Comics Your Top 10 Spider-Man Stories

Honorable Mentions

In addition to my original list, here are a two stories that I think deserve to be recognized.

028.jpg

Now I know a lot of people here don't think to highly of Carnage, but I like this character. Mostly for the stories which are actually decent, like his origin arc. But I think "The Moral Past" stands out quite well. I think the story is well written, Carnage/Cletus is certainly written well and follows a good plot. This story actually gives Carnage some humanity. I recommend this to anyone.

013.jpg

Scorpion kidnapped Jonah, Luke Cage and Iron Fist star in this story alongside Spider-Man? What more could you want?

Ah-HAH! So I'm not the only one who loved that Scorpion issue!! I posted that cover in some other favorites thread recently.

As for Carnage, I just plain do not get what's so bad about him. I love the guy. He's like Spider-Man's Joker, all maniac, all payoff. Who the hell cares about depth and all that rhetorical neo-age criticism garbage. He's pure fun.

Agreed, JayTee!

Regardless, I wanted to post these two comics up because I felt they deserve a mention.

:up:

Oh this looks to be a good bit o' fun (spoilers will be in my descriptions probably)...

10: The Spectacular Spider-man 14

SpectacularSpider-Man277.jpg

This issue was already mentioned methinks, but it still deserves its place here. This is a heart warming tale of Joey Beal, a disabled man confined to a wheelchair, unable of communication. Jenkins does this issue superbly. Joey spends alot of time by himself up on a rooftop, and we're left to learn about him and ultimately sympathise for him. Soon a fanatastic and under-used villain, Morbius finds his way onto the rooftop, and has a classic dialouge that really gives you the evil feel as he preys on Joey.

Peter soon turns up, slamming into the vampire's face. And that's the first thing I loved about this issue, spending all the time with Joey means that when Spider-man turns up, he really does feel like a knight in shining armor. Normally, we'll follow him as he whines about this and that, and we'll see some generic, screaming civillans, saved in the nick of time. Here its completely different, because we care about the fate of this character, and the absence of Spider-man is unsetteling.

A fantastic battle ensues, Spider-man ultimately winning. Its not until he comes back to Joey that this issue really hits its mark. This really shows Peter for what he is, the nicest guy on all the earth, getting continuously kicked around by life. Theough Joey's eyes, we're led to sympathise for him, just like we had done with Joey earlier.

When you see Peter take off his mask and smile, its the perfect moment, showing him to be a real hero, standing strong under such circumstances. This issue is an emotional powerhouse, and easily the best in the short second volume of Specatular. the moody, realistic art only furthered its brilliance.

9: Spider-man Unlimited 3 - An Obituary for Octopus

Spider-ManUnlimited03.jpg

Origin issues for villains are usually generic and boring. It'll be a villain sittting all on his lonesome, wondering where it all went wrong. Not with Doc Ock. This issue is pure classic. It takes us through the inteesting origin of the young Otto Octavius, son to an over protective Mother and a poor Father. It leads us to understand why Doc Ock is Doc Ock, what kind of twisted life he had that led him to being a monster.

The selfish act of his mother drives him away from his beautiful fiancee and his happiness. It all builds up until he catches his Mother preparing to go out. Enraged, Octopus screams at her, denying him happiness while she goes out. It results in a heart attack, leaving the Doc by himself.

While this story is being told an full on battle between Spider-man and the good Doctor is taking place. Its a classic story and fight between the two, Spider-man trying to figure out what the evil genius is up to, Ock swatting him away like an annyoing fly. The big twist however, is that Dr. Octopus is not trying to destroy the city, he's trying to save his former fiancee from AIDs.

He ultimately fails, leading Spider-man, and the reader into shock at seeing this mighty figure crumple emotionally. Its a real hard hitter of an issue and my favorite Doc Ock story.

8: Spider-man/Human Torch Limited Series

Spider-ManHumanTorch1.JPG

In a time where all we Spider-fans could do was moan at the current situation of the character (some things never change), here was a wonderful set of 5 issues taking Spider-man back to the good ol' 80s (but in a good way Mr. Q), producing some hilarious and exciting stories from the brilliant genius of Dan Slott.

The best of the bunch is issue 3, featuring the return of the Spider-mobile. Never in my (Deadpool reading) comic experience have I read an issue as funny as this. Johnny tires to teach Peter how to drive, but what results is a hilarious issue of banter and squabbling. When you throw in a fight with super-apes, what more could you ask for? It was an outstanding issue that I read time and time again, and was proof you didn't need to go and make ground shaking arcs every 5 seconds to get a good story these days (far from it infact).

The fifth and final issue should also be noted as it finally reveals Peter to the Torch. At the end of 4 brilliant issue of friendship, it was just right to see the two clear the last obstical, I only hope BND doesn't mean that Torch is now oblivious again. Kudos for the 80s like art too.

This is a big on, I'll make it one post...

7: Spider-man's Tangled Web 10 - Ray of Light

Spider-MansTangledWeb10.jpg

The first of my Electro issues to make the list is very much like Spectacular Spider-man 14. The issue takes place in the living room of Jack and Kasey, two kids with a sick Mother in bed. Kasey, the younger of the two is watching Insect Man, a cartoon that clearly copies Spider-man fighting Electrocutioner (three guess as to who that's meant to be). Jack is having a very hard time, he gets turned down by a girl on the phone and is clearly upset.

He starts picking on the things Kasey likes to feel powerful, super heroes, comics, toys etc. Jack comments on their Dad leaving them, and is clearly bitter about the fact he left nothing for Jack, but a bunch of comics for Kasey. Being the younger one here, Kasey represents the innocence of youth beautifully. He's just a cheerful kid who wnats to watch cartoons. Jack is an angry, confused young adult who can't seem to catch a break.

Jack take's Kasey's Insect Man figure and holds it above him, represting his power over Kasey, and his misuse of that power. Before Jack can say Kasey will never be tall enough to grab the toy, the wall explodes. The two stare at the gap were the TV once stood, now looking out over New York. Kasey turns his head round to find Spider-man in a heap on the floor.

Jack immeadiately takes charge, standing over Kasey, showing his true colors, and love for his brother. Kasey wants to aid Spider-man, but Jack wants to ring the poilce. The two are interrupted by Electro, shoving them out of the way and preparing to kill Spider-man. Jack and Kasey seek refuge behind the couch, but Kasey throws his Insect Man figure, hitting Max on the back of the head and distracting him. Kasey stands up to Electro, who zaps him to the floor. Seeing his little brother hurt, Jack jumps into action.

Max mocks him, then goes to shock him. A web connects with his finger, and Spider-man reels in the punches, beating the snot out of Electro. With Max down, Peter turns his attention to the kids, asking after their parents. When Kasey tells him him about their Father, Spider-man apologises and says he can relate. Jack challenges him, but Peter burshes it off, producing his rent, stashed inside his costume. He hands it over to Jack.

That's my favorite part of his issue right here, like Peter smiling for Joey in Spectacular 14, he hands over his rent, no matter how badly he needs it. I've never respected the character more than at that point.

Jack erupts, and asks if giving them $500 after he put a hole through their wall and nearly got them killed was just meant to make everything okay. Peter's answer is beautiful. "No. It's not." you couldn't ask for a more perfect answer in Marvel's world of realism if you ask me. Peter tries, he tries to very hard, and when he doesn't peform with 100% results, all he can say is he can't make everything okay, no matter how much he wants to.

Electro on his shoulder, Spider-man leaves, saying all he can do in life is "Hope everything works out.", which is what we've seen Spider-man do for 45 years, ride on hope. Kasey turns back to the television, Jack sitting down next to him as a mock of the classic 60's tune plays for Insect Man.

Honestly, there's too much to say about this issue. The art is the best I've ever seen, the emotion is incredibly powerful, the action is tough and gritty, and its a stunning reminder that life doesn't go to plan.

How deep it goes is incredible. How the title "Ray of Light" links to the kids being surrounded in darkness, only to meet day light when Spider-man turns up, signifying hope. How the wall blows up exactly where the T.V. was, the characters coming seemingly into real life. The amount of depth and representation here is just fantastic, this is an all round stunning issue of Spider-man.

6: Peter Parker, Spider-man 37 (Volume 2) - Snow day

Spider-Man135.jpg

Returning to the light side, this is an enjoyable, fresh issue, much like the Spider-man/Human Torch series. Peter makes his way to Aunt May's house in the New York snow. Suited up, he scales the city with difficulty, hitting the floor, only to be barraged with snow balls by kids. He curses them under his breath, and moves on.

He soon runs into the Vulture, escaping a jewel heist. What follows is a classic battle, mixed with the funniest Spider-man banter I've ever read. This is something ripped straight out of the 80s with the writing of a Deadpool comic. To this day it shows that amoungst the rubbish, we can find gems.

Spider-man eventually persuades the Vulture to meet him later, where they first fought, as Spider-man is on a time limit at that moment. Hours later, Spider-man is crouching on a pole, shivering as he waits for Vulture. He turns up late, calling Spider-man an idiot as he's sitting in the place of their second battle. That made me laugh. A lot.

Toomes is quick to point a gun to Spider-man's head. Peter seems oddly calm, we find out why when the Torch slams into Vulture, burning up his wings. They watch as he falls, arguing who has to go and save him.

Some may consider this an odd issue to find the number 6 spot, but there's nothing quite as refreshing as reading this issue. Its mix of action and comedy is just right. Full marks in my book.

5: The Amazing Spider-man 30-34 + 38 (Volume 2) - Morlun and "The Conversation"

AmazingSpider-Man476.jpg

Being successive issues, I thought these stories deserved the same spot. The Morlun arc gets this place purely for the fantastic and out right brutal fight between him and Spider-man. This is an all out battle out endurance, and its a brilliant testement to Peter's strength and determination.

Throughout the day long battle, we see Spider-man deny death, accept it, challenge it, and ultimately, defy it once more. He fights the hardest battle he has ever thought and comes out on top. Morlun is this heartless, immortal bastard, and Peter goes at him with everything he's got, sacrifycing everything to protect civillians. It makes you proud of his character, seeing him in such a state and still going.

With Venom, a villain was created that Spider-man was scarred of, Morlun went a step ahead of him. Its just a shame his second appearance belongs to one of the worst Spider-man arcs in history.

It also led to a fantastic issue called "The Conversation". If you read my Brand New Day rant, you'll know how much I respect this issue for what it did to Aunt May. It justifyed bringing her back from the dead, and took the character we've known for 37 years, and made her a strong, interesting character.

Aunt May tries to forgive Peter for lying to her all these years about being Spider-man, but what adds to her character is that fact that she simply couldn't, something unexpected from a character like this.

Poor JMS, he once promised so much, but his 7 year run can only really be highlighted with the first few issues, and thanks to Brand New Day, they mean nothing at all.

I was just about to mention Ray of Light. Tangled Web had some of the best Spidey stories ever in it's short run. Flowers for Rhino, The one where one of Kingpin's men messed up on a job due to Spidey and has to spend his last few moments alive with his wife, and my favorite, even more than Ray of Light: Gentlemen's Agreement.

Wow Electro UK, we both have the same #5 story. Glad to see I'm not the only one who loved JMS' early issues. :woot:

4: Spider-man 38-40 - Light the Night

Spider-Man040.jpg

Yeesh, what an ugly cover. Thank god this fantastic story of an insecure Electro more than made up for it. Every one of Spider-man's thug type enemies has had something to add to their seemingly generic character structure, but none worked quite as well as Light the Night, seeing Electro trying to gain the power and attention he thought he deserved, by taking in a massive amount of electricity.

The final issue sees every man, woman and child in New Yok gazing up to the rooftop where Electro literally lights the night. When Spider-man eventually shows up, Max swats him away. In his absence, Electro takes in too much power, he realises that he's gone too far. When Peter makes his way back to the top, he finds a broken and desperate Max Dillon begging for his help.

At first, Max is nervous, convinced Spider-man won't be able to help, he goes into his childhood, about being left alone, being picked on. Its the first insight we have into Max's childhood, and it enticed me to find out more about him. A fantastic arc, and the first look into the man behind the Electro mask.

3: Marvel Knights Spider-man 3 - Down Among the Dead Men part 3

MKSpiderman03.JPG

Sometimes, all you need for a fantastic issue is a fantastic villain, in a fantastic battle, kicking some fantastic ass (that came out wrong). Marvel Knights Spider-man 3 did more justice to Electro than any other issue ever had. Simply put, he walked all over Spider-man. Ionizing metal, killing kids, there was little Electro didn't do to beat Spider-man this time round, except of course use his brain.

A pretty shallow issue, maybe some would argue it doesn't deserve a place on this list, let alone the number 3 spot, but for a big Electro fan, there's not much else I can ask for... except for Millar not screwing around with his sexual orientation that is.

2: The Amazing Spider-man 122 - The Goblin's Last Stand

AmazingSpider-Man122.jpg

Well I have to put a classic in there somewhere right? Screw you Gwen, I'm going for the Goblin's death! Ultimately, the scene of Spider-man walking away from the Goblin, head hung as Norman lay impaled to the wall will never leave my mind. It was Spider-man's first big lesson after the death of Uncle Ben, revenge isn't right.

The cover is a classic depcition of good vs evil, making Spider-man seem small and the Goblin big and strong. This goes down as one of everybodie's favorites. I don't need to say much on this one, you know why you love it.

Wow Electro UK, we both have the same #5 story. Glad to see I'm not the only one who loved JMS' early issues. :woot:

Classic set of issues, I read them all the time. :up:

Guh... I've been writing this thing for about 2 hours, I've got a head ache. :(

Only one more to go though...

1: The Amazing Spider-man 422-425 - The Rebirth of Electro

AmazingSpider-Man422.jpg

AmazingSpider-Man425Back.jpg
AmazingSpider-Man425.jpg

Yes! The best Electro story is unsurprisingly my favorite Spider-man story of all time. We fit so much of Max Dillon into these issues. We firstly get his origin story, telling the tale created in Light the Night. Max Dillon, an abandoned child, a Father who left him, a Mother who died on him, and a wife who divorced him.

Electro's tale is a classic sob story, that sets him apart from other villains in the Marvel Universe, and actually makes us sympathise with the character we met 43 or so years ago as a selfish individual. Its one of the things that made me appreciate the character so much.

Anyways, we move on from this, to when Max actually powers up, and becomes (in my opinion) Spider-man's most powerfull villain. The first time round they battle in this arc, Spider-man begs Electro not to kill him. He has never done that before, and he probably never will do again. It was shocking to see the character we'd always seen triumph (eventually) plead not to be killed.

What follows is Spider-man bent on finding Electro and setting it straight. He wants his dignity back, and Electro doesn't just throw it to him. This is a powerhouse thrill ride that doesn't stop (bar the annoying Elektra issue) until Spider-man recruit Nate Grey and takes on a rubber suit. Nothing shows off Electro better than this fantastic arc.

Ultimately, it shows us Max's devotion, and how its imporved since the man who was too lazy to push his career forward. Defetaed, he plunges himself into the river, which could have very easily killed him. This was Electro at its finest, and the most I've have enjoyed reading a Spider-man arc.

Thanks Cap. :up:

Oh and thanks to Donald Thomas too (if he ever reads this) if it wasn't for his site, I would have never read the Electro rebirth arc anyways. Its bloody hard to track down. :(

Some good ol' honourable mentions (think of it as what would have filled the other spots).

Daredevil 8 (Volume 2) - The Devil's Deliverance

dd8_L.jpg

This is pretty much the epilogue to "Guardian Devil", a fantastic Daredevil arc starring Mysterio, who takes his own life in the previous issue. Matt dwells in depression in this issue at the lost of his girlfriend, Karen all because of Mysterio's games.

Peter is the person who shines in this issue however. At first, he feels responsible for Mysterio's death, like he could have guided Beck away from where he ended up. It proves that Peter hurts himself too much sometimes, which is why characters like Mary-Jane are there to pick him up again.

Peter and Matt later meet up on the bridge as their alter-egos. Peter tries to comfort Matt, but Daredevil goes into a rant on how people like Spider-man and himself are liars, because they promise to stop the madness, but people like Quentin Beck stop them. When he finally comes to a close, Peter only has one thing to say to him. He reminds him that through all the madness of the last couple of issues, he did one crucial thing, he saved a babies life.

That simple reminder takes Daredevil right out of his depression. This issue serves as a brilliant example of interaction between other super heros, and how they save each other on different terms. In terms of aftermath issues, this is one of the best, and it shows Peter to be a hero on more levels than one.

The Amazing Spider-man 316 - Dead Meat!

AmazingSpider-Man316.jpg

Classic cover, classic story. We've talked about Peter's outstanding willpower, but he's a point where it reaches its limits as he runs out of fear. Peter has never done that before, and it really adds to Venom's character to see the long loved hero finally be afraid of someone. An excellent, action packed issue that stands as my favorite Venom appearance.

Thanks Cap. :up:

Oh and thanks to Donald Thomas too (if he ever reads this) if it wasn't for his site, I would have never read the Electro rebirth arc anyways. Its bloody hard to track down. :(

Aloha,
You're very welcome.
Spidey rules

Oh and thanks to Donald Thomas too (if he ever reads this)

(Donald read it! It just took two years. :oldrazz: )

Of issues not mentioned already, I would throw in Sensational Spider-Man #8 (vol 1) by Dezago and 'Ringo as Spider-Ben faces off against the Looter (love the art and sense of fun), the Paul Jenkins Webspinners story where Chameleon confesses his love for Peter and then jumps off a bridge, Spec Spider-Man #189 with Goblin Harry kidnapping his own family and taking them to the Osborn estate (loved that awkward dinner with Harry and Peter in costume), "Whatever happened to Crusher Hogan?" from the 80's (I forget if that was Amazing, Spec or Web), the Sin-Eater storyline, the Mad Dog Ward storyline, the original Carnage 3-parter (pretty much the only good Carnage story there is), "Blood Brothers" (because it was great seeing both Ben and Peter have their lives dismantled piece by piece... much better and more suspenseful than Revelations), Amazing Spider-Man #350 with Peter getting concussed and still taking on Doctor Doom, and Spectacular #250 with Osborn tricking Pete into beating him up on camera. And also all the stories that everyone already mentioned. Many, many other great ones, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Hey Blader....! Good Choice for a topic we can all like, (or debate spidey in a more exciting way.) :yay:

And which way do you think that's going to go? :cwink:

Great idea for a topic, Blader!

That said, let's get this out of the way. Anyone with this for a list?

4. I Am The Spider/Peter Parker No More Spidey turns his back on Pete and his whole character to concentrate on the brooding dark avenger that is the Spider, just as Frank Miller & Tim Burton envisioned him!

3. The Other Pete dies and becomes an actual giant spider . . . for the third time! And now he can compete with Wolverine!

2. Sins Past A beautiful retelling of a previous untold tale of Gwen Stacy!

1. One More Day Nothing says heroism as much as making deals with the Devil... nuff said!

I was going to add the Clone Saga and it's reveal that we haven't been reading the correct character for the past 20 years, but they switched it and I was going to add Pete's drunken (on ginger ale!) hook-up with Michelle, but I didn't want to open that can of worms again (oops, did I open it? :csad:)

Seriously, I want to look back and find the stories that I really enjoyed reading throughout his history, and not just the obvious stories (but, to be sure it includes stuff like the Death of Gwen Stacy & Green Goblin, just look at my Avatar!) I will look through and come back with my list.

(Donald read it! It just took two years. :oldrazz: )

Of issues not mentioned already, I would throw in Sensational Spider-Man #8 (vol 1) by Dezago and 'Ringo as Spider-Ben faces off against the Looter (love the art and sense of fun)

I loved the Dezago/Wieringo run! Like you said they were real fun and the art was great! It is so sad we will never get that combo again. 'Ringo is surely missed. R.I.P. :csad:

In no particular order

-Maximum Carnage (Blood/guts/mayhem...everything that makes a good Spider-Man story.)

-Maximum Clonage (Wow. The Jackal has to be one of the most well written and deep villains in comic history. His brilliant puns still make me think deeply about life.)

-Gathering of Five/Final Chapter ( Where to begin? Great storytelling, great pacing, loved the introduction of Mattie Franklin, Norman/Goblin has never been portrayed better. I loved his whole melt everyone in the world plot. The Gobby/Spidey battle was epic. And of course the return of Aunt May. I thought we were going to be in for a disappointment, having baby may alive and well. I mean what kind of young hip people have children anyways. Definitely rectifies that travesty that was Amazing Spider-Man 400, by far the worst thing to come out of the Clone Saga.)

-Lifetheft (I think we can all relate to having loved ones come back from the dead only to find out that they are actually killer robots designed to destroy us.)

-Sins Past (Bout time they exposed Gwen Stacy as that two timing ****e I always suspected she was.)

-The Other (My only complaint is that this series wasn't long enough.)

-Spider-Man Chapter One (a brilliant re-imagining, i never could buy that anyone could get superpowers from an event not related to a massive explosion.)

-Sins Remembered (Wow, I just didn't think you could top Sins Past as far as awesome goes, but once again Marvel proved me wrong.)

-Revelation of the Green Goblin 5 (the one that melted, I was blown away, I thought it was gonna be something lame like Phil Urich or maybe even the return of Harry Osborn, but no they brought out the big guns and made it an anonymous clone thing)

-One More Day. ('Nuff said.)

Last edited:
Ha ha, vegeta21. I see you added some to what was my "list." I was fully going to include some of those, but I knew some people liked Maximum Carnage, so I didn't add it (and Lifetheft was what led to "I Am the Spider/Peter No More")

Seriously, I will get back with my list.

Ha ha, vegeta21. I see you added some to what was my "list." I was fully going to include some of those, but I knew some people liked Maximum Carnage, so I didn't add it (and Lifetheft was what led to "I Am the Spider/Peter No More")

Seriously, I will get back with my list.

Truth be told I wrote this post before I saw your list. I guess we just both appreciate those awesome stories.

Truth be told I wrote this post before I saw your list. I guess we just both appreciate those awesome stories.

:up: You know it! Make Mine Marvel! :oldrazz:

Seriously, I'll get to that list!

2: The Amazing Spider-man 122 - The Goblin's Last Stand

AmazingSpider-Man122.jpg

Well I have to put a classic in there somewhere right? Screw you Gwen, I'm going for the Goblin's death! Ultimately, the scene of Spider-man walking away from the Goblin, head hung as Norman lay impaled to the wall will never leave my mind. It was Spider-man's first big lesson after the death of Uncle Ben, revenge isn't right.

The cover is a classic depcition of good vs evil, making Spider-man seem small and the Goblin big and strong. This goes down as one of everybodie's favorites. I don't need to say much on this one, you know why you love it.

You know this will be on my list. Can't you tell? :woot:

I didn't wanna make a whole new thread, but could you guys throw out some good Lizard stories?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"