"You ready for another Bout?"- The Thor/Chris Hemsworth Thread

^ Yeah it was PIS imo, since Iron Man's armors runs on repulsor energy not electricity.

Besides even if it did, this is lightning summoned by The God of Thunder of all people.

The suite uses the repulsor energy to create the electricity it needs to run.

What if after Iron fought Whiplash he upgraded his suit to absorb external sources of electricity instead of starting to short circuit like it did in Ironman 2. In the Ironman Extremis comic mallen short circuited Ironman and Ironman had to absorb the ambient heat around him to give his suit a 1% boost in power.

Whiplash starts to short out his suit in this one.
[YT]hJc_J0gE4-g[/YT]

Mallen short circuits his suit in this one.
[YT]dizQCgXI0wU[/YT]

He absorbs the Heat engery at 1:02
[YT]IKETUZ7vzkc[/YT]

Last edited:
What if after Iron fought Whiplash he upgraded his suit to absorb external sources of electricity instead of starting to short circuit like it did in Ironman 2. In the Ironman Extremis comic mallen short circuited Ironman and Ironman had to absorb the ambient heat around him to give his suit a 1% boost in power.

In the Whiplash clip, it looks like they are trying to represent the flickering you get on your residential lights during a thunderstorm. That flickering results from the interplay of various safety devices throughout the hundreds-of-miles-network activating and then resetting in an attempt to see if the problem was a temporary fault, now cleared. There really wouldn't be an analogous network throughout Iron Man's suit. But it may be that he decides that he should have better paths straight to ground in the event of an external zap.

The other possibility is that they are trying to show some electromagnetic interference (which, come to think of it, is another way Thor can mess with him in the future). So he might upgrade the EMI shielding on the suit. That's plausible.

I wasn't able to find any information about the nature of Mallen's power, other than he can "project arcs of electricity from his hands", which is reflected in the clip you posted.

But "arcs of electricity from his hands" sounds like it would be orders of magnitude less power than a bolt of lightning. So it seems likely to me that even if Stark redesigned his suit to be able to siphon off power during an attack like what we saw Mallen make, it would not mean the suit would be able to do the same with a lightning bolt. I think it would still be too overwhelming.

Now, if he doesn't try to tap the power to recharge himself (and again, it doesn't make sense for him to be hauling around a bunch of storage devices that he ordinarily wouldn't use), he's likely to be okay. It's possible that there isn't enough metal in the suit to route the discharge around him through the suit and to ground (which is what happens with planes). But since he's one of Earth's Mightiest Heroes and they kind of want to keep him around, I'll assume he could survive a direct lightning strike. That's not too much of an assist from the writers.

Transforming heat into electricity while pinned under a car. . .that's a bit more fanciful. He needs some McGuffins from the writers installed into his suit for that.

I think that was obvious. Gauntlets crumpled, helmet dinged and that was Thor only starting to get a bit annoyed...

The 'Thor hitting CA' irritated me. How did Thor know it was vibranium, his blow was to all intent and purposes a death strike.

Last edited:
Now that you mention it that seems a little out of character.

Well I'm not sure that it is so out of character with Thor of early Thor 1 to be so brash . So he's changed, but not *that* much. Still has a temper. ;)

He also gets a smile when he gets hit and bleeds by Hulk in the hanger, still likes a fight, especially if it's a "challenge" (remember the "that's more like it" line in the Frost giants battle, that's the look he had on his face there).

so with that note, that may be part of the reason why Odin has not handed over the throne yet, he's learned a lot from his exile but still has much to learn.

and how dare he try to *nail* Cap!!! :p

Well I'm not sure that it is so out of character with Thor of early Thor 1 to be so brash . So he's changed, but not *that* much. Still has a temper. ;)
.. .
so with that note, that may be part of the reason why Odin has not handed over the throne yet, he's learned a lot from his exile but still has much to learn.

My take on that was that they weren't trying to provide some insight as to his readiness for the throne but rather have a little bit of fun with something that I'm sure some fans have discussed on some message board somewhere: what would happen if Mjolnir connected with vibranium?

Within the context of the story, Thor does not know going into the strike what the vibranium would do, but he certainly would know what Mjolnir would do. So it does kind of seem like he's trying to do significant damage to Midgardians who have thus far shown themselves only to be nuisances, not threats. That does seem out of character to me, especially since he just got done telling Loki how much he loves Midgard. And Loki's scepter isn't around in that scene to explain the departure.

He also gets a smile when he gets hit and bleeds by Hulk in the hanger, still likes a fight, especially if it's a "challenge" (remember the "that's more like it" line in the Frost giants battle, that's the look he had on his face there).

I do like that aspect of his character. Another example from Thor1: "You're big. Fought bigger!"

Does anyone think it was bs that Ironman didn't get fried when he fought Thor.

Its a bit of a deus ex machina, but its a comic appropriate one: one of Tony's regular tricks in the comics when outmatched is "absorb energy from the opponent's attacks."

My take on that was that they weren't trying to provide some insight as to his readiness for the throne but rather have a little bit of fun with something that I'm sure some fans have discussed on some message board somewhere: what would happen if Mjolnir connected with vibranium?

Within the context of the story, Thor does not know going into the strike what the vibranium would do, but he certainly would know what Mjolnir would do. So it does kind of seem like he's trying to do significant damage to Midgardians who have thus far shown themselves only to be nuisances, not threats. That does seem out of character to me, especially since he just got done telling Loki how much he loves Midgard. And Loki's scepter isn't around in that scene to explain the departure.

I do like that aspect of his character. Another example from Thor1: "You're big. Fought bigger!"

and boom goes the dynamite

the HERCUTHOR and THORCULES was some awesome stuff man lol tho how you'd transfer written sound effects to live action is something else.

After Iron Man put up a pretty good fight in the forest, my assumption was that Thor knew he was battling people more powerful than regular midgardians. He probably thought Cap would be just as powerful as IM.

seemed to me like he was going for a knockout blow, not a death strike

After Iron Man put up a pretty good fight in the forest, my assumption was that Thor knew he was battling people more powerful than regular midgardians. He probably thought Cap would be just as powerful as IM.

seemed to me like he was going for a knockout blow, not a death strike

Idk. He was definitally Testing ironman out. Cause ironman held his own. At the end of the fight, thor looked *annoyed* and started crushing his armor, dropping him to the ground in 2 punches and stuff.

That's pretty much what I thought as well. Plus, as far as Thor knew, they were able to take down Loki, so they had to have some level of power.

That's pretty much what I thought as well. Plus, as far as Thor knew, they were able to take down Loki, so they had to have some level of power.

Actually he said they didn't know what they were dealing with ..... so Thor definitely wasn't assuming that.

Actually he said they didn't know what they were dealing with ..... so Thor definitely wasn't assuming that.

And they didn't.

Nor does Thor.

Hell, Loki has a better idea on the tesseract than any of them

And they didn't.

Nor does Thor.

Hell, Loki has a better idea on the tesseract than any of them

You don't think Odin would have briefed Thor about the power of the Tesseract before he sent him down to Midgard?

You don't think Odin would have briefed Thor about the power of the Tesseract before he sent him down to Midgard?

yeah I suppose he could have.

But regarding Cap and Ironman, they certainly didn't. As far as they knew it was a source of unlimmited sustanable energy

I believe the quote to Tony when they first battle on the mountain (if that's what is being referred to here) indicated that Thor was saying that TONY didnt know what he was dealing with (meaning in messing with him and trying to stop him from taking Loki, nothing to do with the Tesseract.)

Thor: Do not touch me again.
Tony Stark: Then don't take my stuff.
Thor: You have no idea what you're dealing with.

unless you are referring to another line I can't think of at the moment.

I believe the quote to Tony when they first battle on the mountain (if that's what is being referred to here) indicated that Thor was saying that TONY didnt know what he was dealing with (meaning in messing with him and trying to stop him from taking Loki, nothing to do with the Tesseract.)

No.

Stark said "then don't take my stuff" ..... he was referring to Loki because Thor nabbed him from the Quinjet. That's when Thor responded that Stark didn't know what he was dealing with aka Loki.

No.

Stark said "then don't take my stuff" ..... he was referring to Loki because Thor nabbed him from the Quinjet. That's when Thor responded that Stark didn't know what he was dealing with aka Loki.

same difference I guess... either way not about the Tesseract. And now that I'm rereading the last few posts, I think something got confused in this conversation somehow. LOL

No.

same difference I guess... either way not about the Tesseract. And now that I'm rereading the last few posts, I think something got confused in this conversation somehow. LOL

ya. I wasn't refferring to a quote haha.

I took Stark's comment, was about Loki. Since Thor took him off the quinjet.

Thor's response, you have no idea what you are dealing with, to me, that was about the whole situation, not just Loki. Loki, and what he plans on doing with the tesseract.

My opinion on stark and cap not knowing much about the tesseract has nothing to do with stark and thor's conversation.

I was just refferring to what they ultimately learned about it.

They still don't know WHAT power it is capable of. Nor do we. All we know, is that a mad alien warlord (Thanos) wanted it, and Loki said, "I have seen the true power of the tesseract, and when I wield it-" then thor cut him off..So personally I think in terms of power, and what it is capable of, there is probably more to the tesseract than just being a portal, and a power source. Sorry for not explaining that in my other post, it was late, I was tired lol.

Though, do you guys think Thor knows who Thanos is?

"I have seen the true power of the tesseract, and when I wield it-"

thor cut him off with "Who showed you this power?"

There was some concern in his voice. It wasn't a "I want to know who manipulated my brother" voice,

it was more of a "I have someone in mind, and I hope to god he isn't the one who showed you this" voice

I think we may find out that Odin has had a throw down in the past with Thanos, to which, he told his son, hence Thor's concern in his voice...this would also again support the theory that Odin has taken the IG from Thanos

Though, do you guys think Thor knows who Thanos is?

"I have seen the true power of the tesseract, and when I wield it-"

thor cut him off with "Who showed you this power?"

There was some concern in his voice. It wasn't a "I want to know who manipulated my brother" voice,

it was more of a "I have someone in mind, and I hope to god he isn't the one who showed you this" voice

I think we may find out that Odin has had a throw down in the past with Thanos, to which, he told his son, hence Thor's concern in his voice...this would also again support the theory that Odin has taken the IG from Thanos

Hmmm, good questions!

I imagine Odin has been briefing Thor about the various potential trouble spots in the universe--part of his continuing efforts to groom him to be king. It's possible Thor had several someones in mind and hoped that it wasn't any of them that manipulated his brother. Assuming Thanos ranks in, say, the top 10 universal threats, then I would say yeah, he does know who he is.

Has Odin tangled with Thanos in the books? (Aside from anything in the Simonson arc, I mean) The only reference I could dig up was some story line where Thor goes insane (which I don't suppose they are going to do here :yay:)

Hmmm, good questions!

I imagine Odin has been briefing Thor about the various potential trouble spots in the universe--part of his continuing efforts to groom him to be king. It's possible Thor had several someones in mind and hoped that it wasn't any of them that manipulated his brother. Assuming Thanos ranks in, say, the top 10 universal threats, then I would say yeah, he does know who he is.

Has Odin tangled with Thanos in the books? (Aside from anything in the Simonson arc, I mean) The only reference I could dig up was some story line where Thor goes insane (which I don't suppose they are going to do here :yay:)

Oh, given the fact that Thanos has literally destroyed the MU in the comics, i think it's safe to say, even his MCU counterpart is certainly a massive universal threat.

And Odin is no match for Thanos with the IG, way out of his league.

Though without it, he is a little to much I'd say.

The only time I can recall them tangling was during blood and thunder..I THINK..not too sure when it was..

but the fight consisted of thanos blasting odin, and it doing nothing to odin. Odin blasting thanos off his feet. Thanos gets up, speaks, odin blasts him, knocks him back, and down again. Thanos gets up, Thanos' attacks were pretty ineffective.. Odin blasts him, thanos waded through a concentrated blast, only to walk up to Odin. I don't remember what happened after that, but Odin blasted Thanos away again. And he was down. Odin complimented him as a worthy adversary and one of his toughest fights in a while, and asked him if he yields (something like that)

Thanos slowly rises to his feet, and says no. Odin goes wide eyed, then warlock and whoever else show up and explain to Odin that they needed his help.

Thanos didn't really have anything for Odin, he WAS taking Odin's attacks without his shield I THINK...but he didn't have enough power to really bother Odin.

He did as good against Odin as someone who isn't another skyfather could do, in my humble opinion. Though, thanos has been upgraded since then, and I think he would be able to hurt odin, but not enough to defeat him.

But generally Odin>Thanos

Though in the MCU i'd bet it will be the other way around, even without the IG

That is the tricky thing isn't it? Especially if Surtur is to appear in the third Thor film and be the one that ends up being responsible for Odin's death. I mean how do you go about establishing Thanos as a threat requiring all of the avengers if Odin could just confront with the guy himself but not have the Avengers there if Surtur is strong enough to kill Odin?

That is the tricky thing isn't it? Especially if Surtur is to appear in the third Thor film and be the one that ends up being responsible for Odin's death. I mean how do you go about establishing Thanos as a threat requiring all of the avengers if Odin could just confront with the guy himself but not have the Avengers there if Surtur is strong enough to kill Odin?

you mean, how do they make thanos a legitimate threat? When Odin is more powerfuul, and in turn, Surtur is more powerful than Odin?

By simply making Thanos more powerful than Odin. With a mind.

Which is why it makes sense to possibly have the whole surtur arc done

you mean, how do they make thanos a legitimate threat? When Odin is more powerfuul, and in turn, Surtur is more powerful than Odin?

By simply making Thanos more powerful than Odin. With a mind.

Which is why it makes sense to possibly have the whole surtur arc done

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Maybe they have Surtur kill Odin per the Simonson arc before Thanos moves on Earth (and, I guess, the rest of the universe)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"