Comics Favorite Peter/MJ moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite Pete/MJ moment is yet to come: Pete remembers the Mephisto moment. Loki finally discharges his debt to Pete: time reverses. The sniper gets Aunt May in his sights. MJ leaps in front of May, taking the bullet in the heart. MJ dies. Pete once again faces loss, tragedy. Aunt May makes him wheat cakes and Pete remembers why he vowed never to marry, never to bring others within his circle of danger. He blames himself for failing to protect MJ. Once again, Pete experiences the weight of loss.

My favorite Pete/MJ moment is yet to come: Pete remembers the Mephisto moment. Loki finally discharges his debt to Pete: time reverses. The sniper gets Aunt May in his sights. MJ leaps in front of May, taking the bullet in the heart. MJ dies. Pete once again faces loss, tragedy. Aunt May makes him wheat cakes and Pete remembers why he vowed never to marry, never to bring others within his circle of danger. He blames himself for failing to protect MJ. Once again, Pete experiences the weight of loss.

I dont think thats terrible. I would prefer that MJ survive but its really the most realistic way to end the marriage.

Every time I see Aunt May I'm reminded of OMD. Heh, I blame the old hag for everything. There is no point to having her in the comics right now. JMS wrote a damn good Aunt May, but the character is past her time already. She's bringing absolutely nothing to the title.

Every time I see Aunt May I'm reminded of OMD. Heh, I blame the old hag for everything. There is no point to having her in the comics right now. JMS wrote a damn good Aunt May, but the character is past her time already. She's bringing absolutely nothing to the title.

She's Peter's "Mom"... she has every right and reason to be in the books...

:huh: :huh: :huh:

:yay:

She's Peter's "Mom"... she has every right and reason to be in the books...

:huh: :huh: :huh:

:yay:

When JMS handled her it was different, because she was actually interesting. Now her character isn't adding anything to the title. She's Peter's mom and Marvel needs to cut the cord :oldrazz:.

Spectacular Spider-Man #194:
spec194.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #406
amz406.jpg

I hate JQ with a passion. At least Stan "The Man" Lee still understands Spidey .

spiderman.gif

She's Peter's mom whose doing absolutely nothing but taking up pages.

There's two living characters in comics that have far out stayed their purpose in the mythos of those books and those are Aunt May and Professor Xavier. They've both done everything they possibly could as characters. They were great, but really they are doing absolutely nothing new or interesting and it's just better to give them a profound farewell and let the characters live on without them.

Aunt May is a constant reminder to Peter that Uncle Ben is gone and it is his fault. Killing her off was stupid, and letting her know his secret was just as stupid.

To overlook Aunt May's importance is to dismiss Peter's responsibility and guilt.

That said- My favorite Peter and MJ moment is her closing the door after Gwen died.

I think the fact that y'know Uncle Ben is even dead at all is enough of a reason/reminder of why Peter does what he does. He'd still remember that even if Aunt May was gone.

I think the fact that y'know Uncle Ben is even dead at all is enough of a reason/reminder of why Peter does what he does. He'd still remember that even if Aunt May was gone.

Agreed.

If a character is adding nothing to a title, then that character should go. I prefer the edgier version of Aunt May (USM and JMS interpretation) over this version. Personally, I skip over most of her panels in ASM nowadays. It's not good or interesting reading. Her character has become stale, boring and needs to move on.

But to each his own. If it was up to me, Aunt May would have stayed gone after ASM #400. :o

I like Aunt May for some of the reasons listed above, mostly that she serves as a reminder of Peter's earliest failure. I would have been ok had they let her rest in peace following ASM 400 though. As this is a Pete/MJ thread, however, I have to say, most of these depictions sort of remind me why I'd prefer that MJ was dead instead of the mystical neutral zone in which she now exits. As has been noted, there's a very good reason weddings and births occur at the very END of stories rather than half way through. The MJ stuff, to me, jumped the shark long, long ago. Pete, married to a super model, living the good life, with a baby just doesn't interest me (unless they actually decided to let Pete & family age and have him die at the end--that would make for an interesting story-but having Pete be Homer Simpson-ville with little Mayday forever a child would just suck). I think she and Gwen could do a fine job of watching over Pete from above. Or wherever.

Last edited:
If a character is adding nothing to a title, you MAKE them add something to a title. Saying "I wish the old lady would die" is rather disturbing and just leaves room for more actresses and clones and mystical spells and bulls***. Killing off Aunt May would be like killing off Alfred in Batman. It'll never stick. They're too integral to the mythos.

Applauding JMS for his portrayal of Aunt May sums up post-Quesada fandom in a nutshell too. "Hey, now that (insert character) is completely different from always depicted due to (insert hotshot writer), it's genius!".

I just ordered the Spider-Man/Mary Jane tpb. It seems to contain a lot of important Peter/MJ issue and most importantly the parallel life graphic novel. It's a shame that it has no wedding issue though

tumblrl6nazrzzrl1qcgagn.jpg

06. The Lovers— Spider-Man and Mary Jane
Have you ever had such a deep, intense connection with someone, romantic or platonic, that it feels a bit like fate that you met them, to the point where even if they’re out of your life, their presence is still there? That’s the essence of The Lovers card, and the essence of Mary Jane and Peter Parker’s relationship.
They’re in each others’ lives for better or worse (currently worse, unfortunately), and the bond they share is literally cosmic in nature, rewritten by extraordinary forces. It doesn’t matter that they aren’t together or that their relationship was sadly cheapened, it matters that they will always be friends, that Mary Jane will always be the one Peter can trust and go to with anything. Some people just don’t leave your life, and the connections you make and the emotional positivity of new and seriously relationships that this card signifies is always something to look forward to and embrace.

I don't know when or how but Peter & Mary Jane will be reunited as Husband and wife .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"