Yahya Abdul-Mateen II IS Black Manta

"He's a good choice for Dick. A real up-and-comer."

But yeah. I am dying to see Black Manta. If they get it right, he could be one of the all-time greats as far as CBM villains go.

black_manta_by_messypandas-da3qx5y.png

black_manta_by_hansime-d8twe0o.jpg

17596531_929778347164781_5769612792021647360_n.jpg

Those pictures are absolutely superb especially the Manta vehicle one

Yayha tweeted that he wasn't into comics before but he is reading a lot of 'em now. He specifically mentioned Black Manta Rising and The Others. Someone on twitter suggested Aquaman Vol. 6 and he said that he'll read it too.

Yayha tweeted that he wasn't into comics before but he is reading a lot of 'em now. He specifically mentioned Black Manta Rising and The Others. Someone on twitter suggested Aquaman Vol. 6 and he said that he'll read it too.

17882806_201405490365322_4070220917349810176_n.jpg

Ha, you would think all actors would be getting into comic books now so that when they're eventually cast in them they can say they've always been fans

I can't wait till this cast gets a panel at CC. They all seem so fun and engaging.

You've gotta wonder if, after being cast in a comic book related property, whether on film or TV, that actors just get stacks of comics from the studio or actual comic company. At least in this day and age. I doubt that was a huge deal way back when as far as, say, the Donner Superman films, which are great, but Donner seemed to be focused on just telling a great story instead of a panel to panel adaptation.

Either way, agreed that this cast looks like it's having a lot of fun. Hopefully if there is indeed a writer's strike, this film, and really anything coming down the pipeline, isn't affected too much.

You've gotta wonder if, after being cast in a comic book related property, whether on film or TV, that actors just get stacks of comics from the studio or actual comic company. At least in this day and age. I doubt that was a huge deal way back when as far as, say, the Donner Superman films, which are great, but Donner seemed to be focused on just telling a great story instead of a panel to panel adaptation.

Either way, agreed that this cast looks like it's having a lot of fun. Hopefully if there is indeed a writer's strike, this film, and really anything coming down the pipeline, isn't affected too much.

Mario Puzo spent time at DC Comics in preparing his draft of the story for S:TM. With actors back in the day I think most just went off the script they were handed and what the director's vision was. For good or ill that's just how it was. Now the source material is more involved and frankly you have more film makers, even if they weren't necessarily fans of specific comic characters who do have a respect for the lore and comics in general. They at least know that the comics are of a quality that they cannot be totally dismissed out of hand. Same with the actors these days I think.

I hope Abdul-Mateen can find a through line with Manta from reading some comic runs to give his performance some weight and gravitas, or at least he finds a way to make Manta formidable and and a bonanza fide bad ass. That is of course if Wan himself gets the appeal and history of the character from the books and goes whole hog with him in the story. I still VERY much am worried that Manta might get punked in this and is nothing more than a hench type character. I get that Orm feels like a good character to showcase in a first film. The drama is inherent with the struggle over the crown. It's just in the pantheon of DC villains there is something to be said about Manta as an arch-nemesis. In ***SPOILERS TO A STORY DECADES OLD INCOMING*** being the character that killed AM's son and was responsible for the spiral of Arthur's life after he hurt his enemy in a way few sans the Joker killing Jason did, at least compared to a lot of other villains. I don't want to have Manta involved just to check off something from the comics' mythos and because he has a funky cool look.

I can't wait till this cast gets a panel at CC. They all seem so fun and engaging.

Yeah me too. Also, imagine how much fun it will be to be inspired by them for Halloween?

To be honest I think that's likely but it's not a bad thing. All actors should do research IMO

"He's a good choice for Dick. A real up-and-comer."

But yeah. I am dying to see Black Manta. If they get it right, he could be one of the all-time greats as far as CBM villains go.

Agreed, this guy is a Vader-level badass.

I wonder what his origin is? Surely they wouldn't do pirates in the movie? It's a bit of a gross origin story anyway

And now we play the waiting game.

A reveal at Comic Con maybe?

Dying to see Black Manta's full costume. I think he's one of the coolest looking villains in DC. Hopefully on CC...

They're doing a great job to hype this movie. If the cast continues to give us glimpses throughout filming, it will give fans a connection. Especially for a character (Aquaman) that people think is a joke. Ahhhh, can't wait to see more!

The comic-book faithfulness of Mera's costume has me super excited to see Manta.

Yeah I could see someone who has a good eye for design having a lot of fun with the concept

I saw Baywatch the other day and Yahya was so funny in it. Can't wait to see him in action.

It's interesting that two of the best received DC films (batman begins and Wonder Woman) had twists involving the villain. I wonder if they'll do that again?

I would not mind if it turns out Manta is pulling Orm's strings.

Yeah that would be interesting. I suppose we have to think about this taking place after justice league so as far as Orm is concerned his potential replacement already has powerful mates and is coming for a coup so he needs powerful mates too

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"