2008 Academy Awards

Matt

IKYN Guy Groupie
Reaction score
What is everyone's thoughts this year? It doesn't seem like the usual crop of artsy Oscar movies are coming out this year, in fact, the only really "Traditional" Oscar bait I can see so far is The Bucket List (and god knows the Academy loves Jack and Morgan and Rob Reiner could be this year's contender for a "make up Oscar"). So could we see some suprise wins?

I think Johnny Depp has a real chance for Sweeney Todd, same with Burton.

I also think another suprise we could see is the comedy genre finally getting some play. If there are a total lack of other choices, both Walk Hard and Super Bad (one of which was a critical darling, the other is shaping up to be) could get some play. If nothing else, Judd Apatow could win a screen writing award.

Of course, Charlie Wilson's War seems to be stirring up some acclaim in the bio-pic department and I really wouldn't put it past the Academy to finally give Tom Hanks the hat trick.

Should be an interesting year to watch.

There's a lot of early buzz that "There Will Be Blood" is going to clean out at the Oscars this year. As for Deep, honestly I love Johnny as much as the next guy but I doubt he stands a chance against Daniel Day-Lewis who is, in my opinion, arguably the greatest actor alive right now. :up:

I think the big three will be No Country For Old Men, Sweeney Todd, and There Will Be Blood

I hope Fincher gets best Director for Zodiac.

It's not going happen, as much as I like it too, for a couple of reasons. First being that the Oscars are very politically oriented however that doesn't mean it isn't fair or that the whole thing is rigged, for the most part the nominations are usually good choices but there are always movies that fall through the cracks due to the politcal nature of it. For example films released early in the year usually are forgotten especially if there not a run-away box office success. The second is that studios usually have to promote the film a great deal to receive oscar attention. For the first reason, I don't seeing Universal doing that hence it'll probably fall through the cracks. Also the "nonsatisfying" ending ala not really finding out who did it and the complete change of pace in the second half might put off some oscar voters as being uneven. So while I absolutely loved Zodiac, I'm not holding my breath on this one since saddly while Fincher has evolved into a more articulate director, not needing to rely on style over substance ala his earlier films, it seems his fans haven't made the jump with him. :csad:

If sweeney todd is as good as i hope, Depp and Burton deserve something!

I love Zodiac, but it ain't getting anything unfortunetly.

Anybody feeling best movie or best director for Gone Baby Gone? I feel, at the very least, Ben deserves a nomination for his directorial debut. The movie on the whole may not be one of the top five from the year, but I think Ben was hands down one of the best directors in 2007, if not the best.

What is everyone's thoughts this year? It doesn't seem like the usual crop of artsy Oscar movies are coming out this year, in fact, the only really "Traditional" Oscar bait I can see so far is The Bucket List (and god knows the Academy loves Jack and Morgan and Rob Reiner could be this year's contender for a "make up Oscar"). So could we see some suprise wins?

First off, my opinions in this thread will saddly slightly sparse and more spectulative, I've been studying abroad this semester in England, and as such there isn't a movie theatre close to my college unless I take a train to Liverpool, so I've missed out on most of the oscar films this year.

I haven't seen this film however Burton's biggest shot would of been with Big Fish and seeing as how the academy just completely skipped on that film, I don't see how a non-musical musical is really going win their hearts. Now I could be completely wrong since I have not seen the film however Burton's over-realiance on visual/style over substance is what's kept him from winning an oscar and simply being a cult favorite. Johnny Depp I could see getting a nomination however I would think the oscar would tire of giving him nominations off his character roles, and seeing as how they passed on giving him a nomination on Willy Wonka(which was a commerical and critical success) and he didn't win for either Pirates or Neverland, I just don't think this is his year with such an off-beat movie. However I cede I could be tottally wrong since I have not seen the film.

I also think another suprise we could see is the comedy genre finally getting some play. If there are a total lack of other choices, both Walk Hard and Super Bad (one of which was a critical darling, the other is shaping up to be) could get some play. If nothing else, Judd Apatow could win a screen writing award.

Walk Hard won't get a nomination at least from the preview. Also Judd Apatow didn't write Super Bad, he produced it and while it was a critical success, the academy will pass on this since at the heart of Super Bad is simply another generic albeit very funny teen comedy film in terms of scripts. I could see Judd getting a screen-writing nomination for "Knocked Up" as well as procuring a best supporting actress nomination for Leslie Mann since Judd is the "it" boy in Hollywood right now, and Knocked Up was such a huge success.

Of course, Charlie Wilson's War seems to be stirring up some acclaim in the bio-pic department and I really wouldn't put it past the Academy to finally give Tom Hanks the hat trick.

Expect this to be nominated for a ton of awards, An Aaron Sorkin (A few good men) script, Mike Nicol (Graduate, Closer) directing, with Tom Hanks and Julie Roberts starring... This is going get some nominations, it looks awesome as well.

Zodiac will get nominated for something I feel...to good of a film to be overlooked. As for others...No Country for Old Men should receive a ton of Nominations along with Kite Runner. I think Rescue Dawn may see a acting nomination, and possibly something for cinematography.

I think he deserves a nom, but I don't seeing him competing with the Coen's and Paul Thomas Anderson. Or even Burton, which who I think will be nominated.

I think he deserves a nom, but I don't seeing him competing with the Coen's and Paul Thomas Anderson. Or even Burton, which who I think will be nominated.

The Coen's are a lock for a nomination. Daniel Day Lewis will get one for TWBB, haven't even seen it but whenever he acts he gets nominated it seems:cwink:

I think Daniel Day Lewis is a shoe-in for Best Actor, but I think Depp can give him a run depending on how Sweeney Todd is critically and how well he sings, since he's never done it before.

Add me to the chorus for noms for No Country for Old Men.

I'm sure Transformers or Pirates will pick up a FX nom or two.

I'd bet good money on a nom for Cate Blanchett for I'm Not There as well. I would love to see 3:10 to Yuma get some appreciation, but I'm not sure it was high profile enough.

I'd like to see 3:10 To Yuma get some noms cause I do feel it was the best movie I saw this year and Crowe should get a nom for it. As should Foster.

And from what I been hearing and seeing in previews and trailers, I think Ellen Page has a shot for a nomination from Juno. and Ebert said she should win Best Actress.

it has been a really really weak year for best actress
Adrianne Shelly for Waitress is probably my top pick
next year should be better with films like "Turn the River"

I really want Gone Baby Gone to get some love, I thought that was if not the best movie of the year second best to No Country

it has been a really really weak year for best actress
Adrianne Shelly for Waitress is probably my top pick
next year should be better with films like "Turn the River"

That's why I figure Leslie Mann will pick up a nomination for Knocked Up.

If I where to choose a "Best Picture" list it would look something like this

Gone Baby Gone
No Country for Old Men
Zodiac
Knocked Up
3:10 to Yuma

how close do you guys think I will get? 2/5?

Gone Baby Gone
No Country for Old Men
Zodiac
Knocked Up

I would say 2/5. Maybe 3, but the chances for 3:10 to Yuma are slim.

Gone Baby Gone
No Country for Old Men
Zodiac
Knocked Up

Movies like Kite Runner, There Will Be Blood, Before the Devil Knows your Dead...all could slip in . NCFOM is the only guarentee IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"