Days of Future Past Do you think the 'Days of Future Past' comic storyline was done justice?

Do you think the 'Days of Future Past' comic storyline was done justice?\

Well, I think the film is much much better than the comic it's based on, so yes.

The movie story is practically the same as the comic, but with different characters, locations and other plot stuff. I say they did justice to the story and themes. The Cartoon version was also very different to the original comic and I enjoyed those adaption as well. It is good to see different versions of the story.

The movie story is practically the same as the comic, but with different characters, locations and other plot stuff. I say they did justice to the story and themes. The Cartoon version was also very different to the original comic and I enjoyed those adaption as well. It is good to see different versions of the story.

I think this film along with The Wolverine is closest in spirit to a specific X-Men comic storyline yet, some of the other films take a lot of liberties especially First Class and X3.

I'm glad Wolverine didn't get sent back in time and told Charles about the future and then he's like "Ok, Logan let's go!" like in the DOFP comic with Kitty and Storm. They created A LOT more conflict in the film version. Plus, they couldn't use some of the locations that were in the comic such as Franklin Richards and the Baxter Building because of the rights issues with Fantastic Four etc.

And yes, the cartoon episodes of DOFP was very different than the comic too with Bishop, Gambit, Forge, Jubilee etc.

Last edited:
I think this film along with The Wolverine is closest in spirit to a specific X-Men comic storyline yet, some of the other films take a lot of liberties especially First Class and X3.

I'm glad Wolverine didn't get sent back in time and told Charles about the future and then he's like "Ok, Logan let's go!" like in the DOFP comic with Kitty and Storm. They created A LOT more conflict in the film version. Plus, they couldn't use some of the locations that were in the comic such as Franklin Richards and the Baxter Building because of the rights issues with Fantastic Four etc.

And yes, the cartoon episodes of DOFP was very different than the comic too with Bishop, Gambit, Forge, Jubilee etc.

What rights issues with Fantastic Four? :huh: X-Men and F4 are both with Fox. There are no 'issues'.

The reason they didn't use Baxter Building and Franklin Richards is because they are about to relaunch F4 and to show those two things in the future would be putting the cart before the horse. They need to re-establish the F4 first. Fingers crossed they get it right.

X-Maniac said:
What rights issues with Fantastic Four? X-Men and F4 are both with Fox. There are no 'issues'.

Separate contracts. Fox doesn't own the X-Men and FF, it licenses the right to make films about them from Marvel. Unless the wording of the contracts specifically allow for crossovers (we don't know either way), they would have to renegotiate with Disney in order to gain approval.

Separate contracts. Fox doesn't own the X-Men and FF, it licenses the right to make films about them from Marvel. Unless the wording of the contracts specifically allow for crossovers (we don't know either way), they would have to renegotiate with Disney in order to gain approval.

No. You're inventing 'difficulties' where there might not be any.

I'm not inventing anything. Fox doesn't own these properties. Disney does. Fox just licenses them, and their contracts say what they are allowed to do.

So if language regarding a crossover isn't in the contracts then Fox WILL get sued, and punishment could result from anything to financial compensation to the contracts being ripped up and the rights for the X-Men and Fantastic Four returning to Marvel. This would especially be true in this case because one of the few things we do know about those contracts is that Disney receives a much higher percentage of the gross of these films from Fantastic Four (around 10%) than for X-Men (around 1%). At the very least Disney's financial share would be in question (Disney would argue the higher number and Fox the lower). Fox wouldn't risk losing the rights, and Disney would most likely not agree to renegotiate.

So a crossover isn't happening unless the current contracts specifically allow for it.

I'm not inventing anything. Fox doesn't own these properties. Disney does. Fox just licenses them, and their contracts say what they are allowed to do.

So if language regarding a crossover isn't in the contracts then Fox WILL get sued, and punishment could result from anything to financial compensation to the contracts being ripped up and the rights for the X-Men and Fantastic Four returning to Marvel. This would especially be true in this case because one of the few things we do know about those contracts is that Disney receives a much higher percentage of the gross of these films from Fantastic Four (around 10%) than for X-Men (around 1%). At the very least Disney's financial share would be in question (Disney would argue the higher number and Fox the lower). Fox wouldn't risk losing the rights, and Disney would most likely not agree to renegotiate.

So a crossover isn't happening unless the current contracts specifically allow for it.

Since we don't know what's in the contracts, then you are being melodramatic by creating these obstacles.

But it's not really an issue anyway, since there are no current plans to have an X-Men/F4 crossover.

The contracts are also the reason we will never have a live action X-Men TV series.

It was determined during the Mutant X lawsuit that Marvel has the rights to any live action series featuring the X-Men, but Fox has a lockout clause. Meaning, only Disney can make an X-Men TV show but they need to get approval from Fox to do so. That will never happen, so one isn't going to get made.

We don't know for certain whether or not the X-Men character family licensing agreement and the separate Fantastic Four character family licensing agreement with Marvel allows for intra-contract crossovers. However, given that the agreements were signed way back in the 90s (well before crossovers were desirable), Zak Penn (X-Men and MCU writer) has said that FOX crossovers are not allowed, and Simon Kinberg announced a FOX/Marvel merged universe and then recently backed off of that notion, I would say that the X-Men/FF crossover that no one is asking for is unlikely to ever occur.

Since we don't know what's in the contracts, then you are being melodramatic by creating these obstacles.

We can only speculate at this point in time. The one hint that we have is that Zak Penn apparently tried to write a crossover at one point a few years ago and was told by Fox that he couldn't do it.

We don't know for certain whether or not the X-Men character family licensing agreement and the separate Fantastic Four character family licensing agreement with Marvel allows for intra-contract crossovers. However, given that the agreements were signed way back in the 90s (well before crossovers were desirable), Zak Penn (X-Men and MCU writer) has said that FOX crossovers are not allowed, and Simon Kinberg announced a FOX/Marvel merged universe and then recently backed off of that notion, I would say that the X-Men/FF crossover that no one is asking for is unlikely to ever occur.

Ages ago, a message was passed to me from Zak Penn that he was misquoted over saying that crossovers were not allowed. So the exact position remains unclear.

But a crossover isn't needed anyway, nor is it on the cards.

We can only speculate at this point in time. The one hint that we have is that Zak Penn apparently tried to write a crossover at one point a few years ago and was told by Fox that he couldn't do it.

Zak passed a message to me that he was misquoted. He said: "I never asked Fox to do anything, nor did they stop me, those legal issues are not even up for debate."

It has the spirit of comic, but in much better way than what we saw at 38 pages.

Zak passed a message to me that he was misquoted. He said: "I never asked Fox to do anything, nor did they stop me, those legal issues are not even up for debate."

Well, I did say 'hint.' It still doesn't really change the argument. I don't really trust the word of anybody in the industry fully anyways. Just like I didn't trust Avi Arad when he said Marvel couldn't use The Kingpin (oops, turns out they can).

The argument is still the same. The wording needs to be in the contracts for Fox to be able to do a crossover. Is it there? I don't know. But with the information we have it is far from certain that Fox can do one.

Well, I did say 'hint.' It still doesn't really change the argument. I don't really trust the word of anybody in the industry fully anyways. Just like I didn't trust Avi Arad when he said Marvel couldn't use The Kingpin (oops, turns out they can).

The argument is still the same. The wording needs to be in the contracts for Fox to be able to do a crossover. Is it there? I don't know. But with the information we have it is far from certain that Fox can do one.

Well, no. Your assertion was that Franklin Richards and the Baxter Building didn't appear in DoFP because of an issue over rights to any X-Men/F4 crossover.

My point was that it's not been established if there is any 'issue' with such a crossover.

However, there is, at this point, no plans we know about for an X-Men/F4 crossover, nor have the contractual facts on this been spelled out.

I doubt we would see X-Men and F4 crossing over any time soon because, creatively, the F4 need to be re-established first.

I think it's pretty simple. Fox can crossover X-Men and Fan4 because they OWN the film rights for these characters.

I agree with X-Maniac, Kahran Ramsus is making this way too complicated.

There are those on this board who claim fox can't crossover the seprate marvel properties they own. I have no idea If they can or not.

Well, no. Your assertion was that Franklin Richards and the Baxter Building didn't appear in DoFP because of an issue over rights to any X-Men/F4 crossover.

My point was that it's not been established if there is any 'issue' with such a crossover.

However, there is, at this point, no plans we know about for an X-Men/F4 crossover, nor have the contractual facts on this been spelled out.

I doubt we would see X-Men and F4 crossing over any time soon because, creatively, the F4 need to be re-established first.

That was not my assertion. You said that there was no rights issue because Fox had both properties and could cross them over.

X-Maniac said:
What rights issues with Fantastic Four? X-Men and F4 are both with Fox. There are no 'issues'.

My point is that is not necessarily the case. Just because Fox has licensed both FF and X-Men, doesn't necessarily mean they can use them in the same film.

That was not my assertion. You said that there was no rights issue because Fox had both properties and could cross them over.

My understanding is that there is no rights issue. Zak Penn said there was no legal block to a crossover.

My point is that is not necessarily the case. Just because Fox has licensed both FF and X-Men, doesn't necessarily mean they can use them in the same film.

And it doesn't necessarily mean they CAN'T use them either.

You are determined to be negative about this, I can see that.

I think it's pretty simple. Fox can crossover X-Men and Fan4 because they OWN the film rights for these characters.

I agree with X-Maniac, Kahran Ramsus is making this way too complicated.

No, they don't. Disney owns the rights to those characters. Marvel (prior to the Disney purchase) gave Fox exclusive licenses to Fox to use those characters in films. That's the difference. Disney can have Iron Man and Captain America in the same film because they own those characters. Fox does not own The X-Men and The Fantastic Four and as a result are bound to whatever terms the licensing agreements allow.

marvelrobbins said:
There are those on this board who claim fox can't crossover the seprate marvel properties they own. I have no idea If they can or not.

None of us know. Not unless some of us are high level Fox or Disney executives or attorneys with access to the contracts. We can speculate, nothing more.

And it doesn't necessarily mean they CAN'T use them either.

You are determined to be negative about this, I can see that.

You were the one using absolutes. Not me.

Well, there is no rights issue, I was right about that.

Fox has the screen rights to the X-Men and F4.

The point of debate here is whether the contracts allow for those characters to appear in each other's films.

Zak Penn said there was no legal block to a crossover. Also, there was a brief moment where Reed stretched his face into a Wolverine lookalike in the extended edition of the first F4 movie. But we've not had - nor are we likely to get, unless Feige gets pinned down by a geeky web writer at a comic-con - any definitive statement as to whether crossovers are allowed.

I enjoy it regardless of the changes, hell I always loved the 90's animated series version of DoFP and they changed quite a bit. As far as I'm concerned it's just another fun way to tell a tale I enjoy.

No, they don't. Disney owns the rights to those characters. Marvel (prior to the Disney purchase) gave Fox exclusive licenses to Fox to use those characters in films. That's the difference. Disney can have Iron Man and Captain America in the same film because they own those characters. Fox does not own The X-Men and The Fantastic Four and as a result are bound to whatever terms the licensing.

Everything I've read says Fox owns the rights to make X-Men & Fan4 movies. I don't see the difference between what you've been saying versus what we've been saying.

And Marvel didn't "give" Fox those rights. Fox bought them. Same way Sony bought Spider-Man.

So you're saying Fox doesn't own the rights to make an X-Men?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"