your thoughts on Chavs

FreeRadical said:
Ha Ha, I mean't when Charlotte used to date those two chavs, and Britney is married to K-fed. They could do better if they wanted to. Charlotte's new boyfriend is just as bad. Men should not shave their entire body, getting tanned and spending 2 hours getting ready:down .

True that's very metro...

Theres no way in hell I would wear a pink t-shirt. Every clothes shop I have been to has pink jumpers, t-shirts, shirts etc for men.

Next thing, mini-skirts for men :eek:

Yeah TOPMAN and TOPSHOP is Chav central for fashion....

My home town is infested with chavs. Me and a couple of my mates are the only ones who haven't turned into one of them. not all working class people are chavs.

chamber-music said:
My home town is infested with chavs. Me and a couple of my mates are the only ones who haven't turned into one of them. not all working class people are chavs.

Very true right now a few plumbers, builders etc.. are real people who are cashing in on the need in the trade.

FreeRadical said:
Ha Ha, I mean't when Charlotte used to date those two chavs, and Britney is married to K-fed. They could do better if they wanted to. Charlotte's new boyfriend is just as bad. Men should not shave their entire body, getting tanned and spending 2 hours getting ready:down .
Gah, I meant Charlotte has Gavin, not Britney. He's not chav. He is very orange, for sure, but I wouldn't label him chav.

LexCorp said:
Not necessarily. Those shops are just very commercial to what is around at the time, hence chav fashion features. A lot of stuff in there are your normal t-shirts and jeans.

LexCorp said:

Your talking Bollocks. One minute a chav uniform is Burbury baseball caps and tracksuit bottoms tucked into socks, now it's everything in Topman. So everyone who buys clothes from there is a Chav??

The Englishman said:
Your talking Bollocks. One minute a chav uniform is Burbury baseball caps and tracksuit bottoms tucked into socks, now it's everything in Topman. So everyone who buys clothes from there is a Chav??

Agreed

Taken from another forum I belong to is this excellent discourse on why people labelling others are a little bit confused.

I am so sick of hearing about this ****. Alright, I get the joke: poverty is big ****ing laugh, and anyone who gets ideas above their station (for instance, saves money to buy Burberry gear) is clearly readying themselves for social ridicule. This pathetic, obnoxious middle-class party conversation point is so openly class-supremacist that pointing it out defeats satire. Take this website, which describes the poor who have to eat at McDonalds and whose only social frisson is donning branded sports gear as "Britain's new ruling class". What a service to the actual ruling class that is - those who are accoutured in bespoke suits and leather loafers, whose teeth are perfectly formed, and whose fingers and nails are perpetually manicured.

"Chavscum", as the website is so enlighteningly named, is replete with working class vulgarity that university educated, sneering, 'ironic' liberals can guffaw about. The images are the most potent message, and they do a better job at relaying class-hatred than all of New Labour's subliminal messages about the deserving and undeserving poor ever could. If Blair wanted to justify benefit cuts, he could not say himself that the poor only spend this money on bookies, pubs and drugs. He would have to rely on liberal intellectuals like David Aaronovitch to do it for him. (Delegating nastiness is New Labour's modus operandi). And if he wanted to jusify ASBOs, on-the-spot fines and tougher rules to put them **** out, he'd have no better alibi than this ridiculous cultural pustulation about 'chavs'. And of course, multinationals who purvey mythologies about 'real' brands are immensely assisted by those who deride 'chavs' for wearing 'counterfeit' clothing or jewellery (as if the brand itself was anything more than a signifier of 'authenticity').

Oh, their scorn for the working class woman who happens to be either up the duff or with child is most amusing. (Single mothers, too, deserve to have their benefits cut.) If such a woman dyes her hair and pulls it back in a pony tail, this is known either as a 'Croydon facelift' or a 'council house facelift'. If she pushes a pram along, she is a 'pramface'. This naked and unadorned hatred for the working class could not be made more apparent by adornment, and yet it is accepted because the stilleto knife is coated with the unction of 'satire' before slid between the ribs. Poisonous as it is, the main point is that someone who isn't me is having the piss taken out of them. **** comics like Jimmy Carr make a living out of that. You can be as vile as you like about fat women, mother-in-laws and even members of your audience, provided it is presented on the prettifying chopping board of irony. 'Little Britain', similarly, provides an 'ironic' veneer for social resentment (of 'chavs', wheelchair layabouts, gays etc), validating the undercurrents of hatred that it purports to satirise.

This is the striking thing about the 'chavs' phenomena - its micro-progenitors are often middle class 'liberals', racist, classist and ignorant to the very marrow, yet who operate under the strange illusion that they are enlightened, liberal, anti-racist while it is their designated 'chavs' who are racist, sexist, vulgar etc.

The discourse is notable for one other curiosity - it 'ethnicises' poverty. K-Punk asked some while back: "Why is it that the desire to eliminate poverty - which, presumably, we all share - inevitably becomes a desire to eliminate the poor? It is because, in capitalist ideology, poverty has to be thought of as an ethnic, rather than a social or economic, trait? The poor are those who are genetically destined to fail, those who lack 'middle-class skills' as the Herald and Tribune put it the other day". The very word 'chav' appears to derive from the 'gypsy' word 'chavo' meaning 'little person'. It has long been used in the South East, and has now become a chic reference for 'culturally aware' apolitical liberals. Often it is the same people who indulge in gypsy-bashing who retail the schtick. They also seem to be the same who purvey and circulate the hysteria about "hoodies". Much of the e-mail traffic in workplaces is saturated with knowing references to this sort of ****. Office workers, unaware that they are allowed their e-mail and internet usage as a means of releasing job resentment, indulge in it as if it were slightly subversive and witty. And the news media, forever amused by the sumptuary proclivities of the working class, feed off this meme when they illustrate their stories about late night drinking with footage of some pissed women falling on their arses and disporting themselves across the pavement.

I can't say I wish these fervid nightmarish imaginings about the working class (violent, drunk, uncouth, branded, depoliticised, unsophisticated, thuggish etc) were expressed more honestly. Because they couldn't be expressed more honestly. It is exhibited in front of your very nose, and you are invited to revel in it. The victims of the Thatcherite purge on welfare and unions, of the atomisation and deprivation that this has produced, are now to be endlessly mocked for their condition, and this is authorised by the hilarity about "chavs". What a larf.

- Whirly

The Englishman said:

Not bollocks those shops are aimed at 12 year olds Chavs!!

LexCorp said:
Not bollocks those shops are aimed at 12 year olds Chavs!!
Oh they are not. Allsports. JJB Sports. Those are the shops you find the chavs hunting in, not Topman. Topman is much more of a student type shop.

I am so sick of hearing about this ****. Alright, I get the joke: poverty is big ****ing laugh, and anyone who gets ideas above their station (for instance, saves money to buy Burberry gear) is clearly readying themselves for social ridicule. This pathetic, obnoxious middle-class party conversation point is so openly class-supremacist that pointing it out defeats satire.
Oh what rubbish.

How is saving up money for expensive clothes getting ideas above your station? It's not about the money, but the type of clothes.

Avalanche said:
Oh they are not. Allsports. JJB Sports. Those are the shops you find the chavs hunting in, not Topman. Topman is much more of a student type shop.

Too true, Allsports here is chav central along with all places that sell stone island. I may be abit dense here but why is Beckham a chav? He's a fashion icon but for Chavs? Unless Sarongs and Gucci T-shirts are the new look this season. I mean Peter Andre and Jordan are chav, they got married at disneyland in pink for gods sake! But Beckham promotes non chav brands and plays for the most prestigious football team in the world.

If we're talking celebrity chav couples look no further then Cheryl Tweedy and Ashley Cole! Though I don't know gow chavs would view Ashleys mobile phone habits....

Avalanche said:

I agree with you dude. :up:

kit1982 said:
If we're talking celebrity chav couples look no further then Cheryl Tweedy and Ashley Cole! Though I don't know gow chavs would view Ashleys mobile phone habits....
More to the point, I'd like to know what Cheryl thinks of his mobile phone habits.

Avalanche said:
More to the point, I'd like to know what Cheryl thinks of his mobile phone habits.

She was probably the person ringing it! I can't believe what that guy has done to her, i mean to play hoover with both Jermaine Jenas and Kieron Dyer for £5,000! He's then seen leaving nightclubs with 2 mysterious blondes, yet the daft geordie turns a blindeye!

kit1982 said:
She was probably the person ringing it! I can't believe what that guy has done to her, i mean to play hoover with both Jermaine Jenas and Kieron Dyer for £5,000! He's then seen leaving nightclubs with 2 mysterious blondes, yet the daft geordie turns a blindeye!
I think she just wants to be part of the whole celebrity couple thing, whatever the cost. A little cheap, but hey, if she can put up with her guy sliding his mobile down the pants of other men then who are we to judge. :p

Avalanche said:
I think she just wants to be part of the whole celebrity couple thing, whatever the cost. A little cheap, but hey, if she can put up with her guy sliding his mobile down the pants of other men then who are we to judge. :p

Its amazing what people will do for fame, she's the biggest laughing stock. I mean she should just stick with her "beating up ethnic minorities in club toilets" tag. Its amazing noones been able to displace Posh and Becks even when Becks has..well you know been playing away from home if you know what I mean.

The Storm said:
What are your thoughts on Goldie Looking Chain?

I like em, especially when England played wales in cardiff and they dedicated "oh son your misses is a nutter" to Beckham! but I think some people don't seem to realise that they are taking the mick out of the chav culture. They've got their own film coming out soon though I would guess the end is near for them.

That song is funny, good one to dedicate it to Becks! A movie?! Bad move...

kit1982 said:
Its amazing what people will do for fame, she's the biggest laughing stock. I mean she should just stick with her "beating up ethnic minorities in club toilets" tag. Its amazing noones been able to displace Posh and Becks even when Becks has..well you know been playing away from home if you know what I mean.
What annoys me is that they still deny all that. I'd rather they say, yes, David had an affair, or two, but we're going to try and work through it for the children.

But no, they just denied it.

Like she denied her boob job.

Assassin said:
The only good things IMO to com eout of England are Ali G and Mr Bean..I'm sure you have alotta good things, but them two are all i care about lol

You'rè ******ed

G and Bean suck.

And Britain has hot womèn.

Avalanche said:
Oh what rubbish.

How is saving up money for expensive clothes getting ideas above your station? It's not about the money

Thats the point of the post.

Your comment about the type of clothes a "chav" chooses to buy is an example of ridiculing another group and saying they have no tase because it's not what you choose to wear.

- Whirly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"