Why Zak Penn?

K.B. said:
I didn't mean the titles were written well just that they are the best sellers at marvel. (Though the x-titles have become very good lately)

And I didn't think penn had ANYTHING to do with x2.
Does anyone know what his story was like?

It involved human sized sentinals instead of a Dark Cerebro, and it didnt have the Nightcrawler opening because he thought it would be "too corny." There are other changes as well, i dont think it had any Pheonix references.

There you have it....for anyone on here that was Pro Penn...he thought that the Nightcrawler opening would be corny. Shows how good a writer he is.

K.B. said:
There you have it....for anyone on here that was Pro Penn...he thought that the Nightcrawler opening would be corny. Shows how good a writer he is.

I must admit, I've lost a certain amount of respect for him after hearing that if it were true

And since he is working on other marvel properties..well at least Spider-man 3 will be good.

Silvermoth said:
I must admit, I've lost a certain amount of respect for him after hearing that if it were true

It is true. He also said he thought X2 would be riddled with flaws until he saw it on the big screen.

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
It is true. He also said he thought X2 would be riddled with flaws until he saw it on the big screen.

wow, well, I suppose that shows his lack of understanding of subtlety

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
It involved human sized sentinals instead of a Dark Cerebro, and it didnt have the Nightcrawler opening because he thought it would be "too corny." There are other changes as well, i dont think it had any Pheonix references.

And this is why, while flawed, Hayter's script chews up and spits out Penn's script. Sad to see the management on X3 changed so much. We could have gotten a masterpiece.

Thats what hapens when your making a deadline instead of a movie. Also when the only thing you care about is money and not the franchise/fans.

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
Actually, I remember reading in thexverse that his X2 script had Alkali Lake as a Sentinel Factory and at the end Jean would have gone all Phoenix-y destroying every Sentinel on the factory. I liked what he said about his X2 script better than the real one, it was more focused on Jean than Wolverine

I'm willing to give him one more shot with the Incredible Hulk. If he fails on this one, then I'll lose all hope for the Avengers.

hippie_hunter said:
I'm willing to give him one more shot with the Incredible Hulk. If he fails on this one, then I'll lose all hope for the Avengers.

Leterrier said this was the best script he'd ever read, but I get the feeling he had the same sentiment when he was making Unleashed and The Transporter after reading their respective screenplays. So if you had any hope for the Avengers, feel free to flush it down the toilet now and keep the expectations to an X-Men fan low.

ChibiKiriyama said:
Leterrier said this was the best script he'd ever read, but I get the feeling he had the same sentiment when he was making Unleashed and The Transporter after reading their respective screenplays. So if you had any hope for the Avengers, feel free to flush it down the toilet now and keep the expectations to an X-Men fan low.

I'm willing to let X-Men the Last Stand and Elektra slide on account that 20th Century Fox were the ones who f**ked up on those. I'd like to see how he'd do with a studio that makes the comics themselves and is willing to not f**k up every single thing just for the sake of a dollar.

hippie_hunter said:
I'm willing to let X-Men the Last Stand and Elektra slide on account that 20th Century Fox were the ones who f**ked up on those. I'd like to see how he'd do with a studio that makes the comics themselves and is willing to not f**k up every single thing just for the sake of a dollar.

Thats an interesting idea. I'll be happy as long as he writes a good Avengers film which is not too campy, has well fleshed out characters and doesn't contain too much corny dialogue.

My major hope for the Avengers is that they get a great director to turn it into a really successful, fan pleasing franchise.

To the person a few messages above, I think hes writing the Incredible Hulk next

Honestly don't put any faith in marvel to make a good movie anymore. Spider-Man 3 will be the last good marvel film for a long long time.

Penn's comments on Avengers and Ultimates says to me that he doesn't even get them at all.

I guess Arad and Marvel weren't willing to match what Sony has paid Alvin Sargent (Academy Award winning screenwriter and screenwriter of the Spider-man movies).

TheVileOne said:
Penn's comments on Avengers and Ultimates says to me that he doesn't even get them at all.

I guess Arad and Marvel weren't willing to match what Sony has paid Alvin Sargent (Academy Award winning screenwriter and screenwriter of the Spider-man movies).

Why would they? They only want to get @$$es of seats, I'm not sure how much they care about the fans or the characters, especially fox

I wouldn't shove as much blam onto fox because ultimately it's Arads fault. He's the one who's job it is to make sure the charecters are treated right etc and also lets not forget his "promise" to not let the fans down and his "love" for these icons.

gothicFLAVOURS said:
Actually, I remember reading in thexverse that his X2 script had Alkali Lake as a Sentinel Factory and at the end Jean would have gone all Phoenix-y destroying every Sentinel on the factory. I liked what he said about his X2 script better than the real one, it was more focused on Jean than Wolverine

Actually i think thats true, my bad. But I still preferred the X2 we got.

ChibiKiriyama said:

I hope you're not implying Unleased was a bad movie, 'cause it wasn't!

Now Transporter 2, jesus, how could you screw up a sequel to a film that had NO PLOT WHATSOEVER!?! I can only imagine what hell deliver with the Penn-scripted Hulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"