Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - 3x14 - "Watchdogs" - Discussion Thread

This episodes was full of shameless MCU references (and the stupid shotgun axe) to try to distract from the fact that it was a poorly written episode. Or maybe that is all the creative team has left for the show anymore.

Eh, this show has done some clunky references in the past, especially during season 1. This episode though, while not brilliantly written, I thought had references that felt pretty natural given the story.

New York
Sokovia
Hell's Kitchen
Ultron
The Avengers
Starktech
Deathlok
Damage Control
Howard Stark
Zero Matter?

The references felt right in the story...but I get the feeling that the story was written around the references, if that makes sense. Everything involving Mack's brother was terrible...some of the most cringe-worthy stuff I've ever seen on this show.

Heck...I even INTENTIONALLY didn't watch last week's episode even though I was at home...the first thing I have ever missed in the MCU...because the show has gotten so clunky and passionless. I will likely get around to watching it at some point...but still. If this week was half decent, I'd be catching up with last week's right now.

Does every group that oppose SHIELD have to be affiliated with HYDRA? Seriously, the producers are obsessed over Hydra and Inhumans. They will probably still have HYDRA as the big bad in season four even though the movies will probably be done with it after Civil War. HYDRA is non existent in the Netflix world and was absent in season two of Agent Carter.

I actually liked the references, (Daredevil, Stark tech., Ultron, etc.) most of which felt quite organic to the story. I also liked a lot of the actual spy stuff that the team was up to.

The writing, however, was quite weak overall. Some of the interactions between Mack and his brother was really terrible at times. Who in their right mind watches a building getting blown up and goes, "Awesome"?

I liked the Watchdogs as a radical/wildcard type of group. However, wasn't a fan of the Watchdogs allying with HYDRA. Not everything has to be about one thing.

I feel the same way about the Inhumans. Not every powered person has to be an Inhuman. Not every plot-line has to be related to the Inhumans to the exclusion of everything else. It's a bit nonsensical at this point that Deathlok isn't a Secret Warrior. The Hive thingy being an Inhuman is quite bizarre. Was Hive human at any point? How did it/he/she devolve into, basically, a brain slug. I really don't think too much thought is being put into this stuff by the writers/showrunners. Why not just make Hive an alien life form?

Outside of somewhat weak writing, that's the main problem I see with the show right now. The MCU is this massive massive sandbox. I feel that the show is boxing itself into a somewhat uninteresting corner of said sandbox.

Last edited:
Good episode.
Nice reference to Daredevil with the gang's war in Hell's Kitchen.
And the Nitramene is from Agent Carter. :woot:

Nice to have Daisy in action, and Mack got the weapon he deserve. :gngl:
Cool to see Blake back.
The Hive thingy being an Inhuman is quite bizarre. Was Hive human at any point? How did it/he/she devolve into, basically, a brain slug. I really don't think too much thought is being put into this stuff by the writers/showrunners.
Yeah, he was probably human before, terrigenesis in the comics can transform human in really weird stuff.

Last edited:
I really liked this episode. I feel the stuff with Mac and his bro wasn't actually pointless and forced, Blakes return was awesome, just hope he hangs around a few more episodes.

Only thing, like some said, I didn't like was Hydra involved again. I got the implication that Blake/Watchdogs don't know they are working with Hydra, but still having them involved with everything is kinda getting annoying.

Mack and Lincoln got some focus. The two of them are the weak links on the show and needed some screen time devoted to them which I didn't mind.

Mack and Daisy's civil liberties argument felt like a Civil War precursor.

The amount of times Shield agents go villainous in the comics and films makes you feel the anti-shield folks probably have a point.

Always liked Mark Gruenwald's extremist terrorist group Watchdogs in the Captain America comics. One of the most continually social and politically relevant villains in comics.

Ceramic Lassie was a chekhov's gun

I liked the Watchdogs as a radical/wildcard type of group. However, wasn't a fan of the Watchdogs allying with HYDRA.

Who says they're allying themselves with HYDRA? Blake probably thinks that Giyera is just some black-market arms dealer. He didn't even know that Giyera is an Inhuman.

The Hive thingy being an Inhuman is quite bizarre. Was Hive human at any point?

Every Inhuman was originally a human.

How did it/he/she devolve into, basically, a brain slug.

Through Terrigenesis.

Who says they're allying themselves with HYDRA? Blake probably thinks that Giyera is just some black-market arms dealer. He didn't even know that Giyera is an Inhuman.
Maybe Blake doesn't know that Giyera is part of HYDRA, but one way or the other, he is forming an alliance with them. Anyway, my point is that HYDRA doesn't have to be behind and/or associated with everything. Like I said, not everything has to be about one thing. The MCU is a huge sandbox, and the show often seems to be unnecessarily limiting itself.
Every Inhuman was originally a human.

Through Terrigenesis.
Yea, obviously. But when you literally portray an Inhuman as a worm-like creature, without too much of an explanation, it obviously causes confusion since every instance of Terrigenesis shown on the show has resulted in the subject physically unaltered most of the time, and basically humanoid the rest of the time. If they do a flashback to Hive's origin story, then great. Else, it's just muddled film making.

Indeed!!

2uo722s.jpg

I'm only seeing a back "x", you're not hot-linking are you? That's why.

IF you are, and for some reason the site you're hot-linking from switches pictures to a rated X image, you COULD end up getting banned for posting it.

IF you are, and for some reason the site you're hot-linking from switches pictures to a rated X image, you COULD end up getting banned for posting it.

The image shows up, its a tinypic url.

Slightly better ep from last week, which isn't saying much. This show is starting to go on the decline real fast for me, especially after another brilliant season of Daredevil.

I literally didn't understood a word you just said .... Only "pic .... posting ... = ban".
But Ok ... I edited the post.
But still, the picture is shown in it in your answer to me. So, you have to edit too.

I literally didn't understood a word you just said .... Only "pic .... posting ... = ban".
But still, the picture is shown in it in your answer to me. So, you have to edit too.
I could see your picture well in your post (and also in his repost)

A lot of neat stuff in this episode. It had a good adaptation of the Watchdogs terrorist group from the Captain America comics and weaved them seamlessly into the world of AoS and the larger MCU. There were a lot of great MCU references throughout the episode too. I liked how they put the spotlight on Mack and his conflicted feelings about the team's activities. Mack is one of the most interesting characters on the show, and I'm glad he finally got his shotgun-ax which he's been wanting so badly. Lol.

Yea, obviously. But when you literally portray an Inhuman as a worm-like creature, without too much of an explanation, it obviously causes confusion since every instance of Terrigenesis shown on the show has resulted in the subject physically unaltered most of the time, and basically humanoid the rest of the time. If they do a flashback to Hive's origin story, then great. Else, it's just muddled film making.

The comics had an Inhuman turn into a door and into an engine, so this isn't crazy.

The image shows up, its a tinypic url.

Slightly better ep from last week, which isn't saying much. This show is starting to go on the decline real fast for me, especially after another brilliant season of Daredevil.

The image wasn't showing up (it is now for what ever reason). NORMALLY Hot-linking an image from one site to another is a no-no here for the reason I listed above. It's basically just copying another sites photo and posting it here without uploading the image to an image hosting site THEN posting it here.
definition

Hotlinking is a term used on the Internet that refers to the practice of displaying an image on a website by linking to the same image on another website, rather than saving a copy of it on the website on which the image will be shown. So, instead of loading picture.jpg on to their own website, a website owner uses a link to the picture as http://example.com/picture.jpg. When the hotlinking website is loaded, the image is loaded from the other website, which uses its bandwidth, costing the hotlinked website's owners money. For this reason many website owners use .htaccess files to prevent hotlinking. In some cases website owners use the .htaccess file to replace any hotlinked images with an offensive image to deter any other website owners from hotlinking.
Hotlinking can also be used for file types other than images, including documents and videos.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"