"You've always been the caretaker." The Shining Appreciation Thread.

C4C-0-400x600.jpg

Have any of you read King's recent Shining sequel, Dr. Sleep? Overall, its not great. In many sections, as the book follows a grownup Dan Torrance dealing with his own bouts of alcoholism, the book is a worthy follow up.

But then the main plot involves a traveling troop of psychic vampires who feed upon children with the Shining and it all moves along quite slowly.

The book simply has a different writing style than most of King's books, even his recent work, and is very different in tone than the Shining.

It might have been okay as a kind of Alien/Aliens situation as far as the change of tone and genre but ultimately the quality just isn't there except in a few bright spots.

Have any of you read King's recent Shining sequel, Dr. Sleep? Overall, its not great. In many sections, as the book follows a grownup Dan Torrance dealing with his own bouts of alcoholism, the book is a worthy follow up.

But then the main plot involves a traveling troop of psychic vampires who feed upon children with the Shining and it all moves along quite slowly.

The book simply has a different writing style than most of King's books, even his recent work, and is very different in tone than the Shining.

It might have been okay as a kind of Alien/Aliens situation as far as the change of tone and genre but ultimately the quality just isn't there except in a few bright spots.

DR. SLEEP is a weird book. In some ways it only works because of the connection to THE SHINING. In some ways, it only works because of elements that have nothing to do with that concept. Very much a mixed bag.

It'll be interesting to see how they develop the film project.

One of my favorite horror movies of all time. Nicholson gives such a phenomenal performance.

Every time I see him in Batman I think back to this movie and it makes him all the more scarey lol.

36d2c56c4058f4ce09e4db5ac3308b08.jpg

^ :up:

I kinda think Jack Torrance was a better "Joker" than Jack Napier:woot::cwink:

A couple of Alex Colville paintings can be seen in the background in the film. I really like this one:

alex%20colville%20moon%20and%20cow.jpg

Kind of beautiful and ominous at the same time like the movie.

I just picked up a 3 Blu-ray set of Kubrick's masterpieces (The Shining, Clockwork Orange and 2001). :up:

^:up:

tabletop%20maze%20close%20up.jpg

I love both the book and the film, but I like
the Maze ending better than Boiler Room ending.

http://www.****ange.net/.a/6a00e5506da997883301910404f248970c-pi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"