2016 Primaries and Caucuses Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike 1992 where you had two fairly strong candidates you would have two weak candidates in Trump and Hillary. Mattis also would be able to appeal to a wide range of voters while being able to challenge each candidate on their perceived strengths. Mattis isn't an insider and isn't one to hold his tongue, if Trump tries to be the tough guy in front of a four star general Mattis will shut him down. Mattis also would be able to turn around and challenge Hillary on foreign policy.

1992 didn't have "strong candidates." It had an incredibly unpopular Republican incumbent and a governor of a small state whom no one had ever heard of until he ran for president (remember, Clinton didn't win a primary state until Georgia and was widely considered a dark horse). Clinton would've gotten walloped in the general election but for Ross Perot and Bush's own ineptitude as both a candidate and a president. This is underlined by the fact that he only won 43 % of the popular vote.

If anything Perot is the strongest third party candidate in the history of modern politics. Almost all of that comes down to the fact that he had limitless funds. That is something Mattis lacks. A third party candidate who doesn't have Ross Perot money is destined to capture, at maximum, 4 or 5 % of the popular vote (and that is assuming that absolutely everything goes right for them).

Beyond that, I disagree with your assertion that Mattis would be able to out-Trump Trump or challenge Clinton on foreign policy. As to the latter, Mattis knows the military. That doesn't mean he knows foreign policy. There is a very big divide between the two. Look at Wesley Clark's 2004 campaign. Clark was a general who was far more politically active than most military men. Yet any time he was asked about foreign relations beyond the military, he would embarrass himself. Hell, sometimes when asked about foreign relations regarding the military he would embarrass himself (his flipflopping on the Iraq War, for example). And Clark was no dummy. He is one of the most intellectual generals in our country's history. My point is, a blanket statement that Mattis would challenge Clinton, a former Secretary of State, on foreign policy, is fairly absurd.

Its also fairly absurd to assert that he would out-Trump Trump. The reason Trump is succeeding is simple: he knows how to work the media. Christie is every bit as crass and outspoken as Trump. He couldn't hang because Trump knows how to play the media in a way that no political communications director (or candidate) could. Trump isn't succeeding simply because he yells a lot and says rude, ignorant things. He is succeeding because of HOW he is yelling and saying those things. He would treat Mattis with just as much disrespect as anyone else he has encountered and if Mattis tried to fight back, Trump would outmaneuver him in the media. Clinton's media savvy is part of the reason that she is the only person who can beat Trump (he would destroy Bernie, who only knows how to be confrontational with the media).

At the end of the day, if Mattis tries to run third party, he will be lucky to pull in 1 or 2 % of the votes. The only way he gets involved in this campaign, in a meaningful way, is if Paul Ryan is drafted at the convention. Mattis would be a strong running mate for Ryan. Although even that is a long shot because Kasich makes a hell of a lot more sense in that scenario as he adds legitimacy to the process (by having one of the three remaining candidates on the ticket). Only way Mattis (or anyone else) comes into play in a brokered convention is if Kasich and Cruz both refuse to be VP to Ryan, Romney, or whoever is drafted.

What a disaster for the GOP. The id of their base has yielded two of the least electable options possible for the general.

The People who said. Romney and McCain were supposed to be electable now say Trump and Cruz are unelectable ?

Last edited:
Looks like Trump and Clinton are both going to win by huge margins. Only question left is how many of the 27 congressional districts will Trump win by 50%+(else they get split 2-1 delegates)

What the heck happened with the Democratic primary? They were neck and neck and now this? I'm almost thinking that something fishy went down.

What the heck happened with the Democratic primary? They were neck and neck and now this? I'm almost thinking that something fishy went down.

It was a closed primary meaning that independents couldn't vote. Assuming the results stay as they are though, this is what the higher end of the polls predicted

ETA: it should also be noted that the bulk of the returns we are getting so far are from pro Hillary places, so as the night goes on her 60-40 number will probably drop as much as 5%

Last edited:
New York Times is showing:

Hillary: 594,685 votes 59.5% 104 delegates

Bernie: 405,547 votes 40.5 85% 85 delegates

50% reporting (7,536 of 15,067 precincts)

Its really time for Sanders to call it quits. With every loss and bit of bad news, his campaign becomes all the more vile and desperate. This past week especially, the way he behaved cuts against his message.

With that desperation comes hypocrisy to boot. It is mathematically impossible for him to win the nomination. So what is his answer? Target super delegates. This stinks of hypocrisy because since the beginning the Sanders camp has criticized the super delegate system as a subversion of democracy that goes against the will of the people.

So in other words, the guy who claims to be the champion of the people and has spent nearly a year saying that the super delegates should bend to the will of the people is no saying "they should overrule the people because I am more electable." Putting aside the fact that Sanders' seems to believe that losing an election to a person somehow makes you more electable than the person who beat you, the hypocrisy of all of it is apparent. This hypocrisy undercuts his message and makes him come off as no different from any other politician. He will do and say anything to gain power. So much for that revolution and him being different.

They weren't neck and neck in New York. New York polls have shown Clinton with a double digit lead for some time. Beyond that, Sanders's base is notoriously unreliable as voters. Nothing fishy went down.

Bernie has done better in New York than I thought he would. But as usual for every gain he makes Hillary pulls ahead even more.

Because all the Dem primaries are proportional, Bernie has to not only win but win by double digits to get the pledged delegates. He's sinking fast.

I'm surprised even 14% of NY primary voters went for Cruz. Who the hell are these people?

New York Times is saying he did well with orthodox jews. Which is frankly baffling.

Orthodox Jews are more likely to be conservative and be for the pro Israel talk Cruz does. When 75% of jewish people vote Democrat,that does mean 25% do vote Republican

Kasich did a lot better in my county than I expected. Thought Trump was going to get over 50% where I live.

I have to say for all the crying liberals such as myself make about voter disenfranchisement, if tonight's primary taught us anything NY might be one of the worst places in the country for stuff like registration and early voting. It's pretty hard for the Democrats to point finger at other states if they don't put NY on their voting issue hitlist

Looks like Trump has got 89 delegates. Kasich 3 with 3 up for grabs in super close races. One district is down to 1 vote for Trump either winning all or just being under 50%(and splitting those delegates 2-1)

ON a side note, I wonder if Ted Cruz will attack California values now. lol

Even without his stupid New York values comments, Cruz just doesn't have a natural base in New York. We really don't have an evangelical, conservatarian base that Cruz appeals to. New York Republicans are essentially either Rockefeller/Roosevelt styled moderate Republicans or Trump styled right-wing populist Republicans.

Even without his stupid New York values comments, Cruz just doesn't have a natural base in New York. We really don't have an evangelical, conservatarian base that Cruz appeals to. New York Republicans are essentially either Rockefeller/Roosevelt styled moderate Republicans or Trump styled right-wing populist Republicans.

While you are right, I do think he probably would have done slightly better not saying it(maybe even enough to get a few less delegates going to Trump). All that being said Ted can now only go to NY when he needs to fundraise and can spend the rest of his time in "Real America". All that being said I do think his NY Values comment will hurt him a bit in a few of those NE states up for primary next week

Looks like Trump has got 89 delegates. Kasich 3 with 3 up for grabs in super close races. One district is down to 1 vote for Trump either winning all or just being under 50%(and splitting those delegates 2-1)

ON a side note, I wonder if Ted Cruz will attack California values now. lol

"Those californians...they just dont have our values. Theyre not like the rest of America. All they care about is marijuana and surfing."

I really don't think that he could have done better. Even without the stupid comments, which played more against him in NYC, Cruz was just such a non factor here. It was pretty much the Donald Trump Show with people saying that they think that Kasich is a nice guy and should be Trump's VP. Trump sucked all the wind out of Cruz in NY.

I really don't think that he could have done better. Even without the stupid comments, which played more against him in NYC, Cruz was just such a non factor here. It was pretty much the Donald Trump Show with people saying that they think that Kasich is a nice guy and should be Trump's VP. Trump sucked all the wind out of Cruz in NY.

I am not saying he would have come anywhere close to winning but maybe he could have gotten like 3-5% more votes and take a slight cut into Trump's Delegate count(even if the bulk of those delegates would have went towards Kasich)

I don't think that he would have gotten an extra 3-5%. The comments neither helped or hurt him. He got blasted in NYC over them, but that outrage would have been neutralized by Upstate where there is a lot of resentment towards NYC.

I don't think that he would have gotten an extra 3-5%. The comments neither helped or hurt him. He got blasted in NYC over them, but that outrage would have been neutralized by Upstate where there is a lot of resentment towards NYC.

Personally I don't live in NY but I get sick of Republicans constantly bashing NYC, LA(Hollywood), San Francisco, Chicago, etc then tell us about "real America". Like i said it's generally not candidates looking to have a respectable career(it's more people pandering to win Iowa in a Republican primary since that will be the high point of their political career).

That being said I should probably add that Cruz (and anybody in the "Anybody But Trump" coalition) also made a mistake not putting an extra effort in NY. I think they could have got his delegate count down to 75 if they made a little effort instead they decided to lay on their back and do nothing(yes I get NY is expensive but if they truly want to bring Trump down they have to get every delegate they can)

I think this picture basically sums up what "real America" is to Republicans

real-20america-20-282-29.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member