14-Year-Old Student Charged With Murdering Math Teacher

DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

Avenger
Reaction score
original.jpg

In the second violent school crime this week, a 14-year-old was arrested and charged with murdering a 24-year-old math teacher, whose body was found in the woods behind their school early Wednesday morning.

Colleen Ritzer was reported missing late last night after she failed to return from Danvers High School and didn't answer her cell phone. Police searched the school for Ritzer, discovering blood in a second floor bathroom; her body was found later in woods near the school.

“She was a very, very, respected, loved teacher. It’s a terrible tragedy for the entire Danvers community,” Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett said at a press conference Wednesday morning.

"She always wanted to teach math," a neighbor, Mary Duffy, told the Boston Herald. "She was a quiet, pleasant girl with many friends."

Ritzer was an active on Twitter, where she would assign homework, interact with students and show support for Boston sports teams.

Philip Chism was arrested shortly after midnight when police found him walking along a highway. He'd been reported missing Tuesday night after missing a soccer practice and a team dinner. According to several students who spoke to the Boston Globe, Chism was leading scorer on the school's JV soccer team.

Blodget, the district attorney, did not release any information about the relationship between Ritzer and Chism or how Ritzer was killed.

Public schools were closed for the day in Danvers. "We are all terrified. It’s very scary,” said Caitlin McBride, a junior at Danvers High, told the Boston Globe. “No one will ever look at this school the same way anymore."

BXOZLKyCMAATeOr.jpg

Crazy stuff happening with the kids these days, she sounded like an awesome teacher though. Very sad. :csad:

She does sound like a good teacher. I am really confused about one detail though - a fourteen. year old kid can drag her body that far alone? Doesn't sound physically possible for some reason.

The facts as we know them from this article:

-The math teacher was found dead in the woods near the school.
-There was blood on a second floor bathroom.
-The 14 year old in question was reported missing, then found after midnight.
-NO DETAILS about what links the student & teacher were released.
-NO DETAILS of how she was killed were released.

Let the passionate debates between inflexible users who are 100% sure their theories are correct begin.

She does sound like a good teacher. I am really confused about one detail though - a fourteen. year old kid can drag her body that far alone? Doesn't sound physically possible for some reason.
It is. I'm sure it would be difficult but 14 is not that far removed from 16 so if he was responsible it's possible. And seeing as she was only dragged to the nearby wooded area I don't think whoever did it was helped or they would have moved her further.

I'm with Manic though in I'm not convinced yet he did it even if the cops, the media and whoever else believes otherwise. For all we know he was a victim himself of the same crime. If they know he did it, why not release cause of death, a connection and a motive?

He's a young, black teenager at a school where a crime was committed in the wake of another crime committed at another school though so it doesn't take much to point fingers of accusation.

Found a little bit more on the story

In the morning news conference, he did not identify Chism, citing state law protecting the records of juvenile offenders. He also released few further details of the investigation, declining to comment on whether the suspect knew Ritzer, when the suspect was linked to the teacher’s slaying, and how Ritzer died.

No further details were released at the arraignment. With his mother in the gallery, the tall, lanky boy with close-cropped hair, stood quietly during the proceeding, wearing a jail-issued white jumpsuit.

But police said in a report filed today in court that the charges came after an interview of Chism and a review of video surveillance footage recovered at the school.

The evidence indicated that Chism “assaulted and subsequently murdered Colleen Ritzer and disposed of her body near the high school grounds,” the report said.

The report also said corroborating evidence was found at “multiple scenes at the Danvers High School and surrounding wooded area.”

Police said the investigation was launched after both Ritzer and Chism were reported missing. The report also said, “Ritzer and the juvenile are known to each other from the school.”

Danvers police issued a tweet at 9:25 p.m. Tuesday, saying they were looking for Chism. Chism had recently relocated to Danvers from Tennessee, police said on their Facebook page. The posting said that he had last been seen at the Hollywood Hits theater on Endicott Street around 6:30 p.m. Police tweeted at 7:16 a.m. today that Chism had been found safe.

According to teammates, Chism is the leading scorer for the school’s junior varsity team as a striker. The teammates said that on Tuesday, Chism failed to make the team practice at 4 p.m. and also missed a regular team dinner that is usually held at 6 p.m. at a teammate’s home.

Four members of the team said in an interview that Chism was amiable, hard-working, pleasant, and had managed to collect some friends around him in his first months in a new school. They described him as about 6 feet tall, with a love of soccer.

Ritzer, a math teacher, was a young woman with a smile who had always wanted to lead a classroom, a long-time neighbor said this morning.

“She was gentle, with a big smile,” said Mary Duffy, who has lived next door to Colleen Ritzer’s family in Andover for more than two decades. “It makes no sense.”

The Ritzer family issued a statement this afternoon, saying, “At this time we are mourning the tragic death of our amazing, beautiful daughter and sister. Everyone that knew and loved Colleen knew of her passion, her teaching and how she mentored each and every one of her students.” The family also asked people to respect their privacy and thanked the public for their thoughts and prayers.

Ritzer was a 2007 graduate of Andover High School. She received a bachelor’s in 2011 from Assumption College in Worcester. She had taken graduate-level courses at Salem State University.

All classes in Danvers public schools were canceled this morning due to the investigation. The academic wing of the school is blocked off with crime scene tape.

Town officials called parents at about 4:45 a.m. today, saying only that there was a police presence at the school and schools were canceled.

Sitting in a car parked across from the school, two students said they were stunned and terrified to hear what had happened.

“We are all terrified. It’s very scary,” said Caitlin McBride, a junior. “No one will ever look at this school the same way anymore.”

McBride said she received a text this morning, saying the school was closed.

“I didn’t know what to do,” said Kendall Meehan. “It’s all very scary. It’s not something you see around here.”

Both students said they didn’t know the 14-year-old who was reported missing.

So there is evidence he assaulted and killed her but it still leaves a lot to explain the circumstances.

Teelie, he dragged her through a hallway, down the stairs, and then into the woods. It wasn't just out the door. I just don't see how a kid can do that alone. An adult is a reach. But, perhaps the "there was a second kid!" kind of theory isn't that bizarre here. I see the dragging of the body taking at least 20-30 minutes unless she weighed nothing - and unless this was at night in the almost pitch dark:

- How could the student be in the school after or before hours like this?
- How come nobody saw a kid dragging a body? (unless this place is severely isolated, and as said - it sounds like it is something that would take some time - I'd imagine at least one person would have spotted it by the time it would have taken).

As said, something just doesn't seem right here to me and the kid doesn't look like he was a gym rat. I really think someone else was involved here and not caught yet. Either that or this place is seriously isolated.

Last edited:
Jeez, wasn't there another school shooting that happened recently in America this week? This is seriously looking like a wake-up call to try and improve Student-Teacher relationships so incidents like this should not happen.

Teelie, he dragged her through a hallway, down the stairs, and then into the woods. It wasn't just out the door. I just don't see how a kid can do that alone. An adult is a reach. But, perhaps the "there was a second kid!" kind of theory isn't that bizarre here. I see the dragging of the body taking at least 20-30 minutes unless she weighed nothing - and unless this was at night in the almost pitch dark:

- How could the student be in the school after lock down?
- How come nobody saw a kid dragging a body? (unless this place is severely isolated, and as said - it sounds like it is something that would take some time - I'd imagine at least one person would have spotted it by the time it would have taken).

He's a 6 ft kid who is into athletics. She's 24 and judging by the photograph not that big in size.

He's a 6 ft kid who is into athletics. She's 24 and judging by the photograph not that big in size.

Still having difficulty. By the picture she looks to be 100 - 110 pounds, possibly 115. While he's tall, he's also lanky - he doesn't seem to be all that muscular, or at least from the picture. At best, it would take him fifteen minutes (they're on the second floor somewhere, so down the stairs and to the woods is quite some distance). As said, something just sounds weird about this to me especially since no one spotted it. If there were two kids, it would take five minutes. But, with fifteen or around there -- unless this place is severely isolated, it's just weird that no one would spot it in the time it would take.

Last edited:
Jeez, wasn't there another school shooting that happened recently in America this week? This is seriously looking like a wake-up call to try and improve Student-Teacher relationships so incidents like this should not happen.

Student-teacher relationships should probably not be the main focus - what is happening with their mental health? And what are their family lives like? Peers? :csad:

Absolutely disgusting.

My wishes go out to her family. I wished my old high school teacher tweeted about sports games :(

They have video footage which would indicate if someone else was involved. So far no one else has been implicated so the conspiracy theory of another killer/accessory isn't panning out.

Then the school's gotta be really isolated. Typically during a school year, before and after school hours there are cars everywhere in sight or at least at most of the schools I've seen. And from what I recall, there are always teachers walking around as well. One hour to two hours before and after, you also have students. So, there also seems like there would be constant surveillance. Does anything say what time this happened? Kinda like one of those things where everything coincidentally lines up, happens though.

Not all schools are the same. I went to several and some of them were busy well into the evening and others were cleared out within an hour of school letting out.

Not all schools are the same. I went to several and some of them were busy well into the evening and others were cleared out within an hour of school letting out.

Obviously not all schools are the same. I've actually never seen any busy typically into the evening. But usually, there isn't only one person inside of a school - and if there is, I'm guessing this is usually when the students can't enter (generally past a certain hour, middle schools from memory make it impossible to even get your book if it's more than a couple hours after letting out).

Last edited:
Then the school's gotta be really isolated. Typically during a school year, before and after school hours there are cars everywhere in sight or at least at most of the schools I've seen. And from what I recall, there are always teachers walking around as well. One hour to two hours before and after, you also have students. So, there also seems like there would be constant surveillance. Does anything say what time this happened? Kinda like one of those things where everything coincidentally lines up, happens though.

Give it a rest, a 6' athlete pumping with adrenaline from murdering somebody can very feasibly lift a 115 lb woman onto his shoulder and carry her out, or drsg her out. I dont know why this is stumping you so hard, lol.

Give it a rest, a 6' athlete pumping with adrenaline from murdering somebody can very feasibly lift a 115 lb woman onto his shoulder and carry her out, or drsg her out. I dont know why this is stumping you so hard, lol.

WTF lol? DUDE, learn some reading comprehension, the possibility of an accomplice was dismissed the second that it was brought up that there's a security camera came that got it on tape. Read the posts before you post, lol.

I'd say lift is taking it too far. Plus, there's no evidence at all about lifting - there is a tape of dragging. So, no, he couldn't lift her because if he could - he would have. He dragged her, which would and did take time. The school was probably more isolated and they're right now reviewing their security measures.

yeah but what if it comes out that these two were inappropriately close?

That's always the first place people go lately.

WTF lol? DUDE, learn some reading comprehension, the possibility of an accomplice was dismissed the second that it was brought up that there's a security camera came that got it on tape. Read the posts before you post, lol.

I'd say lift is taking it too far. Plus, there's no evidence at all about lifting - there is a tape of dragging. So, no, he couldn't lift her because if he could - he would have. He dragged her, which would and did take time. The school was probably more isolated and they're right now reviewing their security measures.
Ugh its so ironic its painful given that i said absolutely nothing about an accomplice, nor did i allude to that idea. Im talking about the kid himself.

Either way my point is that its not hard for somebody of his stature to move somebody of 100-115 lbs despite your repeated insistence that thats seemingly impossible...

Last edited:
I mentioned that there would probably be two kids because that kid doesn't look like he could drag her in a short time span. He can pick her up sure, but that it would quite obviously take time (around 15 minutes - second floor). Thus, the possibility of two - it would have taken a much shorter time to dispose of the body and reduce the possibility of someone noticing (in a typical school, this would have been noticed unless it was done really really fast). The kid wasn't an adrenaline-fueled grunt because if he could have carried her - he would have - he factually didn't. So can he drag her? Obviously. But it would have and did take some time - so a very very important thing the school is taking into account now is its security, because if the measures were as they should be I don't see how this could happen without being spotted. If a kid has enough time to drag a grown woman through a hall, down the stairs, outside and to the woods - just think of what adults can do to any kids wandering around alone. So, "how could this happen and not be seen?" is a question the school and police are obviously asking themselves. This is why schools are supposed to have very strong security measures and younger oriented schools lock their doors sooner.

Either way my point is that its not hard for somebody of his stature to move somebody of 100-115 lbs despite your repeated insistence that thats seemingly impossible...

Sharpen your reading comprehension, the only one saying impossible is you. I'm saying that it would take time and not five minutes, drag the body, walk down the stairs, and you're out the door. Ten minutes is even pushing it. At minimum that's twelve. So, you're under some ridiculous assumption that he lifted her, carried her (although that's found nowhere in the reports, so it's not just my posts you're having difficulty reading), and ran outside of the school five minutes flat. This is something that took time. And something a school with kids is supposed to be responsible for. Not to prevent teachers from being killed and taken away, but from kids being snatched up.

Last edited:
Blood on a second floor bathroom?

It was the janitor, in the bathroom, with a broom.

Blood on a second floor bathroom?

It was the janitor, in the bathroom, with a broom.

It certainly wasn't with the mop, or the blood would've been cleaned up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"