Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - 3x10 - "Maveth" - Discussion Thread

I just watched this episode and have to say, I haven't been too impressed by how the writers choose to wrap things up on the midseason and season finales. Everything was just so abrupt and super sporadic. What happened to all the shield agent backup that seemed to be getting ready last episode? Oh, yet again they're all unneeded since a select few agents can simply walk through every obstacle that pops up...

Anyway, like a lot of episodes I've seen there are both lingering plot centric interesting questions the writers should be commended for mixed with some logic (or leftout detail) questions that the writers probably don't care a whole lot about so why should we care much about thinking while watching the show then? I don't know...

Few quick thoughts though:
-I wasn't really thrilled to see the big reveal of the baddie on another planet is just a parasite inhabiting various individuals. That and I didn't care for the predictable way things played out on the planet... Someone mentioned above:
How does "It" control the planet, ie. expand the gorge, creates the dust storms, etc.? Is that part of his Inhuman powers? Why could he not use those powers to stop Coulson and Fitz from leaving and to win the fight against Fitz?
My thoughts exactly. Another person above of course also wondered how Ward/the alient was able to jump through the portal so quickly before it closed and not being noticed by the team awaiting Coulson on the other side... It's stuff like this that kills the show for me. The writers on the show just don't seem to try at all when it comes to wrapping things up it's just like a ton of interesting build then an abrupt that's it here ya go! I know if I were an author who wrote an interesting book, I'd sure as heck want to put a lot of effort when finishing it off.

-Andrew/Lash didn't die from the mustard gas? He's also still Andrew maybe I missed something on that one. Anyway, could've been Ward's humor so I'll give that one a go.

-Ward didn't seem to have much purpose in the show post-Season 1. He became interesting though but the writers just had to put him with the latest plot line (even though the actor plays him well and he's an interesting character) and this seems to be a continuation of that.

In conclusion, I'll admit I was one of those who watched the first episode of the show, gave up on it, watched the last couple episodes of season 1 thinking the finale sucked but somehow got hooked into watching Season 2. I sort of casually went along with it thinking some episodes were better than others but was impressed with the characterization, was detail orientated, and had good storyline ideas but still when things hit the fan the show still seemed to try and develop a huge threat really quickly only to have it dissipate in some sporadic manner. Season 3 I feel much the same as Season 2 so far. It's moving at a faster pace but the same pitfalls remain. I'll probably see what happens the 2nd half of the season but after that I don't know if the show can hold my interest any longer but who knows, I thought that after the end of season 2 then casually watched the beginning of season 3 so I guess the show does some stuff well or I wouldn't be following it.

Last edited:
Hello2016 said:
-Andrew/Lash didn't die from the mustard gas? He's also still Andrew maybe I missed something on that one. Anyway, could've been Ward's humor so I'll give that one a go.
Ward made it clear they didn't expect him to die. Rather, the mustard gas was meant to make him change. Apparently, they wanted to know how to trigger the transformation, and were trying with mustard gas for some reason. But it wasn't meant to be permanent (though eventually that will happen, if he's not killed first, and he's hard to kill). It's not explained how they knew that that wouldn't kill it. Advanced HYDRA science stuff I guess. Or maybe they began with a low concentration.

So, any clue what the old city looks like? I mean it has that Kirby feel to it in a way
Iugnahe.png

Finally had time to watch the ep last night. It was odd the way they kept taking the action off-screen. Bobbie takes out a bunch of Hydra agents...off-screen. Lightning Lad knocks out the generator...off-screen. Lash saves Jenna...off-screen. I guess they blew the FX budget on the plane CGI.

I agree that the return of Ward was waaaaaay too quick. I have a bad feeling the "new" Ward was forshadowed in the suddenly annoying (to me anyhow) "now my life has meaning" Ward who was monologuing at Coulson on planet X.

I was glad to see Daisy's crew finally do something. Hopefully we see more in the second half of the season. Also the Roz flashback/dream was sweet and at least for me helped make up a little bit for the writers just tossing her in the trash last week.

Overall an okay episode.

It was cool the way the whole team worked together to achieve victory. The situation was remarkably tense and risky, with a lot of obstacles in their way, but the heroes' teamwork really carried the day. Kudos to the director and the writers for making it all exciting, and to the actors for playing their parts well. The scene where the whole team was embracing one another was very touching.

I liked the scene where Coulson finally killed Ward on the alien planet. Actually, I loved all the scenes on the planet -- they were quite cool. It's going to be interesting to see what happens now that the alien parasite has escaped to Earth using Ward's body as its new host. Also, the team will have to deal with Lash again soon. It was pretty disturbing when we learned that Lash had slaughtered all of the Inhuman prisoners in the Hydra camp along with the Hydra agents. The second half of Season 3 should be interesting.

Don't try to apply real world physics to this. Think about Tony Stark flying with a single gauntlet... It would break his arm.

Or in the Avengers, when Black Widow grabs a flying chitauri platform without losing a limb.

Just enjoy the show.

You are right of course, I said it myself above, it's a Marvel show, so there's not much sense in wanting it to be too realistic, I just can't help it sometimes. :) And of course there are many more moments like this - or whole ideas the stories are built on (like Ant Man). The scene with Widow hitchhiking the chitauri is really silly, but that does not mean I don't like the movies or the show. I do. :)

I still don't understand how "Ward" got off the planet
I also don't understand how he survived the missiles

I agree that the return of Ward was waaaaaay too quick. I have a bad feeling the "new" Ward was forshadowed in the suddenly annoying (to me anyhow) "now my life has meaning" Ward who was monologuing at Coulson on planet X.

was he sort of parroting malick with that, his previous values of closure where petty and of little consequence or did he have an epiphany and an idea that 'it' would take him over.

Not sure what coulsons guilt is about, he sent hunter to kill ward a few episodes back, missing the moral line here. is it because he was his prisoner?

as i understand it in to comics lash has a code based on culture and believes some are not worthy to be inhumans. In this are we to take it that lash has an instinct to hunt and kill inhumans. Terriganisis weeding out process?

Finally had time to watch the ep last night. It was odd the way they kept taking the action off-screen. Bobbie takes out a bunch of Hydra agents...off-screen. Lightning Lad knocks out the generator...off-screen. Lash saves Jenna...off-screen. I guess they blew the FX budget on the plane CGI.

I was glad to see Daisy's crew finally do something. Hopefully we see more in the second half of the season. Also the Roz flashback/dream was sweet and at least for me helped make up a little bit for the writers just tossing her in the trash last week.

Overall an okay episode.

Too true. lol What the hell was that.

yo yo rodriguez (slingshot) is going to show up in the series...

I think that it is possible that she is one of the inhumans captured by hydra, and has able to use her superspeed to escape lash...

yo yo rodriguez (slingshot) is going to show up in the series...

I think that it is possible that she is one of the inhumans captured by hydra, and has able to use her superspeed to escape lash...

Can't Lash just wait at her starting point? hehe

How does "It" control the planet, ie. expand the gorge, creates the dust storms, etc.? Is that part of his Inhuman powers? Why could he not use those powers to stop Coulson and Fitz from leaving and to win the fight against Fitz?
I don't think "It" can do that.
"It" by taking corpses and the planet make Will be paranoid.

Can't Lash just wait at her starting point? hehe

maybe lash does not know she has a starting point and runs from may before he realizes yo yo is going to be back :p

how do her powers work anyway ?!
what happens if she does not return to her starting point ?!

No. We're referring to Jack Kirby, the penciler, while the Nintendo character is named after John Kirby, Nintendo lawyer.

No. We're referring to Jack Kirby, the penciler, while the Nintendo character is named after John Kirby, Nintendo lawyer.

I'm just kidding obviously, I kinda put it together that it must be some other Kirby :) but thanks for the explanation.

But back to the topic, do you think that the architecture of the city is meant to resemble something on Earth? That it's a link to something?

I doubt it. I'll take them at their word that it's just an alien landscape. I'd imagine an original creation too since there's nothing that seems to come up that mirrors this planet.

It's a parasite with a tentacle-esque shape that you very clearly see slithering around underneath Ward's face.

Oh, and some Marvel Wiki quotes on the Hive...

The Hive was an experiment made to physically embody the Hydra ideal

unknown and unwitting Hydra agent was offered/fed to these parasites as a host around which they could merge into into a singular being. Grotesque and menacing in both stature and appearance The Hive had no identity of its own per se as its collective will dominates the human host it engulfs, however it possesses a quiet and cunning intelligence and as a result of its conditioning is completely dedicated to the Hydra cause

any ailments afflicting the host prior absorption will still be present and will effect The Hive

That last bit is worth noting. Will's leg injury effected the creature, but the rest of the body was fine.

I think you hit the nail on the head with saying the creature that took over Ward is the Hive. Not sure though why the planet seemed to be controlled by it. Unless the planet is still possibly Ego the Living Planet and the Hive is a parasitic part of it's eco system. So essentially they could be working together in a symbiotic relationship. Well anyways just a thought.

Surfer

Here is a few extra thoughts as to why I think the planet still might be Ego and perhaps some amalgramation with The Hive. Ego has control of the weather and terrain. Ego has tunnels that have been compared to arteries. There have been multiple civilizations that have lived on Ego at various times, I know of at least the Wanderers, the Dire Wraiths, and Nova Corps, but perhaps there were others. Those things sound to me like what we have been seeing on the show. To me combing the Hive with Ego the Living Planet just makes the most sense to me. But I guess we will have to wait until next year to find out.

Surfer

which.....cannot crush someone's chest by pushing on it so easily..... unless the entire mechanism involved in pushing is also super

Shouldn't that same logic apply to lifting, though? If your bicep isn't super, how can you easily lift someone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"