8.03 - Toxic - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

actually, Superman is the disguise that Clark puts on so that he can be his real self. Clark is clearly not his 'true' self, because he is always have to hide, and lie to keep his secret. When he is finally liberated of that need to hide and lie, he will be superman. That being said, Superman is Clark, but... Superman is Clark without all the encumbrances that come along with being Clark. A Clark Kent free of his inhibitions is Superman

I've always thought of Superman's identity as the letter "Y"

He starts out in Smallville leading his life, discovering his powers, being who he really is, then at some point he decides to embrace his destiny and be the guardian of mankind so his life splits into two pieces, Superman/Kal-El where he is his fully powered Kryptonian self and then 'Clark Kent: Reporter" which is his disguise for being Superman where he attempts to blend in with humanity, but its not his true self.

In a way both "Superman" and "Clark Kent: Reporter" are disguises to varying degrees. When he's at home by himself, he's really closer to the guy that grew up in Smallville than the other two although once he dons the Superman mantle that really morphs into his Superman persona

After watching for a second time, this ep wasn't as bad. I still don't like that Ollie's beard doesn't grow despite being on an island for two years. (Also, I think they should've portrayed how hard it was for him on the island better than they did. That way, his tirade at the end wouldn't be so laughable. The way it was portrayed, you had no idea Ollie was on a deserted island for two years. Look at how they show this in Cast Away or Lost. I know they didn't have the time or budget, but they could've sold the desperation better. Ollie talking humorously to a slug before he doesn't eat it ain't gonna cut it. Also, a fake beard might have helped.)

But about how Ollie "treats" Clark at the end. I can forgive his dickery for two reasons. He was drunk and he just found out the murderer of his parents. And to make things worse, he realized that Clark knew about it but never told him. That's probably why he was so pissy at him.

in SV

he IS superman right now without the name superman and few uncertanties about his destiny

he is saving people, has ALMOST every superman powers

his supposed bumbling reporter persona will come when he wears the suit and is in public's eye and lois will give him name superman (althopugh lana already called him superman in 1st episode)

so u can say his nerdish bumbling reporter will be REAL disguise

his now normal clark kent persona is very equal to superman persona minus the suit and flight and some other powers

so i think in SV he is superman and reporter side will be his disguise

They should've called this ep "Vomit," 'cause that's what I felt creeping up my throat while watching it. It was bad, and I do not lightly speak of SV in such terms.

And can we let the 'Clark Kent vs Superman' thing go? Dude's not even Superman yet, so what's the point in debating?

You know, 1st Amendment rights and all, but he doesn't yet have a secret identity, so why debate which is the "real" persona?

^^^so u think when he wear his superman suit and starts flying he will be diffrent person all together than he is now

yea he will learn his role in the world and what he is suppsed to do However i don't see his personaly will be changed completly i mean he won't be suddenly diffrent person than he is now

^^^so u think when he wear his superman suit and starts flying he will be diffrent person all together than he is now

yea he will learn his role in the world and what he is suppsed to do However i don't see his personaly will be changed completly i mean he won't be suddenly diffrent person than he is now

yea his age will also play part his persepctive on glbal isseu will be changed when he more old maybe when he in his 30's

So, this wasn't *my* best either, huh?

It's not that I'm looking for validation, or anything, but no one had anything to discuss about my review? Nothing to pick apart?

:(

So, this wasn't *my* best either, huh?

It's not that I'm looking for validation, or anything, but no one had anything to discuss about my review? Nothing to pick apart?

:(

well as usual Triplet, I enjoyed your analysis of the episode. You were spot on how we didn't see much development in terms of "why" Oliver chose to become Green Arrow and so forth along with Justin seemingly not really giving his best performance in this episode.

please keep the reviews coming, I enjoy reading all of them.

well as usual Triplet, I enjoyed your analysis of the episode. You were spot on how we didn't see much development in terms of "why" Oliver chose to become Green Arrow and so forth along with Justin seemingly not really giving his best performance in this episode.

please keep the reviews coming, I enjoy reading all of them.

Yeah, as an origin it sucked.

But didn't anyone else notice how stupid the damn tent was?

:confused:

what you mean trip?

Did you read my review?

*sigh*

The tent? Where did they get such a huge ass tent? Where did they get all that stuff they put in it?

Why, if Marcos and his shotgun-wielding and marine biologist kidnapping buddy were trying to get to Thailand as quickly as possible, did they bother even putting it up?

And if they had gone to the trouble of putting it up and filling it with all that stuff for some reason, why on earth were they willing to just walk away from it once Ollie was well again?

It didn't look like they were going to pack their **** up, did it?

Dumb, but it sure was filmed very well and was pretty for a army surplus tent.

:dry:

Where did they get such a huge ass tent? Where did they get all that stuff they put in it?

Why, if Marcos and his shotgun-wielding and marine biologist kidnapping buddy were trying to get to Thailand as quickly as possible, did they bother even putting it up?

And if they had gone to the trouble of putting it up and filling it with all that stuff for some reason, why on earth were they willing to just walk away from it once Ollie was well again?

Maybe they thought the island was well situated and remote enough to make it their HQ for future stops - keep some stuff hidden there - ? Perhaps they originally planned on just a quick repair stop and then set it up for good. Or it could be the continuity error you suspect.

Maybe they thought the island was well situated and remote enough to make it their HQ for future stops - keep some stuff hidden there - ? Perhaps they originally planned on just a quick repair stop and then set it up for good. Or it could be the continuity error you suspect.

I think they weren't really thinking about it, they did what they thought would look pretty, and it did, but didn't think about the logistics involved.

I think designers need to think of the practical parts of their designs and not just the pretty parts.

Now, I'm all about the pretty. I have my shallow moments, but only if it makes sense.

I mean, in the baby blowing up episode, I forget the name of it, they were all very gorgeously dressed, but they changed freakin' clothes between when they were looking for the kid the night before and when Clark talked to Lana about it the next morning in the kitchen.

They'd actually both had said, if I'm remembering this correctly, that they'd been out all night looking.

When did Clark and Lana decide it was time to change their clothes and she decide to redo her hair?

The designer had them change clothes because it was pretty and the clothes they changed into were better suited for the scenes around the kid finally blowing up for the last time, or whatever, but it made little sense in context of the episode and what the characters were doing.

It's like that with the tent.

What they did was pretty, but wasn't logical.

*shrug*

It wasn't a deal breaker, but it bothered me so I mentioned it.

I like the review although I thought it was a little harsh. IMO, the episode was good and it deserves a little more credit but yes, it was too focused on Oliver Queen.

keep up the good work! :cwink:

Well, I thought Oliver's story wasn't well told...

It was supposed to be Oliver's origin, yet we learned little new about him.

Even worse: I saw no substantive difference from the man he was then to the man he is now.

For an origin, that's a fail on its most basic level to me, but to each his own.

*shrug*

Again, he certainly looked pretty and he showed off his great pecs and abs and lats and delts everything else that is nice about his torso, but it largely turned into an excuse to have Ollie to remove his shirt.

Sorta like his scenes with Tess in Committed.

What was the point?

meh... I wasn't too happy with this episode, Caroline has delivered so much better writing before it wasn't really her best effort in this case however.

Last edited:
It was supposed to be Oliver's origin, yet we learned little new about him.

Even worse: I saw no substantive difference from the man he was then to the man he is now.
he certainly looked pretty and he showed off his great pecs and abs and lats and delts everything else that is nice about his torso, but it largely turned into an excuse to have Ollie to remove his shirt.

Sorta like his scenes with Tess in Committed.

What was the point?

They seem to do this more and more, almost to emphasize the difference between Ollie and Clark. Wish they'd use some other metaphor.

I think the episode wasn't that "bad" but I think they could have make much much better with Ollie's life.
I think it is amazing how they got it sooooo right sometimes, and so wrong the other days. Overall, the episode was empty. I would have loved to see more of Ollie, I think the actor is pretty good and I think the relationship with Clark is well depicted.

I enjoyed this review also...but...and yes, there is a but. :p

I also thought you were a little harsh on the episode, but it seems most people didn't care for this one as much. You are correct, as an origin, it wasn't told that well...but I think they were more telling the origin of how Tess and Oliver met, and his part of it was more of an "in passing" thing. I thought for what it was though, it was very enjoyable.

I don't know if we need a whole episode dedicated to Oliver's origin, since it involves basically him stranded on an Island for a while. It gave us what we needed though: Oliver stranded and trains to survive on the Island. They also had him mention that he realized the fact that he needed to move past his spoiled rich kid thing and do something to help people.

It wasn't the best way to tell it, but it was servicable and more importantly to me...enjoyable.

Great review though. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"