Days of Future Past Do you think the 'Days of Future Past' comic storyline was done justice?

speno94

Civilian
Reaction score
As you know, the X-Men films have not really been faithful to the comic story lines or character backstories. Obviously, all comic book films take liberties, but the X-Men films have taken more liberties than most.

- X1 was not faithful with the original line-up of mutants.
- X2 took a lot of liberties with the God Loves, Man Kills storyline like Stryker not really having a preacher background etc
- X3 REALLY changed the Dark Phoenix storyline.
- Origins was not faithful to the Weapon X storyline at all
- First Class made A LOT of changes and had nothing to do with the First Class storyline and some characters like Mystique as Xavier's adopted sister etc
- The Wolverine I thought was pretty faithful and kept the spirit of the Japanese storyline out of all the X-Men films.

Simon Kinberg in recent interviews said that he regrets some decisions he made on X-Men: The Last Stand with the Dark Phoenix story arc etc

My question is do you think Simon Kinberg and the filmmakers redeemed themselves and did the DOFP storyline justice. Sure, it does change some elements like it is Trask they have to stop being assassinated instead of Senator Kelly and Wolverine is the one who gets sent back instead of Kitty etc, but I think they kept the spirit of the comic and probably is the most faithful out of all the X-Men films and is adapted rather well.

X-Men have imo not taken more liberties, they are about even with most others

It was true to the other films, more importantly.

And about as true to the comics as the other movies.

Short answer - Yes

They kept the spirit of it thats the most important thing, any changes were done with good intentions, cant really complain at that.

Well, first off, the first X-Men movie was NOT the first X-Men movie line-up, at least not after FC. Of course that wasn't something established at the time of the first movie.

The line up in the first film never bothered me though. You certainly can't be constrained to the original publications. There hasn't been a Batman film yet that remotely accurately reflected Det. Comics 27.

X2 could be considered the first one that was actually a more direct adaptation of a specific story in the books, though not so "openly," if you will, as DOFP.

FC wasn't really a direct "adaptation" either, but in referencing the actual original first class one might have certain expectations, however they were obviously constrained by what they had already done, and which characters they'd established, ect.

DOFP was similarly constrained by what they had already done, and I would say that was arguably where the majority of the "changes" came from.
Kitty wouldn't have been born to go back into her younger body, so they obviously had to come up with an alternative. I rather like how they justified using Logan as well.
Similarly, Sen. Kelly was killed off in the future, so obviously could NOT have been assassinated in the past as well, lol.
Trask made sense as alternative possible target.

Any who, considering the major changes were a result of the corners the previous films had painted them into, you can't really "judge" them the same/hold them against them.
As such, they are arguably MUCH more forgivable than the previous changes in the franchise, despite being the direct result of said previous changes, lol.
All that said, as I said, not only did they make them work, but I really liked them.

I think X-Men 2 also did a pretty good job with their changes, i thing Bryan Singer is good at adapting known storylines and making them fit in his filmverse.

The original trilogy was more faithful than most people give it credit for. Just as faithful as the other Marvel movies anyway.

X1- May not have been the original lineup, but it was the line-up that was most popular at the time. Also as Wolverine joins, the X-Men are already an established team with years of experience. So does that really matter? X3 even establishes Beast as a previous member, which implies they've had past battles.

X2- Even utilizing 'God Loves, Man Kills', makes it pretty damn faithful in my opinion. As for Stryker not having a preacher background, that's seems pretty pedantic on your part.

X3- Like before, they should get points for utilizing the source material such as 'Dark Phoenix Saga' and 'Gifted'. The film was awful though so that's as far as I will go to defend it.

Origins- See previous two. It amalgamates 'Weapon X' and 'Origin' decently enough. Film could have worked if given to more deft hands and studio that actually gave a crap about the series.

First Class- This is the only film that veered off into its own direction. But even then, I think delving into its own movie mythos was quite clever and original.

Wolverine- Haven't seen yet.

It was a good effort at the storyline and kept enough intact for it to be considered favourably alongside the source material.

Yeah I think it did but it's a shame they lost that imagery of wolverine getting vaporised so that only his adamantium skeleton remains. I understand the reasons why they couldn't include it but oh well.

Besides that, very happy.

Yeah I think it did but it's a shame they lost that imagery of wolverine getting vaporised so that only his adamantium skeleton remains. I understand the reasons why they couldn't include it but oh well.

Besides that, very happy.

I agree. It's not a HUGE deal, but I wish we got a good Wolverine vs Sentinal fight in the future because his new costume is great and he has his adamantium claws back and it would have been great to see that type of imagery with Wolverine getting vaporised like you said etc

It's a bit of a shame because in the past he couldn't really fight that Sentinal because his bone claws got stuck in the gattling gun and couldn't slice things like he did with the adamantium claws and while I liked that because it made him more vulnerable, we didnt get an epic fight.

I was thinking something. After Wolverine was drowning and wasn't involved anymore, why didn't Kitty wake him up? I mean I doubt waking Wolverine up would change the past since it was Xavier, Mystique, and Magneto. That way we could see maybe Wolverine fight a future Sentinels with his metal claws and we would see a Sentinel kill him like the comic.

The only thing I wanted was a poster like the classic comic cover. Well thank God we have fans.

3057887-2266410697-Days-.jpg

I think there is a better poster out there. One with Wolverine and Kitty's future suits from the film.

Overall I think it did the comic justice in the best way it could in the X-Men film universe but I think the comic is a better story. Still both stories are great.

I think there is another very important element that has been adapted.

In Days of Future Past, Kitty Pryde (Earth-811) travel back in time to Earth-616.

In the film, I think this key element was adapted. The apocalyptic future is not one of the trilogy. The viral campaign described the timeline leading to the apocalyptic future (Magneto in prison for 50 years, deployed Sentinel in 1973, etc...).

It's very subtle. Only fans can realize that (noting the inconsistency of Stryker does not recognize Wolverine in 1973 for example).

I agree. It's not a HUGE deal, but I wish we got a good Wolverine vs Sentinal fight in the future because his new costume is great and he has his adamantium claws back and it would have been great to see that type of imagery with Wolverine getting vaporised like you said etc

It's a bit of a shame because in the past he couldn't really fight that Sentinal because his bone claws got stuck in the gattling gun and couldn't slice things like he did with the adamantium claws and while I liked that because it made him more vulnerable, we didnt get an epic fight.

Yeah being a Wolverine fan I can agree with that sentiment but I'm sure there will be plenty of action for him going forward, especially with his own movie to come, but yeah he finally gets a damn fine suit and he never got the chance to show it off which is a shame.

I would have liked him to wear in one scene or two a fur line jacket as a nod to the comics as well, that would have been cool too..
days-of-future-past.jpg

I thought so when you take into account all the garbage that was done in x3 it was a triumph IMO

I felt like it was such a cocktease we didn't get that cover by Singer because he tweeted this photo and you can't tell me this does not look like the jacket from the cover.

epchpmn.jpg

I was so excited for it but it was for the past.

pretty sure Wolverine did wear that jacket during the scenes that take place in the 70s

I know but it does look like his future jacket.

Sigh.

I was thinking something. After Wolverine was drowning and wasn't involved anymore, why didn't Kitty wake him up? I mean I doubt waking Wolverine up would change the past since it was Xavier, Mystique, and Magneto. That way we could see maybe Wolverine fight a future Sentinels with his metal claws and we would see a Sentinel kill him like the comic.

The only thing I wanted was a poster like the classic comic cover. Well thank God we have fans.

3057887-2266410697-Days-.jpg

I think there is a better poster out there. One with Wolverine and Kitty's future suits from the film.

Overall I think it did the comic justice in the best way it could in the X-Men film universe but I think the comic is a better story. Still both stories are great.

tumblr_n65vhkOy7q1qc21l9o1_400.jpg

ANSWER: NO NO JUSTICE TO THE COMIC

However, it is one hell of an adaption that is loosely based on the comic. In some ways it is better than the comic.

So. I think it feels like a WIN WIN but far from the comic.

I actually liked the film version of DOFP better than the comic, just because the film has a lot more conflict.

Sure, the DOFP comic was influential for it's time with the concept etc, but it was only 2 issues and was very simple. Kitty literally gets sent back, the X-Men are training in the Danger Room, Kitty talks about the future and then Storm is like "Ok Kitty, let's go!" and that's pretty much it, they fight Mystique and her Brotherhood, save Charles and Moira from being assassinated too, then it's over without much conflict.

I much prefer the film when Wolverine gets sent back in time and the X-Men AREN'T formed, most of them have been drafted for Vietnam or killed from Trask's experiments and Logan is the one who has to bring back the idea of forming the X-Men again to Charles.

Sure, you can say it's a little convenient that they send Wolverine back to the time when it's the hardest with Charles at his lowest and Erik in prison etc and why didn't they send Logan back to that point in First Class when they meet Logan in the bar so it's easier etc, but you need conflict in a film and the way they done it works.

I think they definitely did the DOFP storyline justice, but in my opinion made it better and added a lot more conflict.

Last edited:

All that they could see was that he couldn't breathe. They had no idea what else was going on in 1973, and since Logan heals the way he can, they were probably hoping he'd heal from whatever that was and continue. They couldn't risk bringing him back if they didn't know if he was still part of changing the future or not. Since they were getting wiped out by the Sentinels, all they knew was that nothing had changed yet.

Certainly. As others have said, there wasn't much to the comic book version of DoFP. It was just a short two issue story. The basic storyline is pretty much the same. Sentinels have taken over the future, so they have to send someone telepathically back through time to prevent Mystique from assassinating the crucial political figure whose death inspired the Sentinel program.

The biggest difference is that in the comics it didn't change the future resulting in Rachel Summers (who in the comics version had the same role Kitty Pryde does in the film) going back to the past as well to find out what went wrong (turns out they belonged to a different timeline). That all happens later, not actually in DoFP itself. DoFP itself leaves the outcome a mystery. I can see why that stuff was dropped.

Last edited:
Based on what I've watched, as well as the script and all, I'd say the movie was a good adaptation. But like the comics, it does ignore the rest of the Marvel Universe. Because I figure Iron Man or others could have found a way to defeat the sentinels. But I guess that's just how it is with some storylines.

Based on what I've watched, as well as the script and all, I'd say the movie was a good adaptation. But like the comics, it does ignore the rest of the Marvel Universe. Because I figure Iron Man or others could have found a way to defeat the sentinels. But I guess that's just how it is with some storylines.

It actually doesn't. In the comics the Sentinels targeted everyone with powers, not just mutants. The other non-X-Men superheroes (with the exception of Franklin Richards) were all said to have been killed prior to the beginning of the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"