiers to utilise in turn-based human vs alien skirmishes. Enemy Within introduces new enemies, units, classes, gear, abilities, maps and more to grow that base game into something bigger, tougher and full of giant robots.

source: Pc gamer

23. zenith16

24. zenith16

[​IMG]
    XCOM: Enemy Within Covert Ops Hands On

14 hours 53 minutes ago - Firaxis' lead designer joins us for a Covert Operation against an all-new enemy. Read More »

and

XCOM: Enemy Within trailer introduces the Exalt, hints at base defence missions

18 Comments
    at 03:11pm October 9 2013
    [​IMG]

[YT]fd9CmpLZVMI[/YT]
    Here’s a trailer that focuses on the Exalt: those covert enemy operatives that Tyler revealed in his XCOM: Enemy Within preview. They’re an enemy within, you see. Within the expansion, within your species, and, as your trailer shows, within your own base. While the trailer consists entirely of cutscene, it does suggest that base defence missions could be making a return.

source: GI, IGN & Pc gamer

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  25. zenith16

The covert operative class and missions will be interesting. Ok so from what they showed in the article and two videos above and just put on their wikia page.
    http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/XCOM:_Enemy_Within

source: XCOM:_Enemy_Within's wikia

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013