Age of Ultron Age of Ultron SPOILER thread, DO NOT enter if you don't want to be spoiled!!! - Part 5

Just for the sake of discussion...

I don't know what you are arguing about. :huh:

He was frozen 70 years ago. Seventy. Seven Zero. The number that comes before 71 and after 69.

He rounded 70 to 75? :whatever:

So, I just watched Avengers last night:

Nick Fury: "Having trouble sleeping?"
Steve Rogers: "I've been asleep 70 years, think I've had enough rest."

It sure wasn't 70 years ago in 2012, was it worth mentioning then?

Is there an official timeline for all the Phase 2 films? Are we to assume everything the character says is set in stone, like metaphysician mentioned on the last page? Can we accept that his quote from the Avengers and the one you mentioned from Age of Ultron give us an accurate timetable for the movies?

Or even if we ignore her line perhaps the entire MCU timeline has been moved up and The Avengers now takes place in 2017 and AoU in 2020. Again none of these are likely but its still interesting to discuss.

This is what came to mind when I was watching the movie yesterday, perhaps the timetable is ahead of what we thought. Like X-Men, "In the near future". Perusing through that other thread you linked to, someone who has done a lot more of their homework than me seems to have debunked that.

Sure, it's a nitpick but it's a nitpick that involves information within the dialog that is either incorrect and in conflict with other movies in the series, or is meant to tell the audience something that doesn't make sense and isn't supported by anything else that happens in the movie.

That 75 years reference bugs the **** out of me.

Zzzzzzzzzzz. This is really what we're talking about? Maybe they should flash what year it is on the screen every time the scene changes to put your mind at ease... Cap was 'asleep' almost 70 years and its been a few years since they thawed him out. It makes sense...

If you don't like what's being discussed, change the conversation.

See, I can be patronizing too.

Sorry this bores you. Fell free unfriend me...or whatever.

But it's not 2020 this year when it was 2014 last year. In the MCU. Still bugs. You may resume your nap now.

(For those still awake, TWS establishes that Cap went in the ice in 1945 since Widow asks Cap if he's been kissed since 1945. Cap responds including at statement that he's 95 years old. Later in the bunker, Zola states Cap's birth year as 1918. So Cap has not yet had his 96th birthday in 2014 -- 69 years after he went into the ice.)

Last edited:
I think Cap was referring to him being frozen in the ice.

Captain America 1's events were during World War II in 1941. At the end of the movie, he was frozen in the ice for 75 years until the modern era.

I think Cap was referring to him being frozen in the ice.

Captain America 1's events were during World War II in 1941. At the end of the movie, he was frozen in the ice for 75 years until the modern era.
Cap went down in the Valkyrie in 1945 (he didn't even rescue Bucky until November 1943 - that year was actually shown on screen as a 'subtitle' as I recall - when they first show him doing his USO bit in front of the troops stationed near the front). if AOU takes place when the film came out (and I don't see why it wouldn't since most of the other Phase 2 films have taken place pretty much when they came out - IM3 an exception since it came out in spring but takes place during the Christmas before it came out), then 75 years after he crashed and literally went into the ice/was frozen wouldn't be until 2020 and Cap is off by 5 years in his comment at the end of AOU. That's what's being discussed - is it a mistake or is the timeline now shifted?

Given other little goofs that have occurred with years and what not (i.e. Bucky having 2 different birth years listed on his Smithsonian exhibit, the December 2013 newspaper in IM3 being incorrect (because that would put the film 14 years after the events of the December 1999 prologue instead of the 13 years stated multiple times in the film)). I say it's probably just a mistake that Joss made when writing (or who knows, maybe Evans flubbed the line and it didn't get caught/they just went with it). It happens.

If an in world explanation were to be given (that wouldn't slide the timeline out to 5 years from our present day), I think spidey's idea that he's speaking more metaphorically when talking about when he 'went into the ice' instead of literally (and referring to when the new Steve Rogers was born with Erskine's experiment) is a pretty reasonable one.

Ultimately though, I think it's just a mistake/goof and shouldn't be taken as canon for when the film takes place/should just be ignored and treated as a goof.

What the Avengers movies are missing is a truly worthy foe for them to fight. The only idea they keep coming up with is a drone army with superior numbers. Hopefully Thanos will break this streak but I'm guessing the Chitauri are going to make a comeback in IW.

But the drone army is such a great trope! :D

OR even Squadron Supreme, I mean that WOULD be the closest we'll EVER see of the JLA fighting Avengers

The awkward moment when HISHE makes a more menacing Ultron in 3 minutes than Joss did in 2.5 hours

[YT]?v=YnZ_-5I72ec[/YT]

Wow! That was incredibly stupid. HSHE is really losing it these days.

Wow! That was incredibly stupid. HSHE is really losing it these days.

I found it kinda funny. But this video ignores the fact that Jarvis was preventing Ultron from accessing all this stuff. Fury even says that Ultron tried to access the world's nukes multiple times but failed because Jarvis kept changing the codes.

Besides, who would have wanted AoU to consist of Ultron nuking the whole world without any fighting? I'm sure people are going to have similar complaints with IW, asking why Thanos won't just kill everyone right away.

Dd you guys see Black Widow has a story in the back of the New Mockingbird Comic and it introduces RED WIDOW? There's a Black Widow Novel out too (NOT a Graphic novel) that covers a bit of Red Widow but from what I've read the novel isn't part of the Comic universe
Y9diHRk.png

I saw that! From what I'm understanding, this Novel actually is going to be canon - at least that's how it seems with the way Marvel is plugging it. She looks pretty badass and I can't wait to see how she plays out (thought Nat will always be my fave)

Nice! Can't wait to read it then!

Joss Whedon Reveals ‘Buffy’ Easter Egg in ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’
During Thor’s visions of Asgard when all kinds of trippy stuff is going down, at one point you catch a glimpse of three masked men in the archways. The man on the left is wearing a wolf mask, in the middle a ram, on the right is a hart (a medieval word for a stag). Wolf, ram, hart. And if you’ve ever seen Whedon’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer spinoff, Angel, you know where we’re going with this.

Here’s a screenshot of the scene in question:

tumblr_nugzggylCr1r4dsjko1_1280.jpg

Whedon confirmed on the Age of Ultron director's commentary that this was a sly nod to Angel, and the villainous Wolf, Ram & Hart.

I saw that! From what I'm understanding, this Novel actually is going to be canon - at least that's how it seems with the way Marvel is plugging it. She looks pretty badass and I can't wait to see how she plays out (thought Nat will always be my fave)
Canon in the comics or the MCU?

LMAO!!!

Honest Trailers - Age of Ultron
[YT]GeDJAKvcZ9o[/YT]

Now that this idiot trailer came out everyone'll say the movie sucks...

It honestly (no pun intended) wasn't anywhere near as harsh as I was expecting it to be. At least they acknowledged the fact that it was unrealistic fan expectations, rather than the movie actually being bad per se that led to it being branded a failure. I expect Cinemasins will be a lot more nasty towards it...

Yeah cinemasins will probably destroy it.

Hulk only listens to Black Widow because the power of boners is stronger.

*Ding!*

"Villain's voice is heard before he enters the room"-cliché.

*Ding!*

Helicarrier Ex-Machina.

*Ding!*

I guarantee that those three will be mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"