8.03 - Toxic - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

^^^ not to mentione he is 6 yrs older than clark soe probably thinks it cool to yell at be bossy with younger people :)

seriously clark actas more mature than oliver despite hime being younger than him

same thing with lex both him and oliver are in their late 20's and yet they act so irresponsible

Oliver is basically acting like your parents when they talk about growing up and saying "you don't know your born" :woot:

Oliver: Phantoms? I had misquitos... pecking at me all the time and the sun burnt my back... bet you had a factor forty when you were with the red sun... well i didnt. Blisters all down me back for a week. gahh, don't know your born.... Phantoms my bloody ass.

I don't think that's what Oliver means. He's not presuming that Clark hasn't been though some tough crap in his life. By Clark not having found his island yet, it's supposed to mean that he hasn't had that life changing epiphany where he realizes he's got to dedicate his life to changing the world.

Not to mention that it is very Ollie like to give his opinion on things without fully understanding them. Clark is making a step forward to his destiny, obviously since he's working in the hub of where all chaos is reported. but Oliver has no way of seeing him proactively trying to change things. And lets face it, he's really not.

Until he's a symbol of hope and justice personified, he's merely treating symptoms, instead of the disease.
I think this is the key point here. While Clark is saving people and moving forward with the hero thing, he's still doing it when a disturbance is heard or seen close by. He's not really dealing with things, nor has he really thought about it, that happen outside the limits of SV and Metropolis. Ollie knows that Clark's powers are limitless, but his boundaries haven't been.

That's one thing I really liked about SR, the scene when Superman is in the sky with Lois and he tells her "You wrote that the world doesn't need a savior, but everyday I hear them crying out for one."
The way Clark has been portrayed in recent years, it seems like he has only embraced being a hero to people, mainly those close to him. But what Ollie is talking about is him being a savior to the entire planet, and that means saving the world not just when a supervillian challenges him.

This episode sucked his origin was not handled properly.

like i said by olicer little older thank clark and hime bieng probably 27 or 28 oliver has more life experince than clark

clark is like 21 or 22 that is college age mots of the people ofthis age group don't really think about what's going on whole world (i m not generalizing)

let clark be more older than he is now he will be thinking about whole global issues like oliver does

clark's maturitye is not on oliver's level YET

i m sure when oliver's ship crassed on island he would be probably what 20 or 21 and what he was doing

typical things partying or being spoilt brat

atleast clark being 21 acting more responsible when oliver was that age

Last edited:
Clark and Oliver respective lives have been very different, plus Ollie is older. Is not the same to be the son of a rich family than to be raised by a middle class family in a rural town and working in the family farm. Clark has closer ties to home, he's responsible of the farm, a family tradition, is more difficult to leave all that behind. Ollie had a more international perspective because of his family, so becoming a "global hero" was a logical step for him.

The irony of everything is Ollie beginning to struggle with himself, he started by getting drunk and bashing Clark, while Clark is moving in the opposite direction, being more at ease with himself before becoming Superman.

2bh with Oliver i can't really see him losing all his money.... he doesn't look as if he'd throw all his moeny away.

^oliver is always saying that

Oliver acted like a prick. I'm tired of people telling Clark what he should be doing, he knows what he wants, and they haven't a clue what its like to be him. And Clark didn't have to get bitten by mosquitoes (i laughed when he yelled that) to save people, its in his very nature.

Well then seven seasons of Smallville don't really matter do they? Silly me, I thought heroes have to actually prove themselves. If it was his nature to 'save people' and be a 'hero' he would've been out that farm door in episode 1 of season 1 saving people in Mexico or something. But he wasn't. Because he has a lot to learn, especially from people like Oliver.

Last edited:
The irony of everything is Ollie beginning to struggle with himself, he started by getting drunk and bashing Clark, while Clark is moving in the opposite direction, being more at ease with himself before becoming Superman.
Well they did say that they were going to do that this season. As Clark begins to embrace his destiny more and more, Oliver begins to question whether this is really what he wants after all.

anyone know roughly how long it will take the cw to get this episode up on their site, I thought that was cool that they finally took a nod from nbc and started putting full episodes online, but I was working and missed most of toxic and was wondering when it would be up.

Didn't care for this episode at all. I thought they should be focusing more on Clark rather than Oliver Queen, but that's just my opinion. I'm starting to miss Lex being on the show. It's caught up to me.

I like the episode but it wasn't as good as the previous two. I think the main complain about this one was the lack of Clark's airtime and most of us have already said it. Still this episode was far better than Jimmy "spy" Olsen episode or Kara's "miss universe Contest" or Lex/Lana fake pregancy.

Anyway if this is going to be Season 8's worst episode than Season 8 will be a kick a$$ season!

i thought it was a good episode and i didnt care about Clark not being in it that much his screen time was fine.

Alright heres my thoughts on the episode -

After seeing the 1st 15 mins, I pretty much got the same feeling I had when I watched the trailer for the episode...that it was gonna be littered with Green Arrow crap with Clark coming in now and again...

However glad to say I was very happy with this episode, was a well crafted story that gives further depth to the Tess Mercer character which I loved, I surprisingly really liked all the Oliver Queen/Green Arrow stuff as I usually dont like the episodes that focus on him mainly because its a Superman show not "The Adventures of Superman & Green Arrow"

& Again the flashbacks in the episode involving Oliver where actually part of the story which was all good as well, And Clark is getting more and more like the Clark we all know with every episode, there was the suit & the funny little bumble when Lois took his Coffee

Also the best scene of the entier episode was Olivers Speach to Clark about him fearing everything, hes yet to be really tested & that his version of Oliver's Island is out there...I really liked that

Chloe's character development as well is coming along nicely I'm really liking her being Super smart

Have to say I think this is one of the better episodes of the last 2 seasons

I personally think he wants more than anything to be normal. And maybe that's why Oliver got on his case. Oliver had the chance to be normal but realised that there are other more important things in the world. Living a double life as Green Arrow means he'll never be safe, he had to break up with Lois in order to keep her safe and who knows what other personal sacrifices he will have to make. But he made that decision, to live a double life conciously because there are things worth fighting for. And that's why he is fully entitled to look down on Clark who for 7 years has done good things, but he has held on to the wish to be completely human and live an ordinary life with Lana at his side. He's on the right path now but you don't change that over night.

Even as Superman, Clark wants to be normal. Isn't that the reason he created his Clark Kent "mild mannered reporter" persona. If that wasn't the case then he'd be Superman 24/7.

No, he didn't create the Clark Kent persona. That is who he is and that's why he isn't Superman 24/7. Because he is Clark as much as he is Superman, if not more.

No, he didn't create the Clark Kent persona. That is who he is and that's why he isn't Superman 24/7. Because he is Clark as much as he is Superman, if not more.

I see what your saying, but once he's revealed himself as Superman to the world, there's really no need for him to be Clark Kent. Superman is Clark's real persona, "Kal- El", that he shares with the world. Clark Kent "mild mannered reporter is his disguise. A way for him to be normal and not looked at like an alien god like figure.

Superman = Clark with superpowers.

Superman = Clark with superpowers.

On the Show yes. Since the name Superman doesn't exsist yet. But the Clark Kent known to the people of meteropolis, not so much. To them Clark Kent is just an ordinary citizen.

because Clark Kent is ordinary, Clark Kent is who he is to his friends, thats the real him, when he's Superman he's just a super powered hero that saves people.

And that's who he is on the show. He's pretty much Superman without the name and the costume.

no in the show he saves people but its more about him as a character Superman is the disguise he wears to save people while he can be Clark Kent, his real self.

no in the show he saves people but its more about him as a character Superman is the disguise he wears to save people while he can be Clark Kent, his real self.

actually, Superman is the disguise that Clark puts on so that he can be his real self. Clark is clearly not his 'true' self, because he is always have to hide, and lie to keep his secret. When he is finally liberated of that need to hide and lie, he will be superman. That being said, Superman is Clark, but... Superman is Clark without all the encumbrances that come along with being Clark. A Clark Kent free of his inhibitions is Superman

Last edited:

I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I would argue that Superman is who he really is , " Kal-EL", and Clark Kent is his disguise so he can blend in with society and be "normal". On the show, he's acting as Superman with out the name and the costume. Once he puts the suit on he'll be the same character he was on Smallville the only differnce being people will call him Superman instead of Clark Kent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"