Comics Favorite Peter/MJ moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just saying; for even the smartest man to make a decision with his member rather than his head or heart is not entirely unheard of.

I'm just saying; for even the smartest man to make a decision with his member rather than his head or heart is not entirely unheard of.

Guilty as charged. And I'm far from the smartest man.

(Waits for a wise ass comment.)

I have no room to talk, having moved across state lines to rekindle a relationship with a woman who dumped me 12 years ago.

The "I Remember Gwen" story in The Amazing Spider-man 365, August. It describes why Mary Jane will always be in Gwen's shadow, and why she has to be the best wife ever for everyone's favourite wall-crawling hero.

EDIT: It just makes me mad that Marvel changed everything about the marriage. :down

The "I Remember Gwen" story in The Amazing Spider-man 365, August. It describes why Mary Jane will always be in Gwen's shadow, and why she has to be the best wife ever for everyone's favourite wall-crawling hero.

EDIT: It just makes me mad that Marvel changed everything about the marriage. :down

I just went back and re-read that. :) Good story.

I have to point out the now-ironic thing she said at the end of it though:

"I wouldn't trade our marriage for anything in the world!"

...except for Aunt May's life, right, MJ? ;)

I just went back and re-read that. :) Good story.

I have to point out the now-ironic thing she said at the end of it though:

"I wouldn't trade our marriage for anything in the world!"

...except for Aunt May's life, right, MJ? ;)

More contradictory than ironic, but it's nice to know someone else likes the story too.

Spider-Man & MJ

8007228015newstoryimage.jpg

http://www.comicvine.com/news/j-scott-campbells-spider-manmary-jane-cover/138474/

Hot.

This is one of the first ASM issues I've looked forward to in a long time.

Of course that story was great! It paired Stan Lee and John Romita Sr. on a story! Hard to go wrong, there!! JRSR is still the greatest, too. I like that he drew an older MJ with a little age, without making her look old. Very well done. Also, watching him redraw some classic scenes was great.

As for Marvel changing everything, they did. This story, as well as the SSM annual, Web of Romance, etc proves that it is all wrong.

The truth about Gwen is that Peter doesn't remember who she really was anymore, just that she died because she was his girlfriend. Mary Jane is not in her shadow, and I'm tired of writers trying to tell me she is. Gwen was a horrible boring ass character whose death I welcomed as she had annoyed me to death already. Let the boring, utterly uninteresting character rest in peace. Unless you're going add to the character and maybe explain why she was the person we knew, then leave her boring @$$ to rot.

The truth about Gwen is that Peter doesn't remember who she really was anymore, just that she died because she was his girlfriend. Mary Jane is not in her shadow, and I'm tired of writers trying to tell me she is. Gwen was a horrible boring ass character whose death I welcomed as she had annoyed me to death already. Let the boring, utterly uninteresting character rest in peace. Unless you're going add to the character and maybe explain why she was the person we knew, then leave her boring @$$ to rot.

That's a pretty narrow-minded opinion about how Peter "thinks"...

Just recently he went to Gwen's grace to have a "talk"... maybe YOU think she was just Peter's "girlfriend", but she was THE girl that Peter was destined to marry... if it ever had the chance to happen.

Even when Peter was going to propose to MJ for the second time, he went to the "bridge" to talk to Gwen about it and how MJ wasn't going to replace her...

Sorry you might not agree, but that's how much the character of Gwen meant to Peter Parker and will always be a large part of the Spidey mythos.

:yay:

Amazing Spider-Man #300. When they take some photos for the "private" collection.

Well, being one of the few around here who actually read about Gwen in comics when she was alive and seeing her & Peter interact, methinks you assume a wee bit too much...

And you're passing quite the judgement on a LOT of good writers by saying they didn't know about "their" relationship... :whatever:

And a "pro-crybaby bubble"? What the hell is that? Did it come with your "I wish I had an MJ blow up doll"?

Give me a break... speak to me like a grown-up as opposed to your peers in 5th grade...

We've all read the early ASM issues... how can you not see how much Gwen means to Peter? The only reason Peter and MJ made it as far as they did was because MJ revealed to Peter that she had known his secret... he would have never told her. I'm not saying that MJ didn't turn out to be an important person in Peter's life, but it's awfully presumptuous to think that she was the "one".

Yes... Gerry Conway had Gwen killed because he couldn't write her character properly, because she became a 2 dimensional crybaby AFTER her father died... she had some depth prior to that... and even after Gwen died, it's not like MJ took over... after some time, Peter developped "rebound" feelings and proposed... only to have MJ run away and be gone from the books for FIVE years (1978-1983). Roger Stern finally brought her back not to be Peter's love, but because she was a good friend and an old supporting cast member, something good writers do when writing a book... work with the book's rich history... even when DeFalco told us that she knew his secret, it's not like they fell in "love"... heck, they were hardly dating when Peter suddenly "proposes" again... yeah, that's some really heartfelt love right there... :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

You can believe what you want and live in your delusional world, but at the end of the day, Peter's a born loser never destined to be with ANY woman because the Spectre of Spider-Man will always come between them.

And you can take that to the bank, sonny...

Gwen never trusted Peter like your future wife should. She was also too stupid to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Ok, what I meant to say was that their relationship was overromanticized posthumously by writers that wanted to turn her into a martyr.

I admit the procrybaby bubble thing was uncalled for.

Ok.

Have you ever noticed how since her death we have practically never seen her in anything but the outfit she died in? My interpretation is that in the 10 years since Gwen died, most of Peter's memories of her have been forgotten, twisted, distorted, and romanticized until we arrive at today. Peter really only seems to remember that he was planning on marrying her and that the Green Goblin killed her before it happened. People say that he's never been the same since she died. How is he different? Gwen's death shocked Peter, yes, but he failed to learn the lesson behind her death. To think that Gwen was "the one" is also presumptuous. I agree with Conroy that Peter was destined to marry Mary Jane.

No. Gerry Conroy killed her off because the character had used up her storylines, was boring, and was in the way of Peter ending up with Mary Jane.
Gwen underwent massive changes in her character without any explanation in the context of the story. She started off as a Liz Allen ripoff ***** character, turned into a less *****y version of her previous incarnation, became a daddy's girl crybaby, then became a crybaby after her father's death all without any explanation in the context of the story except for the final change. Her character was mortally injured once she got together with Peter. It was only a matter of time, and a ballsy writer like Gerry Conroy to finish her off 7.5 years after she was introduced. While it wasn't a mad dash to the altar after Gwen died, the chain of events was set into motion that lead to their marriage.

This thinking that Peter must be a loser is major force behind a hell of a lot that is wrong with modern Spider-Man stories. Peter is meant to be able to get married. He's marrying type. He was destined to marry Mary Jane and he did. Also, you argument would apply to him marrying Gwen too.

Gwen would never have been able to work as Mrs. Parker. Mostly because Mary Jane kicks her @$$.

Knock it off guys. Keep it civil or there will be more infractions. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

This thinking that Peter must be a loser is major force behind a hell of a lot that is wrong with modern Spider-Man stories. Peter is meant to be able to get married. He's marrying type. He was destined to marry Mary Jane and he did. Also, you argument would apply to him marrying Gwen too.

Peter Parker, while the family man that he so desperately wants to be, simply cannot be because of the overwhelming guilt that drives him to be Spider-Man.

Yes... the Spectre of Spider-Man would have come between him and Gwen, just like it did with his first love, Betty Brant, and ultimately, it came between him and Mary Jane.

Just my two cents...

Peter Parker, while the family man that he so desperately wants to be, simply cannot be because of the overwhelming guilt that drives him to be Spider-Man.

Yes... the Spectre of Spider-Man would have come between him and Gwen, just like it did with his first love, Betty Brant, and ultimately, it came between him and Mary Jane.

Just my two cents...

Yes being Spider-Man added stress to his relationships, but it didn't destroy his marriage with Mary Jane, like it would have if he had married Gwen. I think that Mary Jane is simply a lot better choice for marrying him than Gwen. Gwen just too emotionally fragile for it to have worked in my opinion.

MJ is finally back. Here's hoping that Marvel actually utilizes are character and she isn't merely there for the sake of shock value.

Just my two cents...

Spectre of Spider-Man or Joey Q? You decide gentle viewer. The other break ups were actually plot related and made some of the best Spider-Man stories of all time, with MJ you got OMD and they've done everything possible to pretend that didn't really happen. Seems a bit different in circumstances.

Doesn't help that JMS took away from her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"