91st Annual Academy Awards

Kevin Feige was there on behalf of Black Panther, or at least listed. It wasn't Ryan Coogler.

If Lady Gaga stars in any other movies, I'd like her to keep her natural look from A Star is Born. In fact, I'd like her to use that look on stage in her concerts.

That role was so tailor made for her that I don’t see her being a lead or co-lead in much else.

She’ll have A Star is Born II: Electric Boogaloo to look forward to.

The sequel will focus on her being the aging mentor to a younger dude she falls in love with. Or a girl, if you really wanna get some acclaim.

It would be nice to see an african american lead movie nominated for best picture and win that doesnt deal with racism in someway. I feel like the academy is too in love with those types of storiesto pass up. Black panther dealt with racism from killmongers perspective of the world too.

Im just tired racism fuel stories and old Victorian period pieces of women in puffy dresses and white painted faces.

Give me something like inception or nightcrawler or even social network just once over the norm.

It would be nice to see an african american lead movie nominated for best picture and win that doesnt deal with racism in someway. I feel like the academy is too in love with those types of storiesto pass up. Black panther dealt with racism from killmongers perspective of the world too.

Im just tired racism fuel stories and old Victorian period pieces of women in puffy dresses and white painted faces.

Give me something like inception or nightcrawler or even social network just once over the norm.

I found it refreshing to get a fluffy rom com like Love Simon where for once a gay character’s life isn’t an angstfest and it’s not about a hate crime or AIDS or conversion therapy.

I wonder if black viewers feel the same way about getting movies not about racism.

I found it refreshing to get a fluffy rom com like Love Simon where for once a gay character’s life isn’t an angstfest and it’s not about a hate crime or AIDS or conversion therapy.

I wonder if black viewers feel the same way about getting movies not about racism.

I havent seen that yet. I found spiderman into the spiderverse a breath of fresh air, even if it was live action they ignored the minority political talk and just said here is a character and his story and go along for the rideas the viewer.

I

I hear you. But it’s a double edged sword. In general, the Academy generally only nominates performances that are dramatic to begin with. And for African Americans, most dramatic roles they are offered have to do with struggles with their race, either in a historical context or modern interpretation.

I think the movie Fences was probably the last movie that featured an African American cast that wasn’t solely about race. It was part of the story, but it was more about a family struggling to stay together.

I hear you. But it’s a double edged sword. In general, the Academy generally only nominates performances that are dramatic to begin with. And for African Americans, most dramatic roles they are offered have to do with struggles with their race, either in a historical context or modern interpretation.

I think the movie Fences was probably the last movie that featured an African American cast that wasn’t solely about race. It was part of the story, but it was more about a family struggling to stay together.

Fences was good, I just wanna a movie with african american leads that rises above that stereotype of oscars and is a drama but in the vein of like the descendants or even a good mob story like american gangster, granted that had hints of racism but denzels character was treated as an equal and respect most roles dont offer.

I just dont think racism should be the easy way to a nomination and win

I think any George Clooney movie that’s been nominated like Air Up There or Michael Clayton could have easily had an African American lead and it wouldn’t have made a difference. The problem is you probably needed a name like Clooney to get those movies made, assuming Denzel or Will didn’t want to do it.

I can’t remember who said it recently, but basically African Americans just want a chance to even audition. But Hollywood is just too scared to bank a movie on an AA lead because it doesn’t do well internationally, people won’t accept a black man with a white woman, etc.

I think any George Clooney movie that’s been nominated like Air Up There or Michael Clayton could have easily had an African American lead and it wouldn’t have made a difference. The problem is you probably needed a name like Clooney to get those movies made, assuming Denzel or Will didn’t want to do it.

I can’t remember who said it recently, but basically African Americans just want a chance to even audition. But Hollywood is just too scared to bank a movie on an AA lead because it doesn’t do well internationally, people won’t accept a black man with a white woman, etc.

Will Smith was romantically paired with Margot Robbie in that one heist/con movie.

And I remember there were a lot of articles written about that. But it’s Will Smith, who’s earned the audience acceptance.

Moonlight just won like two years ago and had nothing to do with racism.

Speaking of Will Smith, Pursuit of Happyness was nominated which wasn’t about race.

A lot of Smith films don’t involve racism.

It shocking to me how many people have seemingly forgotten Moonlight - which probably says more about the film than anything else.

It shocking to me how many people have seemingly forgotten Moonlight - which probably says more about the film than anything else.

I think it says more that people have very short memories and can’t remember what YouTube video they watched 5 minutes ago.

I'll be honest, I am CONSTANTLY forgetting what movies were at last year's Oscars. Like, I keep thinking it was the La La Land/Moonlight debacle, and it always takes me a couple minutes to remember The Shape of Water was a movie that happened, and I can never remember any of its competition. I don't know if I'm just getting old or what.

I'll be honest, I am CONSTANTLY forgetting what movies were at last year's Oscars. Like, I keep thinking it was the La La Land/Moonlight debacle, and it always takes me a couple minutes to remember The Shape of Water was a movie that happened, and I can never remember any of its competition. I don't know if I'm just getting old or what.

I'm still on a high for a genre film winning the Oscar. Also love Guillermo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"