2012 Spike VGAs

Those are upgrades, it at it's core is still the same game. You could say the same about a lot of sequels, even Black Ops 2 with all the new perks ect.

And those are not "outside of the box" You have been able to do many of those things for years and years and years in other games.
well true I guess he meant all in one game. Im sure there have been a few that came close. But didn't go that far. As for sailing yeah, that's been done in lots of titles and there used to be animals hunting Ip /titles, but their not popular genra wise . So AC III has that over the m all in the latter part. But yeah most of that stuff can be found in other games. It's just no one can remember it begin all in one title and done well.

Last edited:
well true I guess he meant all in one game. Im sure there have been a few that came close. But didn't go that far. As for sailing yeah, that's been done in lots of titles and there used to be animals hunting Ip /titles, but their not popular genra wise . So AC III has that over the m all in the latter part. But yeah most of that stuff can be found in other games. It's just no one can remember it begin all in one title and done well.

Exactly....AC3 blends elements of *lots* of different types of games --- RTS, tower defense, hunting, naval warfare, "sneakers," shooters, RPGs, and more. It's so varied that it's hard to classify as any one given subgenre.

But I'm wondering where people have seen games that featured sailing ship warfare before, because I have NEVER seen that.....? Also, AC3's hunting is unlike anything previously seen before --- RDR's was *very* simplistic compared to AC3, the latter of which goes into huge detail on various ways to hunt, including searching for clues, using bait and snares to attract/trap prey, different techniques being more effective on certain animal types, the collection and actual use of not only pelts but other parts from carcasses for trade and useful items, hand-vs-claw minigames for mortal combat against bigger prey, not to mention the ability to flat-out assassinate animals.

All of this is wayyyy outside the box. I've never seen another game even remotely resembling AC3; not even previous AC games. It's an entirely different breed.

Games that think outside the box are much needed. They push the boundaries and drive the industry forward but I don't think you necessarily need to do that to be the best game of the year and also doing it well doesn't by itself mean that you even have a good game.

Sid Meier's Pirates was all about Sailing and Naval combat, not as "action oriented" but a great game none the less that was all about sailing 18th century vessels around.

And there are many hunting games out there. Yes ACIII took a lot of different types of things (like GTA games do) and combine them into a single game. But I still would not call it "outside of the box" since other games have used similar aspects.

Risen 2 probably has that stuff (haven't played it) & they probably don't count but the Cabela games cover hunting in some crappy way lol.

Sid Meier's Pirates was all about Sailing and Naval combat, not as "action oriented" but a great game none the less that was all about sailing 18th century vessels around.

And there are many hunting games out there. Yes ACIII took a lot of different types of things (like GTA games do) and combine them into a single game. But I still would not call it "outside of the box" since other games have used similar aspects.

A decade-old 2D RTS/RPG can't seriously be compared to a full-fledged 3-dimensional real-time naval combat sim with dynamic weather.

And snipe-n-shoot hunting games with modern rifles, be it Cabela or Big Buck Hunter or even RDR, don't even begin to have the same dynamic as Connor's bowhunting, black powder, snares, baiting, tracking, examining spoor and sign, etc.

As Ice man just stated and as I told pat the most recent pirate game was Risen 2 for the consoles and pc and there was the title called Gallon some time back for the consoles as well which I forgot to mention in the ACIII thread, When I answered pat on that there.

There was suppose to be a up coming title called captain blood which disappeared after it was previewed on gt. I suspect that title is now dead.

Last edited:
As Ice man just stated and as I told pat the most recent pirate game was Risen 2 for the consoles and pc and there was the title called Gallon some time back for the consoles as well which I forgot to mention in the ACIII thread, When I answered pat on that there.

There was suppose to be a up coming title called captain blood which disappeared after it was previewed on gt. I suspect that title is now dead.

Where was naval combat in Risen 2? The only thing I can find on YT is boarding parties swordfighting. I see nothing of broadsides, swivel guns, grapeshot, chainshot, tacking, storms and ship upgrades and the like.

I didn't mean to say it(Risen 2) had all that. Only that it had pirating and sailing and some naval things. Not stuff like upgrades or the version ACIII shows, lol in that game.

It was like the early days of pirating in that ip and having something like upgrades to weapons and your ship it's self isn't likely unless you have some inventor ahead of his time back then just for that games history . it didn't have it that way.

Previews

Risen 2: Dark Waters – Weapons and Day One DLC – VIDEO

Jose plunders more details on Risen 2: Dark Waters, including info on the game's weapons and day one DLC.

Previews

Risen 2: Dark Waters Overview – VIDEO

Jose goes island hopping with a look at the action RPG Risen 2: Dark Waters.

Review
soure:EPD.TV/ROTR &GT

Galleon on the other hand might have had some thing of that with ship battles and boarding parties along with the sailing at least. though I don't think it's likely, now that I remember it. Well I know it had platforming elements so there was climbing and jumping elements in it to trvers the terren. there were not any upgrades to weapons and ships , that was way before Games started doing that alot.

Galleon: Islands of Mystery

Platform(s): Xbox Release Date: 08/03/2004 Genre(s): Adventure

Last edited:
Who's played Walking Dead? Does that deserve to be on the list? My friends who've played it all like it and recommend it but noone's really been raving about it.

story wise it's fun and makes a great connection to the tv show and comic. game play when it came out it was still cool and new. but as it went on Game play wise it didn't really add any thing new for it's self as it went on/ continued. It's still a cool series for a new ip. but don't expect it to be nominated for any awards from [places like spike. You can expect that from reviews Shows like EPD.tv /ROTR or GT they might put up awards them selves for that.

But not places like the former.

Last edited:
Gotya. I meant to check out the TV show.. but I kind of stopped watching TV shows (more time for games lol).

Don't worry there's always blue ray . Alot of people stopped with TV. and may only watch certain shows now. Though that has cause some of those great shows to end due to all that cause people rather watch them on blue ray. and the networks like ratings. that's what happens with double edge swords like that. but at least you have it. BTW that shows AAAAAAAAAWesome.

Last edited:
Geoff teased on Twitter that they're going to have an "amazing" announcment for "old-school" gamers.

Don't worry there's always blue ray . Alot of people stopped with TV. and may only watch certain shows now. Though that has cause some of those great shows to end due to all that cause people rather watch them on blue ray. and the networks like ratings. that's what happens with double edge swords like that. but at least you have it. BTW that shows AAAAAAAAAWesome.
Will have to check it out. Probably when it's finished and then watch the whole thing in one go.

Geoff teased on Twitter that they're going to have an "amazing" announcment for "old-school" gamers.
Cool. Wonder how old old-school.

The Nintendo Power glove is making a comeback!

It's kind of sad that on the best Xbox/PS3 game category they only have one game that is specifically tied to those consoles.

Cool. Wonder how old old-school.

I'm curious about that as well. Like, what does "old-school" even mean anymore? This generation has gone on so long that I bet there are kids, maybe even some teenagers, that think Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero are old-school.

It's kind of sad that on the best Xbox/PS3 game category they only have one game that is specifically tied to those consoles.

It's a sign of the times. Exclusives are thankfully becoming less and less prominent with each passing year.

I think we'll most likely see exclusives flare up again with the next Xbox and Playstation, but it will never go back to the way it used to be.

Too much money to be had, fool.

Confirmed to be at VGAs
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
The Last Of Us
Bioshock Infinite
Tomb Raider
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Gears of War: Judgement

Promises
Some kind of game that will please old-school gamers
Some kind of next gen thing.

Rumors
Destiny
New Cliffy B game

I think we'll most likely see exclusives flare up again with the next Xbox and Playstation, but it will never go back to the way it used to be.

Yeah, both consoles will get new exclusive. I'm predicting MS will get an exclusive that can compete with Halo & Gears. There seems to be a pattern that each gen they get one exclusive "console selling" franchise.

I hope the Deadpool game shows up at the VGAs. I'm hungry for some info on that game. I also wouldn't be surprised if Dead Space 3 &/or Dragon Age 3 pop up at too. I can see the next Batman game being announced too, City was announced at the VGAs a couple years ago so it's a possibility.

Hmmm don't hold your breath for any thing in the Arkham series to be shown there. I'm pretty sure , no it's well known MS owns Halo though. so it'll be funny completing with it's self But yeah, they might put a new ip up in the VGAs.

Last edited:
Confirmed to be at VGAs
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
The Last Of Us
Bioshock Infinite
Tomb Raider
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Gears of War: Judgement

Promises
Some kind of game that will please old-school gamers
Some kind of next gen thing.

Rumors
Destiny
New Cliffy B game

No GTAV? Boo hiss.
Only things that interest me out of that lot are Destiny and Bioshock Infinite.

The Last of Us
Gears of War:Judgement
Next-Gen thing
Destiny
New Cliffy B game

are what interests me so far and so hopefully those all appear

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members