Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - LEVEL 11 - Part 10

Probably. I think he become more of an afterthought once the younger folks started getting their own plot lines.

I think so, depending on what you mean by succeed. Could it keep its fanbase and be viable by whatever criteria Marvel, ABC, and Disney are using for viability? I think so.

So could this show really succeed without ClarkGregg?
The Avengers and Iron Man appearances were many years ago. I think it can do as well as with Clark Gregg taking into account the dwindling general TV audience and going up against other summer series instead of the prestigious fall and winter shows.

As to whether the show can succeed without Gregg...... they have announced the ending...so does it matter? I would miss him. I don't think it would be as good without him. But the show is ending next year after a shortened season....so there is no succeeding to worry about.

When did they announce an ending? The last thing I remembered seeing is that, as a summer replacement show, they might be OK with several more years.

I've not heard about any ending either.... on the contrary, they're talking about the next season NOT being seen as the final one atm

The shortened season summer series experiment could give AOS an extended life far beyond year 6. The post (Agent) May slot takes the ratings pressure off of both the program and ABC and allows the network to keep a Marvel presence on the air. As we've seen, the show's format allows for lots of different types of storytelling and can introduce characters neglected on the big screen. If the summer series meet expectations we could also see (additional) major cast changes every year to keep the costs in check.

It was never announced as a final season, in fact an EW journalist tweeted that ABC definitely doesn't see season six that way. Maybe people are confusing it with the situation Gotham is in.

I think the abbreviated season airing in the summer gives the impression this is the final season coupled with Clark Gregg (probably) leaving more than anything else.

Right now there's loads of questions and no answers... Give it a few months and we'll know more

Disney is launching their own streaming service next fall. I see next summer's run as a test to see how fans like an eleven episode season. If it works then the move SHIELD to streaming which gives them a lot more control/options and gives them more to put on their service to compete with Netflix/Amazon. They have said (for now) that the Netflix series will remain with Netflix but anything can change.

I think the abbreviated season airing in the summer gives the impression this is the final season coupled with Clark Gregg (probably) leaving more than anything else.

This show will get to 10 seasons. Mark my words. More successful shows are getting cancelled by the day. ABC wants to let it die but some higher up person won't let them do it. I guess they just want bragging rights that it reached 10 seasons or something....:shrug:

It's been a cult favorite and has a pretty loud fanbase, they know what they have, but they threw it Fridays to make room for more reality shows.

Disney is launching their own streaming service next fall. I see next summer's run as a test to see how fans like an eleven episode season. If it works then the move SHIELD to streaming which gives them a lot more control/options and gives them more to put on their service to compete with Netflix/Amazon. They have said (for now) that the Netflix series will remain with Netflix but anything can change.

Netflix owns the distribution rights to those series, they are essentially their IPs in the same sense that Hulk movies are Universal's. Netflix could sell the rights to Disney I suppose, but that seems highly unlikely.

This show really needs to end. This past season was quite mediocre.

Well as a 13 week summer replacement look at what your options are to fill the space. A mediocre Agents is better than another hour of a 70's game show that for some reason the networks now shown in prime time instead of between the soap operas and local news. The people that remember the originals are now in their 50's and above but it is cheap content

This show really needs to end. This past season was quite mediocre.
That's your opinion. Just because you didn't like the past season doesn't mean the show should end.

I've only just finished watching Season 4 and don't want any spoilers for Season 5 so I have to ask this here instead of using Google.

I'm aware that Season 6 is coming until next year but is returning mid-season or middle of 2019?

Is this delay so the show is not inconsistent with the events of Avengers 3 & 4 or is it caused by production issues, ratings, etc.

Also, are the stories of the other Marvel shows (on Netflix, Runaways, Cloak & Dagger) going to be impacted by the events of Infinity War or just be set before and after Avengers 3 & 4?

I don't think the Netflix Marvel shows are the kind of thing that Disney put on it's streaming service.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. would be a push too. It can be quite violent.

I've only just finished watching Season 4 and don't want any spoilers for Season 5 so I have to ask this here instead of using Google.

I'm aware that Season 6 is coming until next year but is returning mid-season or middle of 2019?

Is this delay so the show is not inconsistent with the events of Avengers 3 & 4 or is it caused by production issues, ratings, etc.

Also, are the stories of the other Marvel shows (on Netflix, Runaways, Cloak & Dagger) going to be impacted by the events of Infinity War or just be set before and after Avengers 3 & 4?

The reason for the delay is unclear. It seems hard to imagine it not being related to Infinity War in some way, but I don't believe anyone has acknowledged that. Certainly, there are reasons to think the shows ratings situation has something to do with it. The show doesn't do well live, but does do well in delayed viewing, streaming, and digital sales. What this means is people typically don't go out of their way to watch it live, but they still watch it. In other words, if the show wants to be profitable, they can't depend on the people who watch it Friday nights. Given that, I think ABC's goal is to air the show during a time when ratings are expected to be low regardless of the show (summer is a good example of that) and then try and make additional money through other means.

If the delay is due to Infinity War, I don't expect it to affect other shows. None of the other shows directly tie in as clearly as Agents of SHIELD and certainly have no qualms about having their seasons set prior to where a movie is set. The Netflix shows, for example, are on a delay. I suspect Cloak and Dagger is as well simply because there was a long delay between filming and when it was released. However, since it was a summer show to begin with, it's reasonable to guess next season will come out in the summer too.

The summer release date was probably part of the deal with ABC. Probably more so than not wanting to spoil Avengers 4. Instead of putting it up against the premiere programs of the ratings sweeps seasons and pre Christmas sale advertising it is slotted where we have been seeing the second tier talent contest and the rebirth of 60s day time game shows because they are cheap.

The reason for the delay is unclear. It seems hard to imagine it not being related to Infinity War in some way, but I don't believe anyone has acknowledged that. Certainly, there are reasons to think the shows ratings situation has something to do with it. The show doesn't do well live, but does do well in delayed viewing, streaming, and digital sales. What this means is people typically don't go out of their way to watch it live, but they still watch it. In other words, if the show wants to be profitable, they can't depend on the people who watch it Friday nights. Given that, I think ABC's goal is to air the show during a time when ratings are expected to be low regardless of the show (summer is a good example of that) and then try and make additional money through other means.

If the delay is due to Infinity War, I don't expect it to affect other shows. None of the other shows directly tie in as clearly as Agents of SHIELD and certainly have no qualms about having their seasons set prior to where a movie is set. The Netflix shows, for example, are on a delay. I suspect Cloak and Dagger is as well simply because there was a long delay between filming and when it was released. However, since it was a summer show to begin with, it's reasonable to guess next season will come out in the summer too.

The summer release date was probably part of the deal with ABC. Probably more so than not wanting to spoil Avengers 4. Instead of putting it up against the premiere programs of the ratings sweeps seasons and pre Christmas sale advertising it is slotted where we have been seeing the second tier talent contest and the rebirth of 60s day time game shows because they are cheap.

Thank you both.:cwink:

For all the talk of what The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. show runners not seeing anything more than the audience trailer for Infinity War perhaps by chance
Ant-Man and the Wasp spoiler ahead
Phil and Melinda's last scene on the beach look surprisingly similar to Hank and Janet on their beach.

Just a heads up with Ant Man spoilers... the UK (and i believe Europe as a whole) won't get to see the movie for another month because Marvel thinks the World Cup is going to get in the way....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"