Young Clark Kent wearing the glasses

Discussion in 'Superman Returns' started by Binker, May 5, 2006.

1. Binker Registered

Being a vague history, we all know that Clark Kent as a teenager never wore glasses. Hell, we know that Smallville he didn't. But in the trailer (I should say movie since it is the movie) Young Clark Kent who is in his teens is wearing glasses. The only time Young Clark Kent wore the glasses was as Superboy.

Now, this is just A reference to Superboy, or will they reveal there HAS been a Superboy in the SR timeline?

2. Zor-El Registered

These are very good questions to which i dont know the answers.
    But i think there was a shot in the showest footage of martha handing the 15 yr old clark a pair of glasses. i dont know if thats where the glasses start, or maybe clark just dropped them lol. i guess we'll see.

3. Nivek Registered

I just want to mention, if he did, I would've had alot more stomach for that continuity slaughtering teen drama, with mutant rocks. Just because of details like that.

Personally, if you notice from the footage, he just wears his glasses as a kid in a few scenes. Im more than confident it will be explained in the context of the film.

4. ReporterKent Registered

He starts wearing them after going to an Elivs Costello concert.

5. Milkman95 Movie Extra & Actor

Couldn't agree more - SV NEVER could have made the jump to a feature film. Too many plot holes, character changes, and identity problems.

6. mcflytrap Registered

And ****ty writing and acting...

7. Milkman95 Movie Extra & Actor

I was being nice............sorry I left it out.......

8. The Kid AMERICA FTW

I'd love to see smallville's version of lex luthor kicking ass without all that drama bull**** attached. JUST ONCE one on the big screen, then it's back to hackman's version or whatever.

9. Nivek Registered

Im more than confident a good deal of the negativity comes in part from a jaded SV community of fans.

When I hear people complaining about Supes having relationship issues, and how it's not the character, I dont know where they are coming from. Are these people aware of the characters history? Or Superman being Emo? He cried when Lois died in the first film for petes sake!!!! The guys body is Nigh Indestructible, his emotions are his only weakness. Thats the only way to get to him.

If you want an indestructible, sexless, emotionless, endlessly a$$kicking man of steel, try the Terminator. Hell, he kills people too, so he's perfect. You want Superman, you get his saving the day, but always seporate from everyone else.

10. Nivek Registered

You havn't seen what Spacey does, unless you have seen the film already. Like i said in another post, you havn't seen him in action yet. He could be the best yet.

11. Binker Registered

The other I got in my head that I should mention is that: you know how sometimes sons (like in early ages) would wear something of their father's like shoes, or clothes to model them, same goes for daughters & mothers. Maybe that scene where Ma gives Young Clark that glasses is after Pa Kent's death and the glasses is Pa's and he's wearing them to model himself of his late father.

12. Zor-El Registered

i like that. Thats a great concept :up:

13. Binker Registered

I put this on BlueTights and the reply that I got was that the thought I had of the father glasses is probably the reason, as far as I was told by that member.

Maybe I'll be right. Then again, what other reason could anyone else come up with?

14. M.O.Steel Wayne Inc. Tech Support

wait, didn't his dad die when he was older?? there's even a picture of routh with his father, so where is this coming from? Sounds cool tho, wears father's "clothes" as clark, wears different fathers "clothes" as superman...symbolizing each's impact on who he is.

15. The Kid AMERICA FTW

I don't think I said otherwise. or anything about spacey or "best" version of luthor either. Just what I'd like to see.

16. Nivek Registered

I like that explanation. :up:

17. ETHERSPIN Registered

i remember way back there was some mention of his eyes being an alien blue colour and the glasses toning it down?? this was when we got the first pic with the space ship crashed in tamworth australia

18. Zor-El Registered

i dont know about the movie, but thats the explanation in the origin "Birthright"

19. Immortalfire In the pale moonlight

Young Clark landing on the whatever it is in the field, looked a little too Spidey.

20. Nivek Registered

Umm...

"Leaps tall buildings in a single bound"

21. Binker Registered

Yeah, at his teen age he could only leap. Then later he could fly.

22. Nivek Registered

Actually, with the barn drop, you see his first steps toward flying.

23. bulok Registered

My one theory on the glasses is when Clark starts having his "super vision", he may not be able to control it much, so to him and possibly opticians, could be construed as far sightedness. That could be why he wore glasses. Possibly :)

24. Mentok Registered

I thought it was Martha giving Clark a way to feel more 'human' as he is learning about his powers.

25. The Sage The World's Finest

When Clark was about ten years old he started wearing glasses and purposely acting timid in front of people other than his parents. That was the Kents' idea; it would allay suspicions that Clark was anything but ordinary.

http://superman.ws/thebook/lsok/?chapter=11&language=