Why Zak Penn?

BatB

Anti-Hero
Reaction score
Why the hell is Zak Penn working on so many Marvel films? Is anyone really into how the guy writes? Beyond co-writing Incident At Loch Ness, I'm not really aware of anything else he's done. He didn't write X2: X-Men United. As far as I know Mike Dougherty, Dan Harris, and David Hayter wrote it. And if anything he only had a small story credit. But he says he wrote it....................wtf. He did write X3 as far as I know, now hes doing; Incredible Hulk, Avengers, and some others. So why exactly is he on Arad's friend list? I mean, I have my own issues with Avi, he's a good guy absolutely great. But its just some of his decisions have been a little......questionable. Which is not the point.
I guess if anything this thread is for you to voice your opinions on Penn, good or bad. Bring em all on.

Ah found out he co-wrote; Elektra, Fantastic Four, Last Action Hero (Story Credit), Inspector Gadget, Behind Enemy Lines.................... I'm starting to see a trend here.

I actually feel sorry for him. The producers of X3 pretty much hijacked the script he wrote and rushed him and turned it into a really bad script/film. Afterwards he said he wasn't happy with how that fiasco turned out. So I hope in the future, they'll let him do his own thing and we'll see how good he is at his job

I think Penn is a really poor writer and it just shows to me how Marvel is going downhill by signing him up for so many projects, not least an important one like The Incredible Hulk!

Silvermoth said:
I actually feel sorry for him. The producers of X3 pretty much hijacked the script he wrote and rushed him and turned it into a really bad script/film. Afterwards he said he wasn't happy with how that fiasco turned out. So I hope in the future, they'll let him do his own thing and we'll see how good he is at his job

He's written for too many mediocre-to-bad films for me to sympathize with him, even if I agree with the problems on X3 rooting back to the studio moreso than others. Couple him with Simon Kinberg, and you've got trouble. Mr & Mrs. Smith would have failed if not for the casting of Pitt and Jolie, and Doug Lyman's directing.

KenK said:
He's written for too many mediocre-to-bad films for me to sympathize with him, even if I agree with the problems on X3 rooting back to the studio moreso than others. Couple him with Simon Kinberg, and you've got trouble. Mr & Mrs. Smith would have failed if not for the casting of Pitt and Jolie, and Doug Lyman's directing.

Agreed, both are poor writers.

Joe Cornish is a VERY funny man. If only he and his comedy partner Adam Buxton were appearing in the movie.

Yeah he's a crap writer and thats why he's on Arad's "friends list". It's not like Avi Arad actually cares about these charecters so why should anyone working on them?
(Except for Singer and Rami)

I think Marvel is doint the same with it's movies as it is with it's comics...if it dosen't start with "spider" or "x"....f--k it!

Uh, you do realize...just because a person's name is credited as writer of the script...doesnt mean he wrote the whole thing or that his script wasnt changed so many times that it just became a crappy piece of junk. How about you talk to him...I asked him about it and basically he said studios will bastardize anything you write if they want to make a dollar THAT bad.

thanks

vibeke_T said:
Uh, you do realize...just because a person's name is credited as writer of the script...doesnt mean he wrote the whole thing or that his script wasnt changed so many times that it just became a crappy piece of junk. How about you talk to him...I asked him about it and basically he said studios will bastardize anything you write if they want to make a dollar THAT bad.

thanks

It happens once, sure, but Penn's had at least three poorly scripted movies to his credit. You really think the studio screwed him over on ALL of them?

remeber joss whedon wrote the buffy movie
the studio screwed that up so he disowns it and make the tv show which is what he wanted in the 1st place

^Then why doesnt Zak disown all of his poor movies? Because they are mostly his work thats why. He said X3 was the the best of the trilogy and its a piece of ****!

K.B. said:
Yeah he's a crap writer and thats why he's on Arad's "friends list". It's not like Avi Arad actually cares about these charecters so why should anyone working on them?
(Except for Singer and Rami)

I think Marvel is doint the same with it's movies as it is with it's comics...if it dosen't start with "spider" or "x"....f--k it!
Singer doesn't care about the X-Men.

You know whats even worse? Zak Penn is basing his Hulk script on Bruce Jones endless Mr.Green run. Weak.

Zak Penn is a bad writer.
I'm sorry.

K.B. said:
Ironic since Marvel's best titles don't start with "Spider" or "X". :o

KenK said:
It happens once, sure, but Penn's had at least three poorly scripted movies to his credit. You really think the studio screwed him over on ALL of them?

Uh yes...its possible...I've got the inside scoop -- relatively speaking...most of the movies you guys call bad he refuses to even see because they've been rewritten so many times that when they made the movie...it sucked so bad. he walked out of his "own" movies...remember Hollywood is a "collaborative" process and so who ever pays you can decide what and what not will be in the film even though you wrote it. thats why a lot choose to do an indie or two...so they can have control of what they write when it gets filmed.

I'ld be so embarrased if my name was attached to X3. But you're right. Imagine walking out of your own films though. I hope he didn't walk out of X2

Maybe because X3 was so huge hit that Avi & co. couldn't see through the sht. They only saw the dollars and a guy who co-wrote it; "Let's get him to write all of our movies so we'll get more of these green papers!"

I've seen lot of his movies and the only one I midly like is Last Action Hero. I don't count X2.

Yeah I don't think he really had a hand in x2 and if he did it sure as hell wasn't that big of one.

K.B. said:
Yeah I don't think he really had a hand in x2 and if he did it sure as hell wasn't that big of one.

His X2 story is completely different to the movie. And X3 was a piece of ****, he didnt walk out on that one, he is a poor writer and any Marvel movie he is involved with will be poor.

I didn't mean the titles were written well just that they are the best sellers at marvel. (Though the x-titles have become very good lately)

And I didn't think penn had ANYTHING to do with x2.
Does anyone know what his story was like?

K.B. said:
ummm ok and hows that?

cuz he did X1 and X2 and both are some of the poorest adaptations out there. Hate on X3 but not 1 & 2 ? Rubbish.

Marvel is going down the tubes. I've hopes for Iron Man but will have to wait and see...

Civil War #4 was awful btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"