It's a shame that The Dark Knight will probably be darker than this Punisher remake

SpandexFan

Civilian
Reaction score
Okay, I'm not sure why this thread was freaking locked after 1 second. I feel it's a legit point. Mods, I would appreciate an explanation instead of overreactionary tactics because you're probably used to fanboy vs. troll. But again....

PG-13?

If there is ANY character who deserves a dark version, it's the Punisher. While the Ray Stevenson character reminds me of the Garth Ennis interpretation, the trailer for this film reminds me of some cornball Schumacher Batman film.

Action films are plenty. You have to do something that appeals to the hardcore action fans. Punisher is not the type of superhero who can have success with a general mainstream film. Frankly, I'd rather watch a Die Hard or Rambo if they're going to try and give him a fluffy superhero approach.

It's just a shame that after watching TDK that took realism, psychology, and darkness to such extreme levels for a popular comic character, that Punisher will probably come nowhere close to those levels, even though he deserves it more than Batman.

P.S. This is not about the PG-13 rating. Just the approach to the character. Please don't generalize on the first sentence.

PG-13 was debunked over a week ago.

and comparing it with the TDK is like comparing apples and oranges. Two completely different things.

Moving on.

PG-13 was debunked over a week ago.

and comparing it with the TDK is like comparing apples and oranges. Two completely different things.

Moving on.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head.

This thread fails.

you_fail_012.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see PWZ and the trailers for it doesn't really look bad at all but I find it kind of ironic that Lexi would take the most realistic comic character and stick him in a "comic-booky, surreal" environment while the filmmakers behind The Dark Knight, Iron Man and even the new Incredible Hulk movie ground those characters in real-world setting. Thats kind of odd but hey, thats just me.

The 'comic-booky, surreal' environment begins and ends with the lighting from what I've seen. Besides that, he's very much a real-world character, even sporting highly-protective bulletproof armour. The only thing that makes it look cartoony besides the lighting is the sometimes over-the-top kills, but that's gonna happen in a hard-R movie.

It doesn't have to happen though, there was no need to throw him on that chandelier..they got it right with the first punisher, they just needed to make it more bloody and more badass imo. This just looks like its gonna be a rated R spiderman 3.

I agree with the chandelier bit, but no way in Hell did the 89 Punisher film "get it right."

I'm really hoping TDK does well, it will force Marvel to reinvent their films. Someday we could be seeing a professional looking Punisher, with no campy stupid Jigsaw, no dangling from chandeliers, and break dance fighting on table tops. I'll give Lexi's film a chance because to me it looks so original and unique, but in no way will I ever consider the Warzone film a true Punisher film. I do wonder how the 89 film would have played if Michael Pare was cast instead of Lundgren, I loved Moon 44.

I am amazed at how much Ray looks like Punisher, I just wish his accent was more Queens, and less boy scout.

That line about getting his hands on God make me wonder, he just didnt convince me he would actually win in that fight.

I agree with the chandelier bit, but no way in Hell did the 89 Punisher film "get it right."

I'm really hoping TDK does well, it will force Marvel to reinvent their films. Someday we could be seeing a professional looking Punisher, with no campy stupid Jigsaw, no dangling from chandeliers, and break dance fighting on table tops. I'll give Lexi's film a chance because to me it looks so original and unique, but in no way will I ever consider the Warzone film a true Punisher film. I do wonder how the 89 film would have played if Michael Pare was cast instead of Lundgren, I loved Moon 44.

I am amazed at how much Ray looks like Punisher, I just wish his accent was more Queens, and less boy scout.

That line about getting his hands on God make me wonder, he just didnt convince me he would actually win in that fight.
Dude I think he's talking about the 04 film.But it don't matter what film he is talking about,he should pick up a Punisher Max book.So he can see that they are going for the Max bloody gory violence.And classic Punisher,which show more of his human side. :unishr:

One more time, for the record:

The film will not be PG-13. It will be an R.

Lexi Alexander was not kicked off the film.

This movie will be released in theaters. It will not be direct to DVD.

The "Get my hands on God" line is a direct quote from the Max comic, Widowmaker arc, Issue #44. It was inserted into the trailer to show us, the fans of the comic, that they were trying to be faithful to the source material. The lack of faithfulness to the comics was a big complaint amongst us regarding the '89 and '04 films, so the people making the film are trying to tell us they've learned from mistakes of the past.

Seriously, the negative emotions associated with this movie are awful, and it won't even be released for 3 more months! The negative hype is like football fans crying that their team won't get to a BCS bowl this year...in August.

I realize the chandelier scene is a bit cheesy, but this film has got to make money to keep the franchise alive, and that means drawing in movie-goers who dig the cheese and/or don't know the awesomeness that is Frank Castle. Seriously, if Lionsgate made a film that featured nothing but references to the comics that only nerds like us get, the movie would fail, and we'd all be back here *****ing about it.

You sound like most of us when the 04 film was announced. What bugs me is why can't they do a direct translation to the stories involved in MAX instead of this amalgamation? Punisher: In the Beginnning...
Punisher:Kitchen Irish

I actually don't care for Kitchen Irish. I found it a bit slow and all over the place. I know there's sort of a fanbase for Maginity, but I didn't find him all that compelling either. If there's gotta be a direct-to-film adaptation of a MAX comic, I'd rather mix In the Beginning with The Slavers. Now that would 'out-dark' TDK anyday!

Although no evil Microchip! Haha

I'm really hoping TDK does well, it will force Marvel to reinvent their films.
?? Second highest grossing movie of all time? You don't have to hope, it did well. That doesn't mean Marvel needs to make every one of their movies dark and realistic. Iron Man was amazing, and Hulk looks good, although I haven't seen it.

I would like In the Beginning, as well as Up is Down, Black is White.

I actually don't care for Kitchen Irish. I found it a bit slow and all over the place. I know there's sort of a fanbase for Maginity, but I didn't find him all that compelling either. If there's gotta be a direct-to-film adaptation of a MAX comic, I'd rather mix In the Beginning with The Slavers. Now that would 'out-dark' TDK anyday!

Too true, I as well found Irish tedious at times, but when I finally read through it, the ending was just damn!!!! I loved Kitchen Irish, if you took time to read it you would love it. I see where your going with Mginty, he appealed to me because Im black/Irish as well, but he is a rather plain villain when you look at it.

Although no evil Microchip! Haha

?? Second highest grossing movie of all time? You don't have to hope, it did well. That doesn't mean Marvel needs to make every one of their movies dark and realistic. Iron Man was amazing, and Hulk looks good, although I haven't seen it.

no, not necessarily dark, just taken more seriously, Ironman was great but a bit camp at times. I want to see serious stories such as the ones that made Claremont famous. Marvel comics has a lot of great stories that would just kick all kinds of ass.

Nicky Cavella is one of my favorite villains, and I feel like those are just so well written.

I loved Kitchen Irish, if you took time to read it you would love it. I see where your going with Mginty, he appealed to me because Im black/Irish as well, but he is a rather plain villain when you look at it.

Oh, well I DID take the time to read it, it's not like I just skimmed the first few pages. I think it did have some good parts, and I thought the concept behind it was interesting, the Irish gangs banding together... and when Punisher steps into the old Irish pub going "Anyone who doesn't want to die for Ireland better leave now" was amazing.

But there was enough stuff I didn't like, such as Yorkie (who I thought was good in Man of Stone), the whole part about the kidnapped IRA kid, and the ending that kept me from liking the book as a whole.

Ironman was great but a bit camp at times.
Really? Where abouts? I thought it handled itself well throughout.

Slavers,Up is Down and Black is White would be great Punisher films:)And somehow they can put Barrcuda in one of them:word:Dec 5th The Punishment Begins.:unishr:

They kinda already ****ed up Slavers by wasting the Bulats on this movie. I know you can change the characters names and what not, but it just bugs me they did it.

Another MAX arc I really like is Mother Russia, although, I don't know if that would make a very good Punisher movie.

I don't think they would get the budget to do a adaptation of that story, at least not a good one. It would be filled with Canadian actors doing horrible Russian accents.

Or they could just shoot it in Russia. I'm sure prices are pretty low there, it's just extras are... well... Russian. Stuff like that might work for Van Helsing which their actors are supposed to sound eastern European, but not for most movies, which are often set in USA.

But I don't know. I can't find a Mother Russia TPB anywhere, so I can't comment, but I think Russia would be a weird place to put Punisher. Maybe if he'd already been in a few movies in a series, a la Jason Bourne. As it stands, I'd think NY is the best place for the Punisher to do his thing.

They kinda already ****ed up Slavers by wasting the Bulats on this movie. I know you can change the characters names and what not, but it just bugs me they did it.
But Cristu Bulat is still alive and it not like they did what SM3 did.Like having Gwen Stacy in the movie,even though she is killed in the comic.Now that bother the hell out of me(she should had been in SM1)

Barracuda deserves his own movie! Was laughing my *** off while reading his one shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"