Zak Penn is writing The Avengers

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by FlawlessVictory, May 5, 2009.

1. FlawlessVictory

FlawlessVictory Well-Known Member

http://www.superherohype.com/news/thornews.php?id=8306

2. FlawlessVictory

So for one of the biggest superhero movie of all times Marvel has decided to go to Zak Penn. I don't understand why. My enthusiasm for this project has taken a nosedive. I don't see this turning out well, I hope I'm proved wrong.

3. Matt

Matt IKYN Guy Groupie

Zak Penn wrote early drafts of X2, Hulk, and TIH as well. My guess is he will write an early draft then someone else will be brought in to touch it up and iron out the flaws.

4. bunk

bunk superhero fan

I like that they're getting an early start on the script.

5. Rac

Rac Deadite

The script better get a complete rewrite like TIH.

6. mclay18

mclay18 Well-Known Member

The trouble is, Marvel and Universal were already in the storyboarding stage when Edward Norton rewrote the script and therefore the WGA didn't give him a co-writing credit in the movie.

And besides, like Matt said, Penn did write an early draft of X2. And if Favreau is indeed going to direct this baby straight after IM-2, he's gonna have other writers come on and redo it to his liking (or encourage Penn to step up his game when in rewrites).

7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of Zak Penn and his attitude about Ultimates, but my hope would be that Favreau and whatever writers he brings on would stick with what really works like they did with Iron Man.

8. Chewy

Chewy REDACTED

Yeah, let Penn write an early draft and get an outline together so that Favs and his team have more breathing room b/w IM2 and Avengers than they did b/w IM & IM2

9. Mister J

Mister J Ack Acka Dak Dak Daka Ack

I don't mind Penn contributing the framework, but I would have reservations if the final product turns out to largely be a solo effort.

I do like that Marvel's eye is on the prize though.

10. FrostBite

FrostBite Behind you.

I knew this before The Incredible Hulk was even out...

And to this day it makes me think this movie is going to be a train wreck.

Here's an idea, get Norton back as Banner, let him rewrite the script, and then don't cut out all the hard work he puts into it like last time.

The idea of the Avengers as a movie is already hard enough to pull off... you shove Zak Penn into the mix and everything is going to go to ****.

11. Timstuff

Timstuff Well-Known Member

You'd think someone with the last name "Penn" wouldn't suck at writing. :o

12. Dev

Dev Well-Known Member

^Hahaha. Good one. Penn is writing for Marvel now so I think he would step up his game. All the other times he wrote the scripts for other movies it was for other studios like Fox, Universal etc..

13. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

Penn wrote an early draft of X2 that never saw the light of day. He's been pretty vocal about it. What does that tell you?

Sigh.

I haven't liked much of what he's done, short of parts of X3, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Here's hoping he writes a good script and really puts his all into it.

14. Katsuro

Katsuro Well-Known Member

Yeah, i'm gonna pray he just writes an early draft, that's heavily rewritten by someone else. It worked for Incredible Hulk.

15. Philly Phanboy

Philly Phanboy LIVIN' LA VIDA PHANBOY

Is it too blunt to say that there are much better writers that they should go with? :O

I really can't understand why Marvel uses Zak as their "go to" guy so often when his record is so lame. I personally think his best project was his work on the Fantastic Four video game. Maybe he should get a job with a video game production team and leave the scriptwriting to somebody else? :huh::up:

16. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

At least its not Simon Kinberg who IMHO, hasn't written anything that was truly inspired or exceptional.

17. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

I don't understand this decision either.

I think he should be the nicest man in the business and all the ejecutives like him, so that's why they sign him...

He isn't the best in his job, hasn't been nominated at important awards...

Marvel should sign bigger names.... why not an Academy winner? or a nominated one, at least...

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  18. Dev

Dev Well-Known Member

^Academy award winners want nothing to do with comic book movies.

19. The Guard

I think it's simply that he's passionate, and he knows people. I suspect he and Avi Arad are friends, or something along those lines.

20. mclay18

mclay18 Well-Known Member

That Dougherty and Harris heavily rewrote his script into one good enough to shoot? I mean, he does have a co-screenplay credit in X2, after all. Has he ever said any specifics about what he wrote remained in the final shooting script for X2?

21. FaT_tONle

FaT_tONle Well-Known Member

Hasn't Penn also said the movie was going to be motion cap at some point? I seriously thought Marvel was giving him the direct to DVD feature... instead he gets the real thing. Well I'll preach the choir... REWRITE!!!

22. The Guard

Supposedly Penn and Hayter wrote separate drafts, which were then combined in some fashion. David Hayter apparently wrote most of the draft that Doughtery and Harris touched up for the final film, because he's the credited screenwriter on it.

Zak Penn wanted a movie with a broader Phoenix Story and Sentinels at the end. And the Danger Room, I believe. He has said online that these were his main contributions to the story development process. Penn's forte seems to be remaining more faithful to the characters than other writers have.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  23. Sarg92

Sarg92 Ouch!

What would you all say if The Avengers got the same treatment as The Incredible Hulk script wise. As in Zak Penn writes a draft and Edward Norton redrafts and makes it a lot better with a lot of though gone behind it and action. Norton would also have input from other actors like Downey Jr and co...

Or what if Norton writes the script from scratch or Marvel get someone else to write The Avengers that is a decent writer?

24. The Guard

Meh. THE INCREDIBLE HULK was not exactly a high quality story. If Zak Penn has a great AVENGERS movie in him, great. But they need to be careful with this, if this is what they're building to with all these other movies.

25. FlawlessVictory

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/06/2...ight-suck-despite-filmmakers-best-intentions/