• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Episode 11 "The Magical Place" Discussion Thread

I thought the brain machine was just creating the false memories for him. He had already been brought back at that point.

We still don't know what state he was in for those few days. Whether they kept him on ice so to speak or whether he was really kaput.

See, I don't think we really know. I would have thought that creating false memories would be easier than skullcapping a dude and zapping him with electric robots for days on end. Has MCU Fury never heard of hypnosis?

And again you're assuming they "brought him back" while I'm going with "they never allowed him to fully die in the first place"

I thought the brain machine was just creating the false memories for him. He had already been brought back at that point.

We still don't know what state he was in for those few days. Whether they kept him on ice so to speak or whether he was really kaput.

Well, we *sorta* do know what state he was in for those few days. One aspect of Ron Glass' soliloquy that very few people here or on the interwebblogosphere still have yet to address is the fact that he said Coulson became "that....thing" during the surgeries. He/it was alive, in some fashion, but clearly had become something which this top SHIELD surgeon had no words for. Alien, undead zombie, gamma monster, killer robot, charmander, whatever.

See, I don't think we really know. I would have thought that creating false memories would be easier than skullcapping a dude and zapping him with electric robots for days on end. Has MCU Fury never heard of hypnosis?

And again you're assuming they "brought him back" while I'm going with "they never allowed him to fully die in the first place"

Personally, I'd say he did fully die. The Doctor specifically said he was dead for 'days', not the 8 or 40 seconds he'd been led to beleive, and the preview for the next ep has Coulson looking at photos of his stiff.

Questions for me is exactly how was it possible to resurrect him and why did they do it?

Personally, I'd say he did fully die. The Doctor specifically said he was dead for 'days', not the 8 or 40 seconds he'd been led to beleive, and the preview for the next ep has Coulson looking at photos of his stiff.

Questions for me is exactly how was it possible to resurrect him and why did they do it?
yeah, I recall that. I wonder how long they can keep someone technically alive and still be brain dead

There's a girl who's being kept alive by machine right now in the states after she died during a tonsil operation, the hospital was wanting to turn off the machine because she's brain dead and the Family wants her to be left on support.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/16/girl-brain-dead-tonsil-surgery_n_4455178.html

After the speculation that Mike Peterson [BLACKOUT]could become Deathlok[/BLACKOUT] I made this concept image:

deathlok_zps7fc2a62d.png

Base Image Source

It'd certainly be an interesting descision, I'd be all for it.

yeah, I recall that. I wonder how long they can keep someone technically alive and still be brain dead

There's a girl who's being kept alive by machine right now in the states after she died during a tonsil operation, the hospital was wanting to turn off the machine because she's brain dead and the Family wants her to be left on support.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/16/girl-brain-dead-tonsil-surgery_n_4455178.html

I have some bitter experience of that: My older brother was hit by a car in 2001. They knew right away he'd suffered a major head injury but did bugger all about it (no operation), his brain swelled up within his skull behind the point of impact (which they knew was happening and did little to prevent other than giving him anti inflammatories on a drip). Things like removing the immediately affected area of the skull to relieve that pressure, a procedure I've read about being done since for damn near identical cases, was evidently beyond these clowns.

This swelling was what we beleive caused the eventual catastrophic damage leading to him being declared 'officially' brain dead by the Doctors 2 days later. They claimed to us his brain activity was no better at the end than when he was first brought in, but to this day our family beleive they were lying and just ###ked it all up (I recall seeing the scans they first took and the last ones they showed us. They were not the same. He'd also visibly gagged and was moving his tongue when they put a spatula thing down his throat the day after the accident)

On that last day the Doctor basically told my parents and his partner they were switching off his life support (didn't need their permission) and were going to harvest his organs for transplants. I wasn't there for that but the Doctor in question was apparently so cold, blunt and downright ruthless about it all my Mother point blank refused to let them take anything (My brother didn't carry a donor card so they did need consent for that). The wanker even said to my mother: 'We don't need your permission, we'll just get it from his wife". Nope, he wasn't married to his partner. My Mum & Dad were his next of kin. I understand they have or will be changing the law here in the UK so they can help themselves without consent, which is a bit shocking imo.

My mum later regretted that decision as it could have helped save others lives, but if that bastard had shown an ounce of compassion instead of twitching his fingers eagerly at the off switch she might have agreed. As it was she was simply too damned angry with them.

I really loved the episode because there was plenty going on. First and foremost, Clark Gregg's acting was superb. He's always great, but he did an especially good job here. Every moment he was onscreen was riveting.

I liked the opening scene where they arrest Vanchat. It was a nicely staged action scene, and it set the stage for the episode quite well. They should do more opening scenes like that one.

The secrets we learned about Coulson's resurrection were very intense and dramatic. I also loved seeing Ron Glass's character return. And there are still a few more questions about Coulson's resurrection left to be answered.

I have some bitter experience of that: My older brother was hit by a car in 2001. They knew right away he'd suffered a major head injury but did bugger all about it (no operation), his brain swelled up within his skull behind the point of impact (which they knew was happening and did little to prevent other than giving him anti inflammatories on a drip). Things like removing the immediately affected area of the skull to relieve that pressure, a procedure I've read about being done since for damn near identical cases, was evidently beyond these clowns.

This swelling was what we beleive caused the eventual catastrophic damage leading to him being declared 'officially' brain dead by the Doctors 2 days later. They claimed to us his brain activity was no better at the end than when he was first brought in, but to this day our family beleive they were lying and just ###ked it all up (I recall seeing the scans they first took and the last ones they showed us. They were not the same. He'd also visibly gagged and was moving his tongue when they put a spatula thing down his throat the day after the accident)

On that last day the Doctor basically told my parents and his partner they were switching off his life support (didn't need their permission) and were going to harvest his organs for transplants. I wasn't there for that but the Doctor in question was apparently so cold, blunt and downright ruthless about it all my Mother point blank refused to let them take anything (My brother didn't carry a donor card so they did need consent for that). The wanker even said to my mother: 'We don't need your permission, we'll just get it from his wife". Nope, he wasn't married to his partner. My Mum & Dad were his next of kin. I understand they have or will be changing the law here in the UK so they can help themselves without consent, which is a bit shocking imo.

My mum later regretted that decision as it could have helped save others lives, but if that bastard had shown an ounce of compassion instead of twitching his fingers eagerly at the off switch she might have agreed. As it was she was simply too damned angry with them.

Sorry about your loss wobbly :(

Sorry about your loss wobbly :(

Thanks. Didn't mean to derail the thread or anything, just reading that article and that families own concerns over a clear 'lack of urgency' from the hospital staff brought it all back again.

Yeah, I remember some of that bud, Did your brother sign some documant like a drivers license for them to take the organs? HERE they can't take the organs unless other wise told before hand in some legal way.

Yeah, I remember some of that bud, Did your brother sign some documant like a drivers license for them to take the organs? HERE they can't take the organs unless other wise told before hand in some legal way.

No, no donor cards or anything like that (something we never really thought about before then, he was only 39 after all), so they did require consent from next of kin. Tbh, it's not something I wanna think about right now (time heals many wounds but some scars stay forever, and that one will forever piss me off).

Jesus wobbly, that's awful. My condolences.

Doctors should have to pass a test for basic human decency and compassion before they're allowed to practice.

So, I'm watching it right now, and I'm totally tripping that The Bus did a Crazy Ivan without telling anyone to hold on to anything. Everyone on board would have been so jacked up.

So, I'm watching it right now, and I'm totally tripping that The Bus did a Crazy Ivan without telling anyone to hold on to anything. Everyone on board would have been so jacked up.
:up:
That's why all Coulson's valuables are glued down! :funny:

That maneuver is covered the first week in SHIELD Academy, they were all ready for it :oldrazz:

Finally got around to watching this (back on in the uk), and meh. The final moments were nice but damn this show is awful still. Clark Gregg deserves better than this, him begging for death was harrowing.

Finally got around to watching this (back on in the uk), and meh. The final moments were nice but damn this show is awful still. Clark Gregg deserves better than this, him begging for death was harrowing.

I can't stop think about that entire scene, from the eerie and creepy look on Fury's face to the frightening way Coulson starts to unravel what's real but buried beneath the Tahiti memory (especially when the doctors are revealed in the place of the servers).

I haven't heard someone call this show awful in a long time lol. It's been on quite the streak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"